Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy 16:03 - Feb 7 with 8788 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Happy 65th Birthday. He did well for us with both arms tied behind his back.
Mick McCarthy on 23:19 - Feb 8 with 1540 views765765

Mick McCarthy on 20:00 - Feb 7 by blueislander

Your opinion of him is unshakeable. I won’t bother to argue.

But you will bother to post
Mick McCarthy on 00:06 - Feb 9 with 1486 viewsibbleobble

Mick McCarthy on 21:02 - Feb 8 by unstableblue

WTAF are you talking about?!

Where on earth did I say anything even remotely close to that.

I am McKenna’s biggest fan!! He’s exactly the kind of modern, progressive and technical manager I’ve wanted and called for since Mick before then! Christ you used to ridicule me when I called out Mick for not being that type of manager. Entertainment first.

You really should take that back. You’re unhinged on this thread.

Again it’s OK to have different opinions. But you’ve created a reality of Micks tenure that is really way off reality or facts.

😂😂😂 - Here are some funny facts about Mullet.

1 - Believed MM was very successful and punched above his weight and we should be grateful as no-one else could achieve what he did with his budget. That went well….
2 - Backed Chambers and Skuse as real leaders…even though in 1500 games neither won anything.
3 - A stalwart who felt we should be grateful to ME for the £6M annual loss. That aged well…
4 - Sulked and cried to see our good name dragged in the mud and repeatedly stated we may never come back from relegation. Despite others saying to the contrary. Be careful what you wish for….
5 - A fan who upheld every MM decision to devalue cups, shut up shop away from home, go long because we could eek a point out…
6 - A fan ignorant on the dwindling attendances and poor atmosphere… probably because the above looks like success to him.

The list is endless. I have no idea what success looks like to him but thank the Lord my ideas are better.
Great and balanced post on 01:07 - Feb 9 with 1470 viewsunstableblue

Mick McCarthy on 21:23 - Feb 8 by WicklowBlue

Ignoring the personal pile ons on Mullet, which are just that personal differences.

I wish a belated birthday to MM. A limited player back in the day but a great captain and pivotal to the ROI team under Jack.

Came from managing Millwall iirc to manage the ROI team and has us so close to beating Spain and getting to the Quarters of the 2002 world cup. Divisive I'm sure but I was on MM's side around the Saipan incident, no player is bigger than the squad.

I was excited to have him come and manage Towen, considering what had gone before which was a shambles. He came in steadied the ship when we looked a cert for releagation and got us back into contention when everything above him Evans wise was a mess.

Was his time here perfect God no! His time was up for a while before things degenerated into abuse on all sides. How many managers stay with a Club for 6 years though, yes Evans has a lot to be blamed for but equally MM should have read the mood music earlier and fell on his sword.

However we need to recognise what he did here and thank him for it not descend into arguments. By far and a way not one of the worst of our managers and considering where we were at that time and the challenges faced, perhaps one of the better ones.

It’s quite simple isn’t it really

Micks tenure had a lot of good and a lot of bad

But I think you sum it up perfectly - “by far and away not one of the worst of our managers” and “was his time perfect, God no”

That’s it really. He wasn’t some legendary Town manager, ridiculous to even come close to suggesting that, but a good guy who did well on briefly on mid-table budgets.

Now can we move on.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

This thread - hello revisionism and bye bye nuance!! (n/t) on 06:48 - Feb 9 with 1409 viewsBlueBadger

This thread - hello revisionism and bye bye nuance!! on 09:02 - Feb 8 by unstableblue

Hello opinion and bye bye fact based truth.

There’s little to no point spelling out the facts. As it’s confirmation bias a go go on this thread.

But you know football forums are a world of opinion. So let’s celebrate it.

What is a fact is that Mick saved us from imminent relegation, and he and an inspired Murphy gave us a play-off campaign - so Happy Birthday 65th Mick.
[Post edited 8 Feb 9:02]

Yeah, but the football was far more technical under Lambo.

;)
[Post edited 9 Feb 6:54]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick McCarthy on 06:58 - Feb 9 with 1378 viewsBlueBadger

Mick McCarthy on 12:39 - Feb 8 by braveblue

Did well? Lost thousands of fans. When he left we were in lowest league position in decades. Most boring football I have ever seen. Players like Luongo dismissed as could not kick the ball high enough. Sorry, can’t agree but wish him no harm.

You're just bitter because he personally instructed Chambo to call you a c**t.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick McCarthy on 07:37 - Feb 9 with 1352 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy on 00:06 - Feb 9 by ibbleobble

1 - Believed MM was very successful and punched above his weight and we should be grateful as no-one else could achieve what he did with his budget. That went well….
2 - Backed Chambers and Skuse as real leaders…even though in 1500 games neither won anything.
3 - A stalwart who felt we should be grateful to ME for the £6M annual loss. That aged well…
4 - Sulked and cried to see our good name dragged in the mud and repeatedly stated we may never come back from relegation. Despite others saying to the contrary. Be careful what you wish for….
5 - A fan who upheld every MM decision to devalue cups, shut up shop away from home, go long because we could eek a point out…
6 - A fan ignorant on the dwindling attendances and poor atmosphere… probably because the above looks like success to him.

The list is endless. I have no idea what success looks like to him but thank the Lord my ideas are better.

Mate, you literally lost your head when the hapless Paul Cook got sacked and accused fellow posters of killing the club in easily the funniest meltdown in TWTD history. And yet, here you are STILL acting like some kind of oracle? Absolute jokes.
[Post edited 9 Feb 7:37]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy on 07:49 - Feb 9 with 1328 viewsBuhrer

Mick McCarthy on 00:06 - Feb 9 by ibbleobble

Personally I'd rather have a public hard on for a real man like Mick, as Mullers famously does... than be wasting life with that drivel. Good luck.
Great and balanced post on 08:27 - Feb 9 with 1303 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Great and balanced post on 01:07 - Feb 9 by unstableblue

It’s quite simple isn’t it really

Micks tenure had a lot of good and a lot of bad

But I think you sum it up perfectly - “by far and away not one of the worst of our managers” and “was his time perfect, God no”

That’s it really. He wasn’t some legendary Town manager, ridiculous to even come close to suggesting that, but a good guy who did well on briefly on mid-table budgets.

Now can we move on.

The budget was never higher than 15th under Mick. Whilst our wages remained similar/slight increase, others threw more and more money at it and we slipped down to 20th. That last season was mental. 10 clubs had double our £18.5M wage bill, we finished above 4 of them. I think this is what ate away at Mick, he felt he was unfairly criticised and under appreciated against the financial constraints he was working with.
Villa £73M 4th
Fulham £54M 3rd
Wolves £51M 1st
Boro £49M 5th
Cardiff £48M 2nd
Sunderland £47M 24th
Wednesday £42M 15th
Them £42M 14th
Derby £40M 6th
Brum £39M 19th

Edit, wages from Swiss Ramble
[Post edited 9 Feb 8:28]

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy on 08:35 - Feb 9 with 1268 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Not a MM fan, but it’s a shame a simple post wishing him happy birthday went south so quickly.

He was merely a symptom of the mediocrity thrust upon the club by Evans. Him and Colin were the old school grafters that incompetent owners brought in as an equaliser for underinvestment. If ever there was an appropriate time for the phrases ‘carpet baggers’ and ‘chancers’ it’s an offshore tax exile who had a sh1t or bust one season attempt at getting us to the PL.
Great and balanced post on 09:27 - Feb 9 with 1213 viewscbower

Great and balanced post on 08:27 - Feb 9 by WestStanderLaLaLa

The budget was never higher than 15th under Mick. Whilst our wages remained similar/slight increase, others threw more and more money at it and we slipped down to 20th. That last season was mental. 10 clubs had double our £18.5M wage bill, we finished above 4 of them. I think this is what ate away at Mick, he felt he was unfairly criticised and under appreciated against the financial constraints he was working with.
Villa £73M 4th
Fulham £54M 3rd
Wolves £51M 1st
Boro £49M 5th
Cardiff £48M 2nd
Sunderland £47M 24th
Wednesday £42M 15th
Them £42M 14th
Derby £40M 6th
Brum £39M 19th

Edit, wages from Swiss Ramble
[Post edited 9 Feb 8:28]

Aha! Financial facts that show Mick McCarthy's team punching above their weiģht. It would appear so.
Before anyone says, the football became turgid, the relationships sour and his time was up. At least 4 of his 6 years here were good. As Badger said, arrived rock bottom, left mid table with 6th, 7th, 9th place finishes as well as saving us from the drop (which required near play off form itself). Balance is a wonderful thing.

bluescouser

Great and balanced post on 09:50 - Feb 9 with 1176 viewsMattinLondon

Great and balanced post on 09:27 - Feb 9 by cbower

Aha! Financial facts that show Mick McCarthy's team punching above their weiģht. It would appear so.
Before anyone says, the football became turgid, the relationships sour and his time was up. At least 4 of his 6 years here were good. As Badger said, arrived rock bottom, left mid table with 6th, 7th, 9th place finishes as well as saving us from the drop (which required near play off form itself). Balance is a wonderful thing.

In truth, Mick was probably the best manager who could work under the conditions and constraints set by Evans. Mick certainly wasn’t a great manager - he brought in a lot of players who just weren’t good enough which wasted a fair chunk of his very limited budget. He was happy to work under such limitations knowing that he was on a fairy easy ride here (until the season he left) as ME wasn’t going to criticise him and the fans were so disinterested most couldn’t be bothered to boo.

Most managers were on a hiding to nothing here under ME and it was only Micks experience that steadied the ship to coasting along. He wasn’t bothered about projects or long term aims which is why he was happy to work with ME.

That aside, he did seem to foster a very good team spirit with most players happy to play under him - don’t recall many past players having a pop at him. And, the football (not including his final season) wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t total football but it wasn’t hoofball. Think he gets a bad press for his style simply because he’s northern and considered a proper footballing bloke.
Great and balanced post on 09:59 - Feb 9 with 1167 viewspositivity

Great and balanced post on 09:50 - Feb 9 by MattinLondon

In truth, Mick was probably the best manager who could work under the conditions and constraints set by Evans. Mick certainly wasn’t a great manager - he brought in a lot of players who just weren’t good enough which wasted a fair chunk of his very limited budget. He was happy to work under such limitations knowing that he was on a fairy easy ride here (until the season he left) as ME wasn’t going to criticise him and the fans were so disinterested most couldn’t be bothered to boo.

Most managers were on a hiding to nothing here under ME and it was only Micks experience that steadied the ship to coasting along. He wasn’t bothered about projects or long term aims which is why he was happy to work with ME.

That aside, he did seem to foster a very good team spirit with most players happy to play under him - don’t recall many past players having a pop at him. And, the football (not including his final season) wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t total football but it wasn’t hoofball. Think he gets a bad press for his style simply because he’s northern and considered a proper footballing bloke.

yes, agree with a lot of that mick was the perfect partner/cover for evans.

i do think the 2012 window when we were top was a sliding doors moment. would have been the perfect time for him to use his power to force evans into spending, but i agree that the long term good of the club wasn't anything evans and mick were that bothered about

not sure that the northern thing is the reason for disliking his football though, we haven't had a southern manager since lyall (unless keane counts!)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Great and balanced post on 10:44 - Feb 9 with 1120 viewsMattinLondon

Great and balanced post on 09:59 - Feb 9 by positivity

i do think the 2012 window when we were top was a sliding doors moment. would have been the perfect time for him to use his power to force evans into spending, but i agree that the long term good of the club wasn't anything evans and mick were that bothered about

not sure that the northern thing is the reason for disliking his football though, we haven't had a southern manager since lyall (unless keane counts!)

My hot take on the 2012 season is that Evans did offer Mick money during that transfer window but Mick turned it down because he didn’t want to be held accountable if things went wrong.

You’re probably right about the northern thing - but I do find that his Yorkshire accent added to the dullness that was at times on show.
Great and balanced post on 10:47 - Feb 9 with 1113 viewspositivity

Great and balanced post on 10:44 - Feb 9 by MattinLondon

My hot take on the 2012 season is that Evans did offer Mick money during that transfer window but Mick turned it down because he didn’t want to be held accountable if things went wrong.

You’re probably right about the northern thing - but I do find that his Yorkshire accent added to the dullness that was at times on show.

a more charitable reading is that he was concerened with team morale, but that also looks like the wrong call.

i love a good barnsley-ism, so I didn't mind his professional northern-ness!

Great and balanced post on 10:52 - Feb 9 with 1092 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Great and balanced post on 10:44 - Feb 9 by MattinLondon

I don’t think it was so much the accent, more the tired old Mike Bassett style football cliches in his interviews. “He was up and down the field like a fiddlers elbow “

A complete contrast to Mckenna’s quietly spoken, thoughtful, and genuinely interesting analysis.
Great and balanced post on 10:54 - Feb 9 with 1091 viewsMattinLondon

Great and balanced post on 10:47 - Feb 9 by positivity

a more charitable reading is that he was concerened with team morale, but that also looks like the wrong call.

i love a good barnsley-ism, so I didn't mind his professional northern-ness!

Either way, in football if a team doesn’t try and improve then it quickly gets overtaken.
Great and balanced post on 10:56 - Feb 9 with 1084 viewsMattinLondon

Great and balanced post on 10:52 - Feb 9 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I don’t think it was so much the accent, more the tired old Mike Bassett style football cliches in his interviews. “He was up and down the field like a fiddlers elbow “

A complete contrast to Mckenna’s quietly spoken, thoughtful, and genuinely interesting analysis.

You’re probably right - and KM calls his players by their first names which I quite like.
Great and balanced post on 10:58 - Feb 9 with 1071 viewsHerbivore

Great and balanced post on 10:56 - Feb 9 by MattinLondon

You’re probably right - and KM calls his players by their first names which I quite like.

Chappers should always just be Chappers though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Great and balanced post on 11:09 - Feb 9 with 1049 viewsMattinLondon

Great and balanced post on 10:58 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Chappers should always just be Chappers though.

There are also exceptions- KM should instruct Burns to grown his hair immediately. Actually, tell him to put hair extensions in and to regrow his man bun.
Mick McCarthy on 16:23 - Feb 9 with 963 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 21:23 - Feb 8 by WicklowBlue

Ignoring the personal pile ons on Mullet, which are just that personal differences.

I wish a belated birthday to MM. A limited player back in the day but a great captain and pivotal to the ROI team under Jack.

Came from managing Millwall iirc to manage the ROI team and has us so close to beating Spain and getting to the Quarters of the 2002 world cup. Divisive I'm sure but I was on MM's side around the Saipan incident, no player is bigger than the squad.

I was excited to have him come and manage Towen, considering what had gone before which was a shambles. He came in steadied the ship when we looked a cert for releagation and got us back into contention when everything above him Evans wise was a mess.

Was his time here perfect God no! His time was up for a while before things degenerated into abuse on all sides. How many managers stay with a Club for 6 years though, yes Evans has a lot to be blamed for but equally MM should have read the mood music earlier and fell on his sword.

However we need to recognise what he did here and thank him for it not descend into arguments. By far and a way not one of the worst of our managers and considering where we were at that time and the challenges faced, perhaps one of the better ones.

Whilst I appreciate the notice and support, it's not needed. A post celebrating a man of such integrity, charisma and success being derailed by those so lacking those, and every other quality speaks volumes.

A pile on could only be amongst equals. Rats humping around in the gutter and filth because they still can't accept they're wrong is only worth the derision such a sight deserves.

The fact such rich nuance and depth doesn't permeate the hard of thinking binary types and you outlay really well so many truths is what should be focused on.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Great and balanced post on 16:27 - Feb 9 with 945 viewsMullet

Great and balanced post on 09:59 - Feb 9 by positivity

2012/13?

We finished 14th just behind Leeds, Burnley and Leicester squeaked top 6 apparently. That's quite illustrative alone isn't it?

Great and balanced post on 16:37 - Feb 9 with 930 viewspositivity

Great and balanced post on 16:27 - Feb 9 by Mullet

2012/13?

We finished 14th just behind Leeds, Burnley and Leicester squeaked top 6 apparently. That's quite illustrative alone isn't it?

good point, 2014-15! wishing my life away there!

Mick McCarthy on 16:41 - Feb 9 with 914 viewspositivity

Mick McCarthy on 16:23 - Feb 9 by Mullet

Whilst I appreciate the notice and support, it's not needed. A post celebrating a man of such integrity, charisma and success being derailed by those so lacking those, and every other quality speaks volumes.

A pile on could only be amongst equals. Rats humping around in the gutter and filth because they still can't accept they're wrong is only worth the derision such a sight deserves.

The fact such rich nuance and depth doesn't permeate the hard of thinking binary types and you outlay really well so many truths is what should be focused on.

you really are quite the fundamentalist mick (fundamicktalist? mickdamentalist?) fan aren't you! keep the faith!

Mick McCarthy on 16:45 - Feb 9 with 905 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on 16:41 - Feb 9 by positivity

you really are quite the fundamentalist mick (fundamicktalist? mickdamentalist?) fan aren't you! keep the faith!

I just deal in facts and love the club more than my own ego. I'm not sure why I should "but both sides" with people who use bizarre sexual imagery, lies and their own delusions to try and cope with being so monumentally wrong.

Especially when one has been banned for racism apparently.

Mick McCarthy on 16:53 - Feb 9 with 888 viewspositivity

Mick McCarthy on 16:45 - Feb 9 by Mullet

I just deal in facts and love the club more than my own ego. I'm not sure why I should "but both sides" with people who use bizarre sexual imagery, lies and their own delusions to try and cope with being so monumentally wrong.

Especially when one has been banned for racism apparently.

i find it best to ignore those kind of people, but it can be tricky!

my gripes about mick are purely about the style offootball and the evans links, but think he's generally a good man...
[Post edited 9 Feb 16:54]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024