Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC players who defined the banter era 20:42 - Oct 23 with 8793 viewsStevieH

1. Leon Best
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:56 - Oct 24 with 1879 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 20:58 - Oct 23 by marchy

What was everyone's problem with him? He cost about five quid, wasn't up to the job and got bounced out pretty much immediately. It's not like we brought him in as some saviour, he was an incredibly cheap gamble that didn't work, amongst other cheap gambles that did.

I felt a bit sorry for him. When he came here he was on the verge of the Poland squad and looking for his big break in a higher profile league outside Poland. Coming here rather scuppered his ambitions. Nice bloke, from what I remember.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 10:00 - Oct 24 with 1872 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I will add David McGoldrick as summing it up perfectly. Such a good player who we never quite got enough out of. He could nearly have joined Leicester before they were Premier League Champions and then took Sheffield United to the Premier League and looked good there with them.

Ulrich Le Pen and Mark Fish are others if we are going back that far.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 10:20 - Oct 24 with 1850 viewsWonTheCupin78

Nigel Reo Coker (did he decline an extended contract? )

Rory Fallon (think he was only at the club a few weeks)

Simon Dawkins (lot of hype, little impact)

Anthony Georgiou (again, little impact)
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 10:40 - Oct 24 with 1831 viewsFifeITFC

Giles Coke
Tom Adeyemi
Lee Chapman
Gerry Creaney
Samassi Abou

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 11:17 - Oct 24 with 1782 viewsFrimleyBlue

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 10:40 - Oct 24 by FifeITFC

Giles Coke
Tom Adeyemi
Lee Chapman
Gerry Creaney
Samassi Abou

Abou? He came in on loan in 98.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 11:19 - Oct 24 with 1780 viewshype313

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 11:17 - Oct 24 by FrimleyBlue

Abou? He came in on loan in 98.

Creany was here in 96.

Think everyone calls the banter era the Evans era

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 11:25 - Oct 24 with 1759 viewsFrimleyBlue

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 11:19 - Oct 24 by hype313

Creany was here in 96.

Think everyone calls the banter era the Evans era

Yeah I can't say I'd call Burley years banter.

Maybe 2001/2002 however...

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 11:42 - Oct 24 with 1737 viewsChurchman

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:52 - Oct 24 by TRUE_BLUE123

Interesting Re Douglas. I agree with you. I thought he had a decent first season, and in his second he should've had a goal vs Norwich which was wrongly ruled out.

For all the stick Douglas seems to get and got at the time, I genuinely didn't think he was our worst player at all. Mick just kept playing him next to another defensive midfielder, sometimes 2.

It’s all about opinions, but I’ll have to disagree with you on that one. You are not wrong about Mick’s ‘what we have, we hold’ formations (Skuse, Hyam, Douglas in a flat back 11), but regardless, he was truly woeful.

Douglas is also the only person I’ve ever known to be filmed by the opposition (a Newcastle supporter) because he was laughably bad.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2016/10/identity-ipswich-competition-winner-played-newc

Just a view.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 11:47]
Login to get fewer ads

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 11:45 - Oct 24 with 1733 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:13 - Oct 23 by le2blue

That player who scored and had a worldie against Preston, then had the squits at half time and had to come off. Don’t think he played again..

As we interviewed him afterwards, that's fortunately not quite true! He had been ill the week before and was exhausted by half-time. Good bloke, I got chatting with him when he was on Life's a Pitch once and arrived early.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 12:49 - Oct 24 with 1652 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Keenan Bennetts.

Colin Quaner

Dreadful.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 12:54 - Oct 24 with 1639 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

The relegation season was summed up by the fact that a young loanee, Trevor Chalobah was by far our best outfield player.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 17:28 - Oct 24 with 1557 viewsjoshITFCporter

Barry Cotter - Surprised no one has said this yet, literally defined the era with that cameo against Barnsley
Ibrahima Sonko - just plain terrible, and publicly berated by Jewell after the Leeds loss
Guirane N'Daw - just a huge waste of wages, think reports at the time had him as our highest earner
Alex Henshall - Very promising youngster from Man City, never made a league appearance despite apparently impressing McCarthy, another winger he just didn't want to play like someone said about Stewart earlier (see also Freddie Veseli, signed after being in both Manchester club academies, who has actually had a solid top flight playing career, Despite his 0 appearances here)
Kelly Youga - potentially the most pointless signing ever
Oli Hawkins - Played up top for us, couldn't score to save his life and now scores more being a centre half.
Will Norris - Flashbacks of Peterboro away when he unsuccesfully tried to do a Hladky. Several further mistakes as well in such a short loan spell

Poll: Who should start in goal on Tuesday?

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 17:43 - Oct 24 with 1522 viewswkj

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:30 - Oct 24 by Churchman

Where do you stand on Giles ‘Cokey’’proper bloke’ Coke? I see he’s got a mention at long last.

Two year contract, ten appearances. A player who had literally nothing to offer. You could have stretched a shirt over a bag of coke and it’d have been just as effective as dear old Giles. Catigory 1 or given he trousered two years wages for literally nothing Catigory 2?

Lee Martin:A very good call. An utter waste of space. What on earth was Keane thinking? I can’t think of a player less Keane-esq than Martin yet in he came and out went a lot of money. For nothing.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 8:34]

I know it is lazy to say "How is he a footballer" but Giles Coke has had a fantastic career of being on the fringe ever since he joined us.

Ipswich - Played 10 scored 0
Chesterfield - Played 2 scored 0
Oldham - Played 4 scored 0
Hereford - Played 9 scored 0

He did finish his career in fine fettle however

Grimsby - Played 41 scored 1

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 17:47 - Oct 24 with 1517 viewsjasondozzell

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 17:28 - Oct 24 by joshITFCporter

Barry Cotter - Surprised no one has said this yet, literally defined the era with that cameo against Barnsley
Ibrahima Sonko - just plain terrible, and publicly berated by Jewell after the Leeds loss
Guirane N'Daw - just a huge waste of wages, think reports at the time had him as our highest earner
Alex Henshall - Very promising youngster from Man City, never made a league appearance despite apparently impressing McCarthy, another winger he just didn't want to play like someone said about Stewart earlier (see also Freddie Veseli, signed after being in both Manchester club academies, who has actually had a solid top flight playing career, Despite his 0 appearances here)
Kelly Youga - potentially the most pointless signing ever
Oli Hawkins - Played up top for us, couldn't score to save his life and now scores more being a centre half.
Will Norris - Flashbacks of Peterboro away when he unsuccesfully tried to do a Hladky. Several further mistakes as well in such a short loan spell

Great shouts here.

Cotter clearly had something. Mick's reasoning for taking him off that night (Barnsley?) was sound but it v became a lightning rod for all the crowd's frustration at the appalling football by that point.

Will Norris was real 'we are going to be trapped in the lower leagues for the rest of our lives' stuff.

Henshall then went on to slide down the leagues pretty quickly didn't he.

I actually thought Mick got N'Daw playing pretty well during that period when we tightened everything up.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 17:48 - Oct 24 with 1513 viewsjasondozzell

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:52 - Oct 24 by TRUE_BLUE123

Interesting Re Douglas. I agree with you. I thought he had a decent first season, and in his second he should've had a goal vs Norwich which was wrongly ruled out.

For all the stick Douglas seems to get and got at the time, I genuinely didn't think he was our worst player at all. Mick just kept playing him next to another defensive midfielder, sometimes 2.

Douglas clearly a decent player (you don't have that career if not) but his legs had totally gone. Brentford let him go - says it all about the club at that stage that we signed him after that.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 17:50 - Oct 24 with 1509 viewswkj

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 17:47 - Oct 24 by jasondozzell

Great shouts here.

Cotter clearly had something. Mick's reasoning for taking him off that night (Barnsley?) was sound but it v became a lightning rod for all the crowd's frustration at the appalling football by that point.

Will Norris was real 'we are going to be trapped in the lower leagues for the rest of our lives' stuff.

Henshall then went on to slide down the leagues pretty quickly didn't he.

I actually thought Mick got N'Daw playing pretty well during that period when we tightened everything up.

Darren O'Dea was pretty bad and in that group that was mentioned. You are right, N'Daw did start to play better under Mick, but was still way off the mark compared to his reported wage.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:04 - Oct 24 with 1482 viewsTrequartista

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:56 - Oct 24 by PhilTWTD

I felt a bit sorry for him. When he came here he was on the verge of the Poland squad and looking for his big break in a higher profile league outside Poland. Coming here rather scuppered his ambitions. Nice bloke, from what I remember.

Which Poland squad? Surely not a footballing one.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:16 - Oct 24 with 1462 viewsKeno

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:04 - Oct 24 by Trequartista

Which Poland squad? Surely not a footballing one.

Phil means Polish squad

Him and some mates were doing a shoe shine business

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:29 - Oct 24 with 1438 viewsMach_foreignBlue

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 21:07 - Oct 23 by jasondozzell

In a strange way, surely it's Richie Wellens? A good pro who came here on loan and sussed everything almost immediately and had the bravery to call it out.

Remember this?

Wellens: Town Players Don't Care 29th Oct 2012 09:08
Loan midfielder Richie Wellens laid into Town’s permanent signings after Saturday’s dismal defeat to Sheffield Wednesday, claiming he and his fellow temporary signings are the only ones who care. Caretaker-manager Chris Hutchings similarly pointed the finger at players in his post-match press conference after the game. 139

[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 21:42]

Paul Cook had also pointed out at the players and their attitude. 'The mood in the changing room remains the same whether we win or lose'.

No wonder Demolition Job had to take the place. The solitary good thing he did for the club albeit it was an extremely good thing.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:34 - Oct 24 with 1431 viewsMach_foreignBlue

January 2018

We were crying out for goals. It was period where Ipswich scoring a goal at Portman Road was a unique occurence and what did mccarthy do?

He brought in Stephen Gleeson. Fans weren't happy with this, mccarthy's comment was typical for him and his behaviour: 'some people can fook off'.

Slow, geriatric Gleeson. What for?

Other names not mentoned (or I didn't spot):
Paul Digby
Conor Sammon
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 18:36]
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:36 - Oct 24 with 1410 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ben Pringle

Paul Greene

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:39 - Oct 24 with 1402 viewsChurchman

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:16 - Oct 24 by Keno

Phil means Polish squad

Him and some mates were doing a shoe shine business

Nah, Polish bricklayer squad. He looked like he’d had a hard day at work and had won a ticket in the boozer to be a footballer for the day.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 18:44 - Oct 24 with 1390 viewsjayessess

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 12:49 - Oct 24 by StochesStotasBlewe

Keenan Bennetts.

Colin Quaner

Dreadful.

Think Quaner's an underrated shout.

The relegation season is surely the high tide of Banter Era. Quaner came in not just as a punt, but as the main signing in our doomed attempt to stay up and was so much worse than you could've imagined him being.

For me, the defining Banter Era signings have to be the ones where we put a lot of our eggs in the wrong basket, like Michael Chopra, Emyr Huws, Collin Quaner and even James Norwood. Especially players where their career died on contact with the club like Quaner.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 19:12 - Oct 24 with 1363 viewsScottCandage

Velice Sumulikowski
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 21:00 - Oct 24 with 1315 viewsArnoldMoorhen

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 21:24 - Oct 23 by SitfcB

Ah, Bilel Mohsni. The man who could make football look like karate and karate look like parkour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024