Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luna-25 crashes into the moon 10:52 - Aug 20 with 1727 viewsStokieBlue

Russia haven't attempted to land on the moon since 1976 when it managed it with no issues.

Didn't do so well this time:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/russias-moon-mission-falters-

Shows the real decline in Russian space development, landing on the moon isn't particularly hard, certainly nothing like the difficulty of landing on Mars.

I do like this quote in the statement they put out:

"The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon"

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 10:58 - Aug 20 with 1673 viewsGuthrum

Ah, is that what the anomaly was? Looks like the Indians are going to win that race (so long as they don't also crash).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 11:00 - Aug 20 with 1665 viewshomer_123

Not sure if it's just me but the video under the first couple of paras is a load of Americans clapping!?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 11:01 - Aug 20 with 1655 viewshomer_123

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 10:58 - Aug 20 by Guthrum

Ah, is that what the anomaly was? Looks like the Indians are going to win that race (so long as they don't also crash).

If they do crash...Russia claims victory as being the first?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 11:02 - Aug 20 with 1636 viewsGlasgowBlue

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 10:58 - Aug 20 by Guthrum

Just so long as their rocket wasn’t built by cowboys.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 11:15 - Aug 20 with 1612 viewsKeno

I hope it didnt injure any of the clangers or the soup dragon

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 12:02 - Aug 20 with 1503 viewsChurchman

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 11:15 - Aug 20 by Keno

I hope Wallace and Gromit weren’t enjoying a Grand Day Out either. Nothing is going to spoil your cheese and crackers more than a space ship landing on your head.
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 12:02 - Aug 20 with 1503 viewsNthQldITFC

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 11:15 - Aug 20 by Keno

I heard it was brought down by The Iron Lady Chicken.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 12:06 - Aug 20 with 1473 viewsnoggin

I wonder who will actually be the first man on the moon 🙄

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 12:08 - Aug 20 with 1471 viewspimballwizard

Actually the real reason.... Leika put her paw on the wrong button....
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 13:21 - Aug 20 with 1379 viewsronnyd

That's quite a long winded way of saying "it's crashed".
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 13:49 - Aug 20 with 1350 viewswischip

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 12:06 - Aug 20 by noggin

I wonder who will actually be the first man on the moon 🙄

might be Jeff Bezos
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 13:55 - Aug 20 with 1343 viewsChurchman

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 13:21 - Aug 20 by ronnyd

That's quite a long winded way of saying "it's crashed".

Bit like saying their crummy old cruiser Moskva ceased to exist after a collision with a missile.

It sank.

Edit: then there’s Blackadder selling his house:

Mrs. Pants:
But what about the privies?

Blackadder:
Um, well, what we are talking about in privy terms is the latest in front wall fresh air orifices combined with a wide capacity gutter installation below.

Mrs. Pants:
You mean you crap out the window?

Blackadder:
Yes
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 14:12]
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:13 - Aug 20 with 1199 viewsstonojnr

I can assure you landing on the moon is very hard.

Consider just for a moment the orbital mechanics involved, you launch from an object that is moving in space towards another object that is also moving in space and by the time you get there won't be in the same position it was at launch, so you have to attempt a lunar orbit insertion burn aiming for a point in space that you predict the moon will be, get it wrong by only a couple of degrees, miscalculate your mass because you burned more or less propellant on that burn, and you sail past it.

Now fine the theoretical maths involved have been set for centuries, but actually engineering something that can do this stuff reliably is very very difficult to achieve. Rocket science is easy, Rocket engineering is incredibly hard.

And that's just to get to the moon, landing brings up a whole host more problems as you need to either predict where you are going to land, or give the lander enough intelligence to decide where to land appropriately and that craters in the moon really muck up your ground radar.

I'm not surprised Russias attempt failed, but don't take any space related tech as a given.

I'm sure Scott Manley will cover the causes in depth on one of his videos
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:16 - Aug 20 with 1186 viewsBloomBlue

The Russian film industry has never been at the same level as Hollywood.
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:31 - Aug 20 with 1166 viewsGrandpa

Dropped a Clanger there
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:41 - Aug 20 with 1145 viewsronnyd

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:13 - Aug 20 by stonojnr

Consider just for a moment the orbital mechanics involved, you launch from an object that is moving in space towards another object that is also moving in space and by the time you get there won't be in the same position it was at launch, so you have to attempt a lunar orbit insertion burn aiming for a point in space that you predict the moon will be, get it wrong by only a couple of degrees, miscalculate your mass because you burned more or less propellant on that burn, and you sail past it.

Now fine the theoretical maths involved have been set for centuries, but actually engineering something that can do this stuff reliably is very very difficult to achieve. Rocket science is easy, Rocket engineering is incredibly hard.

And that's just to get to the moon, landing brings up a whole host more problems as you need to either predict where you are going to land, or give the lander enough intelligence to decide where to land appropriately and that craters in the moon really muck up your ground radar.

I'm not surprised Russias attempt failed, but don't take any space related tech as a given.

Perhaps the Indians will have more luck.
[Redacted] on 19:29 - Aug 20 with 1083 viewsvictorywilhappen

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:16 - Aug 20 by BloomBlue

The Russian film industry has never been at the same level as Hollywood.

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 19:35 - Aug 20 with 1064 viewsvictorywilhappen

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:41 - Aug 20 by ronnyd

Perhaps the Indians will have more luck.

[Redacted]
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 19:46 - Aug 20 with 1025 viewsStokieBlue

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 18:13 - Aug 20 by stonojnr

You've hugely oversold that.

Multiple countries have managed to land on the moon using slide rules, there are barely any orbital mechanics involved that a good graduate student can't manage.

As per my previous post, there is a huge difference in difficultly landing on the moon and landing on Mars. It's 2023, landing on the moon is well within the capabilities of private companies, let alone a national space agency.

Let's not look to give excuses where they aren't needed.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 20:45 - Aug 20 with 966 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Press release just in from Putin ‘moon probe crash was NATO’s fault’.
Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 20:48 - Aug 20 with 954 viewsCheltenham_Blue

You can’t park there mate.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Luna-25 crashes into the moon on 21:26 - Aug 20 with 914 viewsfactual_blue

The troubling thing about that sort of news, coupled with Russia's mediocre performance against the Ukraine, is there are mad generals, particularly in the USA, who are undoubtedly thinking 'we could take that lot, easy'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024