Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... 09:54 - Jan 11 with 7960 viewsitfcjoe

....guess it makes sense because if you can't get the right man in before the weekend - we only have one away game (which no one will expect to get anything from) before the window shuts

I'm sure we wanted someone in early, but now that hasn't been able to be done there is no extra rush to find someone now compared to in a week or two's time when the dominos start to fall in the leagues above.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:01 - Jan 11 with 4172 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

While I agree if we can't recruit the right man we shouldn't be going after just anyone, I also recognise that we can't limp on with Ladapo and Jackson playing the Hirst role either. It has been bad enough over the last few games, if we are going to continue to play this system we ideally need two forwards in who can do the Hirst job, not just the one.
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:05 - Jan 11 with 4118 viewsFrimleyBlue

If it's going to take 3/4 weeks to get the player up to speed with the way we play, the sooner we get them the better regardless of how many games we have this month itself. February is full of games, you want what ever striker we get to be up to speed so we hit the ground running come February, otherwise we could find ourselves well and truly off the top 2 by the end of it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:08 - Jan 11 with 4101 viewstonybied

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:01 - Jan 11 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

While I agree if we can't recruit the right man we shouldn't be going after just anyone, I also recognise that we can't limp on with Ladapo and Jackson playing the Hirst role either. It has been bad enough over the last few games, if we are going to continue to play this system we ideally need two forwards in who can do the Hirst job, not just the one.

What do you suggest we do then? If you agree that we shouldn't be going after 'just anyone', you can't have your cake and eat it! We either wait patiently for the correct signing or we just go and sign whoever is available, the fact we don't have cover at the level we are currently aiming for is irrelevant to that.
Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:11 - Jan 11 with 4064 viewsBloots

....in the summer and we didn't get one.

We needed another striker a month ago, now we need another 2.

It appears that we had nobody lined up in any circumstance.

Obviously getting players in isn't simple and getting strikers even harder, but this is hardly an issue that we weren't aware of.

We should have got someone in by now, and every game (home or away) that we don't have one for is a game we are far more likely not to win.

Blub, bedwet, etc, etc,

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:13 - Jan 11 with 4020 viewstractorboy1978

You just have to hope we have a deal agreed subject to another domino falling. If we are in a scramble with other clubs towards the end of the window we have the potential to be left with egg on our faces. It's feeling like a striker (and we realistically need two) this window is going to cost a premium whichever way you cut it.
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:15 - Jan 11 with 3998 viewsitfcjoe

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:05 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

If it's going to take 3/4 weeks to get the player up to speed with the way we play, the sooner we get them the better regardless of how many games we have this month itself. February is full of games, you want what ever striker we get to be up to speed so we hit the ground running come February, otherwise we could find ourselves well and truly off the top 2 by the end of it.

Obviously sooner is always better, but think from where we are there is no urgent rush to do it before the weekend now as not going to make much difference for that game

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:16 - Jan 11 with 3948 viewsFrimleyBlue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:13 - Jan 11 by tractorboy1978

You just have to hope we have a deal agreed subject to another domino falling. If we are in a scramble with other clubs towards the end of the window we have the potential to be left with egg on our faces. It's feeling like a striker (and we realistically need two) this window is going to cost a premium whichever way you cut it.

Problem also is our position looked more promising 4 weeks ago than it does now. 2nd a 10 point gap looked amazing. So you have to wonder if someone we had lined up is now thinking again as the likelyhood is we drop out of top 2 and as we know the playoffs is a lottery.

Waka waka eh eh

Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:18 - Jan 11 with 3931 viewsbilllm

Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:11 - Jan 11 by Bloots

Obviously getting players in isn't simple and getting strikers even harder, but this is hardly an issue that we weren't aware of.

We should have got someone in by now, and every game (home or away) that we don't have one for is a game we are far more likely not to win.

Blub, bedwet, etc, etc,

Agreed we've had since August to get another striker to compliment hirst and cover his injuries ladapos is not the answer everyone knows that,
Can't knock jackson out and out striker is certainly not his role, wide right to cover burns is but he's hit his ceiling,
Only + for Jackson from me is defensively much better than burns helping the full back more,
Hirst injury massive blow but really we should have already had one forward sealed be looking for one not as you say 2 now,
Login to get fewer ads

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:18 - Jan 11 with 3913 viewsFrimleyBlue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:15 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

Obviously sooner is always better, but think from where we are there is no urgent rush to do it before the weekend now as not going to make much difference for that game

Oh for the game itself, yeah I get you.

Just really hope we have someone by midweek next week, any later than that is in the 'great we have one' thoughts, but hmmm how long until he's up and running thoughts.

Waka waka eh eh

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:19 - Jan 11 with 3892 viewspointofblue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:01 - Jan 11 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Have a feeling Broadhead may play up top against Sunderland and Leicester, with Sarmiento playing as a ten behind alongside Chaplin. Think we may stick to the back three we played at Stoke if Davis is missing.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The sooner we get a striker in, the better.... on 10:20 - Jan 11 with 3870 viewsBloots

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:15 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

....it's as simple as that.

Whatever way you spin it.

You know that really.

Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:20 - Jan 11 with 3881 viewsitfcjoe

Blub, bedwet, etc, etc,

And the same last season, striker recruitment is obviously an area we struggle with as it is a very tough role required here.

Like everyone, I was hoping for someone in first few days of the window but fact we haven't means there obviously hasn't been suitable targets available.....and the Scarlett situation hasn't helped anything.

When you look at the strikers signed by Champ clubs in the summer, it really is an expensive barrel scraping exercise - the George Hirst £1.5m deal looks brilliant.

I guess we are looking for that value again but incredibly difficult

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:21 - Jan 11 with 3855 viewsbilllm

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:19 - Jan 11 by pointofblue

Have a feeling Broadhead may play up top against Sunderland and Leicester, with Sarmiento playing as a ten behind alongside Chaplin. Think we may stick to the back three we played at Stoke if Davis is missing.

Let's hope not broadhead is way to lightweight for a 9,
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:21 - Jan 11 with 3855 viewsSwansea_Blue

KM did say it wouldn’t be any time soon, and he’s likely to know.

We’ll be alright. We do need better, but we’ve people already in the club who know what’s needed from the role and more competition now across the front 3 behind the striker. If Broady’s back on it as he was in the FA Cup game that’ll make a big difference. Getting Davis back and resolving the RB issue is equally, if not more important.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:22 - Jan 11 with 3855 viewsitfcjoe

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:19 - Jan 11 by pointofblue

Seems most likely to happen, maybe Jackson plays there at Leicester when we won't have much of the ball but at home you need to make something happen

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:22 - Jan 11 with 3846 viewsbobbyramsey

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:18 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

Oh for the game itself, yeah I get you.

Just really hope we have someone by midweek next week, any later than that is in the 'great we have one' thoughts, but hmmm how long until he's up and running thoughts.

It’s important to get someone in asap regardless of when and what games we have coming up. The longer any new player has working with the squad and KM the better, Shirley
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:24 - Jan 11 with 3795 viewsNthQldITFC

Also the two games left in January are possibly two where the requirements of our number 9 are more likely to be a closer fit to Jackson's talents of closing down defenders and stretching them on the break, rather than acting as a hold up player. Certainly Leicester away, and possibly Sunderland at home.

Share those two games between Jackson and Broadhead and I'm fairly happy given the circumstances. With Freddie as a possible late injection in the game state suits him.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I know what's needed for the role.... on 10:26 - Jan 11 with 3775 viewsBloots

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:21 - Jan 11 by Swansea_Blue

KM did say it wouldn’t be any time soon, and he’s likely to know.

We’ll be alright. We do need better, but we’ve people already in the club who know what’s needed from the role and more competition now across the front 3 behind the striker. If Broady’s back on it as he was in the FA Cup game that’ll make a big difference. Getting Davis back and resolving the RB issue is equally, if not more important.

....but that doesn't mean I can play it.

We've scored one league goal since Hirst got injured, and that was an OG.

To say we'll be alright and that other areas are more important is hopeful at best and clueless at worst.

No offence meant.

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:26 - Jan 11 with 3774 viewstractorboy1978

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:16 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

Problem also is our position looked more promising 4 weeks ago than it does now. 2nd a 10 point gap looked amazing. So you have to wonder if someone we had lined up is now thinking again as the likelyhood is we drop out of top 2 and as we know the playoffs is a lottery.

I'm not sure that will be such an issue. We are well in the mix for the top 2 and a fantastic proposition under McKenna. The issue is going to be finance and there are several Championship clubs all looking for the same strikers. We are going to have to compete in terms of fee (transfer or loan) before we can even speak to players. I think we will do it to be fair because we aren't in 'make do' or 'another striker is nice to have' territory. We HAVE to sign at least one out and out striker.
Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:26 - Jan 11 with 3763 viewsJakeITFC

Blub, bedwet, etc, etc,

It's a weird thing to say, but it just seems like there aren't many strikers about at the moment.

Lower Prem clubs are scrambling for the scraps that might have been our market (Brereton to Sheff Utd, Ings to Palace/Wolves) and then those clubs don't really have tonnes of quality to drip down once those players are in place. There's only three Prem forwards loaned to the Championship as it stands (and we are trying to get one of them), the backups for Leeds/Southampton/Leicester are unlikely to come to us and there isn't many in the lower half of the Champ that would be exciting/doable. I'm sure most are in agreement that League One isn't where we should be shopping if we have ideas of going up this year, and so it probably only leaves shopping abroad (and that comes with its risks and probably takes longer to make it happen).

I completely agree with the obvious assertion that we need a couple of strikers (and did in the summer), but it's a much harder question to say who they are and where they come from.
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:27 - Jan 11 with 3746 viewsSimonds92

Don't know, the top target maybe I get waiting for, but knowing we need 2 why aren't we getting in the player who will be playing the support role? It's going to be harder to sell the club to someone when we've just brought in our top target / preferred choice. To write off potentially 4 points, in our current situation is mad.
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:28 - Jan 11 with 3712 viewsBlooos

I seriously hope it is a case of just waiting for dominos to fall with a club who we hopefully have an agreement with. The talk of McKenna wanting the ‘right man’ is fine but we were left at the end of the summer window feeling a bit meh about the business. We’re now nearly halfway through this window and we are still left with Ladapo or Jackson up top (if you had told me when gamechanger came in we’d still have Jackson playing for us 3 years later i would’ve assumed we were in the national league). Trust in the powers above just really hope we get this right, you don’t know how many more opportunities like this we are going to have - hopefully under the new regime a lot but football is full of surprises!
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:29 - Jan 11 with 3643 viewsFrimleyBlue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:26 - Jan 11 by tractorboy1978

I'm not sure that will be such an issue. We are well in the mix for the top 2 and a fantastic proposition under McKenna. The issue is going to be finance and there are several Championship clubs all looking for the same strikers. We are going to have to compete in terms of fee (transfer or loan) before we can even speak to players. I think we will do it to be fair because we aren't in 'make do' or 'another striker is nice to have' territory. We HAVE to sign at least one out and out striker.

Not just for town, but I do find it incredible where you're after a striker and you're fishing in the same pond as other championship clubs for the same one.

How small is the world?

Waka waka eh eh

I totally accept that it's not as simple.... on 10:31 - Jan 11 with 3629 viewsBloots

Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:26 - Jan 11 by JakeITFC

It's a weird thing to say, but it just seems like there aren't many strikers about at the moment.

Lower Prem clubs are scrambling for the scraps that might have been our market (Brereton to Sheff Utd, Ings to Palace/Wolves) and then those clubs don't really have tonnes of quality to drip down once those players are in place. There's only three Prem forwards loaned to the Championship as it stands (and we are trying to get one of them), the backups for Leeds/Southampton/Leicester are unlikely to come to us and there isn't many in the lower half of the Champ that would be exciting/doable. I'm sure most are in agreement that League One isn't where we should be shopping if we have ideas of going up this year, and so it probably only leaves shopping abroad (and that comes with its risks and probably takes longer to make it happen).

I completely agree with the obvious assertion that we need a couple of strikers (and did in the summer), but it's a much harder question to say who they are and where they come from.

...as some make out, and that we aren't the only ones in this boat.

But that's what a recruitment team is all about, it's their job.

I worry if we are a bit limited in that department, even as fans we seem to assume that our "ideal striker" is going to be a Premier League squad player on loan that can't quite get into their team or is a bit too young.

That probably limits us to about about 50 players to pick from.

The market is a lot wider than that.

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:33 - Jan 11 with 3591 viewsdavblue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:16 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

they aren't the right character for us then i would suggest. If they only want a 10 point Gap to 3rd place.

A player with a good agent and who takes some interest in broader football will see there's something happening here with McKenna.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024