Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy 16:03 - Feb 7 with 8446 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Happy 65th Birthday. He did well for us with both arms tied behind his back.
Mick McCarthy on 16:04 - Feb 7 with 4487 viewsleitrimblue

Keep yer BDSM Mick fantasies to yerself
Mick McCarthy on 16:19 - Feb 7 with 4435 viewsTrequartista

17th biggest budget or something wasn’t it? No way you can compete with Leeds, Southampton and Leicester and get 2 points per game with that.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Mick McCarthy on 17:05 - Feb 7 with 4313 viewssolemio

You really have to have fantasies about them to wish anyone a Happy Birthday.
Mick McCarthy on 17:34 - Feb 7 with 4254 viewsMullet

A giant of a man. Fantastic manager, held our club together with his fingertips and he snubbed Thatcher.

The fact the football world is united in appreciation for him today on Twitter says it all.

Here he is roasting our own Hambo

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick McCarthy on 17:36 - Feb 7 with 4246 viewsBlueBoots

Mick would like to pass on his thoughts on our Happy Birthday wishes

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

#legend (n/t) on 17:37 - Feb 7 with 4212 viewsBloots

Mick McCarthy on 17:34 - Feb 7 by Mullet

A giant of a man. Fantastic manager, held our club together with his fingertips and he snubbed Thatcher.

The fact the football world is united in appreciation for him today on Twitter says it all.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

#legend (n/t) on 17:39 - Feb 7 with 4200 viewsMullet

#legend (n/t) on 17:37 - Feb 7 by Bloots

Thanks mate.

No worries, takes one to know one. (n/t) on 17:44 - Feb 7 with 4167 viewsBloots

#legend (n/t) on 17:39 - Feb 7 by Mullet

Thanks mate.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy on 18:26 - Feb 7 with 4104 viewscbower

Saved us, made us competitive, at times a decent watch (Boro / Brentford etc 2014), brought in some decent players (McGoldrick, Webster, Mings, Waghorn, Skuse, Garner, Chambers, Hunt, Tabb - some good loans - Celina, Fraser, Lawrence). As with all managers, especially thoe hugely underfunded, there were plenty of duds too. Yes it turned sour, for some even toxic but for 3/4s of his time here, Mick did well for us. Yes we're in a better place now but it took us some years of serious despair - far worse than anything Mick gave us to get here. Would I want him back - no not now. Would I applaud him were he to return with another club - you're damn right I would.

bluescouser

Mick McCarthy on 18:32 - Feb 7 with 4058 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 18:26 - Feb 7 by cbower

Saved us, made us competitive, at times a decent watch (Boro / Brentford etc 2014), brought in some decent players (McGoldrick, Webster, Mings, Waghorn, Skuse, Garner, Chambers, Hunt, Tabb - some good loans - Celina, Fraser, Lawrence). As with all managers, especially thoe hugely underfunded, there were plenty of duds too. Yes it turned sour, for some even toxic but for 3/4s of his time here, Mick did well for us. Yes we're in a better place now but it took us some years of serious despair - far worse than anything Mick gave us to get here. Would I want him back - no not now. Would I applaud him were he to return with another club - you're damn right I would.

The fact you put into context why he might be one of our greatest ever managers makes the vitriol he still gets even funnier.

I hope he has a slap up dinner and it's not egg on toast tonight.

Super Mick (n/t) on 18:53 - Feb 7 with 3984 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Mick McCarthy on 19:45 - Feb 7 with 3861 viewsMiaow

Mick McCarthy on 17:36 - Feb 7 by BlueBoots

Mick would like to pass on his thoughts on our Happy Birthday wishes

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Mick McCarthy on 19:59 - Feb 7 with 3822 viewsstonojnr

Mick McCarthy on 18:32 - Feb 7 by Mullet

The fact you put into context why he might be one of our greatest ever managers makes the vitriol he still gets even funnier.

I hope he has a slap up dinner and it's not egg on toast tonight.

he liked his chips though.
Mick McCarthy on 20:00 - Feb 7 with 3816 viewsblueislander

Your opinion of him is unshakeable. I won’t bother to argue.
Mick McCarthy on 05:19 - Feb 8 with 3532 viewsibbleobble

Mick McCarthy on 20:00 - Feb 7 by blueislander

Your opinion of him is unshakeable. I won’t bother to argue.

One play-off place in 6-years is the height of aspiration for this guy. A true visionary. It’s almost like he’s been wrong for so long he’s decided to double-down to save face. Even football clubs won’t take McCarthy now and he was sacked from his last three roles in under a year. Still, Mullet's always right…😂
Mick McCarthy on 07:13 - Feb 8 with 3434 viewsslade1

I always had time for mick. Done what he could with what he had, then got hounded out by the idiots.
Super Prick (n/t) (n/t) on 07:57 - Feb 8 with 3375 viewsReuser_is_God

Super Mick (n/t) on 18:53 - Feb 7 by SitfcB

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Super Prick (n/t) (n/t) on 07:57 - Feb 8 with 3375 viewsReuser_is_God

Super Mick (n/t) on 18:53 - Feb 7 by SitfcB

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mick McCarthy on 08:00 - Feb 8 with 3368 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy on 05:19 - Feb 8 by ibbleobble

One play-off place in 6-years is the height of aspiration for this guy. A true visionary. It’s almost like he’s been wrong for so long he’s decided to double-down to save face. Even football clubs won’t take McCarthy now and he was sacked from his last three roles in under a year. Still, Mullet's always right…😂

Mate, you backed Paul Cook so strongly that you went on a rant about Mullet and Badger destroying the club because they helped to get him sacked. You might want to pipe down about the judgement of others. McCarthy was an infinitely better manager here than Cook ever was.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy on 08:04 - Feb 8 with 3357 viewsChurchman

Mick McCarthy on 18:26 - Feb 7 by cbower

Agree with your summary.

Happy birthday Mick. My brother in law met MM a few times in the barbers of all places many years ago when he was living in Orpington. He reckoned Mick was a nice bloke, always happy to chat about the game.

In my view he did brilliantly to stave off relegation with what he inherited. To make us competitive to the point of the play offs was also amazing given the crumbs he had to work with. Especially where mediocrity was the club’s aim. He created a loyal band of players whose efforts as a team were better than the sum of their parts. He got results.

He had an eye for a player too. He had the odd awful punt but given he had little to work with and zippo club structure, that was inevitable. Against the turkeys, he bought in some really good players for no money.

On the downside he should have moved on at the end of 2015/16 when it was obvious that 6th was the high water mark with the resources available to him and his way of doing things were becoming stale.

The football was actually pretty dire and and I can’t think of too many games that weren’t scraps for points. Every point is a prisoner, remember. The low point was playing for a point at home against a poor team with Skuse, Hyam and lead legs Douglas. Truly depressing. The nature of the way we played switched a lot of people off and contributed to falling attendances.

I didn’t like the ‘little Ipswich, you’re lucky to have me’ attitude. It smacked of arrogance, even if he’s not and it wasn’t.

His way of playing was quite limited. It wasn’t just that dementor Evans starved him of resources - his teams everywhere played that way.

According to people who were there (Lee and Dyer) he went very much concentrated on the first team. KD commented that while he was open to a chat, he always felt MM was kind of looking at his watch/the door (paraphrase based on memory).

Overall, I agree. Mick did well for a good chunk of his time here, especially given the state of the club and the owners’ clueless approach. He deserves respect for the job he did and should always be made welcome, should he attend a game. He was a good manager for this level.

Wherever he is ranked in the ITFC manager order, he’s a heck of a lot better than the two muppets that preceded him and the three that followed.
[Post edited 8 Feb 8:19]
Mick McCarthy on 08:25 - Feb 8 with 3292 viewscbower

Mick McCarthy on 08:04 - Feb 8 by Churchman

Agree with your summary.

Happy birthday Mick. My brother in law met MM a few times in the barbers of all places many years ago when he was living in Orpington. He reckoned Mick was a nice bloke, always happy to chat about the game.

In my view he did brilliantly to stave off relegation with what he inherited. To make us competitive to the point of the play offs was also amazing given the crumbs he had to work with. Especially where mediocrity was the club’s aim. He created a loyal band of players whose efforts as a team were better than the sum of their parts. He got results.

He had an eye for a player too. He had the odd awful punt but given he had little to work with and zippo club structure, that was inevitable. Against the turkeys, he bought in some really good players for no money.

On the downside he should have moved on at the end of 2015/16 when it was obvious that 6th was the high water mark with the resources available to him and his way of doing things were becoming stale.

The football was actually pretty dire and and I can’t think of too many games that weren’t scraps for points. Every point is a prisoner, remember. The low point was playing for a point at home against a poor team with Skuse, Hyam and lead legs Douglas. Truly depressing. The nature of the way we played switched a lot of people off and contributed to falling attendances.

I didn’t like the ‘little Ipswich, you’re lucky to have me’ attitude. It smacked of arrogance, even if he’s not and it wasn’t.

His way of playing was quite limited. It wasn’t just that dementor Evans starved him of resources - his teams everywhere played that way.

According to people who were there (Lee and Dyer) he went very much concentrated on the first team. KD commented that while he was open to a chat, he always felt MM was kind of looking at his watch/the door (paraphrase based on memory).

Overall, I agree. Mick did well for a good chunk of his time here, especially given the state of the club and the owners’ clueless approach. He deserves respect for the job he did and should always be made welcome, should he attend a game. He was a good manager for this level.

Wherever he is ranked in the ITFC manager order, he’s a heck of a lot better than the two muppets that preceded him and the three that followed.
[Post edited 8 Feb 8:19]

Good summary although I suspect his Wolves and Sunderland promotion teams (especially Wolves with their wngers) were easier on the eye. Whenever Mick tried to bring in more creative midfield options - Huws and Adeyemi for example - he was shopping in the "injured but could be good" bracket. Too an extent, resources dictated the style although even at his best, pragmatism was the core of his being.

bluescouser

Mick McCarthy on 08:38 - Feb 8 with 3260 viewsChurchman

Mick McCarthy on 08:25 - Feb 8 by cbower

Good summary although I suspect his Wolves and Sunderland promotion teams (especially Wolves with their wngers) were easier on the eye. Whenever Mick tried to bring in more creative midfield options - Huws and Adeyemi for example - he was shopping in the "injured but could be good" bracket. Too an extent, resources dictated the style although even at his best, pragmatism was the core of his being.

My Mackem mate reckons Sunderland were turgid under Mick, but he desperately wanted Keane back so maybe his judgement is a tad suspect!

Agreed - pragmatism is very much McCarthy’s way and there’s nothing wrong with that. You are right re resources too. I don’t think I realised how much Mick’s hands were tied by the state of the club until Gamechanger/Ashton/KM came in. The job Mick did was actually better with hindsight than I thought at the time. Context.

It demonstrates the age old cliche that you have to get the foundations/ basics of a club right if you want to get anywhere.
Mick McCarthy on 08:54 - Feb 8 with 3211 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy on 08:25 - Feb 8 by cbower

Wolves were decent to watch but they had two very good wingers and that was an area we struggled with throughout his time here, we didn't have the budget to bring in the quality he would have liked in those areas. Think the last couple of years under Mick put a very dour slant on his overall time here, there was some good stuff in the years where we finished 6th and 7th and even a bit in his final season. Not McKenna ball by any stretch but entertaining enough.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This thread - hello revisionism and bye bye nuance!! on 09:02 - Feb 8 with 3203 viewsunstableblue

Hello opinion and bye bye fact based truth.

There’s little to no point spelling out the facts. As it’s confirmation bias a go go on this thread.

But you know football forums are a world of opinion. So let’s celebrate it.

What is a fact is that Mick saved us from imminent relegation, and he and an inspired Murphy gave us a play-off campaign - so Happy Birthday 65th Mick.
[Post edited 8 Feb 9:02]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Mick McCarthy on 09:38 - Feb 8 with 3089 viewsBlueySwede

I liked Mick, even though if he was too stubborn and the football under him was dire (especially towards the end, but you could also argue that he was dealt a rotten hand). Happy birthday!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024