Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2019 V 2022 13:23 - Oct 5 with 1442 viewsBecclesITFC

2019:
P12 W8 D3 L1 GF21 GA7 PTS27

P12 W8 D3 L1 GF25 GA10 PTS27

But 2022 feels very much different, in a good way!

[Post edited 5 Oct 2022 13:30]
2019 V 2022 on 13:26 - Oct 5 with 1359 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well we've won games this season that you felt we deserved. Imo we somehow won games in that season.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

2019 V 2022 on 13:28 - Oct 5 with 1354 viewswellsy700

We’ve scored 25 goals this season, not 35

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

2019 V 2022 on 13:29 - Oct 5 with 1346 viewsBecclesITFC

2019 V 2022 on 13:26 - Oct 5 by FrimleyBlue

Well we've won games this season that you felt we deserved. Imo we somehow won games in that season.

Exactly, painting over cracks in 2019.

I've always said, not only are we starved of success, but we are also starved of entertainment. Watching us now is a joy in comparison to then.
2019 V 2022 on 13:30 - Oct 5 with 1336 viewsBecclesITFC

2019 V 2022 on 13:28 - Oct 5 by wellsy700

We’ve scored 25 goals this season, not 35

Ta muchly! Updated!
2019 V 2022 on 13:31 - Oct 5 with 1324 viewsElderGrizzly

Indeed. It felt like we won despite Lambert rather than because of him
2019 V 2022 on 13:36 - Oct 5 with 1306 viewsBlueBadger

2019 V 2022 on 13:31 - Oct 5 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. It felt like we won despite Lambert rather than because of him

We basically fell apart that season the second we played someone who wasn't scared of us and didn't really recover until McKenna took over.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

2019 V 2022 on 13:42 - Oct 5 with 1265 viewsFrimleyBlue

2019 V 2022 on 13:36 - Oct 5 by BlueBadger

We basically fell apart that season the second we played someone who wasn't scared of us and didn't really recover until McKenna took over.

Didn't we postpone a couple if games due to international call ups and it ruined our momentum? Or am I thinking a different season.

Waka waka eh eh

2019 V 2022 on 13:46 - Oct 5 with 1257 viewsBecclesITFC

2019 V 2022 on 13:42 - Oct 5 by FrimleyBlue

Didn't we postpone a couple if games due to international call ups and it ruined our momentum? Or am I thinking a different season.

you're correct! It was that season. happened three times I think.
Login to get fewer ads

2019 V 2022 on 13:47 - Oct 5 with 1247 viewsclive_baker

2019 V 2022 on 13:26 - Oct 5 by FrimleyBlue

I think there's a bit of rewriting history, we rode our luck at times but I thought we deserved most of those results in 2019 to be fair. If anything it could have been 9 wins, we battered Sunderland but Chambers' howler cost us 2 points. There were some scrappy ones but when you saw us in that Sunderland game you wonder how it went so wrong from there.

We had a thin squad which didn't help, heaps of injuries and the fitness and conditioning side of things was a disaster. I'm not defending Lambert, and of course KM is a far superior manager which goes without saying, but we're also properly funded now, far more professional off the pitch, with excellent squad depth.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

2019 V 2022 on 13:52 - Oct 5 with 1220 viewsitfcjoe

2019 V 2022 on 13:47 - Oct 5 by clive_baker

I think there's a bit of rewriting history, we rode our luck at times but I thought we deserved most of those results in 2019 to be fair. If anything it could have been 9 wins, we battered Sunderland but Chambers' howler cost us 2 points. There were some scrappy ones but when you saw us in that Sunderland game you wonder how it went so wrong from there.

We had a thin squad which didn't help, heaps of injuries and the fitness and conditioning side of things was a disaster. I'm not defending Lambert, and of course KM is a far superior manager which goes without saying, but we're also properly funded now, far more professional off the pitch, with excellent squad depth.

We stopped doing what was obvious and tried to be too clever.

Jackson and Norwood up top running the channels, Downes and Skuse stopping the opposition breaking and wingers pushing on high.

Direct, and organised and overpowering teams with physicality and quality

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

2019 V 2022 on 13:53 - Oct 5 with 1214 viewsSteve_M

Yep, that's my take on that couple of months too. A few games like Tranmere where we had to work hard at 1-1 to score again but then scored three in quick succession were as enjoyable as they were deserved.

It was overthinking the rotation in November and December that saw us go two months without a win that cost us. Even then we still recovered in January before a total collapse as the season fell away.

This season is a lot better, much more strength in depth and tactical variation but there's no need for some to be so revisionist about the start of 2019-20.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

2019 V 2022 on 13:55 - Oct 5 with 1199 viewsOsborneOneNil

Have to say though, there were some ugly, and vey fortunate wins, in that lot.

Now, I feel we can beat anyone. Didn't then.
2019 V 2022 on 13:56 - Oct 5 with 1181 viewsFrimleyBlue

2019 V 2022 on 13:53 - Oct 5 by Steve_M

Yep, that's my take on that couple of months too. A few games like Tranmere where we had to work hard at 1-1 to score again but then scored three in quick succession were as enjoyable as they were deserved.

It was overthinking the rotation in November and December that saw us go two months without a win that cost us. Even then we still recovered in January before a total collapse as the season fell away.

This season is a lot better, much more strength in depth and tactical variation but there's no need for some to be so revisionist about the start of 2019-20.

Each to their own. But in general I don't feel we were as comfortable in games let alone those we won as we do now and know many didn't see us as potential promotions winners even at December as something just didn't feel right.

Waka waka eh eh

2019 V 2022 on 13:59 - Oct 5 with 1172 viewsclive_baker

Yes and you could argue that Burton away this season wasn't dissimilar to a couple of those games, we dug in, got some luck and found a bit of quality to win the game. That's life at this level, you won't walk over every side and need to mix it up. I think it would be interesting to rewatch that Sunderland game now, I remember coming away shaking my head at how we hadn't done them 3-0.

No doubt at all that we're a far better side this season and the sort of collapse we witnessed then just wont happen, we've got far more about us on and off the pitch, but the suggestion that we had got overly lucky to be top this time 3 years ago isn't entirely true IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

2019 V 2022 on 16:20 - Oct 5 with 1003 viewsKropotkin123

Less impressive when you consider we scrapped a lot of 1-0 wins because teams gave us more respect than they should have, which was offset by beating the Bolton U16s 5-0.

After Accrington turned up and showed the division we weren't that good, we won a further 6 games all season

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

2019 V 2022 on 16:25 - Oct 5 with 985 viewsbluefunk

I remember coming away from both Peterborough and MK Dons thinking we’d really got away with it in both games, and Southend would have been so different had their wrongly disallowed goal been given
2019 V 2022 on 16:57 - Oct 5 with 906 viewsjayessess

2019 V 2022 on 16:20 - Oct 5 by Kropotkin123

Less impressive when you consider we scrapped a lot of 1-0 wins because teams gave us more respect than they should have, which was offset by beating the Bolton U16s 5-0.

After Accrington turned up and showed the division we weren't that good, we won a further 6 games all season

It was 5 single-goal wins vs. 3 this year.

Another thing that might rationalise the feeling that 2019 and 2022 are different is the possession and shot count in those games.

Thus far this season no-one has managed to have more shots than us in any game and only at Sheffield Wednesday did we give them the majority of possession. In the majority of our games we've had more than double the opposition's shots and more than 60% possession.

In 2019, we were out-shot by opponents on 4 occasions and managed to double their shots just 3 times (one was Bolton), conceded the majority of possession 4 times and only had 60% possession twice (one of which was the away loss at Accrington).

We were statistically nowhere near as dominant in those twelve games in 2019 as we have been this season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024