Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... 09:54 - Jan 11 with 8014 viewsitfcjoe

....guess it makes sense because if you can't get the right man in before the weekend - we only have one away game (which no one will expect to get anything from) before the window shuts

I'm sure we wanted someone in early, but now that hasn't been able to be done there is no extra rush to find someone now compared to in a week or two's time when the dominos start to fall in the leagues above.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I totally accept that it's not as simple.... on 10:33 - Jan 11 with 2226 viewsKieran_Knows

I totally accept that it's not as simple.... on 10:31 - Jan 11 by Bloots

...as some make out, and that we aren't the only ones in this boat.

But that's what a recruitment team is all about, it's their job.

I worry if we are a bit limited in that department, even as fans we seem to assume that our "ideal striker" is going to be a Premier League squad player on loan that can't quite get into their team or is a bit too young.

That probably limits us to about about 50 players to pick from.

The market is a lot wider than that.

I keep seeing people turn their noses up at Colby Bishop, and I kind of get why - but he's someone we chased last summer and obviously felt like he could make the step up at the time. Of course, the season has gone a lot better than anyone thought it would so our targets may have gone to another level, but if we could get him at the right price (appreciate doubtful considering Pompey's current position), I'd have him in a heartbeat in our side over Ladapo and Jackson.

Failing that, I'd take a look at Langstaff at Notts County.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:35 - Jan 11 with 2213 viewstractorboy1978

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:22 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

Seems most likely to happen, maybe Jackson plays there at Leicester when we won't have much of the ball but at home you need to make something happen

I said this a few days ago, but I honestly think we are prepared for Broadhead having to play that role if needs be. For me, Jackson and Ladapo just aren't options. People can say Jackson presses well but he's so technically deficient. At least with Broadhead there you have a player that can actually play and link up in the final third.

It seems far easier to sign high level 10s/wide forwards than it does out and out strikers at the moment. We'd have to tweak the way we play slightly but you might (worst case scenario) get to a point where you just have to load up with quality behind the striker and hope we have enough quality in forward areas to win games.
I know what's needed for the role.... on 10:48 - Jan 11 with 2129 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know what's needed for the role.... on 10:26 - Jan 11 by Bloots

....but that doesn't mean I can play it.

We've scored one league goal since Hirst got injured, and that was an OG.

To say we'll be alright and that other areas are more important is hopeful at best and clueless at worst.

No offence meant.

Funnily enough, Davis was missing through that period too. It's hardly clueless to suggest we're missing arguably our best player with the league's joint top assists.

We'll be fine. KM will find someone even if it takes a bit longer than people would like. No point worrying about it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Davis not playing... on 10:55 - Jan 11 with 2082 viewsBloots

I know what's needed for the role.... on 10:48 - Jan 11 by Swansea_Blue

Funnily enough, Davis was missing through that period too. It's hardly clueless to suggest we're missing arguably our best player with the league's joint top assists.

We'll be fine. KM will find someone even if it takes a bit longer than people would like. No point worrying about it.

...didn't result in two missed one on ones against QPR and the very likely loss of 2 points.

We won't be fine, as we've seen.

But that's just my opinion and it's as worthless as anyone elses!

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

I totally accept that it's not as simple.... on 11:13 - Jan 11 with 2020 viewsGuthrum

I totally accept that it's not as simple.... on 10:31 - Jan 11 by Bloots

...as some make out, and that we aren't the only ones in this boat.

But that's what a recruitment team is all about, it's their job.

I worry if we are a bit limited in that department, even as fans we seem to assume that our "ideal striker" is going to be a Premier League squad player on loan that can't quite get into their team or is a bit too young.

That probably limits us to about about 50 players to pick from.

The market is a lot wider than that.

There is a dilemma here. Given limits in both squad size and finances, can we afford to lumber ourselves with a striker who might be ok (but not really any better than what we have in Ladapo/Jackson) but is available now, rather than a much better prospect who is difficult to get over the line?

Good players are tricky to prize away from other clubs, "hidden gems" extremely rare. But is the average-and-available going to be good enough? Especially when taking into account requirements for temprament, fitness and footballing intelligence to fit into a McKenna team.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:38 - Jan 11 with 1937 viewsDarkBrandon

The thought has crossed my mind, that if we can’t get a striker who fits the bill in before the end of the window, then it might be best to leave it till the summer and muddle through with what we have.

Then we can spend what we are allowed to this window in the Summer - on top of what we can invest then.

Heartbreaking to throw this start (and position) away though.
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:43 - Jan 11 with 1900 viewsSimonds92

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:38 - Jan 11 by DarkBrandon

The thought has crossed my mind, that if we can’t get a striker who fits the bill in before the end of the window, then it might be best to leave it till the summer and muddle through with what we have.

Then we can spend what we are allowed to this window in the Summer - on top of what we can invest then.

Even under Evans that would be an absolute travesty. Even he brought in Sears!
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:57 - Jan 11 with 1829 viewshammo56

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:38 - Jan 11 by DarkBrandon

I was thinking the same yesterday. Hopefully it won't happen but if it was a case of the player coming in was no better than what we already have or didn't really suit the system we play then I wouldn't be surprised if we stick rather than twist.
Login to get fewer ads

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:59 - Jan 11 with 1812 viewsIllinoisblue

Doing nothing is not an option. McKenna is brilliant but he’s not a miracle worker.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:00 - Jan 11 with 1801 viewsFrimleyBlue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:57 - Jan 11 by hammo56

I was thinking the same yesterday. Hopefully it won't happen but if it was a case of the player coming in was no better than what we already have or didn't really suit the system we play then I wouldn't be surprised if we stick rather than twist.

What some are ignoring is the effect this may have on KM's thoughts on staying with town.

So far hes had support in every way in every direction he's wanted. But if the club can't get him the players he wants then there will be clubs out there who can.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:09 - Jan 11 with 1779 viewshype313

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:00 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

What some are ignoring is the effect this may have on KM's thoughts on staying with town.

So far hes had support in every way in every direction he's wanted. But if the club can't get him the players he wants then there will be clubs out there who can.

Bar City and even they have to navigate FFP, every club has issues getting number one targets, it just doesn't happen, Neville was talking on the Overlap about how clubs have a list of 4-5 players in each position and still don't get any of them over the line, hence the likes of Weghorst get signed.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:11 - Jan 11 with 1746 viewshammo56

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 11:59 - Jan 11 by Illinoisblue

Doing nothing is not an option. McKenna is brilliant but he’s not a miracle worker.

It may very well be if we are priced out of the market. We all know that this is the most expensive window to get players in and in our case with clubs knowing our need to get a replacement in for Hirst they no doubt will bump up the fee even further.
Even if we are looking at loans they probably would be looking at us to pay more than normal.
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:16 - Jan 11 with 1707 viewsSomethingBlue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:00 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

FFP means it's not so simple this season. If our owners were permitted to I think they would be backing KM with fees we've never seen before at Town.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:22 - Jan 11 with 1657 viewstractorboy1978

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:16 - Jan 11 by SomethingBlue

FFP means it's not so simple this season. If our owners were permitted to I think they would be backing KM with fees we've never seen before at Town.

Ultimately none of us know what FFP accounting headroom we actually have once all allowable expenses (academy, womens team etc) are taken into account. I'd be amazed if we don't have enough to sign a £5m striker on a 4 year deal though (£1.25m per season plus wages in accounting terms). Finding that right player isn't looking easy right now though!
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:23 - Jan 11 with 1639 viewsFrimleyBlue

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:16 - Jan 11 by SomethingBlue

oh 100% and i don't disagree at all. But they can't. At some other clubs they may do, So when people have said in the past why would he go to another club during this project, imo it's the one and only thing other than a big prem club coming in for him, that would make him leave, is if he found he couldn't get the players he wanted to achieve what he wanted.

This isn't saying he hasn't so far, and not saying he wont, but just to those saying we may just leave it as it is until the summer.. that brings it's own risks.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:33 - Jan 11 with 1588 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Che Adams leaves Southampton for a Prem side. Obviously they'll be in the market for a striker too - whether that will be the same market as us, I'm not sure, but we won't be the only club looking.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:39 - Jan 11 with 1534 viewsDarkBrandon

Well, that’s the case at the moment. Every club in the PL will have a much bigger budget than us, and several in the championship. All our direct competitors for the top two, for example.

This would have to be done with KM’s backing. I’m sure he’s in the loop.

He’d know that we have (say) £4m, which we could spend on a striker who isn’t at the level he’d want now and a loanee. Or he could take that and (say) another £8m and attack the transfer market next Summer

It probably won’t come to it though. I imagine we are waiting for our targets to become available. But it might be a better medium term option than getting players in below the quality we want
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:46 - Jan 11 with 1492 viewsitfcjoe

Absolutely - we need to give him what he wants with what we are able to

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:48 - Jan 11 with 1482 viewstextbackup

Has anything under the new ownership said/suggested we ‘muddle through’?!

We’ve consistently improved in every area possible, on and off the field… to muddle through with Jackson and ladapo would be a massive kick in the bo11ocks after such positive steps in the last 2 years. And especially being in the top 2! With a very very good chance of finishing in the playoffs in our first season back up

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:56 - Jan 11 with 1434 viewsDarkBrandon

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:48 - Jan 11 by textbackup

Has anything under the new ownership said/suggested we ‘muddle through’?!

We’ve consistently improved in every area possible, on and off the field… to muddle through with Jackson and ladapo would be a massive kick in the bo11ocks after such positive steps in the last 2 years. And especially being in the top 2! With a very very good chance of finishing in the playoffs in our first season back up

I agree. But if we really can’t get the calibre of striker we want, and we are pretty sure that we could in the Summer … aren’t we best off waiting?

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe we can get a Hirst-level striker in. Maybe we can get a striker (or two) in, who aren’t quite at Hirst’s level but are still a big step up from Ladapo.

But maybe in this window there is only a very small pool of players available and our competition for their signing have deeper pockets than us.

Do we view this seasons performances as so astonishing we are unlikely to be able to repeat it? In which case we go gamble it all now.

I’m not at all sure what the answer is, but I can imagine a world where “saving up” our transfer kitty for one window is the best decision for us
Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 13:01 - Jan 11 with 1399 viewsPlums

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 10:16 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

Problem also is our position looked more promising 4 weeks ago than it does now. 2nd a 10 point gap looked amazing. So you have to wonder if someone we had lined up is now thinking again as the likelyhood is we drop out of top 2 and as we know the playoffs is a lottery.

If they're a sporting professional and aren't backing themselves to be the focal point of our promotion push then we don't want them.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 13:20 - Jan 11 with 1296 viewstextbackup

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 12:56 - Jan 11 by DarkBrandon

I agree. But if we really can’t get the calibre of striker we want, and we are pretty sure that we could in the Summer … aren’t we best off waiting?

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe we can get a Hirst-level striker in. Maybe we can get a striker (or two) in, who aren’t quite at Hirst’s level but are still a big step up from Ladapo.

But maybe in this window there is only a very small pool of players available and our competition for their signing have deeper pockets than us.

Do we view this seasons performances as so astonishing we are unlikely to be able to repeat it? In which case we go gamble it all now.

I’m not at all sure what the answer is, but I can imagine a world where “saving up” our transfer kitty for one window is the best decision for us

I think we all know who goes if we don’t go up this year… so yeah, I’d say we need to give it the best go we possibly can.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Seems likely striker will drag on a bit into the window.... on 13:28 - Jan 11 with 1258 viewsDecageBruce

I think what has been proven since KM has been in is that vary rarely do we have any idea what is happening until the last minute. This thread could make it to 10 pages by 4:30 pm and then we get a story linking us to an unknown target at 5 and signed by 10am tomorrow.

I am in total agreement that we are struggling with our injuries and FL/KJ aren't the right solution. I think the only guarantee we have is that the backstage staff will be doing all they can do to solve it and overcome the hurdles that are there
Nah, we needed another striker.... on 15:00 - Jan 11 with 1102 viewsVaughan8

Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:20 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

And the same last season, striker recruitment is obviously an area we struggle with as it is a very tough role required here.

Like everyone, I was hoping for someone in first few days of the window but fact we haven't means there obviously hasn't been suitable targets available.....and the Scarlett situation hasn't helped anything.

When you look at the strikers signed by Champ clubs in the summer, it really is an expensive barrel scraping exercise - the George Hirst £1.5m deal looks brilliant.

I guess we are looking for that value again but incredibly difficult

I can't imagine we'll get anyone good enough to be our main man for the rest of the season for £1.5m or below so I'm guessing it'll be a loan......

As you say Hirst looks a steal at that price.
[Post edited 11 Jan 15:03]
Nah, we needed another striker.... on 16:29 - Jan 11 with 975 viewsBlueOura

Nah, we needed another striker.... on 10:26 - Jan 11 by JakeITFC

It's a weird thing to say, but it just seems like there aren't many strikers about at the moment.

Lower Prem clubs are scrambling for the scraps that might have been our market (Brereton to Sheff Utd, Ings to Palace/Wolves) and then those clubs don't really have tonnes of quality to drip down once those players are in place. There's only three Prem forwards loaned to the Championship as it stands (and we are trying to get one of them), the backups for Leeds/Southampton/Leicester are unlikely to come to us and there isn't many in the lower half of the Champ that would be exciting/doable. I'm sure most are in agreement that League One isn't where we should be shopping if we have ideas of going up this year, and so it probably only leaves shopping abroad (and that comes with its risks and probably takes longer to make it happen).

I completely agree with the obvious assertion that we need a couple of strikers (and did in the summer), but it's a much harder question to say who they are and where they come from.

I agree with what you are saying but imho we simply have to get somebody in from within the pool of players available, even if that means getting a Bishop/Longstaff/Cole type from L1 /L2.

In an ideal world this would not be our market but we have to give ourselves the best possible chance of staying in the top two and that means getting an upgrade on Ladapo ( who is nowhere near good enough ) even if the upgrade is not ultimately good enough for where we are heading.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024