Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... 10:42 - Oct 11 with 2884 viewsitfcjoe

Did a Twitter Poll which got over 2k votes surprisingly, but 58% of people prefer Tractor Boys, 31% prefer Town and just 10% like the Super Blues

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 10:49 - Oct 11 with 1820 viewshomer_123

58% are wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 10:51 - Oct 11 with 1812 viewsclive_baker

Landslide victory.

Can't say I'm surprised. Super Blues ffs, there's got to be at least 10 blues better than us as it stands.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 10:56 - Oct 11 with 1779 viewsITFC_Forever

Super Blues or Town.

Tractor Boys is hideous. Still inwardly recoil when people say it to me when I'm chatting to them.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:03 - Oct 11 with 1741 viewsHighgateBlue

People will often vote for the most recent version of something, especially if you do the poll on twitter.

I'm relatively happy with all of those names, frankly. We've been called Super Blues for decades. Certainly for longer than the majority of the population has been alive. To sideline a name purely because we're not as good as we'd like to be seems bizarre.

Let's not criticise legitimate and longstanding nicknames too much, or else we might end up supporting the Suffolk Phoenix or the Coastal Gamechangers.
Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:04 - Oct 11 with 1743 viewsSitfcB

We’re the Tractor Boys ‘gonna make some noise ole ole…

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:05 - Oct 11 with 1735 viewsSitfcB

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 10:49 - Oct 11 by homer_123

58% are wrong.

I think it’s an age thing. Anyone old doesn’t seem to like Tractor Boys.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:05 - Oct 11 with 1728 viewsPrrrromotionGiven

It makes sense. "Super blues" is very generic, and come on, "Town"? Seriously? That's not even a nickname.

Tractor Boys is something actually different and "regional", it's much better as a nickname.
Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:09 - Oct 11 with 1707 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:05 - Oct 11 by SitfcB

I think people forget where it came from. It’s self deprecating humour at its best. And that why so many (me included) like it. Those days in the PL rubbing it in to away fans were brilliant. Long live the tractor boys.
Login to get fewer ads

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:10 - Oct 11 with 1696 viewshomer_123

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:05 - Oct 11 by SitfcB

Ageist!
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 11:11]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:11 - Oct 11 with 1686 viewsITFC_Forever

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:04 - Oct 11 by SitfcB

We’re the Tractor Boys ‘gonna make some noise ole ole…

Cringe.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:34 - Oct 11 with 1603 viewsParsley

The club seem to be pushing Super Blues through the commentary. Would be interesting to see if the results change in the next year or two to know if it's starting to stick.
The way I look at it.... on 11:36 - Oct 11 with 1591 viewsBloots

....is if you are standing on the terrace and you want to get you opinion across to the team:

"Come on _______, you fu**ing useless pile of crap!!!"

You'd never say "Tractor Boys" or "Super Blues", it's always "Town".

World's gone mad.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:40 - Oct 11 with 1549 viewshype313

That's down to the demographics of the fanbase, I'd argue most over 35 would prefer the Blues or Super Blues and hate the Tractor boys moniker, but U35's were brought up on the Tractor Boys.

It's a generational thing.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:46 - Oct 11 with 1515 viewsDJR

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:40 - Oct 11 by hype313

That's down to the demographics of the fanbase, I'd argue most over 35 would prefer the Blues or Super Blues and hate the Tractor boys moniker, but U35's were brought up on the Tractor Boys.

It's a generational thing.

I've been watching Ipswich since 1969 and prefer Tractor Boys or Town to Blues or Super Blues.
Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:47 - Oct 11 with 1508 viewshype313

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:46 - Oct 11 by DJR

I've been watching Ipswich since 1969 and prefer Tractor Boys or Town to Blues or Super Blues.

One mans cat p1ss is another's champagne.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:48 - Oct 11 with 1505 viewsDJR

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:47 - Oct 11 by hype313

One mans cat p1ss is another's champagne.

Too true.
Innit on 12:03 - Oct 11 with 1463 viewsDyland

The way I look at it.... on 11:36 - Oct 11 by Bloots

....is if you are standing on the terrace and you want to get you opinion across to the team:

"Come on _______, you fu**ing useless pile of crap!!!"

You'd never say "Tractor Boys" or "Super Blues", it's always "Town".

World's gone mad.

Or dare I say it... 'Ipswich'.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:08 - Oct 11 with 1425 viewsmonty_radio

Next time you're walking home through the streets and someone asks : How did the ..........get on?,I'll pay out if the blank is filled with anything other than "Town".

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:11 - Oct 11 with 1412 viewsclive_baker

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:08 - Oct 11 by monty_radio

Next time you're walking home through the streets and someone asks : How did the ..........get on?,I'll pay out if the blank is filled with anything other than "Town".

What would you say is more commonplace, 'the Town' or just 'Town'?

I hear them both, I'm more of a straight 'Town' fan myself. You wouldn't say 'the Toon' for Newcastle would you. Just Toon innit.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:13 - Oct 11 with 1397 viewsWeWereZombies

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 11:05 - Oct 11 by PrrrromotionGiven

It makes sense. "Super blues" is very generic, and come on, "Town"? Seriously? That's not even a nickname.

Tractor Boys is something actually different and "regional", it's much better as a nickname.

'Regional' as in East Anglia is the only place in the entire World where there are tractors ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:16 - Oct 11 with 1380 viewsSharkey

Begs the question what's really a nickname, and what a brand name.

I mean does anyone walk into a pub and say 'I've lost my phone, can anyone tell me how the Super Blues got on?' . (Just like would any Man U. fan ask hoe the Red Devils got on?) They might well ask how 'Town' got on. Also, Ipswich is a kind of in-between club in terms of its status. Colchester have a nickname that is actually the official name (on t-shirts etc) but is actually used in everyday speech (usually ins sentences like 'I haven't been to see the U's since they left Layer Road', or 'the U's are even worse than last year'. ). But fans also often refer to the 'Mighty' U's'. At this point, everyone understands there is affectionate irony at play here. But for Ipswich, which has been a great club, this type of irony doesn't sit well. So Super Blues sounds more like branding than a nickname. Personally, in my neck of south Suffolk, people say 'Town' when they're discussing the club on the bus or wherever.
Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:24 - Oct 11 with 1332 viewsJ2BLUE

In order of preference:

Town
Super Blues
Tractor Boys

To be honest though I like all three. I don't see why people dislike Tractor Boys. We are Suffolk. Just own it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:24 - Oct 11 with 1329 viewsbungaytractor

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:13 - Oct 11 by WeWereZombies

'Regional' as in East Anglia is the only place in the entire World where there are tractors ?

Maybe need to be specific and say 'ransomes tractor boys' from now on
Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:27 - Oct 11 with 1313 viewsWeWereZombies

Tractor Boys still the most popular nickname.... on 12:24 - Oct 11 by bungaytractor

Maybe need to be specific and say 'ransomes tractor boys' from now on

well that would be preferable to rapier tractor boys

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Innit on 12:36 - Oct 11 with 1256 viewsDJR

Innit on 12:03 - Oct 11 by Dyland

Or dare I say it... 'Ipswich'.

Yes, I always use "Ipswich" when at a game or referring to the team when elsewhere. It also appears in songs like "You are my Ipswich ..."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024