Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thinking out loud 12:52 - Feb 5 with 3746 viewsitfc_bucks

But should we park the push for 2nd, and focus on properly bedding in Moore, Sarmiento, Travis, Al Hamedi etc and aim to crush it in the Play Offs?
Thinking out loud on 18:01 - Feb 5 with 1013 viewsMullet

I'd rather chop a nut off than be like this.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Thinking out loud on 18:05 - Feb 5 with 1011 viewsRyorry

Thinking out loud on 17:48 - Feb 5 by itfc_bucks

Crikey - a few on here not blessed with the ability to read,.eh?

There's a huge difference between throwing players in before they're up to speed with our style and fitness requirements to play it (thereby risking injury) and allowing for a proper mid-season "pre-season" style of bedding in.

Except the OP didn't say that did he, which rather makes you looking like the one not blessed with the ability to read!.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Thinking out loud on 18:22 - Feb 5 with 978 viewsMK1

We got all out for 2nd. Really don't want the lottery of the play offs.
Thinking out loud on 18:27 - Feb 5 with 959 viewsWestSussexBlue

?????? Why!!!!
Thinking out loud on 19:42 - Feb 5 with 920 viewsitfc_bucks

Thinking out loud on 18:05 - Feb 5 by Ryorry

Except the OP didn't say that did he, which rather makes you looking like the one not blessed with the ability to read!.

I am the OP and I feel there's a consistent view being espoused between those two posts.
Thinking out loud on 20:24 - Feb 5 with 899 viewsmarchy

How on earth would that even work in practice? "We want to win the play-offs lads, but we're not going to go mad getting practice in at winning games, because we don't want to go winning so many that we accidentally go up automatically, so just ease off a bit and let's save the winning until the season's finished"?
Thinking out loud on 20:27 - Feb 5 with 893 viewsJ2BLUE

Sometimes you have to wonder what planet people are on

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Thinking out loud on 20:34 - Feb 5 with 879 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Thinking out loud on 13:22 - Feb 5 by giant_stow

I'd go further than that even: If I were the Ipswich manager, I'd be playing the youths to get some experience in. Concentrate on the 27-28 promotion push.

We would have done but somebody scuppered that plan by signing Liam Gibbs! Still, if he does eventually come good, we might re-sign him so that he can make his Dad proud after all!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Thinking out loud on 20:43 - Feb 5 with 868 viewsford6600

Thinking out loud on 13:29 - Feb 5 by SuperKieranMcKenna

If we face Leeds in the playoffs we are bang in trouble. Clearly they are a stylistic nightmare for us as the two previous games have shown. We commit so many players forward, and they have lightning fast counters. Unless we completely change the way we play, which is just not going to happen. Hopefully Leeds would end up playing versus a low block team as they’ve really struggled against them.

That said, with so many point up for grabs, and Town objectively the best Jan window in the league, we 100pc need to go for the autos. COYB!

If we miss out on automatic let's hope we play Leeds in play off final! They are so full of themselves v us 8 goals 6 pts they will be so over confident we can beat them by sitting back and on the counter take them apart!
Thinking out loud on 20:48 - Feb 5 with 864 viewsglasso

Thinking out loud on 13:22 - Feb 5 by giant_stow

I'd go further than that even: If I were the Ipswich manager, I'd be playing the youths to get some experience in. Concentrate on the 27-28 promotion push.

Cancel the rest of the games and encourage the lads to all have babies. Create a real, homegrown youth team that'll pay dividends in 20 years time.
Thinking out loud on 22:40 - Feb 5 with 837 viewsGuthrum

There's a huge difference between throwing players in before they're up to speed with our style and fitness requirements to play it (thereby risking injury) and allowing for a proper mid-season "pre-season" style of bedding in.

Thing is, there's no avenue for anything like a pre-season at this stage. We can't arrange friendlies on top of the League programme. If we start treating Championship games as though they don't matter, tinkering with the squad, there's a danger we won't even make the play-offs.

Plus we've signed these players because we need them. Now, not in March. And they've signed to play, not get the odd ten minutes at the end of a match. It's not an effective use of the ones we have on loan.

Certainly, we may have to manage some of them on the fitness front, but McKenna does that anyway, with his use of substitutions at around 60 - 70 minutes. I really don't see much that needs to change.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Thinking out loud on 22:50 - Feb 5 with 818 viewsjayessess

Not sure reading ability would be much help given you've not really explained what this would entail.

What "bedding in" would we do for Moore, Sarmiento, Travis and Al-Hamadi that would look any different to how we'd normally prepare for games?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Thinking out loud on 05:22 - Feb 6 with 741 viewsIPS_wich

I've read this OP 3-4 times and each time I decided not to reply because I wasn't sure I really understood the proposition and wanted to think on it before replying.

But, even after a few hours of reflecting - I just can't come up with a sensible explanation of what this means in practice, so I guess I'll suggest a two scenarios and ask if you could explain which one you mean.

Scenario 1: The let's repeat our approach to 2022/23 season scenario - whereby we start our forwards (e.g. for Hirst read Moore, for Broadhead read Sarmiento), hold back the central midfielder until they are ready (e.g. for Luongo read Travis), and leave the defence as is - and let them learn the system whilst playing in the system, but accept that it may take some weeks for them to gel before we go on a barnstorming run to finish the campaign.

Scenario 2: The let's start with Jackson up front scenario - whereby we keep the same starting 11 as we had against QPR, Stoke and Preston, let the new players learn the system on the training ground, struggle for any sort of attacking aptitude, hopefully eek out a few 0-0s and then slowly introduce the new players over the coming weeks so that we gel in time for the play-offs.

Because surely Option 1 achieves your primary objective of being in great form for the play-offs, but also has the added potential of repeating our finish to 2022/23 where we actually go up automatically.

Not forgetting also, that your suggestion is based upon the proposition that Moore, Sarmiento, Al-Hamedi and Travis should all be in the team - when in reality it's only Moore who is a clear upgrade on our starting 11 from the first half of the season. Unlike last season we actually have some good players (Luongo and Broadhead for example) who the likes of Sarmiento and Travis would need to dislodge. (Al-Hamedi isn't in our best 11).

Or is there another option to 'properly bedding in' the new signings that I can't think of??

I'm also uncertain how bedding in three forwards addresses the problem of us not being able to cope with a high press in the first half of games without conceding 2-3 goals; or mitigates for a linesman missing a 1-2 yard offside.
Thinking out loud on 07:58 - Feb 6 with 702 viewsHerbivore

Our new signings have all featured relatively regularly over the first half of the season they aren't coming to us completely lacking match fitness and whilst they might need to get used to how we play they don't need a preseason. They also aren't all necessarily going to start every game for us. You'd expect Moore to be a regular starter and possibly Sarmiento as well, although he might rotate with Broadhead a bit. Travis is mainly cover but will start the odd game and Al-Hamadi will primarily be fresh legs off the bench. The notion we should forget about results for a while to gently bed these players in is bizarre to be honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

May I humbly suggest everyone is missing the point… continuous improvement on 08:50 - Feb 6 with 685 viewsunstableblue

McKenna and Ashton have a strategy to improve the club from top to bottom to make it good enough to gain promotion to the Premier League. To build a revenue model and through that a first team that is good enough to gain promotion through automatic promotion or through the play-offs.

Achieved through continuous improvement. Find things to make better, or when things fail on or off the pitch, improve how we do them. That applies to how playing system and the players available to fit in it.

Positively for you as a fan, and different to previous regimes and managers, as part of the strategy winning through entertaining football is a central objective.

Now to this thread - McKenna will have had goals this season. I’d suggest they would have been to try and finish in the play-offs or at least trouble them. Whilst using the season to again build and improve.

But McKenna is only ever about the next game, and just continually improving the team and how we play to be stronger, and to win more games than we draw/lose.

Now if McKenna can’t get that improvement to go on a a run of wins to stay in the automatic hunt, then so be it. But through the process we will be much better. Ali will have hopefully progressed. The loanee Moore will have helped improve the wider teams ability and form by replacing Hirst in the short term.

Crucially, and this is the point Town will be as good as they can be at that point in time. Whether that finishing 2nd or 4th. But if we do go into the play-offs that first crucial semi-final, Town will be the best they can be and improved from right now.

If this season we’re not good enough to match the parachute teams, or those around us. Then we go again, continually improving till promotion comes. A la Burley.

Our form this season is a miracle. The plan is ahead of schedule. We’ll go up. When the continuous improvement has for us to that point.

Wibble wibble.

And as fans we need to continually improve, let’s raise the roof Saturday

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Thinking out loud on 08:53 - Feb 6 with 672 viewsBiGDonnie

I'm listening... What you think, lose the next five on purpose then start playing properly.?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Thinking out loud on 09:23 - Feb 6 with 649 viewsketton_itfc

I know a few others are having a dig at this too but I honestly don't understand why in the slightest that would even be a thought.

Let's have one thing clear we are thick in the race for 2nd spot. We've just come through a tricky spell where suspensions, injuries and call ups have hampered us and let's be honest, there was no way the run we were on could continue.

But give up on the fight? Not a chance. Let Leeds or Soton go 2nd now it's where we finish after 46 games that matters and if it's either of the other 2 good luck to them. But we saw last year how amazing this team can be, how they can handle the pressure and expectation. The other 2 especially Soton have not had that experience in recent years.

As Super KMc says one game at time and lets see where it takes us. Enjoy the ride, it's a damn sight better than playing out 11th in League 1.

Twist and turns aplenty in the next 3 months!
Thinking out loud on 09:30 - Feb 6 with 639 viewsArchiRob

think it through quietly - like inside your head only is best.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024