Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy 16:03 - Feb 7 with 8801 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Happy 65th Birthday. He did well for us with both arms tied behind his back.
Mick McCarthy on 12:35 - Feb 8 with 1718 viewssjg

I think the Mick era is remembered differently by those who regularly went to games as opposed to those who didn't
Mick McCarthy on 12:39 - Feb 8 with 1710 viewsbraveblue

Did well? Lost thousands of fans. When he left we were in lowest league position in decades. Most boring football I have ever seen. Players like Luongo dismissed as could not kick the ball high enough. Sorry, can’t agree but wish him no harm.
Mick McCarthy on 13:13 - Feb 8 with 1655 viewsRadlett_blue

Mick McCarthy on 08:25 - Feb 8 by cbower

Good summary although I suspect his Wolves and Sunderland promotion teams (especially Wolves with their wngers) were easier on the eye. Whenever Mick tried to bring in more creative midfield options - Huws and Adeyemi for example - he was shopping in the "injured but could be good" bracket. Too an extent, resources dictated the style although even at his best, pragmatism was the core of his being.

I don't think Adeyemi had anything like the previous injury issues of Huws. Unfortunately, he got ill as soon as he joined, then got injured & eventually seemed to lose the desire to play pro football. Adeyemi was a bright, educated guy so, rather like Shane Supple, he may have thought there was more to life. He'd have been on high wages as he came on a free, but at least it was only a 2 year contract. Mick's worst signing, but I don't think we can blame him for that one, unlike the appalling Jonathan Douglas, a box to box midfield player whose legs had gone.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mick McCarthy on 15:23 - Feb 8 with 1589 viewsEireannach_gorm

Mick McCarthy on 08:54 - Feb 8 by Herbivore

Wolves were decent to watch but they had two very good wingers and that was an area we struggled with throughout his time here, we didn't have the budget to bring in the quality he would have liked in those areas. Think the last couple of years under Mick put a very dour slant on his overall time here, there was some good stuff in the years where we finished 6th and 7th and even a bit in his final season. Not McKenna ball by any stretch but entertaining enough.

Exhibit A : Tommy Oar saga.
Mick McCarthy on 15:26 - Feb 8 with 1578 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy on 15:23 - Feb 8 by Eireannach_gorm

Exhibit A : Tommy Oar saga.

Ironically, left us up the creek without a paddle.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy on 15:41 - Feb 8 with 1545 viewsChurchman

Mick McCarthy on 15:26 - Feb 8 by Herbivore

Ironically, left us up the creek without a paddle.

Rudderless….
Mick McCarthy on 20:07 - Feb 8 with 1476 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 12:35 - Feb 8 by sjg

I think the Mick era is remembered differently by those who regularly went to games as opposed to those who didn't

You think wrong then. On this thread alone that's not the case.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick McCarthy on 20:09 - Feb 8 with 1470 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 12:39 - Feb 8 by braveblue

Did well? Lost thousands of fans. When he left we were in lowest league position in decades. Most boring football I have ever seen. Players like Luongo dismissed as could not kick the ball high enough. Sorry, can’t agree but wish him no harm.

The Luongo nonsense alone is a baffling criticism and lie. Did you even watch us back then? Just look at the squad we had when Luongo was here, where he went and what he's said about it then and on his return.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy on 20:11 - Feb 8 with 1454 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick McCarthy on 20:07 - Feb 8 by Mullet

Yet another one who is wrong. It's never you, never.
Mick McCarthy on 20:16 - Feb 8 with 1428 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 20:11 - Feb 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yet another one who is wrong. It's never you, never.

Blimey, wrong again eh Mach? Given some of Mick's biggest critics on here either claimed to give up their season ticket, never had one and those praising him did you'll have to back pedal quicker than you dived in to make yourself right here.

You've cocked this right up.

Mick McCarthy on 20:23 - Feb 8 with 1406 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick McCarthy on 20:16 - Feb 8 by Mullet

Blimey, wrong again eh Mach? Given some of Mick's biggest critics on here either claimed to give up their season ticket, never had one and those praising him did you'll have to back pedal quicker than you dived in to make yourself right here.

You've cocked this right up.

Sometimes wrong however never wrong when knocking your nonsense.

I had been fan for a long time despite plenty of critics. Completely lost with him when he started insulting our fanbase, making derogatory comments about us. He thought he was a dictator.

Why are you always getting so angry when someone says a 'bad' word about him?
Mick McCarthy on 20:28 - Feb 8 with 1390 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 20:23 - Feb 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

Sometimes wrong however never wrong when knocking your nonsense.

I had been fan for a long time despite plenty of critics. Completely lost with him when he started insulting our fanbase, making derogatory comments about us. He thought he was a dictator.

Why are you always getting so angry when someone says a 'bad' word about him?

Angry? Why would you making a fool of yourself make me angry?

The comment was literally about attendance vs opinion of McCarthy which is demonstrably wrong on this thread alone.

Why you decided to steam in to have a pop and completely miss, who knows? Whatever else you're now trying to say I've no idea. Maybe step back and go through the thread before piping up?

Mick McCarthy on 20:33 - Feb 8 with 1368 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy on 20:07 - Feb 8 by Mullet

Indeed, I was a ST holder right through the McCarthy era. I found it infinitely preferable to the Keane, Jewell, Hurst, Lambert, and Cook eras.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy on 20:37 - Feb 8 with 1345 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick McCarthy on 20:28 - Feb 8 by Mullet

Angry? Why would you making a fool of yourself make me angry?

The comment was literally about attendance vs opinion of McCarthy which is demonstrably wrong on this thread alone.

Why you decided to steam in to have a pop and completely miss, who knows? Whatever else you're now trying to say I've no idea. Maybe step back and go through the thread before piping up?

It's always you who is getting wet when someone says a 'bad' word about him. So step away from waffling some crap about me.

'step back and go through the thread ' I do and I see you admiring him. Admiring the person who loved making derogatory comments about the club, our fans, belittling us every now and then.

He had no respect for the club at all. It was all about him, always.

Yes, you are an angry man every time when someone knocks him, the person who loved insulting ITFC.
[Post edited 8 Feb 20:38]
Mick McCarthy on 20:39 - Feb 8 with 1320 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 20:37 - Feb 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

It's always you who is getting wet when someone says a 'bad' word about him. So step away from waffling some crap about me.

'step back and go through the thread ' I do and I see you admiring him. Admiring the person who loved making derogatory comments about the club, our fans, belittling us every now and then.

He had no respect for the club at all. It was all about him, always.

Yes, you are an angry man every time when someone knocks him, the person who loved insulting ITFC.
[Post edited 8 Feb 20:38]

None of this is right, let alone relevant to the very first post you made. You've been proven wrong by Herbivore alone.

Is this some sort of surreal comedy act you're going for? Or do you just insert yourself into threads now so you can make some preprepared point you hope is going to land?

Mick McCarthy on 20:47 - Feb 8 with 1293 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick McCarthy on 20:39 - Feb 8 by Mullet

None of this is right, let alone relevant to the very first post you made. You've been proven wrong by Herbivore alone.

Is this some sort of surreal comedy act you're going for? Or do you just insert yourself into threads now so you can make some preprepared point you hope is going to land?

All of this is right what I said.

Surreal comedy you say? The real comedy...hmmmm ...not only mcccarthy issue. Let's come back couple of weeks in time and your hysterias about Andre Dozzell. Thousands of QPR fans were wrong to celebrate his departure weren't they? They were wrong and you were right, eh? Because we all know how much you love yourself and you are always right. Always.

Your bizarre imaginations and agendas are a pure amusement.

But... it's all about opinions. You love him, others don't. Try to comprehend it.
[Post edited 8 Feb 20:50]
Mick McCarthy on 20:56 - Feb 8 with 1270 viewsunstableblue

Mick McCarthy on 20:39 - Feb 8 by Mullet

Mullet - just to be clear are you saying that in the 17/18 season the majority of Ipswich Town fans were supportive and happy with Mick as manager and the style of football?

Are you also saying a significant number of season ticket holders didn’t stay away from home games at the tale end of his Town managerial career? And the home attendances didn’t plummet?

And are you saying there wasn’t a toxic atmosphere for say the last 3 or 4 home games of his tenure? Barnsley, Millwall, Hull, Sheff Utd for example?

Are you also stating that the positive replies of a few people who share your opinion on this thread, is a fact based case to support your own opinion.

Come on there is a big difference between fact and opinion, and nuance and confirmation bias.
[Post edited 8 Feb 20:58]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Mick McCarthy on 20:57 - Feb 8 with 1256 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 20:56 - Feb 8 by unstableblue

Mullet - just to be clear are you saying that in the 17/18 season the majority of Ipswich Town fans were supportive and happy with Mick as manager and the style of football?

Are you also saying a significant number of season ticket holders didn’t stay away from home games at the tale end of his Town managerial career? And the home attendances didn’t plummet?

And are you saying there wasn’t a toxic atmosphere for say the last 3 or 4 home games of his tenure? Barnsley, Millwall, Hull, Sheff Utd for example?

Are you also stating that the positive replies of a few people who share your opinion on this thread, is a fact based case to support your own opinion.

Come on there is a big difference between fact and opinion, and nuance and confirmation bias.

No. At no point did I say anything like that.

Are you still saying McKenna should be sacked given he humiliated us on TV with our worst ever defeat to a lower ranked team? Or does your hypocrisy just roll on?

Mick McCarthy on 20:59 - Feb 8 with 1230 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick McCarthy on 20:56 - Feb 8 by unstableblue

17/18 ....the season in which we almost got relegated.....but for the Lawrence's screamers and Bialkowski's some incredible saves.

Don't waste your time to ask Mullet any questions about mccarthy.
Mick McCarthy on 21:02 - Feb 8 with 1195 viewsunstableblue

Mick McCarthy on 20:57 - Feb 8 by Mullet

No. At no point did I say anything like that.

Are you still saying McKenna should be sacked given he humiliated us on TV with our worst ever defeat to a lower ranked team? Or does your hypocrisy just roll on?

WTAF are you talking about?!

Where on earth did I say anything even remotely close to that.

I am McKenna’s biggest fan!! He’s exactly the kind of modern, progressive and technical manager I’ve wanted and called for since Mick before then! Christ you used to ridicule me when I called out Mick for not being that type of manager. Entertainment first.

You really should take that back. You’re unhinged on this thread.

Again it’s OK to have different opinions. But you’ve created a reality of Micks tenure that is really way off reality or facts.

Mick McCarthy on 21:05 - Feb 8 with 1180 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 21:02 - Feb 8 by unstableblue

WTAF are you talking about?!

Where on earth did I say anything even remotely close to that.

I am McKenna’s biggest fan!! He’s exactly the kind of modern, progressive and technical manager I’ve wanted and called for since Mick before then! Christ you used to ridicule me when I called out Mick for not being that type of manager. Entertainment first.

You really should take that back. You’re unhinged on this thread.

Again it’s OK to have different opinions. But you’ve created a reality of Micks tenure that is really way off reality or facts.

Oh I forgot which manager it was.

It was important when Mick lost to Lincoln and this was unacceptable, but your criteria changes when desperate to stay on the right side of majority opinion.

It's almost like your lofty purism and ability to generate reams on single points isn't actually about some technical philosophy at all.

Mick McCarthy on 21:23 - Feb 8 with 1145 viewsWicklowBlue

Ignoring the personal pile ons on Mullet, which are just that personal differences.

I wish a belated birthday to MM. A limited player back in the day but a great captain and pivotal to the ROI team under Jack.

Came from managing Millwall iirc to manage the ROI team and has us so close to beating Spain and getting to the Quarters of the 2002 world cup. Divisive I'm sure but I was on MM's side around the Saipan incident, no player is bigger than the squad.

I was excited to have him come and manage Towen, considering what had gone before which was a shambles. He came in steadied the ship when we looked a cert for releagation and got us back into contention when everything above him Evans wise was a mess.

Was his time here perfect God no! His time was up for a while before things degenerated into abuse on all sides. How many managers stay with a Club for 6 years though, yes Evans has a lot to be blamed for but equally MM should have read the mood music earlier and fell on his sword.

However we need to recognise what he did here and thank him for it not descend into arguments. By far and a way not one of the worst of our managers and considering where we were at that time and the challenges faced, perhaps one of the better ones.
Mick McCarthy on 22:28 - Feb 8 with 1089 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Mick McCarthy on 12:39 - Feb 8 by braveblue

We were bottom when he joined and mid table when he left.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Mick McCarthy on 22:40 - Feb 8 with 1062 viewsbraveblue

Mick McCarthy on 20:09 - Feb 8 by Mullet

The Luongo nonsense alone is a baffling criticism and lie. Did you even watch us back then? Just look at the squad we had when Luongo was here, where he went and what he's said about it then and on his return.

I certainly did. Luongo looked like a player. Never given a chance.
Mick McCarthy on 23:05 - Feb 8 with 1052 viewsunstableblue

Mick McCarthy on 21:05 - Feb 8 by Mullet

Oh I forgot which manager it was.

It was important when Mick lost to Lincoln and this was unacceptable, but your criteria changes when desperate to stay on the right side of majority opinion.

It's almost like your lofty purism and ability to generate reams on single points isn't actually about some technical philosophy at all.

Mullet Mullet Mullet

I asked you a series of rhetorical questions earlier. Where you know the answers point to the fact that things really weren’t very good for the latter part of Micks reign and the majority of the fan base’s opinion towards him was negative.

So someone’s opinion that Micks tenure was flawed, really does have some vailidity.

Your opinion is he is the second coming of Christ and/or Bobby Robson.

And that’s fine. But rounding on anyone who doesn’t share your belief… well it’s just not very balanced.

But you know maybe the answer is somewhere in between?! We all need a bit of nuance in our lives. Maybe for once you could agree that the football was poor to watch in his last season?

As for comparing Maidstone to Lincoln - it’s so flawed as to not even warrant a response… were you actually watching how Town were playing prior to the Lincoln result? Or our approach and results in cup games during Micks tenure.

As for your last paragraph - I simply can’t understand it, so am unable to respond.

Frankly we’ve been here so many times before, perhaps it’s time we said “we have different opinions, and that’s OK”???
[Post edited 8 Feb 23:06]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024