Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unpopular football opinions thread 14:26 - Oct 26 with 16246 viewsSparky85

What is everyone's unpopular football opinion.

Mine is that Rio Ferdinand was not that good of a defender, he was just lucky with who he played alongside (Terry, Vidic)

Expecting down votes galore!
Unpopular football opinions thread on 21:20 - Oct 26 with 2480 viewsITFC_Forever

Unpopular football opinions thread on 14:42 - Oct 26 by Zx1988

Rooney's 'goal of the century' bicycle-kick is an overhyped lucky shank, and would never have got any real attention but for the player and team in question.

Finally someone else who can see it for what it was.

A fluke off the shin.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Unpopular football opinions thread on 22:12 - Oct 26 with 2423 viewsthecheek

Maradona was not a cheat
Unpopular football opinions thread on 22:25 - Oct 26 with 2410 viewsPique

Wayne Rooney was generally a poor player for England who, after one good tournament (Euro 2004), failed to make any impact whatsoever at three World Cups and two further European Championships, and whose goal scoring record for England was amassed by sticking goals past no-mark teams in qualifiers that no-one even remembers.

Steven Gerrard was the most overrated player of his generation, with a poor first touch and an absurd predilection for glory passes to nobody. The pressure to accommodate him and Frank Lampard led indirectly to the ludicrous early international retirement of Paul Scholes, one of the best European midfielders of the last 30 years.

Lionel Messi is a fine player but should never be seen as one of the greats and is not fit to lace Maradona’s boots.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 22:32 - Oct 26 with 2378 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think Peter Crouch is a knob, and I thought the same about Matt LeTissier.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 22:47 - Oct 26 with 2341 viewsChurchman

Jonathan Douglas is the goalscoring midfielder we need

Andy Marshall is the perfect replacement for Richard Wright

That weedy looking bloke Muhren can’t tackle, shoot or head the ball. He’ll do nothing here.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 22:56 - Oct 26 with 2327 viewsLord_Lucan

I think Churchman understands this thread

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Unpopular football opinions thread on 23:48 - Oct 26 with 2308 viewsTresBonne

Unpopular football opinions thread on 14:54 - Oct 26 by homer_123

If you can cast your minds back, at times under Hurst, you could see a little of what we are now.

I actually could see what Hurst was 'trying' to do. That spell of 15 to 20 mins against Blackburn, we looked every inch as good in the press, passing, movement and attacking threat as we do now under KM - there 'was' something there under Hurst, just not enough.

100% this. Say if Hurst never managed us in the Championship and replace his stint with say Warnock (as a random example who got poor results), took us over after Cook left with this squad, Ashton & these owners with the club in a much better place, he'd have succeeded, but not to the extent that I think McK will with us.

Put Lambert into that too.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 00:06 - Oct 27 with 2299 viewsITFCson

I’m very much looking forward to the World Cup.
Login to get fewer ads

Unpopular football opinions thread on 01:04 - Oct 27 with 2270 viewsBondiBlue

Unpopular football opinions thread on 17:03 - Oct 26 by bluelagos

Obviously we've had some sh1te full backs over the years (Harbey / Clegg) but I never really warmed to Jamie Clapham. He could swing a ball in - but his refusal to go in for 50:50 tackles always annoyed me.

Appreciate I am largely on my own with that one.

I'm with you

Poll: Which would you accept?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 01:07 - Oct 27 with 2268 viewsBondiBlue

Luke woolfenden is a far better defender than george edmundson.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 01:54 - Oct 27 with 2254 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Evans was given such an easy time by our fanbase that he became so complacent and knew he wouldn’t get much stick for it.. that it ultimately caused our relegation.

Had our fans been more vocal.. we ultimately would never have been relegated.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 05:04 - Oct 27 with 2222 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Unpopular football opinions thread on 16:01 - Oct 26 by BlueandTruesince82

Had Owen Hargreaves not been ruined by injury the golden generation would have won something

Had Own Hargreaves opted to play for Canada instead of England, England’s progress would not have been affected but Canada would have qualified for at least one more World Cup

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Unpopular football opinions thread on 06:30 - Oct 27 with 2196 viewsDarth_Koont

Unpopular football opinions thread on 17:45 - Oct 26 by judespiveyg

Nah how can you say Spain/Barca were boring. They turned football into an art form (especially Barca with Leo). You cannot play football any more perfectly than they did. Those teams (alongside Ipswich of course) are what made me fall in love with football.

I get the point though. Something about the way they played and the usual dominance meant that the attacks and even whole games blend into one.

Of course, that doesn’t mean they weren’t incredibly impressive, especially when you stepped back and thought about the quality needed to keep playing the ball into feet and out again for 90 minutes almost flawlessly. But it certainly wasn’t breathtaking, exhilarating or even that exciting. Even the goals seemed to come as a surprise amidst the metronomic rhythm of the game.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unpopular football opinions thread on 06:33 - Oct 27 with 2198 viewsMercian

Unpopular football opinions thread on 17:56 - Oct 26 by tractordownsouth

If all 4 right-backs are fit, Trent shouldn't be in the England squad for the World Cup.

In my opinion Trent is a central midfield playmaker, his vision and passing would make him excel there. His defensive capabilities rule him out being a top class full back and his pace rule him out being a top winger. He is only so effective as a full back for Liverpool because Fabhino and/or Milner have the work rates and defensive skills to cover him.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 06:35 - Oct 27 with 2191 viewsDarth_Koont

Selling Rhodes was the right decision. At the time.

It was only a mistake in hindsight because neither Rhodes nor Ipswich reached the promised land of the Prem and so we could have done with each other in the Championship. But that’s all a bit after the fact when the goal was always promotion in those early Evans years.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unpopular football opinions thread on 07:52 - Oct 27 with 2115 viewsRobTheMonk

Aaron Lee Barrett had potential.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 08:15 - Oct 27 with 2081 viewstractorshark

Connor Wickham was nowhere near as good as Town fans thought.
He had talent but he mainly stood out in the early years because of his physicality.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 10:51 - Oct 27 with 2023 viewsbluewein

Unpopular football opinions thread on 15:13 - Oct 26 by IpswichRising

Bryan Robson was an overrated footballer, he just ran around like a headless chicken, couldn't tackle and that was partly why he got injured so much, expecting down votes for this
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 15:15]

I'll see your Robson and raise you David Beckham.

Couldn't head or tackle. Fooled people into believing doing lots of running was on par with skill. Could only ping a pass/cross when under no pressure at all. Slowed down any momentum at corners/free kicks from the left by walking over making sure the photographers could get their snaps of him before failing to beat the first man 99 times out of 100. Went to the World Cup injured in 2002 purely to promote his brand and bottled tackles so he wouldn't get hurt, especially in the buildup to Brazil's equaliser. Did very little after that Greece game for England apart from a penalty against Argentina.

Easily the most overrated of the Golden Generation...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:48 - Oct 27 with 1972 viewsFBI

Newcastle United are, and always have been, a pathetic bunch of no-marks with sh!t-all to crow (ahaha) about. They've won nothing of note in the last 50 years or so, achieved little else besides during that time and somehow think they're a big club because they're geographically isolated from most of the country so their fans have no alternative clubs to support - and their close neighbours hate them.

Darn, just re-read it through a blue filter...

But I'm still right. Oh yeah, and their new owners.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:55 - Oct 27 with 1942 viewsDeano69

I am totally with you on Ferdinand, but somehow seems to have become this legend he was amazing. One good world cup, I would agree with that, but little else for me.

Heard Ian Atkins say that Gary Lineker was a terrible footballer, but a fantastic goal scorer. Thats a really good take on him

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:59 - Oct 27 with 1936 viewsBluefields

Unpopular football opinions thread on 11:55 - Oct 27 by Deano69

I am totally with you on Ferdinand, but somehow seems to have become this legend he was amazing. One good world cup, I would agree with that, but little else for me.

Heard Ian Atkins say that Gary Lineker was a terrible footballer, but a fantastic goal scorer. Thats a really good take on him

Still think Lineker was Englands best striker of the last 50 years.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:00 - Oct 27 with 1930 viewsBluefields

Unpopular football opinions thread on 15:13 - Oct 26 by IpswichRising

Bryan Robson was an overrated footballer, he just ran around like a headless chicken, couldn't tackle and that was partly why he got injured so much, expecting down votes for this
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 15:15]

He was an incredible player, best English midfielder of the last 40 years
Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:02 - Oct 27 with 1926 viewsthebooks

VAR is rubbish and should never been implemented. Referee mistakes are a part of football's theatre and I couldn't care less if a mistake costs a team relegation or millions in revenue.

Also: Ipswich fans moan about referees way too much.
Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:03 - Oct 27 with 1922 viewsHipsterectomy

paul lambert deserved longer than a 5 year deal

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:21 - Oct 27 with 1883 viewsRobTheMonk

Unpopular football opinions thread on 12:03 - Oct 27 by Hipsterectomy

paul lambert deserved longer than a 5 year deal

Hahahahahahahahahahaha
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024