Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory snowflakes update 18:23 - Mar 20 with 7805 viewstractordownsouth

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Tory snowflakes update on 10:44 - Mar 22 with 934 viewsDJR

Tory snowflakes update on 09:46 - Mar 22 by redrickstuhaart

Why is it wrong, rather than just not to your taste. What actual issue or problem does it cause? Your challenge is to answer without sounding like lee anderson....

Incidentally the 1966 shirt did not have a little cross on the neck, or at all. What disrespectful woke scum they were. Its political correctness gone mad.

Interestingly, in those days the Union Jack (wrongly) appeared to be the flag most associated with England.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=P4RAIMhC&id=517250
Tory snowflakes update on 10:51 - Mar 22 with 899 viewsDJR

Tory snowflakes update on 10:40 - Mar 22 by leitrimblue

Is it because the English don't have any agreeable culture that they end up arguing over the colours of the flag of a dragon slayer from the otherside of the world?

You forgot morris dancing.
Tory snowflakes update on 10:55 - Mar 22 with 887 viewsmutters

Tory snowflakes update on 10:40 - Mar 22 by leitrimblue

Is it because the English don't have any agreeable culture that they end up arguing over the colours of the flag of a dragon slayer from the otherside of the world?

If you think St George was from the other side of the world then to need to travel more 😀

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Tory snowflakes update on 10:59 - Mar 22 with 860 viewsHerbivore

Tory snowflakes update on 10:55 - Mar 22 by mutters

If you think St George was from the other side of the world then to need to travel more 😀

He was from Turkey wasn't he, or thereabouts? Given that Nike are named after the Greek goddess of trainers, don't they both have about as much right as each other to determine our national flag?
[Post edited 22 Mar 11:13]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tory snowflakes update on 11:01 - Mar 22 with 859 viewsDJR

The woke agenda is very clever because it is designed to whip up outrage, the result being that people end up focusing on trivia such as this whilst the country goes down the pan.

Of course, it looks like it's too late to save the Tories this time round because they have been in power for so long (and Reform have rather stolen their thunder), but the woke agenda, along with other issues focused on by the right, looks like they will be effective to ensure Trump is re-elected.
[Post edited 22 Mar 11:08]
Tory snowflakes update on 11:13 - Mar 22 with 819 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tory snowflakes update on 11:01 - Mar 22 by DJR

The woke agenda is very clever because it is designed to whip up outrage, the result being that people end up focusing on trivia such as this whilst the country goes down the pan.

Of course, it looks like it's too late to save the Tories this time round because they have been in power for so long (and Reform have rather stolen their thunder), but the woke agenda, along with other issues focused on by the right, looks like they will be effective to ensure Trump is re-elected.

It pits values against values doesn't it. So both 'sides' are justified in saying that they're right, in that they believe what they believe. It doesn't necessarily mean they are believing something that's true, but that's another story.

It's VERY effective up to a point and hard to counter. When someone stops believing it all breaks down, as we're seeing with the Tories. By not rising to it, and seemingly embracing views that are counter to what you'd expect, Starmer may be playing a blinder here. He also may not be of course, and it could backfire if he alienates 'traditional' labour supporters too much in the meantime. If he does he'll then need to win those people back through his policies. But then if he pivots towards the core traditional support, he'll alienate those he's trying to win over to secure a big majority. What a mess.

Going a bit off track with speculating on Starmer, but this is ultimately about politics.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tory snowflakes update on 11:15 - Mar 22 with 805 viewsHerbivore

Tory snowflakes update on 11:01 - Mar 22 by DJR

I don't really see what this has to do with the woke agenda though? The colours Nike have used don't have anything to do with any particular 'woke' cause. It's mad really, all this frothing over the design of a football shirt.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tory snowflakes update on 11:22 - Mar 22 with 793 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tory snowflakes update on 11:15 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

I don't really see what this has to do with the woke agenda though? The colours Nike have used don't have anything to do with any particular 'woke' cause. It's mad really, all this frothing over the design of a football shirt.

Maybe it's close enough colours for people to get confused with the rainbow motif? Let's face it we're talking about people like Lee Anderson - he's unlikely to know the difference!

Or just 'messing with the flag' is enough to get some people frothing at the mouth.

Login to get fewer ads

Tory snowflakes update on 11:24 - Mar 22 with 786 viewsredrickstuhaart

Tory snowflakes update on 11:22 - Mar 22 by Swansea_Blue

Maybe it's close enough colours for people to get confused with the rainbow motif? Let's face it we're talking about people like Lee Anderson - he's unlikely to know the difference!

Or just 'messing with the flag' is enough to get some people frothing at the mouth.

Im intrigued to know why they think it is 'woke'.
Tory snowflakes update on 11:25 - Mar 22 with 783 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Tory snowflakes update on 11:13 - Mar 22 by Swansea_Blue

It pits values against values doesn't it. So both 'sides' are justified in saying that they're right, in that they believe what they believe. It doesn't necessarily mean they are believing something that's true, but that's another story.

It's VERY effective up to a point and hard to counter. When someone stops believing it all breaks down, as we're seeing with the Tories. By not rising to it, and seemingly embracing views that are counter to what you'd expect, Starmer may be playing a blinder here. He also may not be of course, and it could backfire if he alienates 'traditional' labour supporters too much in the meantime. If he does he'll then need to win those people back through his policies. But then if he pivots towards the core traditional support, he'll alienate those he's trying to win over to secure a big majority. What a mess.

Going a bit off track with speculating on Starmer, but this is ultimately about politics.

I’m not sure if I’ve misunderstood your post, but I don’t think it’s correct to shoehorn the traditional labour voter as being overwhelmingly socially progressive. A huge amount of their traditional core support are northern working class, socially conservative, ‘patriotic’ voters and have been for decades.

Apologies don’t want to send the thread on a tangent but it seemed to be somewhat back to front, I’d say Starmer is moving Labour back to their core support from the Momentum types to a much larger demographic, and one that Labour never get elected without getting them onside.
Tory snowflakes update on 11:26 - Mar 22 with 776 viewsitfcjoe

I think someone has shown that the colours are part of a Bisexual flag (who knew there were so many flags) even though (presunably) obviously not linked to bisexuality, but it's the worst of both worlds.....it looks as though it is linked to something like Pride, but it actually isn't so there's no way to show a proper defence or reasoning for it for those like me who simply don't like it, and it still sets off the culture war

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tory snowflakes update on 11:26 - Mar 22 with 771 viewsDJR

The woke aspect of it is its being picked up as an issue by Anderson et al.
Tory snowflakes update on 11:29 - Mar 22 with 753 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 11:22 - Mar 22 by Swansea_Blue

It's more that it's close enough for them to get away with saying it and it not be easy to shoot down quickly, so the damage is done

Tory snowflakes update on 11:30 - Mar 22 with 750 viewsleitrimblue

Tory snowflakes update on 10:55 - Mar 22 by mutters

He's hardly from Stowmarket
Tory snowflakes update on 11:31 - Mar 22 with 743 viewsleitrimblue

Tory snowflakes update on 10:51 - Mar 22 by DJR

You forgot morris dancing.

Give yer binge drinking and poor quality tattoos as well
Tory snowflakes update on 11:35 - Mar 22 with 734 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tory snowflakes update on 11:25 - Mar 22 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I’m not sure if I’ve misunderstood your post, but I don’t think it’s correct to shoehorn the traditional labour voter as being overwhelmingly socially progressive. A huge amount of their traditional core support are northern working class, socially conservative, ‘patriotic’ voters and have been for decades.

Apologies don’t want to send the thread on a tangent but it seemed to be somewhat back to front, I’d say Starmer is moving Labour back to their core support from the Momentum types to a much larger demographic, and one that Labour never get elected without getting them onside.

That's a fair point. The Red Wall after all is their heartland, as opposed to Owen Jones Oxbridge educated types. There has been a huge shift in the demographic of Labour support over several decades, so yeah point well made.

Starmer's issue is that he's got to try to keep both sorts (and all the sorts in between) happy. Or does he? Does he just need to recapture the red wall and make decent strides in Scotland? I'm not sure how the numbers play out.

Tory snowflakes update on 11:54 - Mar 22 with 694 viewsDJR

Tory snowflakes update on 11:25 - Mar 22 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Interestingly though, those of the same demographic in Scotland haven't fallen for Tories since 1955.

There is something different going on in England which amongst other things led to the Brexit vote, when nearly two-thirds of Scots voted to remain.
[Post edited 22 Mar 12:00]
Tory snowflakes update on 12:03 - Mar 22 with 665 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory snowflakes update on 11:30 - Mar 22 by leitrimblue

He's hardly from Stowmarket

St George is as English as St Patrick is Irish mate.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tory snowflakes update on 12:05 - Mar 22 with 659 viewsPinewoodblue

If it isn’t red on white then it isn’t the cross of Saint George …just a silly design feature no doubt with the intention of generating interest in the product. Nike have achieved their objective.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Tory snowflakes update on 12:23 - Mar 22 with 623 viewsLankHenners

Tory snowflakes update on 08:44 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

Because it's the National Flag on the National Shirt, right is doing it correctly, wrong is changing it with no explanation or need.

What's odd is that they do have an explanation for it - that it's a small change to reference the 1966 World Cup training kit - but rather than leading with that they just went for the marketing mumbo jumbo of 'unite and inspire' which is unclear in meaning on the face of it and leaves itself open to all the nonsense which has followed. Not as if it works as much of a 'any press is good press' thing to sell more shirts as they're so expensive in the first place!

Plenty of clubs, Town included, obviously do stuff like that to mix past success with modernity and don't really see an issue with the National Team doing something similar (though understand if people think they should do so in another way which doesn't alter the flag). Although saying that I don't think had it been made obvious that that was their angle it would have prevented all this stupid discourse anyway.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Tory snowflakes update on 12:37 - Mar 22 with 592 viewsPlums

It's brought out all the brightest sparks

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Tory snowflakes update on 12:42 - Mar 22 with 583 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 12:23 - Mar 22 by LankHenners

What's odd is that they do have an explanation for it - that it's a small change to reference the 1966 World Cup training kit - but rather than leading with that they just went for the marketing mumbo jumbo of 'unite and inspire' which is unclear in meaning on the face of it and leaves itself open to all the nonsense which has followed. Not as if it works as much of a 'any press is good press' thing to sell more shirts as they're so expensive in the first place!

Plenty of clubs, Town included, obviously do stuff like that to mix past success with modernity and don't really see an issue with the National Team doing something similar (though understand if people think they should do so in another way which doesn't alter the flag). Although saying that I don't think had it been made obvious that that was their angle it would have prevented all this stupid discourse anyway.

It's a very strange angle though, because the 1966 training kit was distinct blue, red and white stripes and doesn't look purple at all....!

There was something on the BBC story about it where a football kit designer said this, which seems pretty mental....

"Obviously, that blue and red stripe together from a distance creates a bit of a purple,"

I'm not sure how far away from this picture you'd need to get before you can see a bit of purple?

Tory snowflakes update on 12:51 - Mar 22 with 560 viewsleitrimblue

Tory snowflakes update on 12:03 - Mar 22 by GlasgowBlue

St George is as English as St Patrick is Irish mate.

Eeerrrmm, no, not really.
St George is from the middle East. Doesn't speak or understand the language of the English of that time period (OE). Has no knowledge or understanding of English culture of that time.
Dragon slaying is not a traditional English hobby.
He was probably unaware of the existence of England.

St Patrick came from the British Isles.
Spoke a similar language and was of a similar culture to the Irish ( though who knows wether the concept if Irish truely existed at the time).
Spent much of his adult life in Ireland and was completely aware, 1 could even say fundamental to Irish culture.

I'm more of a Colmcille man myself.
Think Patrick's importance was pushed by the O' Neil's and other Ulster clans who later claimed to be descended from him.

Think we should dump George and replace him with St Edmund personally.
Start building a English culture..
Tory snowflakes update on 13:09 - Mar 22 with 532 viewsDJR

Tory snowflakes update on 12:37 - Mar 22 by Plums

It's brought out all the brightest sparks

An irony lost on him is that his Union Jack is the wrong colour, being a mixture of blue, black and white.
[Post edited 22 Mar 13:10]
Tory snowflakes update on 13:27 - Mar 22 with 501 viewsDJR

Tory snowflakes update on 12:42 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

It's a very strange angle though, because the 1966 training kit was distinct blue, red and white stripes and doesn't look purple at all....!

There was something on the BBC story about it where a football kit designer said this, which seems pretty mental....

"Obviously, that blue and red stripe together from a distance creates a bit of a purple,"

I'm not sure how far away from this picture you'd need to get before you can see a bit of purple?

Interestingly though, red, white and blues is a feature of the Union Jack, not the English flag, so even then it wasn't strictly correct to have blue in the kit.

And I've never really understood the blue shorts which go with the white shirt.
[Post edited 22 Mar 13:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024