Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Id like to see Walton in goal 15:04 - Oct 3 with 4304 viewsnodge_blue

I think with keepers you just have to say who is the best keeper in the long run and then play them. Not wait for the other guy to have a bad game. Harsh on VH but i dont think he has the presence of Walton.

Same with Tuenzebe. If hes the real deal and fully fit id play him too.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:06 - Oct 3 with 2459 viewsIllinoisblue

It’ll be harsh on Hladky but that is the life of a keeper. I actually don’t think there’s a lot of difference between them. Both good championship keepers.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:13 - Oct 3 with 2415 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I'd still keep Hladky in goal until his form dips.

You create a real problem if you drop someone in form and his replacement then has a total mare first game back.

Vas has also been part of our style of play recently, playing higher up the pitch than i've ever seen Walton.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:16 - Oct 3 with 2399 viewsnodge_blue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:13 - Oct 3 by burnbudgiesburn

You create a real problem if you drop someone in form and his replacement then has a total mare first game back.

Vas has also been part of our style of play recently, playing higher up the pitch than i've ever seen Walton.

I agree with your second paragraph. If walton came in and had a stinker its a problem to then revert.

But i still think if you truely believe Walton is better then all youre doing is waiting for an excuse to swap them over.

I suspect KM will stick with Hladky tonight at least

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:17 - Oct 3 with 2393 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Indeed. All this, plus if it ain't broke don't fix it. We've had a fabulous start to the season - best ever for a promoted club from League One - so why on earth would you mess about with it?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:18 - Oct 3 with 2394 views_clive_baker_

I would say keeping Hladky in goal is the easier thing to do for that exact reason. Not that KM is one to avoid difficult decisions, but you do open yourself up if you drop Hladky now and Walton comes in and cocks up.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:23 - Oct 3 with 2363 viewsBiGDonnie

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:06 - Oct 3 by Illinoisblue

It’ll be harsh on Hladky but that is the life of a keeper. I actually don’t think there’s a lot of difference between them. Both good championship keepers.

Disagree, I think Waltons a step up from Hladky. Would be harsh but I'd put Walton back in when he's fit.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:27 - Oct 3 with 2321 viewsLeoMuff

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:17 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed. All this, plus if it ain't broke don't fix it. We've had a fabulous start to the season - best ever for a promoted club from League One - so why on earth would you mess about with it?

Agree, Isn’t the whole point of having two capable players for each position that the competition improves the standards of both ? If one automatically replaces when fit you are not getting that.

I think we will see Walton with the first defeat or iffy performance from Hladky.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:39 - Oct 3 with 2262 viewsStokieBlue

Doesn't that guarantee a loss of points though? Taking him out after his form dips will be after when he loses us points.

He's been superb though so I can certainly see the argument that he retains his place.

I do find it interesting that there seems to be a lot more loyalty to keepers on here than outfield players. If Jackson or Harness played well for 9 games when Broadhead was injured I don't believe we would see the same arguments about confidence being made. The arguments would be around how he should come back in as he's got a higher ceiling and that Jackson/Harness would understand as squad players.

Just an interesting thing I've noticed that I think people may do subconsciously.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:42 - Oct 3 with 2248 viewsN2_Blue

But sometimes players hit rich veins of form. It's clear Hladky form and confidence is sky high. Why not take advantage of that. I think Walton is the better keeper, but don't think there is huge amount in it and when one hits a purple patch of form it probably gives them the advantage.

If they were both fit tonight I'd play Hladky personally.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:44 - Oct 3 with 2231 viewsBigCommon

Hladky has been making some good saves. But on the flip side, its been a long time since weve conceded goals, the way we have been. There has been some indecision at times on dangerous balls into the box. Perhaps a lack of communication or lack of trust , that has to be established, between defender and keeper??
Of course, we are now facing opponents that are more capable of playing a more dangerous ball into our box, compared to last season.
It might be that we see Hlaky starting for now. And perhaps after the international break, which would feel a little bit like a restart. We might see Walton back in, having gotten fully up to speed?
Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:47 - Oct 3 with 2215 viewsStokieBlue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:42 - Oct 3 by N2_Blue

But sometimes players hit rich veins of form. It's clear Hladky form and confidence is sky high. Why not take advantage of that. I think Walton is the better keeper, but don't think there is huge amount in it and when one hits a purple patch of form it probably gives them the advantage.

If they were both fit tonight I'd play Hladky personally.

Yet the majority of people last year were saying there was a huge difference between Walton and Hladky.

Just seems like a bit of recency bias to me.

Once again, not saying Hladky should be dropped tonight but this narrative that they are about the same level is not what was historically being said.

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2023 15:48]

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:49 - Oct 3 with 2193 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hladky for me until Walton is properly match fit.

Oh, but then how does Walton get match practice? Hmm, glad I'm not McKenna. But I'd still pick Hladky, which means it'll probably be Walton!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:55 - Oct 3 with 2170 viewsBlueBoots

Occurred to me the other day (and highlighted by your final point), that there could be an argument to change keepers based on the opposition. If we're up against a team that presses us high up the pitch, Hladky has been excellent at either enabling us to pass around the press, or picking a longer pass when the short options are cut off. If we're playing teams who are more direct and physical, I think Walton edges it in terms of dominating the box and collecting crosses or corners. In terms of shot-stopping, I'd struggle to choose between them.

Goalkeeper is usually the one position on the pitch which you look to keep a constant and don't rotate, but the squad have been together so long now they're used to playing with both keepers, know their strengths / weaknesses, and if anyone can make a radical idea work it would be K McK

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:59 - Oct 3 with 2145 viewsSitfcB

Hladky has earned the right and is the current number one.

I’d be very disappointed if Walton came straight back in, Hladky is now in until he makes a few errors or gets injured.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:01 - Oct 3 with 2129 viewsN2_Blue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:47 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

Yet the majority of people last year were saying there was a huge difference between Walton and Hladky.

Just seems like a bit of recency bias to me.

Once again, not saying Hladky should be dropped tonight but this narrative that they are about the same level is not what was historically being said.

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2023 15:48]

I'm giving my personal view point not speaking for the majority of people whatever they thought.

I've always thought Hladky needed a fair chance to show what he could do. The start to his Town career was clearly not indicative of the keeper he is and his career up to that point and i've never said there has been a huge difference between the two.

But i do agree Walton is the better keeper but when hladky is playing as well as he is i can't see the point of changing it when we have no idea how Walton will be. He could be a bit rusty, understandably so

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:11 - Oct 3 with 2071 viewsPJH

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:59 - Oct 3 by SitfcB

I’d be very disappointed if Walton came straight back in, Hladky is now in until he makes a few errors or gets injured.

I would think and hope that it has not crossed KM’s mind to play Walton tonight. It is good to have him back involved with the first team but there is no way that Hladky should not start tonight, or probably next Saturday either.
I was concerned when it became known that Walton would be out for a while and Hladky certainly looked edgy to start with at Sunderland, but he has been a major part of our excellent start to the season.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:12 - Oct 3 with 2062 viewsmonty_radio

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:59 - Oct 3 by SitfcB

I think that dropping Vaz would send him the message that no matter how well you play, you'll always be 2nd choice. An understudy to, say, Ederson, has accepted that, and the large financial compensation that goes with it. But when there's little to choose between them now that Hladcky has a chance to strut his stuff, then to drop him after, say, one notable slip would both likely unsettle him transfer-wise, and also mean that the nervousness that we witnessed at the start of his time here would dog him whenever he returned between the posts.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:15 - Oct 3 with 2052 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:39 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

Doesn't that guarantee a loss of points though? Taking him out after his form dips will be after when he loses us points.

He's been superb though so I can certainly see the argument that he retains his place.

I do find it interesting that there seems to be a lot more loyalty to keepers on here than outfield players. If Jackson or Harness played well for 9 games when Broadhead was injured I don't believe we would see the same arguments about confidence being made. The arguments would be around how he should come back in as he's got a higher ceiling and that Jackson/Harness would understand as squad players.

Just an interesting thing I've noticed that I think people may do subconsciously.

SB

No, doesn't guarantee a loss of points at all. Firstly you're assuming Hladky has a dip, which he may not (or not enough of one that he should be replaced). Secondly there's no guarantee that dip means a loss of points.

Keepers are a slightly different proposition to outfield players. A keeper making a mistake has a higher percentage chance of leading to conceding (although by no means guaranteed). Also, there's only one person playing goalkeeper in your team. There's no-one else to cover for them in the same way as an outfield player has (i.e. ability to use hands and the extra height).

The defence, also, feels more confident in front of a settled no.1. Even though they know Walton well, it's a while since they played with him (and not in this division at all).

Then there's the argument mentioned above, that Hladky's very good with his feet and is very important to how we play in that he's almost a sweeper at times. I'm not saying Walton can't do that, but we (and, crucially, the defence) have got used to how Hladky does it.

It's a good problem to have though, they're both very good keepers.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:20 - Oct 3 with 2018 viewsitfcjoe

It's difficult as have to look at the longer term too - Hladky has this year left on his contract and will be 33 soon. Walton has this year and an option and will be 28 soon.

If Walton is expected to be the long term number 1 then you have to probably be over fair towards him at VH's expense. But if you want VH to stay as a longer term number 2 to CW then you need to give him a fully fair crack of the whip.

Walton had a poor couple of months last year and VH didn't get his shot because dropping him would have been so severe, will VH have a similar amount of rope?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:20 - Oct 3 with 2007 viewsSteve_M

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:11 - Oct 3 by PJH

I would think and hope that it has not crossed KM’s mind to play Walton tonight. It is good to have him back involved with the first team but there is no way that Hladky should not start tonight, or probably next Saturday either.
I was concerned when it became known that Walton would be out for a while and Hladky certainly looked edgy to start with at Sunderland, but he has been a major part of our excellent start to the season.

i think that's probably right for today and on Saturday. With Walton more likely to come back after the international break.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:27 - Oct 3 with 1971 viewsVegtablue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:39 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

SB

Interesting viewpoint Stokie, as it's the same conclusion I'd come to but in the opposite direction. I doubt we'd be having discussions about dropping any outfield player who had delivered equivalent performances over what's a good run of matches now. Of course there's only one spot isn't there, so very understandable.

I'd love there to be more detail available on Walton's performances; it would give me much more confidence in the swap. I was away for most of the 2021/22 season so only have last year's to judge from visually. He was 11th in League One for save percentage in 2022/23, which probably speaks to the middle period when the ball was always going in, but without more information it's hard to know if he was unluckier than his peers above him or just weaker than them in this area that season. He was 10th in 2021/22, for what it's worth. When Walton was struggling to manage his box at times last season I recall many posters highlighting this was usually a big strength of his, so that reassures me.

I missed Hladky's horror start and I missed Walton's best season, which makes concluding that Walton has the higher ceiling a leap of faith. Kieran knows what's what though, so his name on the teamsheet wouldn't cause me concerns and would close the case from my perspective; it's believing he's the better keeper without McKenna showing me that I haven't yet got on board with.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:33 - Oct 3 with 1923 viewscressi

Not for me Hladky had his best game Saturday although Walton may be slightly better not massive margins .
Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:37 - Oct 3 with 1912 viewsJ2BLUE

Hladky for me.

From a form, man management and competitive squad perspective. I think he would look to go in January if we drop him at the first opportunity.

I'm sure I saw a stat that this save percentage is the second highest in the league?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:44 - Oct 3 with 1854 viewspointofblue

We have no reason to throw Walton straight back in. Hladky has been a key component to our performances so far. Whilst I appreciate what SB said about Jackson/Harness over Broadhead, would there be more debate had they scored four and assisted for another three plus goals? Or would we say they deserve the chance to keep playing? Saying that, rotation is more likely for outfield players compared to goalkeepers - just look at the Ramsdale/Raya debate at Arsenal.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:48 - Oct 3 with 1833 viewsStokieBlue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:33 - Oct 3 by cressi

Not for me Hladky had his best game Saturday although Walton may be slightly better not massive margins .

That is definitely a new narrative based on a pretty small sample size. Last year keeper was regularly cited on here as a position with a large drop off.

Hladky has done superbly to make that the case but I do still feel there is some recency bias here.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024