Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer record broken this summer? 08:16 - May 13 with 7218 viewsWestcountryblue

Personally, i wouldn't be surprised to see our 4.5m transfer record broken this summer. You get the sense that while we 'flexed' on a couple of transfers last season (notably the Nathan Broadhead and Leif Davis deals) our spending & ambition was somewhat tempered by the amount of quality players who were willing to drop a division. I also think that Ashton et al will have been cautious in over-investing in a team of League One superstars who might not be good enough to mount a serious push in the Championship.

Getting to the Premiership is sole objective of Gamechanger 20 Ltd and now we are in a position to attract players with Premiership ambitions/capabilities. Therefore, i think the second phase of their investment will very much reflect this and we'll see some fairly significant signings. Ashton's approach will be similar to what it was at Bristol City (e.g when he poached Adam Webster for £3.75m). I don't think we'll be setting our sights on Taylor or JCH, but instead looking to take players from impoverished Championship clubs and perhaps the odd signing from overseas e.g like Ashton did with the Diédhiou signing at BC.

I fully expect the club's calculated, ruthless and 'relentless' approach to continue and it might result in the odd surprise sale this summer in our bid to upgrade the squad.

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:20 - May 13 with 5396 viewsWickets

Interesting , i wouldn't know but follow your line of thought !
Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:28 - May 13 with 5355 viewsWestcountryblue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:20 - May 13 by Wickets

Interesting , i wouldn't know but follow your line of thought !

Gamechanger's investment and main objective is to get back into the Premiership. In League One, i think we/they were very much operating with the handbrake on with regards to spending. They have incredibly deep pockets and i fully expect Ashton to raid impoverished Championship clubs for players capable of playing a league higher...i.e doing what we did in League One, but on a grander scale.

Think there might be the odd sale/departure that ruffles feathers, but i'm all for that if it means continuous improvement and upgrading. Think it will be incremental as opposed to wholesale though.
Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:35 - May 13 with 5312 viewslurcher

I agree, I think we will now see some bigger signings coming in domestically and from top leagues around the world. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Taylor or similar turn up as well. Players with the right attributes can step up and improve under our training regime. Taylor might even be a championship player by the time June comes around.
Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:40 - May 13 with 5280 viewsStokieBlue

Our record transfer is 4.8m.

I'm sure we will push hard for quality transfers, the only issue with huge fees could be FFP but I've not really looked into how it works in the Championship.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:45 - May 13 with 5246 viewsMullet

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:40 - May 13 by StokieBlue

I'm sure we will push hard for quality transfers, the only issue with huge fees could be FFP but I've not really looked into how it works in the Championship.

SB

You essentially have to balance the books by season 3. As it's a loss over that period that id then penalised. Hence why clubs go crazy for two years or so then slam the brakes on.

I'd hope we'd be more sustainable than that, but I do think a core of around six in and a few more out would be wise. Fees don't mean much, so as long as KMcK gets who he wants I'll be happy.

The thing with this model is it also means there's a strong likelihood that players like Davis are sold sooner to capitalise on their value.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:53 - May 13 with 5194 viewsWestcountryblue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:45 - May 13 by Mullet

You essentially have to balance the books by season 3. As it's a loss over that period that id then penalised. Hence why clubs go crazy for two years or so then slam the brakes on.

I'd hope we'd be more sustainable than that, but I do think a core of around six in and a few more out would be wise. Fees don't mean much, so as long as KMcK gets who he wants I'll be happy.

The thing with this model is it also means there's a strong likelihood that players like Davis are sold sooner to capitalise on their value.

Depends on their runway for development. Last season was Davis's first full season and you'd expect he'd further develop in the the Championship. Personally, i think he's the type player you keep, develop and then sell at a premium when his stock increases, especially in the eyes of Premiership teams. On the other hand a player like Burns might be peaking in terms of his value, development and utility to the team. I think we'll hang on to him though during our first season.
Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:57 - May 13 with 5122 viewsStokieBlue

OK thanks.

So basically front-load the risk and then hope you can pay it off by reaching the PL.

SB

Transfer record broken this summer? on 09:07 - May 13 with 5065 viewsGuthrum

One aspect to this is the extra income from EFL distributions and televised matches. In the 2018-19 accounts (last season in the Championship), that figure was £8.35m, in 2021-22 it was £3.08m.

There's a couple of decent-sized transfers in there already - especially when you take into account clubs pay fees in installments over several years.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

We need 3 or 4 high quality signings if we’re going to truly progress on 10:49 - May 13 with 4884 viewsunstableblue

Signings with even more ambition than our excellent 4 in January… which were around 1.5million each for Broadhead and Clarke fees

Whether we go above 4 depend on the player and contract situation

I think the American backers are up for it

But I would say our stated transfer policy is to buy younger players of real quality with room to grow their value

It’s a project not a quick fix…. Stabilise I’m championship and gel and develop a young team for premiership level

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Transfer record broken this summer? on 11:01 - May 13 with 4827 viewsWhos_blue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:40 - May 13 by StokieBlue

SB

Was that Serini?

What a mess that turned out to be, especially the Lazio friendlies.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Transfer record broken this summer? on 12:18 - May 13 with 4711 viewsjayessess

Pretty sceptical that we'll be able to spend that sort of money, really.

Post-2020 there just aren't a lot of incoming transfers to the Championship of that size. Sereni's £4.8m fee would be about the 10th-biggest fee paid by a Championship club in the 2020s. Of the 10 biggest - 7 were paid by parachute clubs, 2 were directly financed in advance by much much bigger incoming transfer fees and the other fee was recouped by big sales the following Summer.

It is difficult to square paying big transfer fees with FFP calculations. Most of your ongoing budget and permitted losses are going to go towards maintaining your wage bill.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Transfer record broken this summer? on 12:53 - May 13 with 4620 viewsITFC_Forever

I wouldn’t be surprised…. I think there’ll be a couple come in that will make everyone sit up and take note.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Transfer record broken this summer? on 13:00 - May 13 with 4602 viewsWestSussexBlue

What would be considered a “surprise sale”? Walton, Woolf, Morsy, Broadhead, Luongo, Chaplin, All staying I’d say.
Transfer record broken this summer? on 13:29 - May 13 with 4496 viewsnodge_blue

I don't see it. I think we may spend a couple of million on the right player but I can't see 4.5 million plus. It's too much of a gamble whoever that player maybe.

I also think we need to keep something in our back pocket for further transfer windows.

Realistically we are looking to have a top ten season next year and then identify what we need to make us into top two the season after. That's how I see it.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Transfer record broken this summer? on 13:46 - May 13 with 4435 viewsgosblue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 13:00 - May 13 by WestSussexBlue

What would be considered a “surprise sale”? Walton, Woolf, Morsy, Broadhead, Luongo, Chaplin, All staying I’d say.

How much are Wrexham prepared to pay for Burns? Slap a massive price tag in him to show our intent. If he goes we’re quids in. If he stays, fantastic.
Transfer record broken this summer? on 14:01 - May 13 with 4360 viewsPioneerBlue

It’s been said here but the size of fee is irrelevant if KMcK gets players that will take us forwards at pace. Look at how Davis Broadhead Clarke have lifted us and none over 2m. Appreciate if we fished for some experience in the Champ that could cost to secure signings.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Transfer record broken this summer? on 14:14 - May 13 with 4314 viewsStokieBlue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 13:00 - May 13 by WestSussexBlue

Davis won't be going anywhere unless it's a huge bid.

SB

Transfer record broken this summer? on 14:35 - May 13 with 4248 viewstractorboy1978

Transfer record broken this summer? on 13:29 - May 13 by nodge_blue

I don't see it. I think we may spend a couple of million on the right player but I can't see 4.5 million plus. It's too much of a gamble whoever that player maybe.

I also think we need to keep something in our back pocket for further transfer windows.

Realistically we are looking to have a top ten season next year and then identify what we need to make us into top two the season after. That's how I see it.

All told, it’ll cost us well in excess of £2m if we want Hirst, let alone anyone else.
Transfer record broken this summer? on 15:02 - May 13 with 4161 viewsStokieBlue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 13:29 - May 13 by nodge_blue

Two points:

- GC might want to go for top 6 this season before the offers start coming in for McKenna.

- Hirst purchase clause for Blackburn was rumoured to be around 5m, getting him for 2m
would be a steal.

SB

Transfer record broken this summer? on 15:07 - May 13 with 4145 viewsVegtablue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 08:57 - May 13 by StokieBlue

OK thanks.

So basically front-load the risk and then hope you can pay it off by reaching the PL.

SB

It's even more lenient currently.

EFL state the maximum a club can lose per season* is £13m, providing equity is injected to cover it (otherwise the max loss is £5 million). However, in reality this is an average, always spread across a 3-season rolling assessment period.

So you must not exceed losses of £39m over 3 seasons. In the event you breach the upper threshold of £13m in one season, I believe they require detailed forecasting for the two future seasons - to prove the club will remain compliant across all assessment periods. Sanctions can be introduced after any upper threshold breach a season, but only if a club is unable to convince the EFL that it will achieve compliance without such measures.
Transfer record broken this summer? on 15:34 - May 13 with 4037 viewsElephantintheRoom

Perhaps you need to take a loom at the championship table? Luton, Coventry, Sunderland…. Throw in Milwall and Blackburn =, perhaps even Middlesborough and there are ot many big spenders there - and a lot of recent risers from the third division. By ny reckoning there are 18 clubs i the championship who think they belong in the Prem - compared to only four in the third division.

You also need to take a few reality tablets on the market value of championship players…. Nobody is interested further up the food chain.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Transfer record broken this summer? on 17:09 - May 13 with 3864 viewsnodge_blue

Transfer record broken this summer? on 15:02 - May 13 by StokieBlue

Two points:

- GC might want to go for top 6 this season before the offers start coming in for McKenna.

- Hirst purchase clause for Blackburn was rumoured to be around 5m, getting him for 2m
would be a steal.

SB

Well top ten doesn't exclude top 6! But everyone, including McKenna, can't be totally sure which player will step up and which will be found a bit short. I'm sure McKenna will be here for at least the next two seasons.

I was hirst biggest fan coming in. I thought his physicality and thrust through the middle was exactly what we need. But 5 mil is still a helluva lot. It maybe that we pay that. But Im not convinced we will. Plus rumours aren't always right.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Transfer record broken this summer? on 18:52 - May 13 with 3649 viewsMullet

Transfer record broken this summer? on 15:34 - May 13 by ElephantintheRoom

Perhaps you need to take a loom at the championship table? Luton, Coventry, Sunderland…. Throw in Milwall and Blackburn =, perhaps even Middlesborough and there are ot many big spenders there - and a lot of recent risers from the third division. By ny reckoning there are 18 clubs i the championship who think they belong in the Prem - compared to only four in the third division.

You also need to take a few reality tablets on the market value of championship players…. Nobody is interested further up the food chain.

You're consistent. Clueless, and utterly deluded, but consistent at least.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Transfer record broken this summer? on 19:04 - May 13 with 3603 viewsJ2BLUE

Two points:

would be a steal.

SB

It wouldn't surprising me but I think we need to calm down a little so people aren't disappointed if it doesn't happen. Our recruitment is different level now than it was under Evans. The signings we make will have the attributes McKenna wants and the club have identified as being key for a promotion push. If that costs us £2m rather than £10m that's great.

Team spirit is also massive and while we might be 'ruthless' it's going to take a decent fee to replace to upgrade the core of this team. We might splash out on a CB and a couple of strikers but other signings might just be to upgrade the squad players.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Transfer record broken this summer? on 23:15 - May 13 with 3206 viewsjayessess

Two points:

would be a steal.

SB

Extremely puzzled at the high hypothetical prices people are putting on George Hirst. He's 24 and his career record is:

Championship 0 goals, 40 apps
League One 19 goals, 61 apps

Leicester can put whatever clause in a loan agreement, no-one is paying £5m for him.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024