Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best of ITFC 2023? 08:50 - Dec 31 with 2529 viewsMullet

My vote goes to Barnsley away - specifically that chant that seemed to come out of nowhere and fill the whole the ground.

That whole week was pretty special, that game was excellent. All sorts of people came out to spend an evening up North. Seemed to be shaking hands, saying hi, cuddling in car parks all evening as I ran into different people from all over.

We had a great performance, goals and that stoppage as we all chanted as one will probably stay with me for life.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Best of ITFC 2023? on 09:00 - Dec 31 with 2227 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep, although I was on my knees that day.

Picked up a bug at Posh away and wasn’t feeling at all well, but allowed Galloways to transport there.
All feeling of illness disappeared during the game as we won another match of the type we used to file under “we never win these”, along with Bolton, Derby and Peterborough.

Exeter home game also, purely for the relief. When the game kicked off, Exeter constructed something resembling an attacking move. They only got to the edge of our box before it was snuffed out, but it got the palpitations going that this could be a day when we’re off our game, the opposition play their best game of the season etc.
20 minutes later, all was right with the world, and we had as good as secured promotion with an hour still to play.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Best of ITFC 2023? on 09:12 - Dec 31 with 2188 viewsPioneerBlue

Im going for the whole week of travelling to Pboro, Barnsley then home to Exeter. Fab times.

But credit to our away fans, they really started showing up and travelled in numbers wherever they could whenever they needed to. It’s looked and sounded great each time. MKD is a tiny example!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Best of ITFC 2023? on 09:17 - Dec 31 with 2159 viewsurbanblue

As a supporter watching from Australia on ifollow the one time I remember really going nuts, leaping in the air, and the feeling of total joy was when Broadhead put the penalty away against Port Vale.

Yes, so many special moments. Hirsts goal against Barnsley particularly ... but at that time we were struggling to finish the job against Port Vale, and we'd missed a few penalties in previous games. When that went in the relief was incredible and I knew we were up. I honestly nearly wept. I will never forget that moment.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 9:19]
Best of ITFC 2023? on 09:33 - Dec 31 with 2077 viewsFtnfwest

Best of ITFC 2023? on 09:17 - Dec 31 by urbanblue

As a supporter watching from Australia on ifollow the one time I remember really going nuts, leaping in the air, and the feeling of total joy was when Broadhead put the penalty away against Port Vale.

Yes, so many special moments. Hirsts goal against Barnsley particularly ... but at that time we were struggling to finish the job against Port Vale, and we'd missed a few penalties in previous games. When that went in the relief was incredible and I knew we were up. I honestly nearly wept. I will never forget that moment.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 9:19]

Yes was at that game and felt the same. I was convinced beforehand that it wasn’t going to be a push over and it certainly wasn’t! Broady had the look that night though and he was never going to miss.
Maybe less dogging next time eh young man on 09:50 - Dec 31 with 2022 viewsDyland

nffft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Best of ITFC 2023? on 10:10 - Dec 31 with 1965 viewsKeno

all I can add to this thread is "Oh Tremendous!!!"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Best of ITFC 2023? on 10:21 - Dec 31 with 1948 viewsJakeITFC

Barnsley the peak for sure, but I’m going to cheat and say a combination of all of that last week including Posh away, Barnsley and Exeter.

Obviously winning those games by an aggregate of 12-0 was pretty cool, but the joy of seeing faces who had been there throughout all of the last 20 years of rubbish and rather than the usual discussions of how crap we’d been it was smiles and laughter. The mass realisation that we could be about to do it in that pub near the river in Peterborough, the sight of seeing people dancing around the stands and concourses at Oakwell (which seemed to have every Ipswich face you’ve ever known there that night) and then the crushing of Exeter and bumping into people on the pitch after who would have been too young to have ever done it before. Throw in the unexpected brilliance of the coach welcome pre-Exeter and it will be pretty hard to ever top that week as a Town fan for me.
Best of ITFC 2023? on 10:23 - Dec 31 with 1936 viewsbluesym

I'd second that! Was fortunate to share that moment with my young lad and just seeing his smile and reactions in general to the game were priceless.
Derby away was also very good.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Login to get fewer ads

Best of ITFC 2023? on 10:36 - Dec 31 with 1886 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Exeter home, the anxiety driving into Town that day was palpable.

Then to run away with it in the first half, the relief, and then the whole ground seemed to start singing, "Norwich City, we're coming for you!", that was the moment the tears started welling up for me.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Best of ITFC 2023? on 10:41 - Dec 31 with 1875 viewshatch

Picked up norovirus the morning of the Barnsley game so had to give my ticket away and missed Exeter home too.

Haunts me
Best of ITFC 2023? on 10:52 - Dec 31 with 1843 viewslizzibee

Barnsley no contest - the day we knew!
Best of ITFC 2023? on 10:52 - Dec 31 with 1849 viewsSteve_M

The absolute single moment for me was Hirst's goal at Barnsley, a little fortunate to be 1-0 up going into half-time but then we were 2-0 up and all it needed was a bit of composure and we were up. As you and Jake both say though, it seemed like everyone was there that night.

That whole week was incredible, up there with Southend, Wolves and Newcastle in April 1992 for three excellent wins in a week and I know I'll remember the latter one as well as I do that first one in 30 years time.

Honourable mention for Chaplin's first goal against Exeter, one of the loudest celebrations I've ever heard at Portman Road (although I think we rivalled it on Tuesday night and probably with the first against Norwich). At 3-0 everyone was looking round and thinking that it wasn't meant to be that easy and then we scored two more.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Best of ITFC 2023? on 11:02 - Dec 31 with 1816 viewsunstableblue

Great post Mullet to welcome in 2024 and look back fondly on 2023

It’s been such a good year - one to savour and reflect positively on, so many brilliant footballing displays, performances and goals.

So many big moments.

Like you Barnsley stands out, as much for the streets around the ground after the win, the buzz and joy, the cars playing Ipswich songs. But as you say the Blue Army chorus was unbelievable in the away end, tribal.

I personally enjoyed Peterborough away as much. The Town crowd on two sides, the incredible singing, but then just this dominant display against a decent side.

Watching (ahem) ‘abroad’ the Bolton and Derby away wins with friends over was special. We started to look a really strong team.

As for home the Pompey 3-2 stands out, relive it below. Such good energy, movement and just chances galore. The great Ladapo finish off the bench and the Burns header to win it and send the North Stand wild.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Best of ITFC 2023? on 12:38 - Dec 31 with 1627 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Barnsley away for me too, never forget that moment between Hirst's boot and the back of the net, there was a seconds silence almost as though the air was being sucked out of the stadium before the away end errupted. It was the moment of realisation we were going up.
Best of ITFC 2023? on 12:58 - Dec 31 with 1590 viewsthe_toff

Barnsley away
Peterborough away
Derby away
Port Vale home
Exeter home

That whole run in was amazing. Barnsley was the night I knew we had done it, the atmosphere was incredible and you could tell the players knew too. Not that we were going to allow any complacency but that was the one.

More recently Watford was great this season, pre Christmas and with a late Morsy winner from 1-0 behind. A bit smash & grab, and off the back of a win at Boro and the 2 home wins before that. Leeds losing too on that night and Norwich on the horizon. Walking out of there the energy was palpable and properly set us up for the tough games that have followed.

A fantastic 2023. Lots to look forward to for 2024 and beyond.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 13:00]
Best of ITFC 2023? on 13:28 - Dec 31 with 1531 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

That run of away games was phenomenal with Barnsley topping the list. We should have been 3 down again Wednesday and 9 points behind them. Then Broadhead’s free kick has us back in the game from nowhere. Always felt we could turn a game after that.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Best of ITFC 2023? on 13:43 - Dec 31 with 1502 viewsTractorgirlforever

Barnsley and derby away for me. You mean the " blue army" chant that was deafening!.. i think a player was getting physio treatment at the time so there was a pause in play, it was unbelievable noise
Best of ITFC 2023? on 14:32 - Dec 31 with 1461 viewsnorfsufblue

Best of ITFC 2023? on 12:58 - Dec 31 by the_toff

Barnsley away
Peterborough away
Derby away
Port Vale home
Exeter home

That whole run in was amazing. Barnsley was the night I knew we had done it, the atmosphere was incredible and you could tell the players knew too. Not that we were going to allow any complacency but that was the one.

More recently Watford was great this season, pre Christmas and with a late Morsy winner from 1-0 behind. A bit smash & grab, and off the back of a win at Boro and the 2 home wins before that. Leeds losing too on that night and Norwich on the horizon. Walking out of there the energy was palpable and properly set us up for the tough games that have followed.

A fantastic 2023. Lots to look forward to for 2024 and beyond.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 13:00]

That group of games was obviously special and I had the pleasure of seeing 4 of the 5 live but the most satisfying for me was sitting on my hands in the home stand at Peterborough watching us dismantle Posh and throughly enjoying watching the Blue Army completely going nuts at the goals at totally outlining the home fans.... I know some would say they couldn't sit there like that but honestly I was bursting with pride inside....
The Derby game was when I knew we were in beast mode probably for the remainder of the season..... and I was with my son "Loughborough Dan!" courtesy of one of the players....absolutely fantastic day!
Thanks for a fabulous 2023 ITFC
Best of ITFC 2023? on 14:39 - Dec 31 with 1446 viewsPlums

Barnsley away for me too. I think it may have been the first win I'd seen there (I was there for the famous 3-3 which felt like a win). The 'Blue Army' chant was an almost religious experience and then the sheer relief of Chappers' goal sealing the win as we all went nuts was fantastic.
I've followed the club for 40+ years and never mind the best of 2023, that was the best away day of all for me.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 14:40]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Best of ITFC 2023? on 15:03 - Dec 31 with 1405 viewsm14_blue

Best of ITFC 2023? on 14:39 - Dec 31 by Plums

Barnsley away for me too. I think it may have been the first win I'd seen there (I was there for the famous 3-3 which felt like a win). The 'Blue Army' chant was an almost religious experience and then the sheer relief of Chappers' goal sealing the win as we all went nuts was fantastic.
I've followed the club for 40+ years and never mind the best of 2023, that was the best away day of all for me.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 14:40]

Same here.

My favourite ever game watching Town. Spine-tingling.
Best of ITFC 2023? on 15:06 - Dec 31 with 1385 viewsMetal_Hacker

Barnsley away for me too.

Amazing night

Poll: If it were one or the other

Maybe less dogging next time eh young man on 17:03 - Dec 31 with 1286 viewsMullet

Maybe less dogging next time eh young man on 09:50 - Dec 31 by Dyland

nffft

Green is not your colour old boy

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Best of ITFC 2023? on 17:08 - Dec 31 with 1280 viewstractordownsouth

The aftermath of Hirst's goal at Barnsley was the first time that I sang "the town are going up" and actually believed it.

Great stuff.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Best of ITFC 2023? on 17:32 - Dec 31 with 1242 viewsitfcjoe

Best of ITFC 2023? on 09:12 - Dec 31 by PioneerBlue

Im going for the whole week of travelling to Pboro, Barnsley then home to Exeter. Fab times.

But credit to our away fans, they really started showing up and travelled in numbers wherever they could whenever they needed to. It’s looked and sounded great each time. MKD is a tiny example!

Absolutely this, I’m sure I’m not particularly special and they were 1000+ of us who did all 3 games but really was a week for the ages….as good as I’ll ever have supporting the Town

Posh, and especially Barnsley speak for themselves - but Ipswich was just superb on the Saturday, from start to finish - just bumping into so many old friends and finished it singing we’ve got super Kieran McKenna with Woolfie under the arch at Arcade Tavern……if Carlsberg did days, or weeks!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best of ITFC 2023? on 19:42 - Dec 31 with 1145 viewsKieran_Knows

If the best goal of 2023 isn’t Hirst away at Barnsley, then you’re wrong.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024