Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory snowflakes update 18:23 - Mar 20 with 7835 viewstractordownsouth

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Tory snowflakes update on 22:44 - Mar 21 with 980 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory snowflakes update on 21:50 - Mar 21 by Swansea_Blue

Sorry for the link, but I thought that was the best place to find evidence of people being upset. I don’t see the problem with it myself, but apparently some people worried about things like this even back then. It wouldn’t have been amplified then as we weren’t as divided.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2118709/London-2012-Team-GB-models-Ol

Plus it's just 'annoyed from Chipping Ongar' moaning about it rather than a high profile politician or failed football manager.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tory snowflakes update on 00:06 - Mar 22 with 932 viewsTrequartista

Oh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68632034

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Tory snowflakes update on 00:18 - Mar 22 with 928 viewsTrequartista

It seems to me that anyone not actually having a straight-forward opinion on the issue, but instead are just putting people into groups to sneer at, are indeed playing the culture wars game themselves, only to be undone by the criticism from the leader of the Labour Party.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Tory snowflakes update on 01:25 - Mar 22 with 899 viewsBugs

Tory snowflakes update on 00:18 - Mar 22 by Trequartista

It seems to me that anyone not actually having a straight-forward opinion on the issue, but instead are just putting people into groups to sneer at, are indeed playing the culture wars game themselves, only to be undone by the criticism from the leader of the Labour Party.

It's a nothing issue that politicians shouldn't be worried about. I would much prefer to hear Starmer tell me how he's going to fix the country without taxing the mega wealthy.
Tory snowflakes update on 02:55 - Mar 22 with 883 viewstcblue

I like our new flag

Can Nike sort out the national anthem next? It's a dreadful dirge
Tory snowflakes update on 06:54 - Mar 22 with 828 viewsHerbivore

Tory snowflakes update on 00:06 - Mar 22 by Trequartista

Oh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68632034

Keir loves a bit of flag shagging.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tory snowflakes update on 06:55 - Mar 22 with 822 viewsHerbivore

This makes no sense.

Tory snowflakes update on 07:08 - Mar 22 with 818 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 01:25 - Mar 22 by Bugs

It's a nothing issue that politicians shouldn't be worried about. I would much prefer to hear Starmer tell me how he's going to fix the country without taxing the mega wealthy.

I’m sure politicians are capable of forming opinions on other things without it distracting them from their main policies and thoughts

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Tory snowflakes update on 07:52 - Mar 22 with 781 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory snowflakes update on 01:25 - Mar 22 by Bugs

Tell me. Do you worry about how Ipswich will get on next week whilst at the same time do yiur jib, pay your bills and form opinions on more important issues than a game of football?

Its as if people are capable of having a view on numerous issues.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tory snowflakes update on 08:27 - Mar 22 with 755 viewsredrickstuhaart

Tory snowflakes update on 07:08 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

I’m sure politicians are capable of forming opinions on other things without it distracting them from their main policies and thoughts

It is sensible politics in an election year. Tories would play on the "he's woke and anti british" thing otherwise.

Had to turn off talksport. Morons getting incandescent about it for no reason they could actually articulate. Its not woke (unless I have missed the design somehow being in support of disabled black lesbians), nor is it "dumbing down" as some angry automoton insisted. Its a funky bit of design which you can choose to like or not. Pathetic.

As for the references to "you wouldnt see them do that with the stars and stripes"? Well- you might. But either way, why would anyone want to draw parallels with the agressive jingoistic patriotism of the US? A nation which forces children to say an oath of allegiance at school every morning and has a national scandal when someone takes a knee?
Tory snowflakes update on 08:32 - Mar 22 with 744 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 08:27 - Mar 22 by redrickstuhaart

It is sensible politics in an election year. Tories would play on the "he's woke and anti british" thing otherwise.

Had to turn off talksport. Morons getting incandescent about it for no reason they could actually articulate. Its not woke (unless I have missed the design somehow being in support of disabled black lesbians), nor is it "dumbing down" as some angry automoton insisted. Its a funky bit of design which you can choose to like or not. Pathetic.

As for the references to "you wouldnt see them do that with the stars and stripes"? Well- you might. But either way, why would anyone want to draw parallels with the agressive jingoistic patriotism of the US? A nation which forces children to say an oath of allegiance at school every morning and has a national scandal when someone takes a knee?

I personally don't think it's 'woke', think it just looks rubbish and is the wrong thing to have done - I think the cross should have stayed as it is on the shirt, but would have been much more on board with it if there was some actual explanation of what it was trying to achieve rather than leaving it open to be deliberately misinterpreted by the culture warriors who couldn't give a toss about football generally.

Tory snowflakes update on 08:33 - Mar 22 with 739 viewsredrickstuhaart

Tory snowflakes update on 08:32 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

I personally don't think it's 'woke', think it just looks rubbish and is the wrong thing to have done - I think the cross should have stayed as it is on the shirt, but would have been much more on board with it if there was some actual explanation of what it was trying to achieve rather than leaving it open to be deliberately misinterpreted by the culture warriors who couldn't give a toss about football generally.

Why is it "wrong"? Its such a non-issue.
Tory snowflakes update on 08:44 - Mar 22 with 716 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 08:33 - Mar 22 by redrickstuhaart

Why is it "wrong"? Its such a non-issue.

Because it's the National Flag on the National Shirt, right is doing it correctly, wrong is changing it with no explanation or need.

Says the angry automoton. (n/t) on 08:48 - Mar 22 with 707 viewsBloots

Tory snowflakes update on 08:27 - Mar 22 by redrickstuhaart

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Tory snowflakes update on 09:46 - Mar 22 with 657 viewsredrickstuhaart

Tory snowflakes update on 08:44 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

Because it's the National Flag on the National Shirt, right is doing it correctly, wrong is changing it with no explanation or need.

Why is it wrong, rather than just not to your taste. What actual issue or problem does it cause? Your challenge is to answer without sounding like lee anderson....

Incidentally the 1966 shirt did not have a little cross on the neck, or at all. What disrespectful woke scum they were. Its political correctness gone mad.
Tory snowflakes update on 10:02 - Mar 22 with 632 viewsbrazil1982

Tory snowflakes update on 08:44 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

I'd like to know how this change will "unite and inspire" supporters.

"I really want to buy that shirt, the little flag on the collar really inspires me"
Tory snowflakes update on 10:07 - Mar 22 with 610 viewsmutters

Tory snowflakes update on 09:46 - Mar 22 by redrickstuhaart

Why is it wrong, rather than just not to your taste. What actual issue or problem does it cause? Your challenge is to answer without sounding like lee anderson....

Incidentally the 1966 shirt did not have a little cross on the neck, or at all. What disrespectful woke scum they were. Its political correctness gone mad.

Imagine redesigning the town badge and making it green and yellow. Would you be ok with that? We could term it a playful reimagining of it if you like.

The issue is that that flag is very iconic across the world (for good and bad) and it is part of the national identity. Now some people are more passionate about it, others less so and that's ok. It doesn't make their views any less valid because they want the English flag to be left untouched.

In the past when the flag has been changed, there has always been a reason given. LGBTQ for example when it was turned rainbow. People understood, though a portion will still not agree. This time the voice is coming from Nike rather than a FA directive, and it's done with no really reason as far as I can see apart from being quirky.

People are proud to be English and so are quite protective of such iconography

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Tory snowflakes update on 10:07 - Mar 22 with 610 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 09:46 - Mar 22 by redrickstuhaart

What actual issue or problem does it solve?

Either put the flag on, or don't, but if you put the flag on then put the actual flag on, it's not that difficult.

Wrong, incorrect, any other synonym you choose.

I am aware other England shirts didn't have the flag on, I don't really think your last point is in anyway relevant.

Jack Pitt-Brooke summed it up pretty well in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/5360479/2024/03/22/england-nike-collar-flag/

Some people simply do not like the design, as is always the case. Some people would rather the flag was kept in its traditional colours, quite understandably. But for another group, this was something else. It was an insult, a betrayal, an example of a woke agenda being forced upon England fans. A petition on Change.org entitled ‘SAVE ST GEORGE’S CROSS IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL’, started by one ‘Alfred Ramsey’, argues that the tiny motif on the back of the shirt’s collar is “political”, “divisive” and “damaging”. It calls on the similarly-minded to sign the petition to show the FA and Nike that “the English people and our ancient affinity for football refuse to be erased”. So far, almost 11,000 people have done so.

The bolded part is my view, and sure that of plenty of others that you and others want to put into the latter category and conflate those to insult.

Tory snowflakes update on 10:18 - Mar 22 with 576 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Surely the real crime here is charging £125 for something that cost about £8 to make - they should be boycotted for price gouging whatever colour the flag…
Tory snowflakes update on 10:19 - Mar 22 with 571 viewsHerbivore

Tory snowflakes update on 10:07 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

Either put the flag on, or don't, but if you put the flag on then put the actual flag on, it's not that difficult.

I am aware other England shirts didn't have the flag on, I don't really think your last point is in anyway relevant.

Some people simply do not like the design, as is always the case. Some people would rather the flag was kept in its traditional colours, quite understandably. But for another group, this was something else. It was an insult, a betrayal, an example of a woke agenda being forced upon England fans. A petition on Change.org entitled ‘SAVE ST GEORGE’S CROSS IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL’, started by one ‘Alfred Ramsey’, argues that the tiny motif on the back of the shirt’s collar is “political”, “divisive” and “damaging”. It calls on the similarly-minded to sign the petition to show the FA and Nike that “the English people and our ancient affinity for football refuse to be erased”. So far, almost 11,000 people have done so.

The bolded part is my view, and sure that of plenty of others that you and others want to put into the latter category and conflate those to insult.

The stuff below the bit in bold is absolutely bonkers though.

Tory snowflakes update on 10:22 - Mar 22 with 559 viewsredrickstuhaart

Tory snowflakes update on 10:07 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

When you talk about something being simply 'wrong' you put yourself in the category that is not in bold.
Tory snowflakes update on 10:25 - Mar 22 with 551 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 10:19 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

The stuff below the bit in bold is absolutely bonkers though.

Absolutely, and it will be driven by people who have no interest in football but just see it as the latest opportunity to grift.

I note Joey Barton is talking about a flag inside the neck of the away shirt which has different colours on where I personally couldn't give a toss about that as it's not part of the shirt design that is on display.

It's just utterly pointless from Nike, and the FA, and causes a load of rubbish for no real reason - had they made it a rainbow flag then those in that middle camp would have at least understood it and those in the far camp would have still been angry, because that is what they do.

Tory snowflakes update on 10:27 - Mar 22 with 545 viewsSwansea_Blue

What’s Starmer got to do with anything? If I don’t care that the flag is stylise in a design piece, I’m not going to change my mind because of what he thinks. I couldn’t give a monkey’s what he thinks. And there’s a very good chance he doesn’t think that in any case. But even if he does, so what?

This is all very odd. If people don’t want our flag altered and used in this way, fine. If people don’t mind, also fine. Kicking off about it in the press (or giving credence to the press/pundits/politicians who are trying to get people to kick off about it) and then arguing about it for hours = very odd. Far more important things to complain about imo (I've deleted this as it made me sound like a self-righteous twot lol. People can worry about what they want of course).
[Post edited 22 Mar 11:05]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tory snowflakes update on 10:30 - Mar 22 with 536 viewsitfcjoe

Tory snowflakes update on 10:22 - Mar 22 by redrickstuhaart

When you talk about something being simply 'wrong' you put yourself in the category that is not in bold.

No, you put me in that category when everyone else on here can see that it isn't where I am.

Whatever makes you happy though, I'll be watching England in this kit at Wembley tomorrow and buying it for my children and probably myself. You just keep bashing away on your keyboard and being right on in your own head.

Tory snowflakes update on 10:40 - Mar 22 with 522 viewsleitrimblue

Is it because the English don't have any agreeable culture that they end up arguing over the colours of the flag of a dragon slayer from the otherside of the world?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024