Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car insurance renewal 12:24 - Jun 2 with 4877 viewsGeoffSentence

Just had our car insurance renewal price through. Gone up 50%.

Anyone else getting ridiculous rises?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Car insurance renewal on 12:30 - Jun 2 with 3693 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not that much, but yeah somewhere like 15-20% rise. That was earlier in April.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Car insurance renewal on 12:32 - Jun 2 with 3684 viewsKieran_Knows

Mine is up at the end of the month and I’m dreading when the renewal letter/email comes through.

We’ve got a multi policy with my car, my wife’s car and home insurance. We’ve been with Admiral for 4/5 years now and they’ve been great, so hopefully it won’t be as much as 50%.

Can’t be ar*ed with the faff of sorting the 3 of them individually either!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Car insurance renewal on 12:52 - Jun 2 with 3646 viewsBent_double

Mine *only* went up 30% in March, which I wasn't happy with, understandably. So I called them up and spoke with someone, who took me through all the details again (yawn), and at the end gave me an even higher price, about £20 more!

Apparently, as there was only one car in the household now (I'd told her my son was no longer living at home with his car) the policy is more expensive.

I told her no thanks, I would find an alternative insurer, but couldn't find anyone cheaper, so just let it renew at the '30%' increased premium.

Then there was my buildings and contents insurance in April...went up almost 100%, plus they no longer insure me against flood.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Car insurance renewal on 13:01 - Jun 2 with 3609 viewsSaleAway

Mrs SA just had hers through, was about 20% up. quick check on confused and a phonecall and it was down to 10%.... so not too bad...

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Car insurance renewal on 13:18 - Jun 2 with 3575 viewsWoolfenthen

same old story, just shop around, have had quotes ranging from £350 to £800, renewal was in the middle of this, obviously took up the cheaper package which included everything!
Car insurance renewal on 13:21 - Jun 2 with 3567 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Yep - first year I’ve been unable to find a cheaper quote elsewhere.

Combination of increased claims activity post lockdown, economic inflation, social inflation (claims awards), increased cost of capital.

Another hit in the cost of living, and we have to wait until 2025 for inflation to return to ‘normality’. Happy days.
Car insurance renewal on 13:42 - Jun 2 with 3486 viewsFixed_It

Ring them up. They'll almost certainly bring it down if you do. Unless you've been very, very naughty.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Car insurance renewal on 13:49 - Jun 2 with 3464 viewsWD19

Yep. Was certainly 40%+ when I did it earlier this year.

Shopped around loads but no joy.
Login to get fewer ads

Car insurance renewal on 14:15 - Jun 2 with 3430 viewsElephantintheRoom

A few years back I had a 30% increase - and out of curiosity tried one of those comparison sights - the cheapest was the company that I was insured with at a mere 50% less than their renewal. When I rang them up they said they couldn’t match that quote. Changing insurer every year is the only way to cut costs - I’ve never understood why they rip off their own customers.

The same insurer had tried to increase my house insurance when the post office changed the post code from CB1 to CB21. The house had moved to a higher crime area apparently.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Car insurance renewal on 14:26 - Jun 2 with 3355 viewsVaughan8

Car insurance renewal on 12:32 - Jun 2 by Kieran_Knows

Mine is up at the end of the month and I’m dreading when the renewal letter/email comes through.

We’ve got a multi policy with my car, my wife’s car and home insurance. We’ve been with Admiral for 4/5 years now and they’ve been great, so hopefully it won’t be as much as 50%.

We are multi policy with Admiral and are generally good. Always a good idea to ring them up and see what they can do anyway, but if you find better prices elsewhere, they do try and help reduce
Car insurance renewal on 14:32 - Jun 2 with 3337 viewsjontysnut

Car insurance renewal on 14:26 - Jun 2 by Vaughan8

We are multi policy with Admiral and are generally good. Always a good idea to ring them up and see what they can do anyway, but if you find better prices elsewhere, they do try and help reduce

We've got Admiral multi car as well. Last renewal quote was much higher but phoned them up and after fiddling about with a few things got it for about the same. If you got a clubcard Tesco is worth a look with club discount.
Car insurance renewal on 15:39 - Jun 2 with 3261 viewsShineyblueknives

Just sorted my wife's insurance out with the annoying nodding dog.
Originally they wanted £296 but when we amended the policy as we are now married they increased it to £339.
The wife had agreed to go ahead on new price but luckily the card payment didn't go through.
Albeit when we tried to renew the following day it went to £349!!!
After a moan fom yours truly, who has worked in insurance for 20+ years and knows the ropes, they offered £278 which was snapped up quickly,

If your price goes up, have a moan at the company and shop around.
They expect us brits to be lazy!

Poll: How many of the remaining games do you think town can win

Car insurance renewal on 17:57 - Jun 2 with 3145 viewsGeoffSentence

Car insurance renewal on 15:39 - Jun 2 by Shineyblueknives

Just sorted my wife's insurance out with the annoying nodding dog.
Originally they wanted £296 but when we amended the policy as we are now married they increased it to £339.
The wife had agreed to go ahead on new price but luckily the card payment didn't go through.
Albeit when we tried to renew the following day it went to £349!!!
After a moan fom yours truly, who has worked in insurance for 20+ years and knows the ropes, they offered £278 which was snapped up quickly,

If your price goes up, have a moan at the company and shop around.
They expect us brits to be lazy!

Ended up shopping around and finally went with Churchill, about 10% more expensive than the previous year with DirectLine, but much cheaper than their auto-renewal price.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Car insurance renewal on 18:37 - Jun 2 with 3080 viewsMullet

£300-£500! I was shocked to say the least.

Cost of living will hide all sorts of sins from companies looking to rip us off. Especially as they rely on people autorenewing enough to cream a load off already.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Car insurance renewal on 19:12 - Jun 2 with 3019 viewsbluelagos

Bit in Guardian money section the other day. They said average premiums up 16% from memory.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Car insurance renewal on 19:34 - Jun 2 with 2990 viewsslump

Got mine today and it's gone up £6 to 8p over £200

"Every little helps"

UTT

Car insurance renewal on 02:14 - Jun 3 with 2820 viewswkj

Insider tip:
**Never ever auto renew**

Find the lowest quote you can for a like-for-like policy elsewhere and save it. Then complain about your renewal quote citing the discounter rate.

Many insurance companies have a multi tier retention policy meaning they have a maximum discount. Quite often the retention person will be offered a commission that ranges from No-discount = Highest commission, Biggest-discount = Lowest/No commission

Depending on the company the top end discount can be from 10-20% though they may also offer addons to the policy.

Either way, if you've had no changes in address, car, convictions or claims - 50% is a massive rise and you absolutely should be shopping around as I doubt you'll get anything more than 20% discount on your renewal quote.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Car insurance renewal on 02:15 - Jun 3 with 2817 viewswkj

Car insurance renewal on 17:57 - Jun 2 by GeoffSentence

Ended up shopping around and finally went with Churchill, about 10% more expensive than the previous year with DirectLine, but much cheaper than their auto-renewal price.

The funny thing here is that they are the same company. SMH - when will DirectLineGroup ever learn.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Car insurance renewal on 07:25 - Jun 3 with 2747 viewsHerbivore

Car insurance renewal on 14:26 - Jun 2 by Vaughan8

I've been with Admiral for a few years and every year I've not paid the original auto renewal price. If I've found a cheaper quote elsewhere - which I invariably have - they've either matched it or got near enough that it's not worth switching.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Car insurance renewal on 07:54 - Jun 3 with 2718 viewsmikeybloo88

Wife and I are both with Saga on what I considered very competitive premiums...they put my wife’s up 10% and mine up 5% this year so she called and asked why hers was more. The guy then did the sums, gave her a loyalty discount and her price actually went down from last year. So I called up and asked for a loyalty bonus and mine went lower than last year too. Saga are great for us, their prices are the lowest we can find by far... if you’re off a certain age I’d recommend getting a quote.
Car insurance renewal on 18:22 - Jun 3 with 2550 viewsstrikalite

Car insurance renewal on 07:25 - Jun 3 by Herbivore

I've been with Admiral for a few years and every year I've not paid the original auto renewal price. If I've found a cheaper quote elsewhere - which I invariably have - they've either matched it or got near enough that it's not worth switching.

Same here, think I've been with Hastings now for the last three years, they've matched anything I've had from a comparison site or yeah close enough to it..

Still amazes me how keeping your car on the driveway overnight works out cheaper than keeping it in the garage..
Car insurance renewal on 19:01 - Jun 3 with 2445 viewswitchdoctor

no change from last year….
Car insurance renewal on 19:21 - Jun 3 with 2427 viewsDeano69

Yes. Car and house insurance both up by over 50%

Basically doubled in 3 years.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Car insurance renewal on 22:26 - Jun 3 with 2306 viewsHARRY10

Car insurance renewal on 12:32 - Jun 2 by Kieran_Knows

You must be on a fair old whack per hours to not worry about 30 mins works saving you anything from a hundred upwards.

Sticking with the same company is madness, and chucking them all in together is taking it to the extreme.

Insurers count on a fair number not bothering. Much as many years ago when my mate had his flatbed truck written off. He was offered a silly price in compensation. Part of the deal was he was given a hire van.

After much haggling we told them we would not return the van, they finally settled at £2800, they had offered £2100. We also got to keep the van, whereby he was able to sell the aluminium flat bed and the engine,

They work on percentages, ie a certain percent of the population will accept what is offered, both as a premium and a payment. Separate policies for me and the 'young' lady, otherwise you are both being charged the higher risk.

Reading it somewhere, and I now insure a few weeks before it is due. Leave it to the last day and they know they have to be the b*llocks.

When using a comparison site, clear the cookies and look to only pay £100 compulsory excess. You'll find the difference between voluntary of £250 plus and nothing amounts to a few quid, if that.

The point is if you only save £50, that's not a bad return on 30 mins work.
Car insurance renewal on 22:45 - Jun 3 with 2289 viewsKieran_Knows

Car insurance renewal on 22:26 - Jun 3 by HARRY10

You must be on a fair old whack per hours to not worry about 30 mins works saving you anything from a hundred upwards.

Sticking with the same company is madness, and chucking them all in together is taking it to the extreme.

Insurers count on a fair number not bothering. Much as many years ago when my mate had his flatbed truck written off. He was offered a silly price in compensation. Part of the deal was he was given a hire van.

After much haggling we told them we would not return the van, they finally settled at £2800, they had offered £2100. We also got to keep the van, whereby he was able to sell the aluminium flat bed and the engine,

They work on percentages, ie a certain percent of the population will accept what is offered, both as a premium and a payment. Separate policies for me and the 'young' lady, otherwise you are both being charged the higher risk.

Reading it somewhere, and I now insure a few weeks before it is due. Leave it to the last day and they know they have to be the b*llocks.

When using a comparison site, clear the cookies and look to only pay £100 compulsory excess. You'll find the difference between voluntary of £250 plus and nothing amounts to a few quid, if that.

The point is if you only save £50, that's not a bad return on 30 mins work.

It’s not madness when their prices have been better, year on year though, is it? I obviously do a price comparison every year a few weeks in advance of a our renewal date, and then when my renewal price comes through, like everyone, I call up and they do me a better deal.

No doubt I will do the same again next week when I get it through. But regardless, it is a bit of a faff to change, especially now we have all 3 together (and all 3 are cheaper year on year).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024