Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wild speculation but … 19:38 - Sep 18 with 5329 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

… I’m torn between wanting Town to go up to the PL as soon as possible and the fear of being the PL whipping boys. Sensible me thinks promotion in a couple of years would be best. Yet that means we have to lose games and I can’t want that.

Anyone confident that, if promoted this season it wouldn’t be a disaster and swift relegation? Would it be a leap too far, too soon?
Wild speculation but … on 19:41 - Sep 18 with 4036 viewsSteve_M

I think we would have to take the chance and go for it should the opportunity arise. For the teams without parachute payments it still takes a lot to get promoted from this division.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Wild speculation but … on 19:43 - Sep 18 with 4013 viewsbournemouthblue

Given our record of messing it up, season on season, I'd happily take a quick promotion and take the money to make us stronger

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Wild speculation but … on 19:50 - Sep 18 with 3966 views_clive_baker_

I don't really think there's ever a good time to go up, other than the soonest opportunity possible. What we've got now, aside from some good players, is a manager who is exceptional, and the backing of owners who are well and truly bought in. Of course the step up is absolutely ridiculous, you've only got to look at the 3 clubs who went up last season who only have 1 point between them at the moment. But going up with someone like McKenna and his team would give me more confidence than going up with 90% of the managers that achieve it.

FWIW I don't think we will, I think there's a few clubs at this level with too much resource who will effectively buy their way towards the top of the table over the course of the season, but you never know. If we did I'm sure we would invest heavily to try and stay there, and have way more headroom by way of FFP to bring players in. Plus if you go up and bounce straight down you've got 2 years of parachute payments. If you're not financially mismanaged you should be a strong Championship force and generally better for it.
Wild speculation but … on 19:50 - Sep 18 with 3962 viewsJ2BLUE

We will never be ready. It's a daft argument. Even one season would set us up for success for years to come.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Wild speculation but … on 20:01 - Sep 18 with 3905 viewsChurchman

Be the best you can be, right here right now. If the means promotion why not? It’d be deserved and despite the possibility of a season of misery it’d be well worth it for the challenge and the £££.
Wild speculation but … on 20:10 - Sep 18 with 3857 viewsSomethingBlue

Get up there asap and take the vast financial injection to make us better in the long run, I'm cool with that even if we lose 5-0 every week.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Wild speculation but … on 20:13 - Sep 18 with 3837 viewsDubtractor

Wild speculation but … on 20:10 - Sep 18 by SomethingBlue

Get up there asap and take the vast financial injection to make us better in the long run, I'm cool with that even if we lose 5-0 every week.

Yep. If we were to get promoted this season I suspect it would come a bit too soon for us on the pitch, but the financial benefit would be huge and allow us to get the club in a much better position. And you just never know, we might scrape 17th! Forest did it despite getting promoted and needing to change most of their team.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Wild speculation but … on 20:18 - Sep 18 with 3779 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Have we built a foundation in League 1 that means we can compete well in the Championship? Much as there is a bigger gulf in money to the Premier League, I believe the foundations are still more important. If, by the end of this season, we have 4 or 5 of the best players in the Championship, 3 or 4 with some Premier League experience (we could have Williams and Tuanzebe already so another 2 in January could be added) what is to say we can't sign the right players in the summer to be in a very good position to stay in the Premier League?

Who are the current whipping boys? Luton were a bit lucky to go up through the play offs and have spent nothing in the anticipation of being relegated. Burnley's best player last season was on loan and they have not been able to sign. I am not sure there is any evidence we would be whipping boys every week if we went up. I don't think we are anything like following the nodge model.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

You're overthinking this on 20:45 - Sep 18 with 3619 viewsDyland

Imagine a double promotion, to the top tier.

A DOUBLE PROMOTION!

The end.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wild speculation but … on 21:25 - Sep 18 with 3439 viewsSitfcB

Brighton and Brentford probably didn’t feel ready, done pretty well!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Wild speculation but … on 21:36 - Sep 18 with 3410 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wild speculation but … on 21:25 - Sep 18 by SitfcB

Brighton and Brentford probably didn’t feel ready, done pretty well!

Yep. And I think we’re in as good a position as any to make the step up. It would be super hard and we’d need some quality additions, but don’t rule out the edge that a good setup, with excellent understanding across the team plays. We’re putting the structure in place that means we can add the extra quality when we’re ready.

It still might be a step too far too soon to go up, but imagine even dreaming about it 2-3 years ago. People would have thought we were nuts!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wild speculation but … on 22:19 - Sep 18 with 3233 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

Some interesting responses, thank you - the consensus seems to be go for it and surf the TV money. I’ll still worry about the psychological impact of a swift relegation - we used to mock Man City for being promoted ‘too soon’ (to the tune of Blue Moon lol). But if managed correctly, I suppose we might just do it.

We’ll have to see!
Wild speculation but … on 22:31 - Sep 18 with 3180 viewsjayessess

Wild speculation but … on 22:19 - Sep 18 by NorthLondonBlue2

Some interesting responses, thank you - the consensus seems to be go for it and surf the TV money. I’ll still worry about the psychological impact of a swift relegation - we used to mock Man City for being promoted ‘too soon’ (to the tune of Blue Moon lol). But if managed correctly, I suppose we might just do it.

We’ll have to see!

The financial gap is so vast that it's basically impossible to build a Premier League ready team in the Championship.

You can't pay the going rate for Premier League quality players and you can't keep the Premier League quality players you do manage to acquire (via academy, player development, exceptional scouting) for very long.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Wild speculation but … on 22:50 - Sep 18 with 3144 viewsSharkey

Wild speculation but … on 22:31 - Sep 18 by jayessess

The financial gap is so vast that it's basically impossible to build a Premier League ready team in the Championship.

You can't pay the going rate for Premier League quality players and you can't keep the Premier League quality players you do manage to acquire (via academy, player development, exceptional scouting) for very long.

I think Potter did do something remarkable in his short time at Brighton, to build a team that made them ready for the PL.

Obviously De Zerbi has been amazing since then. (It's a strange thought that Brighton's recent rise is partly due to Russia invading Ukraine. Who would Brighton have appointed if De Zerbi had been happy playing Champions League football with Donetsk?) And how would Brighton be doing if Chelsea hadn't come calling for Potter before then?
Wild speculation but … on 00:04 - Sep 19 with 3053 viewspbishop1799

You guys are high on something. But anyway, you play to win and get as many points as possible.

And the club is first and foremost, a business. Not very romantic but it's a fact.

Premier league = more revenue.
Wild speculation but … on 00:19 - Sep 19 with 3017 viewsArchiRob

Wild speculation but … on 20:10 - Sep 18 by SomethingBlue

absolutely agree
and the quicker the better - how galling will it be to see other promoted clubs buying our best players
Wild speculation but … on 01:04 - Sep 19 with 2944 viewsIPS_wich

Not that we were ever in contention, but probably 5-6 years ago I would have agreed. It was peak yo-yo club period with Watford, Norwich, West Brom, Fulham etc just bouncing up and down between the Premier League and Championship - which is no sort of existence. Not only that, but the gap between the top 6-7 sides and the rest of the league was huge which meant that at least 40% of games were a write off before they even kicked off.

But...over the last few years it's changed. Sure, Man City are playing on a different planet, but the likes of Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton have followed in the shoes of Wolves and Palace (I would have said Leicester as well until a few months ago) to show that not only can teams get up and stay up, they can then push on and start competing for Europe. Also the invincibility of all teams apart from City has diminished to the point that at the weekend Bournemouth can hold Chelsea and Brighton can win at Old Trafford - and they don't really count as 'shocks' in the same way they would have done a few years ago.

If we were still owned by Evans I would genuinely fear for us if we went up - but under the new ownership and management I think we have the investment, acumen and common sense throughout the club that could easily see us follow in the footsteps of a Brighton or Bournemouth.

The key to longevity is making sure we are set up for an inevitable relegation (e.g. in player contracts) - because outside of the big 6-7 clubs I think any side could get relegated if they have a poor run of form - so it's how you make sure you bounce back when relegation happens (see Leicester vs Leeds for contrasting examples so far this season).

Selfishly promotion would be a disaster for me because following Premier League football from Australia is so difficult with fixtures all over the weekend at any time - but it would be worth it to see how we would go.
Wild speculation but … on 03:35 - Sep 19 with 2872 viewsKropotkin123

I'm sorry if this has been said already, but I wanted to reply before reading others replies.

If we go up we have access to a huge sum of money. Given the positive changes MA and the team have made on our current budget, the difference to the club could be immense.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

You're overthinking this on 04:30 - Sep 19 with 2841 viewsITFCSG

You're overthinking this on 20:45 - Sep 18 by Dyland

Imagine a double promotion, to the top tier.

A DOUBLE PROMOTION!

The end.

Possible. Difficult but definitely not impossible.

From memory there has only been 3 instances I can recall that a club achieved back to back promotions from League One to the Championship and then to the Premier League.

Watford 1997-1998 1998-1999
Sc*m 2009-2010 2010-2011
Southampton 2010-2011 2011-2012

If we were statistically the "best" League One team in history then I daresay we have a shot at being the fourth.

P.S. It would have been interesting to see how out current XI matches up to Southampton's 2011 squad with the likes of Schneiderlin, Fonte, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain and R. Lambert which I always felt was the best ever in League One. Besides buying Billy Sharp I don't they made many additions to their squad during their promotion season.
Wild speculation but … on 08:21 - Sep 19 with 2559 viewsGuthrum

Or, like last time, we could surprise everybody and finish up the top end.

I genuinely don't think we will be 'whipping boys' in the Prem. Beating City et al may be a step too far, but that's only about a quarter of the season. There are an equal number clinging on by their fingernails who we would provide realistic wins (it's how the likes of Everton themselves survive).

Plus the club are trying to get "Prem ready" so far as possible now - in terms of backroom, setup and philosophy. To gain every advantage. ITFC may not be in a position to hire Haaland, but we can get the absolute best from Chaplin.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wild speculation but … on 08:30 - Sep 19 with 2522 viewsvilanovablue

I think going up and following the Luton example would be great personally. A bit of yo-yoing if we can eventually end up on the right side of it would be great.
Wild speculation but … on 08:41 - Sep 19 with 2481 viewsjayessess

Wild speculation but … on 22:50 - Sep 18 by Sharkey

I think Potter did do something remarkable in his short time at Brighton, to build a team that made them ready for the PL.

Obviously De Zerbi has been amazing since then. (It's a strange thought that Brighton's recent rise is partly due to Russia invading Ukraine. Who would Brighton have appointed if De Zerbi had been happy playing Champions League football with Donetsk?) And how would Brighton be doing if Chelsea hadn't come calling for Potter before then?

I think your memory is playing tricks on you there. It was Chris Hughton who took Brighton up, they were already in the Premier League when they hired Potter.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Aye it's possible on 08:44 - Sep 19 with 2477 viewsDyland

You're overthinking this on 04:30 - Sep 19 by ITFCSG

Possible. Difficult but definitely not impossible.

From memory there has only been 3 instances I can recall that a club achieved back to back promotions from League One to the Championship and then to the Premier League.

Watford 1997-1998 1998-1999
Sc*m 2009-2010 2010-2011
Southampton 2010-2011 2011-2012

If we were statistically the "best" League One team in history then I daresay we have a shot at being the fourth.

P.S. It would have been interesting to see how out current XI matches up to Southampton's 2011 squad with the likes of Schneiderlin, Fonte, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain and R. Lambert which I always felt was the best ever in League One. Besides buying Billy Sharp I don't they made many additions to their squad during their promotion season.

For the record, I don't have a strong (or expert) opinion either way, but can I imagine it? Aye! And would it be a good thing? Yes it would... a 100%, unequivocal, stone cold fact.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wild speculation but … on 08:45 - Sep 19 with 2471 viewswischip

He who dares, Rodney...
Wild speculation but … on 09:01 - Sep 19 with 2441 viewsBigCommon

Even if we did go up and come back down.The money earned and the subsequent parachute payments would give us a huge boost in terms of ffp back in the Champ'.
It's a no brainer, if you get the chance to go up, throw what you can at it within reason..
I would be exstatic for the likes of Morsy for instance.Whos worked his socks off in the lower leagues for most of his career..Fairytale stuff...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024