Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dane Scarlett 10:38 - Aug 31 with 26968 viewsSitfcB

This post has been edited by an administrator

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Dane Scarlett on 12:26 - Aug 31 with 2445 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Dane Scarlett on 11:58 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

Think it’s the deal being a loan after Tottenham have extended his contract which is bugging people, more than his potential talent. We have to trust McKenna considering his record so far on bringing players through.

Plus Hirst was slightly different in he had a great track record at League One, and he did appear to be an upgrade on who we had at the club already. The same can’t really be said for Scarlett.

But on the other hand he was wasted on the wing at Pompey... and McKenna has called him the best young forward in world football. He must be seeing something that others aren't when you compare that statement to some in this thread.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Dane Scarlett on 12:26 - Aug 31 with 2436 viewsitfcsuth

Dane Scarlett on 12:08 - Aug 31 by NthQldITFC

That's more than good enough for me. First season back in Tier 2, no headroom because of FFP and we've kept hold of all our star players, we just can't spend £10m on a quality, promotion-challenge ready CF.

I'd personally like to see Freddie stay, and that group of 4 gives up what we need for a consolidation (or possible play off push) season, and after a couple of sales and purchases, a real tilt at promotion next year.

I think the FFP regs have been a stumbling block in capacity to spend level of fees you may see elsewhere - non promotion will likely see some players move on next summer for bigger fees (subject to another good season) - this will probably open the gap for more spending within the regs.

As I have said all along, we built a very strong squad in L1 for Championship preparation - and that is paying dividends now in the sense we don't have to spend widely or reconstruct the squad now we have made the step up.
Innit on 12:30 - Aug 31 with 2388 viewsJ2BLUE

Innit on 12:25 - Aug 31 by ITFCBlues

Ahadme was a signing on deadline day having missed out on Hirst having chased him all summer & then he'd played well against us, defo not one we'd targeted.

Camara was an odd one - just don't see how he would've fitted our style of play in any way shape or form.

Scarlett probably been on the list for sure. Defo not a panic, but certainly not first choice. Suspect we've been priced out of other targets.

Definitely not first choice? McKenna called him one of the best young strikers in the world. We've gone back for two long term McKenna targets and this a third.

I'm sure we have targeted other players as well though. Can't pretend I am too bothered missing out on the likes of Simms to be honest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dane Scarlett on 12:33 - Aug 31 with 2364 viewsVic

Dane Scarlett on 10:49 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

He does and I trust his judgement but the evidence suggests that for all his talent he's not ready to improve us in the Championship just yet. If there was a possibility of signing him permanently I'd be delighted but there isn't. We should be using loans to add real quality, imo, rather than as squad filler.

Agreed - in principle. But who is there available who we could get on loan and who would upgrade our team?

I think we probably have to be patient this year. We're back among much bigger clubs now with bigger spending power than we have. Our aim has to be to improve again this year, probably sell a couple at the end of the season so that this time next year we have a bit more clout in the transfer market.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Dane Scarlett on 12:33 - Aug 31 with 2364 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bring it on. Hirst the first, but good backup initially and look how Hirst improved in a couple of months here. We could have a gem on our hands in no time. He seems to match the type of player we need, which is key.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Dane Scarlett on 12:35 - Aug 31 with 2341 viewsAsa

Dane Scarlett on 12:26 - Aug 31 by itfcsuth

I think the FFP regs have been a stumbling block in capacity to spend level of fees you may see elsewhere - non promotion will likely see some players move on next summer for bigger fees (subject to another good season) - this will probably open the gap for more spending within the regs.

As I have said all along, we built a very strong squad in L1 for Championship preparation - and that is paying dividends now in the sense we don't have to spend widely or reconstruct the squad now we have made the step up.

Last season we were statistically one of the best League One sides ever. After the January window, we were pretty much the best League One side ever. Every inch a very decent Championship side.

If we'd signed nobody other than retaining that side I'd have been happy enough. We are taking loan players from Man Utd, Chelsea and Spurs in addition to Taylor that aren't costing a huge deal and all have tremendous potential to add to the squad or even improve the starting eleven over the season.

If the right permanent signings haven't been doable, McNally for example, then I more than support the club not adding anyone permanently that doesn't improve the side for the right money.
Dane Scarlett on 12:40 - Aug 31 with 2286 viewsCoastalblue

Very happy with this, the manager clearly wants him and that's good enough for me. No doubt it will be a couple of months to see him really come good, but very hopeful he will.

There's some very deluded people on here who don't seem to live in the real world.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Innit on 12:43 - Aug 31 with 2255 viewsITFCBlues

Innit on 12:30 - Aug 31 by J2BLUE

Definitely not first choice? McKenna called him one of the best young strikers in the world. We've gone back for two long term McKenna targets and this a third.

I'm sure we have targeted other players as well though. Can't pretend I am too bothered missing out on the likes of Simms to be honest.

Well, we targeted Simms - so yeah, probably not first choice.

He may prove to be very good, but it's certainly not a player that comes straight in and improves the starting eleven, which was what MA said we'd be targeting.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Login to get fewer ads

Innit on 12:45 - Aug 31 with 2229 viewsxrayspecs

Innit on 12:43 - Aug 31 by ITFCBlues

He may prove to be very good, but it's certainly not a player that comes straight in and improves the starting eleven, which was what MA said we'd be targeting.

He does and he will.
Innit on 12:47 - Aug 31 with 2199 viewsBloomBlue

How do you know we definitely targeted Simms?

Plus would Simms have automatically started instead of Hirst?
Dane Scarlett on 12:51 - Aug 31 with 2148 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Dane Scarlett on 11:55 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

Three loanees isn't an issue in itself, it's more that two of them are very much development loans that won't necessarily improve our starting XI (at least not straight away) and that we have no chance of signing long term. Three loanees would be fine if they were all top drawer and going to play every week and make us a better side, I'm just not convinced that our loanees fit that bill.

I agree, I am sure that we will sign Williams if he does do well, but Hutchinson and Scarlett are hardly an impact loan like say a Dos Santos was, or someone to supplement what we had in say Celina, and we have little chance of signing them long term.

We may as well stick with what we have. I am starting to think shipping Leigh out to bring Williams in on loan may have been this seasons poor business, I hope I am wrong, but Leigh never put a foot wrong here.
Dane Scarlett on 12:54 - Aug 31 with 2130 viewspointofblue

One minor thing - wonder why Spurs cup-tied him, and marked themselves as one club who he’s played for this season, if they were going to loan him out? Unless Tuesday was a test and, if he’d done well, they would have kept hold of him?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dane Scarlett on 12:56 - Aug 31 with 2090 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Dane Scarlett on 12:54 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

One minor thing - wonder why Spurs cup-tied him, and marked themselves as one club who he’s played for this season, if they were going to loan him out? Unless Tuesday was a test and, if he’d done well, they would have kept hold of him?

I am not sure we're too worried about having cup tied players in the squad given we've basically played our second team in both games so far.
Dane Scarlett on 12:59 - Aug 31 with 2073 viewstextbackup

Dane Scarlett on 10:40 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

Bit of a meh signing if it does happen.

Our brilliant manager wants him, but a messageboard user seems to know better.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Dane Scarlett on 13:01 - Aug 31 with 2053 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 12:59 - Aug 31 by textbackup

Our brilliant manager wants him, but a messageboard user seems to know better.

He's brilliant, but is he buy him a Christmas hamper brilliant?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dane Scarlett on 13:01 - Aug 31 with 2046 viewsWeWereZombies

Dane Scarlett on 12:54 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

I assume he is just cup-tied for the League Cup and fine to play in the FA Cup (unless the loan contract stipulates a recall to Tottenham and no use in that competition either.)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Dane Scarlett on 13:05 - Aug 31 with 2017 viewsitfcsuth

Dane Scarlett on 12:35 - Aug 31 by Asa

Last season we were statistically one of the best League One sides ever. After the January window, we were pretty much the best League One side ever. Every inch a very decent Championship side.

If we'd signed nobody other than retaining that side I'd have been happy enough. We are taking loan players from Man Utd, Chelsea and Spurs in addition to Taylor that aren't costing a huge deal and all have tremendous potential to add to the squad or even improve the starting eleven over the season.

If the right permanent signings haven't been doable, McNally for example, then I more than support the club not adding anyone permanently that doesn't improve the side for the right money.

I agree, I think we we had the team we finished the season with (inc Hirst/Luongo) we would still be a very very competitive Championship side.

That can be factually backed up as well given every league game we have started with, have been with players that played for us in League 1, and we have started the season exceptionally well.

There is going to be more deals that don't come off given the fact that we are now competing with sides with similar or more financial muscle than ourselves - we aren't the big fish in a little pond anymore, where we could flex our muscles in L1.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2023 14:37]
Dane Scarlett on 13:10 - Aug 31 with 1987 viewstextbackup

Dane Scarlett on 13:01 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

He's brilliant, but is he buy him a Christmas hamper brilliant?

Yep… possibly

But as I’ve never got a manager an Xmas hamper I wouldn’t really know where the line is for that.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Innit on 13:16 - Aug 31 with 1933 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

How does MA know if a player improves the starting 11? That's not his job.

Innit on 13:18 - Aug 31 with 1919 viewsJ2BLUE

Smile you miserable bastard

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dane Scarlett on 13:22 - Aug 31 with 1889 viewspointofblue

Dane Scarlett on 13:01 - Aug 31 by WeWereZombies

I assume he is just cup-tied for the League Cup and fine to play in the FA Cup (unless the loan contract stipulates a recall to Tottenham and no use in that competition either.)

More thinking about the two club rule than being cup-tied for the League Cup. If it doesn’t work out for him here, for whatever reason, it ties them up in January. Not so bad for us if we can cancel the deal without their agreement.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dane Scarlett on 13:24 - Aug 31 with 1853 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 13:10 - Aug 31 by textbackup

Yep… possibly

But as I’ve never got a manager an Xmas hamper I wouldn’t really know where the line is for that.

If you read the thread though you'll see I've said I fully trust McKenna's judgement, it's just not a signing I can get especially excited about. If he starts tearing it up here then I'll be delighted.

Dane Scarlett on 13:28 - Aug 31 with 1803 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Dane Scarlett on 13:24 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

If you read the thread though you'll see I've said I fully trust McKenna's judgement, it's just not a signing I can get especially excited about. If he starts tearing it up here then I'll be delighted.

It's clear from this thread that you don't FULLY trust his judgement. You can't just say that whilst simultaneously questioning it. Seems to me you're covering all your bases.

Dane Scarlett on 13:29 - Aug 31 with 1787 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 13:28 - Aug 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's clear from this thread that you don't FULLY trust his judgement. You can't just say that whilst simultaneously questioning it. Seems to me you're covering all your bases.

Or some of us don't think in simple black and white terms like you do. You'd do well to embrace nuance once in a while.

Dane Scarlett on 13:44 - Aug 31 with 1674 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Dane Scarlett on 13:29 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

Or some of us don't think in simple black and white terms like you do. You'd do well to embrace nuance once in a while.

I'm not going to go back across 6 pages and copy n paste all you've said, people can read that for themselves, but it's pretty clear you're not in favour of this signing.

"the evidence suggests that for all his talent he's not ready to improve us in the Championship just yet. We should be using loans to add real quality, imo, rather than as squad filler."

You add "But I trust McKenna" so that when he rips it up and ISN'T just squad filler you can say "Yeah, well I said I trusted McKenna."

Some might call it nuance, others might call it covering your arris.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024