Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Id like to see Walton in goal 15:04 - Oct 3 with 4332 viewsnodge_blue

I think with keepers you just have to say who is the best keeper in the long run and then play them. Not wait for the other guy to have a bad game. Harsh on VH but i dont think he has the presence of Walton.

Same with Tuenzebe. If hes the real deal and fully fit id play him too.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:49 - Oct 3 with 1071 viewsGlasgowBlue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:39 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

Doesn't that guarantee a loss of points though? Taking him out after his form dips will be after when he loses us points.

He's been superb though so I can certainly see the argument that he retains his place.

I do find it interesting that there seems to be a lot more loyalty to keepers on here than outfield players. If Jackson or Harness played well for 9 games when Broadhead was injured I don't believe we would see the same arguments about confidence being made. The arguments would be around how he should come back in as he's got a higher ceiling and that Jackson/Harness would understand as squad players.

Just an interesting thing I've noticed that I think people may do subconsciously.

SB

Is the difference in quality between Walton and Vaz as big and between Broadhead and Jackson? I'd say not.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:55 - Oct 3 with 1045 viewsNeedhamChris

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:15 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, doesn't guarantee a loss of points at all. Firstly you're assuming Hladky has a dip, which he may not (or not enough of one that he should be replaced). Secondly there's no guarantee that dip means a loss of points.

Keepers are a slightly different proposition to outfield players. A keeper making a mistake has a higher percentage chance of leading to conceding (although by no means guaranteed). Also, there's only one person playing goalkeeper in your team. There's no-one else to cover for them in the same way as an outfield player has (i.e. ability to use hands and the extra height).

The defence, also, feels more confident in front of a settled no.1. Even though they know Walton well, it's a while since they played with him (and not in this division at all).

Then there's the argument mentioned above, that Hladky's very good with his feet and is very important to how we play in that he's almost a sweeper at times. I'm not saying Walton can't do that, but we (and, crucially, the defence) have got used to how Hladky does it.

It's a good problem to have though, they're both very good keepers.

If you take out the poor start Hladky made when he joined us (there was a lot of expectation) - I don't think he's ever let us down.

I get that he often takes a chance and it looks riskier and more last-minute than it might with Walton, but I think people forget it's deliberately a high risk high reward strategy. The attackers might get closer to him, but that pulls them in further and has the knock-on impact of giving us a stronger chance on the break.

For me it's really close between them.

Crosses = Walton
Ball at feet = Hladky
Longer distance kicking = Walton
Shot stopping = either
Sweeping = Hladky

But as you say, it's such a major change and I wouldn't risk the time it might take to get used to the keeper change. It's unfortunate on Walton, but the bigger picture here is that we have two very good keepers and the narrow gap between them either way isn't worth changing it out of loyalty.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:56 - Oct 3 with 1040 viewsthatbdude

I'd personally wait until he's made a full recovery. While yes he is fit to play but we should be worried about the fact that he may not be 100% ready yet

Poll: Who going down?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:00 - Oct 3 with 1017 viewsNeedhamChris

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:49 - Oct 3 by GlasgowBlue

Is the difference in quality between Walton and Vaz as big and between Broadhead and Jackson? I'd say not.

Agreed - and the gap is small enough that a mixture of form, confidence, match sharpness and continuity are enough to bridge it imo.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:00 - Oct 3 with 1013 viewsFrimleyBlue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:55 - Oct 3 by NeedhamChris

If you take out the poor start Hladky made when he joined us (there was a lot of expectation) - I don't think he's ever let us down.

I get that he often takes a chance and it looks riskier and more last-minute than it might with Walton, but I think people forget it's deliberately a high risk high reward strategy. The attackers might get closer to him, but that pulls them in further and has the knock-on impact of giving us a stronger chance on the break.

For me it's really close between them.

Crosses = Walton
Ball at feet = Hladky
Longer distance kicking = Walton
Shot stopping = either
Sweeping = Hladky

But as you say, it's such a major change and I wouldn't risk the time it might take to get used to the keeper change. It's unfortunate on Walton, but the bigger picture here is that we have two very good keepers and the narrow gap between them either way isn't worth changing it out of loyalty.

Think Hladky Is the better shot stopper.

But Walton owns the box.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:00 - Oct 3 with 1019 viewsHerbivore

It's a tricky one, I think Walton should come back in but I'd be tempted to wait until after the international break now to get him fully fit and putting some work in with the defence on the training ground. Tight turnaround from Saturday to today to Saturday and not sure I'd want to disrupt the defensive unit right at this moment.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:01 - Oct 3 with 1017 viewsKropotkin123

I can't see Walton coming back into the team until we have a really easy game to ease him back in. He may have to bide his time and wait until the 16th of December.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:05 - Oct 3 with 1007 viewsjaykay

i doubt our points this season would have been any better if walton had been playing from day 1. so i can't see any possible reason for vas to be dropped.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:13 - Oct 3 with 985 viewsHerbivore

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:05 - Oct 3 by jaykay

i doubt our points this season would have been any better if walton had been playing from day 1. so i can't see any possible reason for vas to be dropped.

I think there's a decent chance we'd have beaten Leeds with Walton in goal. Hladky wasn't great that day. He's been good otherwise but I do think he's generally less steady than Walton, he'll play a blinding pass one minute then not clear the centre forward the next, he'll pull off a worldy save then follow it up by shelling a fairly regulation stop into a dangerous area. I feel like Walton isn't so up and down generally.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:22 - Oct 3 with 971 viewsFrimleyBlue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:13 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

I think there's a decent chance we'd have beaten Leeds with Walton in goal. Hladky wasn't great that day. He's been good otherwise but I do think he's generally less steady than Walton, he'll play a blinding pass one minute then not clear the centre forward the next, he'll pull off a worldy save then follow it up by shelling a fairly regulation stop into a dangerous area. I feel like Walton isn't so up and down generally.

Whilst potentially true.

I don't think we draw Saturdays game with Walton in goal. Some of the saves were excellent and imo down to hladkys mobility which I personally believe is quicker than Walton.

There are pros and cons for both tbh.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:23 - Oct 3 with 967 viewsBlueOura

Would be a huge risk to put Walton in tonight having not played a competitive game in months, not to mention very unfair on Hladky who has been pretty good overall and had a very good game last time out.

Walton may be slightly the better keeper but I dont think there is a huge amount in it and I would'nt fancy throwing him in at this point against a good Hull side. Far better to look at it after the international break where i'd be looking to get him a friendly and some intense work on the training fiield..
Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:33 - Oct 3 with 942 viewsHerbivore

I am surprised how many are claiming there's not much between Walton and Hladky, given how many were also saying we needed a new keeper when Walton got injured because Hladky wasn't good enough. He's done well and probably better than expected but for me he is a downgrade on Walton.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:38 - Oct 3 with 925 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Id like to see Walton in goal on 15:47 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

Yet the majority of people last year were saying there was a huge difference between Walton and Hladky.

Just seems like a bit of recency bias to me.

Once again, not saying Hladky should be dropped tonight but this narrative that they are about the same level is not what was historically being said.

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2023 15:48]

Maybe that's because he's improved.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:43 - Oct 3 with 920 views_clive_baker_

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:22 - Oct 3 by FrimleyBlue

Whilst potentially true.

I don't think we draw Saturdays game with Walton in goal. Some of the saves were excellent and imo down to hladkys mobility which I personally believe is quicker than Walton.

There are pros and cons for both tbh.

It's all if's and but's. For me Walton is our number 1, his age, contractual situation, all round ability and command of his box, especially aerially, all point to that. He's very much the profile of our #1, and the fact he kept Hladky out of the team last season suggests he's KM's preferred choice too, all things being equal. Were it not for his injury Hladky wasn't getting a look in. It's just difficult now innit when Vac is playing so well, and unlike other areas of the pitch where you can make the change in game and rotate, it doesn't tend to happen with keepers.

Stability is key, for me Hladky has earned that shirt now with his recent performances and I do think that should and will be considered. If he keeps playing as he has been then it's his shirt to lose I would say.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:44 - Oct 3 with 915 viewsStokieBlue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:38 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Maybe that's because he's improved.

But that's my point, a sample size of 10 matches isn't a huge amount against Walton's sample size but it's much more recent.

Hence I think there is a little recency bias, the sample size should be too small to massively change people's opinions unless they are negatively weighting historic performances and positively weighing recent performances.

I'm not saying this is done on purpose, recency bias is often subconscious.

There could also be the case that he's hugely improved but many are saying that based on a very sample size.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:48 - Oct 3 with 913 viewsHerbivore

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:44 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

But that's my point, a sample size of 10 matches isn't a huge amount against Walton's sample size but it's much more recent.

Hence I think there is a little recency bias, the sample size should be too small to massively change people's opinions unless they are negatively weighting historic performances and positively weighing recent performances.

There could also be the case that he's hugely improved but many are saying that based on a very sample size.

SB

I also think the fact we've had such a good start as a team puts a shine on Hladky's performances. In his 9 games there have been some quite ropey moments, along with some very good saves.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:49 - Oct 3 with 911 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:33 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

I am surprised how many are claiming there's not much between Walton and Hladky, given how many were also saying we needed a new keeper when Walton got injured because Hladky wasn't good enough. He's done well and probably better than expected but for me he is a downgrade on Walton.

You don't think players can improve with training (and confidence) then?

For me it's night and day between the original Hladky and what we have now.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:50 - Oct 3 with 905 viewsHerbivore

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:49 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

You don't think players can improve with training (and confidence) then?

For me it's night and day between the original Hladky and what we have now.

I said he's done better than expected. I still think Walton is the better keeper though.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:55 - Oct 3 with 900 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:44 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

SB

I'm not too bothered about the sample size TBH, this is football not a scientific paper. 10 matches is all we have to go on, so there's not much we can do about that. They've also been against better opposition than Walton has faced.

It's not recency bias to say he's been fantastic since he came in - way better than we all thought - and why would you change a winning team? As I said on page 1, we've had the best start ever for a team going up from League 1 to the Champ. Why change?

When you factor in Walton's likely to be rusty/not match fit it's a no-brainer for me.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:56 - Oct 3 with 899 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:48 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

I also think the fact we've had such a good start as a team puts a shine on Hladky's performances. In his 9 games there have been some quite ropey moments, along with some very good saves.

His footwork has been a large part of why we've had such a good start.

Id like to see Walton in goal on 18:47 - Oct 3 with 847 viewsNutkins_Return

Id like to see Walton in goal on 16:49 - Oct 3 by GlasgowBlue

I would say there definitely is in terms of quality. That's an odd parallel to draw though as Jackson and Broadhead are very different types of player so the differences are much more obvious. Walton is a division above gap keeper.

All that being said I think the timing of switching back should be timed.

After international break or after a. Up game makes sense to me.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 20:14 - Oct 3 with 809 viewsClutch

Surely Walton will start the cup match? Then go from there.

You can't drop Hladky at the moment.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 20:29 - Oct 3 with 791 viewsNeedhamChris

That one was down to Hladky - Walton doesn't do that (not a criticism)

Id like to see Walton in goal on 20:42 - Oct 3 with 762 viewsVegtablue

Id like to see Walton in goal on 17:56 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

His footwork has been a large part of why we've had such a good start.

Not to forget his saves.
Id like to see Walton in goal on 20:50 - Oct 3 with 740 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Id like to see Walton in goal on 20:42 - Oct 3 by Vegtablue

Not to forget his saves.

Yeah, his saves had already been mentioned so didn't think it needed saying again.

Been faultless again so far, and the fancy footwork I mentioned started the move for Chappers' goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024