Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfy is so underrated 07:53 - Dec 11 with 2804 viewstractorboy1978

I don't think a lot of fans appreciate quite how good he is. Hopefully we see next season how he fares at Championship level with us but he is an absolute Rolls Royce in this division. A better ball playing CB you will not find. He's also deceptively quick and positionally getting better all the time, covering for team mates etc.
Woolfy is so underrated on 08:33 - Dec 11 with 2393 viewsChrisd

He certainly fits KM’s way of playing and does seem to be getting his mojo back, but I do worry about us defensively, too many times we didn’t win headers from crosses, make it more difficult for the opposition to win the ball or we allow the ball to bounce and get ourselves in trouble. I looked at our central defence yesterday and they all want to be footballing defenders it seems instead of enjoying doing the horrible stuff and taking pride from stopping the opposition from scoring.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Woolfy is so underrated on 08:38 - Dec 11 with 2374 viewspennblue

I have always been critical of him as he has had a mistake in him, perhaps too often, he can 'switch' off in key moments.

I think this less season we are seeing this happen less.

But yes he does have a lot of strengths. The trouble is, as a defender, if a goal is conceded and it is your fault, this tends to get more focus.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Woolfy is so underrated on 08:39 - Dec 11 with 2365 viewsDubtractor

Yep.

I've always been a big cheerleader for Woolfy - he is so composed, a great passer, and getting better all the time at the gritty side of defending. Clarke Harris barely troubled us in open play yesterday.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Woolfy is so underrated on 08:43 - Dec 11 with 2350 viewsDJR

Woolfy was immense yesterday.

And interestingly, Burgess doesn't look quite so good against teams who try to play football (Fleetwood and Posh).
[Post edited 11 Dec 2022 8:45]
Woolfy is so underrated on 08:53 - Dec 11 with 2312 viewsjayessess

Before the game I was anticipating Woolfie against probably the best striker in League One and it was an absolute non-contest, JCH did nothing.

For me the best centre back in the division, on and off the ball. We're so fortunate to have him and thank Christ we booted Paul Cook before he could sell him.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Woolfy is so underrated on 09:25 - Dec 11 with 2213 viewsbelgablue

Woolfy is so underrated on 08:53 - Dec 11 by jayessess

Before the game I was anticipating Woolfie against probably the best striker in League One and it was an absolute non-contest, JCH did nothing.

For me the best centre back in the division, on and off the ball. We're so fortunate to have him and thank Christ we booted Paul Cook before he could sell him.

Good point re Cook - LW could have been another we let go far too easily / soon

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Woolfy is so underrated on 09:31 - Dec 11 with 2178 viewsGuthrum

Woolfy is so underrated on 08:43 - Dec 11 by DJR

Woolfy was immense yesterday.

And interestingly, Burgess doesn't look quite so good against teams who try to play football (Fleetwood and Posh).
[Post edited 11 Dec 2022 8:45]

In very broad terms, Burgess is better in the air, Edmundson on the deck.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Woolfy is so underrated on 09:33 - Dec 11 with 2155 viewsjayessess

Woolfy is so underrated on 09:25 - Dec 11 by belgablue

Good point re Cook - LW could have been another we let go far too easily / soon

Selling Woolfenden so he could play Nsiala is one of the most deranged things an Ipswich Town manager has ever thought of.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2022 9:34]

Login to get fewer ads

Woolfy is so underrated on 09:36 - Dec 11 with 2119 viewsNickITFC

Been saying for years he is a very gifted footballer. We are very lucky to have such a player at this level. I remember seeing him in a friendly against West Ham and he made Arnautovic look bang average, was relaly excited to see him line up for us that season. 2 days later he was loaned out to Swindon, shocking decision!!
Woolfy is so underrated on 10:11 - Dec 11 with 1993 viewsBroadhill

Titus Bramble used to get lots of stick from the fans, but he was 100â„… better than Wolf and he was playing in the Premier League.
Woolfy is so underrated on 10:13 - Dec 11 with 1982 viewsjayessess

Woolfy is so underrated on 10:11 - Dec 11 by Broadhill

Titus Bramble used to get lots of stick from the fans, but he was 100â„… better than Wolf and he was playing in the Premier League.

Relevance?

I think he’s pretty highly rated on 10:13 - Dec 11 with 1985 viewsDyland

By people who kind of get football at least 😎

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Woolfy is so underrated on 10:14 - Dec 11 with 1968 viewspointofblue

Woolfy is so underrated on 08:33 - Dec 11 by Chrisd

He certainly fits KM’s way of playing and does seem to be getting his mojo back, but I do worry about us defensively, too many times we didn’t win headers from crosses, make it more difficult for the opposition to win the ball or we allow the ball to bounce and get ourselves in trouble. I looked at our central defence yesterday and they all want to be footballing defenders it seems instead of enjoying doing the horrible stuff and taking pride from stopping the opposition from scoring.

I do agree to an extent though think he has been improving of late -- certainly he works better alongside Burgess than Edmondson (and I think Edmondson would work better alongside Burgess than he does with Woolfenden too).

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Woolfy is so underrated on 10:18 - Dec 11 with 1949 viewsDJR

Woolfy is so underrated on 09:31 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Agreed, which makes me think that Edmundson (who had a bit of a knock midweek) is not out of the picture.
Woolfy is so underrated on 10:24 - Dec 11 with 1932 viewspointofblue

Woolfy is so underrated on 10:18 - Dec 11 by DJR

Agreed, which makes me think that Edmundson (who had a bit of a knock midweek) is not out of the picture.

Handling Edmundson is going to be an interesting challenge for McKenna. From his pre-match comments it feels like Woolfenden is one of the first names on the team sheet but the defence on the whole looks more sure-footed with Burgess alongside him. But Edmundson will understandably be asking for game time soon.

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:29 - Dec 11 with 1781 viewsFrimleyBlue

Woolfy is so underrated on 09:31 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

It's the perfect partnership.
One comfortable ball playing cb and one no nonsense.

Yes sometimes yesterday burgess had some iffy moments.. but I still feel more comfortable with him there than edmundson. Which I didn't see coming last season.

Has burgess lost a game that he's started this season?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:37 - Dec 11 with 1771 viewsbournemouthblue

I know KVY seems to be favoured as a replacement for JD but the Wolf could do that role also, if you then stick the Fridge central potentially, that would be interesting to see

I assume Baggot when he returns is likely to play the left side of this three as time goes on potentially as well

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:48 - Dec 11 with 1740 viewsDJR

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:37 - Dec 11 by bournemouthblue

I know KVY seems to be favoured as a replacement for JD but the Wolf could do that role also, if you then stick the Fridge central potentially, that would be interesting to see

I assume Baggot when he returns is likely to play the left side of this three as time goes on potentially as well

KVY was excellent yesterday, so in my view no need to replace him if Janoi isn't about.
Woolfy is so underrated on 12:49 - Dec 11 with 1733 viewspointofblue

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:37 - Dec 11 by bournemouthblue

I’m concerned about Woolfenden’s pace against wingers at right back and I’m not sure if he’ll be as supportive in an attacking sense as Donacien and KVY are.

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:54 - Dec 11 with 1724 viewsjayessess

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:49 - Dec 11 by pointofblue

I’m concerned about Woolfenden’s pace against wingers at right back and I’m not sure if he’ll be as supportive in an attacking sense as Donacien and KVY are.

He's quicker than he looks like he should be when he turns the afterburners on. There was a point where I was concerned about his one-on-one ground defending, but he's very secure at that now.

Woolfy is so underrated on 13:31 - Dec 11 with 1648 viewsbournemouthblue

And that's ultimately why we are favouring KVY, I imagine that would be the third option potentially

Wolf isn't slow by any means, quite often we stifle oppo counter attacks because JD and Woolly are as fast as their speedsters

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Woolfy is so underrated on 14:08 - Dec 11 with 1567 viewsDJR

Woolfy is so underrated on 13:31 - Dec 11 by bournemouthblue

And that's ultimately why we are favouring KVY, I imagine that would be the third option potentially

Wolf isn't slow by any means, quite often we stifle oppo counter attacks because JD and Woolly are as fast as their speedsters

Agreed. Indeed, as McK has said Woolfy is key to the way we play, I am not sure we would ever move him to right back.

Admittedly we did in one of the cup games, but I think that was to give Keogh some game time.

If both JD and KVY weren't available, we could presumably bring Burns back because I think he played as a right back for Fleetwood. And we could play Jackson in Burns' place.
Woolfy is so underrated on 14:19 - Dec 11 with 1539 viewsmonty_radio

Woolfy is so underrated on 12:48 - Dec 11 by DJR

KVY was excellent yesterday, so in my view no need to replace him if Janoi isn't about.

Not good enough in the air to replace that bit of Janoi's game though

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Woolfy is so underrated on 14:35 - Dec 11 with 1495 viewsDJR

Woolfy is so underrated on 14:19 - Dec 11 by monty_radio

Not good enough in the air to replace that bit of Janoi's game though

Fair point.
Woolfy is so underrated on 15:18 - Dec 11 with 1435 viewsjeera

Has anyone heard anything about JD yet?

Could not understand why he was allowed to continue after pulling up the way he did.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024