Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unpopular football opinions thread 14:26 - Oct 26 with 16244 viewsSparky85

What is everyone's unpopular football opinion.

Mine is that Rio Ferdinand was not that good of a defender, he was just lucky with who he played alongside (Terry, Vidic)

Expecting down votes galore!
Unpopular football opinions thread on 20:52 - Feb 22 with 1730 viewsFrimleyBlue

Unpopular football opinions thread on 14:45 - Oct 26 by FrimleyBlue

Wes Burns isn't as good as people think he is.

Wes Burns. Still isn't as good as people think he is ;)

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Unpopular football opinions thread on 21:20 - Feb 22 with 1695 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Unpopular football opinions thread on 20:52 - Feb 22 by FrimleyBlue

Basically the answer to this thread is…anything Frimley posts.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 21:30 - Feb 22 with 1645 viewsibbleobble

Unpopular football opinions thread on 20:24 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Mick McCarthy was a better manager than Kieron McKenna is.

But hopefully that will no longer be true in a couple of years.

“Was”? Past tense? So…Mick McCarthy isn’t as good a manager as McKenna now? Hallelujah, the penny has finally dropped. In light of that, I’ll go with…Mick McCarthy isn’t a Championship level manager (your words not mine).
Unpopular football opinions thread on 22:24 - Feb 22 with 1544 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Unpopular football opinions thread on 21:30 - Feb 22 by ibbleobble

“Was”? Past tense? So…Mick McCarthy isn’t as good a manager as McKenna now? Hallelujah, the penny has finally dropped. In light of that, I’ll go with…Mick McCarthy isn’t a Championship level manager (your words not mine).

Weird take. You could easily have read it in the context of managing Ipswich. Or you could have looked at the fact it was posted 4 months ago at which point Mick McCarthy was not a Championship manager and had not managed a side at all for 12 months. Of course, I am sure you knew he was going to be appointed to another Championship job 3 months later but I don't have that level of prophetic insight.

Your last phrase are words that you have written based on a deliberate misrepresentation of what I posted in the context of 4 months ago and quite clearly not anything I wrote at all. So not my words but simply your bizarre take. Doh!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Unpopular football opinions thread on 05:45 - Feb 23 with 1369 viewsibbleobble

Unpopular football opinions thread on 22:24 - Feb 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Weird take. You could easily have read it in the context of managing Ipswich. Or you could have looked at the fact it was posted 4 months ago at which point Mick McCarthy was not a Championship manager and had not managed a side at all for 12 months. Of course, I am sure you knew he was going to be appointed to another Championship job 3 months later but I don't have that level of prophetic insight.

Your last phrase are words that you have written based on a deliberate misrepresentation of what I posted in the context of 4 months ago and quite clearly not anything I wrote at all. So not my words but simply your bizarre take. Doh!

It was a joke mate. Good to see folk are still very protective about Mick and equally prickly about it too. Mullet at the front as the drummer boy as per usual. Some things never change no matter how glaring they become.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 09:04 - Feb 23 with 1280 viewsElephantintheRoom

George Burley destroyed the club

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Unpopular football opinions thread on 09:09 - Feb 23 with 1262 viewsChurchman

Unpopular football opinions thread on 09:04 - Feb 23 by ElephantintheRoom

Dear oh dear. I suspect you are still recovering from the disappointment of last Saturday’s win, but why post this?

Now John Bond - he was a good manager, wasn’t he.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:00 - Feb 23 with 1213 viewsNthQldITFC

Unpopular football opinions thread on 14:42 - Oct 26 by Zx1988

Rooney's 'goal of the century' bicycle-kick is an overhyped lucky shank, and would never have got any real attention but for the player and team in question.

Great goals are always goals which involve multiple good facets of either team or individual play. (Almost) anyone can smash a thirty yard volley into the top corner as a one-off shot that makes commentators cum!

I once buried a twisting, leaping, shoulder-high volley on the run from twenty five yards out straight above the keeper's head at about a hundred miles an hour, and the boy Line-Acre on MOTD would have been creaming about it for weeks, but I was just a pretty unskilful centre-half who happened to have connected perfectly with the ball for once.

Give me a three yard tap in after eight players have ripped the opposition left right and centre any day of the week.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:06 - Feb 23 with 1193 viewsRyorry

No idea whether this is popular or unpopular as I've never seen it discussed anywhere -

Wembley's twin towers should have been made listed buildings & preserved as an integral part of the new Wembley, instead of being knocked down.

Wemburley Way should also have been preserved btw (but have seen that discussed as quite a popular view).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:07 - Feb 23 with 1189 viewsbrazil1982

Maradona's second goal v England in 1986 is terribly overrated. He, and many others, have scored far better goals than that.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:12 - Feb 23 with 1177 viewsMattinLondon

Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:06 - Feb 23 by Ryorry

No idea whether this is popular or unpopular as I've never seen it discussed anywhere -

Wembley's twin towers should have been made listed buildings & preserved as an integral part of the new Wembley, instead of being knocked down.

Wemburley Way should also have been preserved btw (but have seen that discussed as quite a popular view).

They were listed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Towers,_Wembley
Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:15 - Feb 23 with 1175 viewsbrazil1982

Oh, absolutely agree, and not unpopular at all. There was talk of them moving the towers and having them at the top of Wembley Way. Instead they added an unnecessary arch at considerable cost.

I've not been there since our play off.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:17 - Feb 23 with 1171 viewsNthQldITFC

Most referees' parents were legally married at the time of their birth.

(Except Mr Thomas and Miss Jones, perhaps?)

((btw, I am too young to remember the above, but someone keeps going on about it!))

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:23 - Feb 23 with 1167 viewsRyorry

Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:12 - Feb 23 by MattinLondon

They were listed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Towers,_Wembley

Ta, didn't know that. All the more of a shame that English Heritage seem to have buckled in the end, makes you wonder what went on behind the scenes (written with care to avoid potential legal poo for Phil n Gav ...).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:50 - Feb 23 with 1138 viewsDarth_Koont

Glad this thread came up again. I can park this unpopular opinion that I’ve come to after watching that Super League:War For Football series. Strap in ...

If the goal is to promote football in competition with other global sports like basketball or to match the trends for younger generations who are into e-gaming (plus a lot of other non-football stuff) and are following individual players as much if not more than clubs, then the Super League is the way to go.

Yes, I know that’s also about clubs’ greed but generating more money and taking the best clubs and players to the next level just confirms the principle of the idea.

If we’re talking about the damaging effect on national leagues, pyramids, local club support and attendances, even some notion of the spirit of the game and fairness etc. those are still separate to that. Because if you want more people globally watching football and playing it (or even just to maintain the level) then you need a better product with the best players playing against each other more often.

None of which means I have to like it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:15 - Feb 23 with 1077 viewsTractorCam

Unpopular football opinions thread on 09:04 - Feb 23 by ElephantintheRoom

Spoken like a true budgie.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:16 - Feb 23 with 1077 viewsTractorCam

Golden goal in extra time should be re introduced.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:20 - Feb 23 with 1066 viewsChurchman

I’m sure I read that given how they were constructed (badly) and the decrepit state of them, preserving them wasn’t an option. However, if that was the case they should have been replicated and included somewhere within the build or of the approach in my view.

As it goes, Wembley Way is shrouded in buildings, the stadium isn’t a patch on Spurs’ new ground and was built in the wrong place. The trains have improved over the years, but it’s still a pain to get in and away from.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:31 - Feb 23 with 1052 viewsleitrimblue

Paul Gascoigne definitely did not eat all of the pies.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:21 - Feb 23 with 973 viewsJ2BLUE

Unpopular football opinions thread on 20:26 - Feb 22 by J2BLUE

Guardiola is a man baby who constantly talks utter BS

I would like to double down on this. City often do not win after Guardiola has a sulky press conference.

It's like he enjoys not winning after press conferences like this to prove a point. It was very clear early in the second half he needed to change something. He didn't. Alvarez, Foden and Phillips on the bench if he wanted to change things.

Not suggesting he isn't a great coach but sick of his act. Sick of him talking utter rubbish which the media take seriously.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:27 - Feb 23 with 961 viewsBiGDonnie

Unpopular football opinions thread on 20:52 - Feb 22 by FrimleyBlue

The fact you're probably trolling doesn't take away from the fact that you're an illiterate tool.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:52 - Feb 23 with 916 viewsEdmunds5

Cole Skuse was underrated

La la la Sixto Peralta
Poll: Transfer deadline day or Christmas?
Blog: A Representation Of Stability

Unpopular football opinions thread on 13:17 - Feb 23 with 859 viewsMattinLondon

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:16 - Feb 23 by TractorCam

Golden goal in extra time should be re introduced.

Sort of agree. But I’d stick with extra time but if both sides are still drawing then I will continue with an extra ten mins of golden goal in which the next goal wins. After that, then penalties will be the deciding factor.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 13:23 - Feb 23 with 835 viewsblueasfook

Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:07 - Feb 23 by brazil1982

Maradona's second goal v England in 1986 is terribly overrated. He, and many others, have scored far better goals than that.

Twas a good goal but maybe made to look better by the half arsed attempts by England to stop him.

Messi scored a scarily similar goal for Barcelona against Getafe. So similar to Maradona's but just better.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 13:37 - Feb 23 with 811 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:21 - Feb 23 by J2BLUE

I would like to double down on this. City often do not win after Guardiola has a sulky press conference.

It's like he enjoys not winning after press conferences like this to prove a point. It was very clear early in the second half he needed to change something. He didn't. Alvarez, Foden and Phillips on the bench if he wanted to change things.

Not suggesting he isn't a great coach but sick of his act. Sick of him talking utter rubbish which the media take seriously.

On the subject of Man City, despite all his goals Haaland makes them a worse side. Probably not that unpopular in recent weeks mind you

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024