Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong 11:05 - Dec 27 with 11325 viewsunstableblue

Here’s my thoughts:

1) Having just watched the 9min+ highlights, it was an even more exciting game and an even better Town performance than I remembered. I think I got caught up in some negative thoughts as their team were of such high quality and they were ripping us on their left with abandon early stages. But that second half especially we played some excellent stuff, numerous players went up a gear from the first half - Davis and Clarke come to mind

2) Leicester were very good at times and in passages of play. They have numerous players who for me could play in a top 8 Premier side. It shows the level we need to aspire to - and our attacking options for one, compared to theirs are so much weaker. But McKenna ball and our culture gives us such a difference engine. We just need more quality. Mavididi, Ndidi, and Dewsbury-Hall have such technical ability but also such pace and strength. I thought Faes was outstanding - but I thought he needed to be as Burns was giving him one hell of a game.

3) The atmosphere has been discussed already. It was poor first half, but I think that reflected nerves at how good Leicester were playing at times. Interesting to note someone saying ‘that’s how town fans are’… well around me at the Norwich EVERYONE was going mental, and in that second half last night the same thing briefly happened as Town Turned the screw and the energy was flowing. I did note Chaplin cupping his ear on numerous occasions and trying to fire up the North Stand - for me he was stating “we’re doing it on the pitch here, now back us” - and the Lower North did fire up. But the North Stand is a problem this season.

4) Mavididi and the left side were a problem for the first half and start of the second. Clarke pulls into a back 3, to release Davis on the other side. Leaving the Leicester winger acres and Burns was staying high, to be fair quite effectively. The goal is unstoppable though, I don’t think Hladky was at fault. There are few players in the league who can score that. But crucially Clarke improved and teamed better with Wolfenden. And for me Clarke is improving week in week out. Stick with him. He was excellent like Wolfenden in bringing the ball out. Wolfenden was superb last night.

5) Attacking quality is an issue, we had a hell of a lot of dangerous moments around their box last night. Ridiculous number of shots. But we are just a short in depth and quality. I actually think Jackson caused them a lot of problems, but can’t see him hitting the back of the net. Hirst loss is a blow as he frees Chaplin and supplies him. Hutchison did some great stuff. Ladapo had moments. Broadhead was both brilliant and frustratingly error strewn. We need January business - but I still think we can get goals in the must win game on Friday. Can we play Broadhead and Harness?? Is there a role for Ladapo.

6) Belief in ourselves last night was pivotal - we went into our shell, started playing the simpler easier ball, when Leicester dominated. But we got our belief back - Harness for one was beating players, Taylor too. I thought those two showed that whilst they don’t have £30m price tags they can cut it. If we’d lost and got outplayed like at Elland Road in the second half, I think would have really knocked the season. But McKenna is a genius and he sets the culture we need. This could be a pivotal game in the season. Need to now get three points against QPR and get the ground rocking again.

COYB. What a season. What a manager. What a team. Best season since the Burley years by far.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 11:10]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:13 - Dec 27 with 6113 viewsFrimleyBlue

"but I thought he needed to be as Burns was giving him one hell of a game."

I'm absolutely baffled by this forum sometimes.

Loads of posts about Jacksons lack of ability
People moaning about Clarke covering for a midfielder who wasn't tracking a player
Yet Leicester fullback given a hell of a game by Burns - how the feck was he exactly? Burns ran into him about 5 times. I believe you once said Broadhead was patchy, which I agreed with and at present he still is. But can't believe the continued gushing over another attacking player who did absolutely nothing of note last night. He had an option to put it on a plate for jackson, found the first defender instead

I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:20 - Dec 27 with 6057 viewsSitfcB

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

People moaning about Clarke covering for a midfielder who wasn't tracking a player
Yet Leicester fullback given a hell of a game by Burns - how the feck was he exactly? Burns ran into him about 5 times. I believe you once said Broadhead was patchy, which I agreed with and at present he still is. But can't believe the continued gushing over another attacking player who did absolutely nothing of note last night. He had an option to put it on a plate for jackson, found the first defender instead

I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league.

Burns done him numerous times in the first half, getting good balls into the box, not his fault no one couldn’t get on the end of them.

Bit quieter in the second half I thought but still didn’t really do anything wrong, probably a 7/10 overall performance.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:21 - Dec 27 with 6051 viewsGarv

On point 3) I guess it's normal for boxing day but it felt very much like a lot of tickets had been lent to folk who wouldn't normally go. In moments where we were on the up and putting pressure on there wasn't the normal surge of noise and atmosphere. Very very different to Norwich, different even to a normal league game against a mid table side I think.

Shame but it means people want to come and watch us, so no bad thing really.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:23 - Dec 27 with 5993 viewsHerbivore

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Do you never tire of talking utter sh!te? It's tedious enough for us, but you have to live with you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:25 - Dec 27 with 5953 viewswaveneyblue

Have you had a bad experience in Wales or do you have a thing against man buns?

Only the above would even begin to explain the drivel you constantly type
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:28 - Dec 27 with 5929 viewsGarv

Burns is painful to watch.

Blimey.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:33 - Dec 27 with 5868 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:28 - Dec 27 by Garv

Blimey.

Not as painful as having to read the utter dirge that spills on to his keyboard. His irrational obsession with Burns is just weird.

Wes was pretty much our only threat in the first half, and looked comfortable against largely ex-PL players. Perhaps tired a bit in the second but Hutchinson had a great cameo.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:34 - Dec 27 with 5857 viewsYallop2

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:28 - Dec 27 by Garv

Blimey.

He's got a very short memory because Burns ripped Millwall a new one. Fantastic performance. Coventry and Boro similarly caused a lot of problems. Great finish against the Budgies and was involved in a lot of our good work last night.
Login to get fewer ads

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:35 - Dec 27 with 5844 viewsBuhrer

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:37 - Dec 27 with 5815 viewsSitfcB

Blimey.

Christ, I didn’t read that bit.

Burns is one of the most exciting players to watch when he’s going agains his man or running at pace.

I wish I could downvote that again.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:39 - Dec 27 with 5798 viewscarlo88

Good summary that. I too was well impressed with Woolfenden, looked very composed. Best feature of the whole match was us playing out from the back despite enormous pressure from Leicester, and producing dangerous attacks from it. I don't think they're used to that.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:39 - Dec 27 with 5798 viewsHerbivore

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:37 - Dec 27 by SitfcB

Burns is one of the most exciting players to watch when he’s going agains his man or running at pace.

It's embarrassing that we have such a clueless melt posting so prolifically, imagine stumbling across this forum and his being the first posts you see. The club and TWTD deserves better.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:45 - Dec 27 with 5729 viewsSomethingBlue

"Painful to watch in this league" – please have a day off, or preferably longer, because while nobody would claim Burns (or any of our players) is perfect this is just patently untrue.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:46 - Dec 27 with 5718 viewsBuhrer

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:37 - Dec 27 by SitfcB

Exactly. Everytime Weshino gets on the ball, it's exciting. How can any Town fan not have enjoyed watching him over recent seasons. Wes is and has been fundamentally important to our success.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:50 - Dec 27 with 5656 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I respectfully disagree. He is one of our most consistent performers. He’s also a fighter.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:56 - Dec 27 with 5597 viewsbournemouthblue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:20 - Dec 27 by SitfcB

Burns done him numerous times in the first half, getting good balls into the box, not his fault no one couldn’t get on the end of them.

Bit quieter in the second half I thought but still didn’t really do anything wrong, probably a 7/10 overall performance.

It was a good battle, Faes did enough most of the time to limit Burns. It didn't surprise me to see Hutch come on and cause him a lot more problems because he looks to take them on 1 v 1, causing totally different problems

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:00 - Dec 27 with 5528 viewschicoazul

What did all your Leicester-supporting mates think of us

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:14 - Dec 27 with 5422 viewsN2_Blue

Utter dribble man!

If you think Burns is boring to watch give up with football.
He doesn’t get it right every week (which is a feature of all players that play his position) but some games he has defenders on toast and scores and assists more than most in his position at this level.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:28 - Dec 27 with 5314 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:14 - Dec 27 by N2_Blue

Utter dribble man!

If you think Burns is boring to watch give up with football.
He doesn’t get it right every week (which is a feature of all players that play his position) but some games he has defenders on toast and scores and assists more than most in his position at this level.

Who said Boring? I said painful.

So many opportunities to do more with the ball, but didn't.

If you're happy watching a player run, then fine, be happy. But I like to see something happen with the ball, and turning into players, or finding the first defender, isn't on my list of what's exciting from a player.

I find it fascinating that Jacksons hounded, yet Burns didn't do anything different but apparently gave them a hell of a game. Just find it all odd. People say me not rating a player is an obsession, well imo there's an unhealthy obsession with glorifying a player just because he runs a bit. Same with Harness tbh, he didn't actually do anything of note with the ball last night, he pressed well, had a great engine, but as an attacking outlet, he didn't actually do anything with the ball, esp when we had jackson infront of him with spaces to be played in.. yet Harness has been sounded out as having an amazing game.
I just find it interesting what posters class as brilliance tbh.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:28 - Dec 27 with 5333 viewsStokieBlue

Agenda driven rubbish.

Burns was very good, especially first half and was a real threat against a defender with caps for Belgium. He got numerous balls into the box including one on the first minute which was begging to be put away.

If you think you're baffled by the forum spare a thought how everyone else feels reading your utter drivel.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:31 - Dec 27 with 5309 viewsHerbivore

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:28 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Who said Boring? I said painful.

So many opportunities to do more with the ball, but didn't.

If you're happy watching a player run, then fine, be happy. But I like to see something happen with the ball, and turning into players, or finding the first defender, isn't on my list of what's exciting from a player.

I find it fascinating that Jacksons hounded, yet Burns didn't do anything different but apparently gave them a hell of a game. Just find it all odd. People say me not rating a player is an obsession, well imo there's an unhealthy obsession with glorifying a player just because he runs a bit. Same with Harness tbh, he didn't actually do anything of note with the ball last night, he pressed well, had a great engine, but as an attacking outlet, he didn't actually do anything with the ball, esp when we had jackson infront of him with spaces to be played in.. yet Harness has been sounded out as having an amazing game.
I just find it interesting what posters class as brilliance tbh.

Yes, must be weird reading the views of people who know about football when you seemingly don't. A bit like trying to have a conversation with an alien higher life form I imagine.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:31 - Dec 27 with 5313 viewsbluelagos

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:23 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Do you never tire of talking utter sh!te? It's tedious enough for us, but you have to live with you.

Think we all know the answer to that. He's not alone, but Frimmer's volume of utter sh1te does make him stand out.

He's not remotely representative of Town fans in the cr*p he posts but that's the problem with social media, it gives pub bores a platform where in real life they get laughed at.

Magnified during match time when many posters are at the match.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:37 - Dec 27 with 5234 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:31 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Yes, must be weird reading the views of people who know about football when you seemingly don't. A bit like trying to have a conversation with an alien higher life form I imagine.

Like I said, if you're happy with people running, then good for you.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:41 - Dec 27 with 5175 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:28 - Dec 27 by StokieBlue

Agenda driven rubbish.

Burns was very good, especially first half and was a real threat against a defender with caps for Belgium. He got numerous balls into the box including one on the first minute which was begging to be put away.

If you think you're baffled by the forum spare a thought how everyone else feels reading your utter drivel.

SB

Ah there's SB, first football post for a while and it's to me, bless you.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:41 - Dec 27 with 5179 viewsHerbivore

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:37 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Like I said, if you're happy with people running, then good for you.

Clueless.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024