Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season 09:04 - Dec 5 with 3343 viewsMaySixth

Incredible overachievement

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 09:07 - Dec 5 with 2593 viewsBiGDonnie

Keep your weird thoughts to yourself. Finishing 6th would mean a terrible middle and end to the season.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 09:28 - Dec 5 with 2513 viewstextbackup

That sort of mindset saw us finish 6th in 14/15, losing big games we needed to win to keep it in our hands, and a drop in form going into the playoffs.

If we Chuck away a 17 point (I think) lead we have from now, and finish 6th, we won’t win the playoffs. Small club mentality

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 09:36 - Dec 5 with 2473 viewsNazemariner

I get what you're saying, but a 6th place finish from where we are currently would be a huge disappointment.
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 09:46 - Dec 5 with 2424 viewsHerbivore

Usually takes 75 points to finish 6th, which would see us taking 30 points from our remaining 27 games. That's only slightly better than relegation form over more than half a season. I doubt McKenna would be happy with that and rightly so. To get to 90 points now we need 45 from 27 games, which is us playing the rest of the season at around 6th place form. That should be achievable given that our worst 6 game run all season has seen us pick up 11 points, so our worst form is better than the form we need to sustain to get to 90 points. Whether 90 points will be enough to get us up is another matter but that should be our target and if we can exceed it then all the better. Maintain the form of our recent 'wobble' and we'll end up on 94 or 95 points which would be an incredible season and would give us an excellent chance of automatic promotion.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 09:52 - Dec 5 with 2373 viewsRimsy

What!!!! That's a crazy outlook. We may never get a better chance to go up with the start we've made. I would be absolutely gutted if we don't go up now.

BlueBlood

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:18 - Dec 5 with 2300 viewsITFCson

You're looking at it from a perspective of 3 months ago.

Before the season started we were about 3/1 to finish top 6 so approx 25% chance. So yes that would of been a good achievement although not too surprising.

Now however we are 1/25 to finish top 6 so approx 96%. You can deviate a little away from these percentages if you think you have an edge over the bookies which most do not.

So in summery from where we are now it would take incredible blow up to finish outside the top 6.

You can get 2.2/1 best odds finish top 2 so about 40% that happens and odds on we get promoted so that is now more likely to happen than not.
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:23 - Dec 5 with 2264 viewstractorboy1978

I'll be incredibly disappointed if we don't get promoted from here. We will never have a better start to a season than this.
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:25 - Dec 5 with 2233 viewsFrimleyBlue

The team are 2nd on merit. Halfway through the season with a 7 point gap.

So if we fail to keep up with top 2 then it would have shown the owners hadn't backed KM in January like Ashton has told us they are ready to do and no different a failure than when mick turned down money in 2015.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:26 - Dec 5 with 2236 viewsRobTheMonk

You're talking from a 'before we were here' timeline.

If you get into the top two and have a three game points gap over third, you want to do everything you can to stay there. Dropping out will be a disappointment. Top 6 would still be excellent though.
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:29 - Dec 5 with 2216 viewsusm

I'd have said the same at the start of the season, but not now.
It would now be disappointing and would see a huge drop off in form. We'd also be going into the play offs in poor form, which would not be good at all.
I hope and think we will finish somewhere in the top 4 and that will be an incredible achievement.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:32 - Dec 5 with 2200 viewsDyland

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:29 - Dec 5 by usm

I'd have said the same at the start of the season, but not now.
It would now be disappointing and would see a huge drop off in form. We'd also be going into the play offs in poor form, which would not be good at all.
I hope and think we will finish somewhere in the top 4 and that will be an incredible achievement.

suytfi

True though ba, innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:48 - Dec 5 with 2143 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 09:28 - Dec 5 by textbackup

That sort of mindset saw us finish 6th in 14/15, losing big games we needed to win to keep it in our hands, and a drop in form going into the playoffs.

If we Chuck away a 17 point (I think) lead we have from now, and finish 6th, we won’t win the playoffs. Small club mentality

That wasn’t the fans fault, when your looking like a top 2 finish and all you sign is Noel Hunt and Freddie Sears that speaks volumes for the overall aspirations of the people making the decision s at the time, not what the fans were happy with.

Having said that we’ve had a fantastic season and can have no complaints at the end of it, even if we don’t get promoted. I personally think promotion this time is going to be a big ask, Leicester, Leeds and Southampton while not invincible have the players and squad depth we don’t to maximise points. If we finish above any of those three that will be some achievement but we’re going to have to maintain one hell of a run to do it and the realist in me says we’re still not quite the finished article yet and there’s no shame in that, we’re a project and a club that’s only recently left a dark cloud that has been over us for 20 years.
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:53 - Dec 5 with 2121 viewsBlueBlood90

You think we'd be overacheiving by dropping a 17 point gap to finish 6th? Weird mentality.

We all (probably) would've taken 6th at the start of the season but certainly not now. I hope Mark Ashton has more ambition than you coming into the transfer window!

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:22 - Dec 5 with 2016 viewstextbackup

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:48 - Dec 5 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

That wasn’t the fans fault, when your looking like a top 2 finish and all you sign is Noel Hunt and Freddie Sears that speaks volumes for the overall aspirations of the people making the decision s at the time, not what the fans were happy with.

Having said that we’ve had a fantastic season and can have no complaints at the end of it, even if we don’t get promoted. I personally think promotion this time is going to be a big ask, Leicester, Leeds and Southampton while not invincible have the players and squad depth we don’t to maximise points. If we finish above any of those three that will be some achievement but we’re going to have to maintain one hell of a run to do it and the realist in me says we’re still not quite the finished article yet and there’s no shame in that, we’re a project and a club that’s only recently left a dark cloud that has been over us for 20 years.

Didn’t say it was the fans fault

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:25 - Dec 5 with 1993 viewsElderGrizzly

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:25 - Dec 5 by FrimleyBlue

So if we fail to keep up with top 2 then it would have shown the owners hadn't backed KM in January like Ashton has told us they are ready to do and no different a failure than when mick turned down money in 2015.

How if we don't finish top 2 does it show the owners/Ashton haven't backed the manager?

Utterly ridiculous parallel to draw
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:28 - Dec 5 with 1970 viewstextbackup

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:25 - Dec 5 by FrimleyBlue

What if the owners back KM to the tune of 3 £5m players, and we finish 6th?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:31 - Dec 5 with 1954 viewsElderGrizzly

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 10:53 - Dec 5 by BlueBlood90

You think we'd be overacheiving by dropping a 17 point gap to finish 6th? Weird mentality.

We all (probably) would've taken 6th at the start of the season but certainly not now. I hope Mark Ashton has more ambition than you coming into the transfer window!

There is going to be a very delicate balance to strike for Ashton/McKenna in recruitment.

The team bond here is so strong, a few wrong, but expensive signings could cause us problems.

I remember Newcastle strengthening in January for the league under Keegan and losing the title due to the changes he had to make to accommodate them.

We need to strengthen the squad depth and a couple of the first XI but it's not a case of saying if we don't spend £10m+ we haven't got ambition.
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:34 - Dec 5 with 1933 viewsblueasfook

Nah anything other than top 2 would be a disappointment now. To be there at half way point in the season (more or less) and then miss out would mean a drop off. I think the final third of the season is going to be key for us - especially if the chasing pack keep up the pressure on us. Bolstering the squad in January may be crucial to seeing us over the line in one of the promotion spots.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:35 - Dec 5 with 1931 viewsnoggin

I still think we'll finish 3rd, which had you offered me that at the start, I'd have bitten your hand off. Now, I can't bear the thought of dirty Leeds catching us.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2023 11:36]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:37 - Dec 5 with 1919 viewsBlueBlood90

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:28 - Dec 5 by textbackup

Would it purely be down to the 3 hypothetical signings if we did end up finishing 6th?

I can accept failure if we do it by showing some level of intention and ambition unlike the 'what if' questions that still remain from the 2014/15 season.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:37 - Dec 5 with 1913 viewsBobbychase

I suppose the question would have to be asked why this would happen, given we are operating at way over 2ppg and will strengthen in January. Something catastrophic and totally against current trends would have to occur.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:38 - Dec 5 with 1902 viewstractorboy1978

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:31 - Dec 5 by ElderGrizzly

There is going to be a very delicate balance to strike for Ashton/McKenna in recruitment.

The team bond here is so strong, a few wrong, but expensive signings could cause us problems.

I remember Newcastle strengthening in January for the league under Keegan and losing the title due to the changes he had to make to accommodate them.

We need to strengthen the squad depth and a couple of the first XI but it's not a case of saying if we don't spend £10m+ we haven't got ambition.

The challenge is to try and repeat last January and get 3/4 players that improve or at the least really push the starting 11. We won't see changes for changes sake or recycling squad players. Getting a CM and striker early doors will be important with Luongo likely off and support for Hirst just cannot come quickly enough IMO.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2023 11:39]
I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:44 - Dec 5 with 1834 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:28 - Dec 5 by textbackup

Then it'll down to the owners to decide what made the season collapse in such a way.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 12:04 - Dec 5 with 1786 viewsitfcjoe

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 11:34 - Dec 5 by blueasfook

Nah anything other than top 2 would be a disappointment now. To be there at half way point in the season (more or less) and then miss out would mean a drop off. I think the final third of the season is going to be key for us - especially if the chasing pack keep up the pressure on us. Bolstering the squad in January may be crucial to seeing us over the line in one of the promotion spots.

For me just have to look at points tally - if we get to 90 points and don't get top 2 then it's prob not a massive disappointment, it's if we slide away to 82-83 range and miss out by a few points as would have taken quite a big turn down

Same as last season for me, in that had we got up at 95 points and lost in the play offs the season wouldn't have been a failure we'd have just been incredibly unlucky - as opposed to Sunderland getting 69 points to finish 6th and losing in PO semi.

It's forgotten as well that when we did come 6th in 14/15 we did get 78 points which is a record for 6th place - so we did pretty well to still get over the line that season - why do we always have good seasons when others also do?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 12:40 - Dec 5 with 1686 viewsElderGrizzly

I'd still be delighted if we finished 6th this season on 12:04 - Dec 5 by itfcjoe

For me just have to look at points tally - if we get to 90 points and don't get top 2 then it's prob not a massive disappointment, it's if we slide away to 82-83 range and miss out by a few points as would have taken quite a big turn down

Same as last season for me, in that had we got up at 95 points and lost in the play offs the season wouldn't have been a failure we'd have just been incredibly unlucky - as opposed to Sunderland getting 69 points to finish 6th and losing in PO semi.

It's forgotten as well that when we did come 6th in 14/15 we did get 78 points which is a record for 6th place - so we did pretty well to still get over the line that season - why do we always have good seasons when others also do?!

I think it's realistically 2 from 4 for the automatics too.

Leeds have a few players who still could disappear in January who don't think they should be in the Championship and Southampton still feel a work in progress and vulnerable to bids too.

Leicester obviously don't need to sell anyone, but you wonder if Paes and Dewsbury-Hall could be poached away by higher clubs in Europe or the PL.

I think we could be one of the only teams to actually strengthen without the threat of some of our players being poached. Davis aside, I can't see a prem club coming in for anyone just yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024