Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Republican arrested in Oxford 15:56 - Sep 11 with 6252 viewsMullet

What do we reckon was going on in Oxford then?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Republican arrested in Oxford on 16:08 - Sep 11 with 4161 viewsjeera

Well it wasn't football.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Republican arrested in Oxford on 16:08 - Sep 11 with 4162 viewsCheltenham_Blue

A proclamation. He literally says it in the tweet.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Republican arrested in Oxford on 16:11 - Sep 11 with 4156 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Republican arrested in Oxford on 16:11 - Sep 11 with 4136 viewsWD19

Attention seeking?
Republican arrested in Oxford on 16:25 - Sep 11 with 4077 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I don't think his 'protest' went especially well for him.

"Indistinct"

Republican arrested in Oxford on 16:45 - Sep 11 with 3960 viewsChurchman

There’s a summary in the Metro attached

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/11/woman-arrested-after-holding-abolish-monarchy-sig

Where does the right to free speech cross over into imposing a view upon others who at a moment in time don’t want to hear them?
Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:31 - Sep 11 with 3803 viewsMullet

Republican arrested in Oxford on 16:45 - Sep 11 by Churchman

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/11/woman-arrested-after-holding-abolish-monarchy-sig

Where does the right to free speech cross over into imposing a view upon others who at a moment in time don’t want to hear them?

Interesting isn't it? I'm not sure these protests do anything but play into the monarchist perception and argument, especially as lone voices. Most of the population were probably ambivalent at best until the media onslaught etc. Going against that like this now doesn't work.

To silence them though and link it to new laws is worrying though. Sensible policing would surely be to lead them away under the pretence of their own safety then move them home. Arrests seem too far for no real gain.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:33 - Sep 11 with 3803 viewsbluelagos

"Where does the right to free speech cross over into imposing a view upon others who at a moment in time don’t want to hear them?"

Don't know where, but I do know when. 6.30pm on Thursday. The state broadcaster has become the voice piece of the Royal family (wasn't it ever) and it has shifted from remembering the passing of the Queen into full on propagandists for the Monarchists as they seek to ensure the assension of Charles with barely a whimper of dissent and or debate as to whether a Monarchy is appropriate in the current age.

Not my King.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:36 - Sep 11 with 3760 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is this Patel's bill against peaceful protest being put into action?

I am not opposed to the monarchy especially, but these are worrying times.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:43 - Sep 11 with 3722 viewsfactual_blue

It'll have been the proclamation announcing Charles as king to the citizenry of Oxford.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:46 - Sep 11 with 3711 viewsMullet

Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:33 - Sep 11 by bluelagos

"Where does the right to free speech cross over into imposing a view upon others who at a moment in time don’t want to hear them?"

Don't know where, but I do know when. 6.30pm on Thursday. The state broadcaster has become the voice piece of the Royal family (wasn't it ever) and it has shifted from remembering the passing of the Queen into full on propagandists for the Monarchists as they seek to ensure the assension of Charles with barely a whimper of dissent and or debate as to whether a Monarchy is appropriate in the current age.

Not my King.

It was always going to be the way, in 6 months time the right-wing will be calling it woke etc all over again.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:57 - Sep 11 with 3633 viewscbower

Republican arrested in Oxford on 17:31 - Sep 11 by Mullet

Interesting isn't it? I'm not sure these protests do anything but play into the monarchist perception and argument, especially as lone voices. Most of the population were probably ambivalent at best until the media onslaught etc. Going against that like this now doesn't work.

To silence them though and link it to new laws is worrying though. Sensible policing would surely be to lead them away under the pretence of their own safety then move them home. Arrests seem too far for no real gain.

"Most of the population were ambivalent at best until the media onslaught"

Yep, that's exactly what it has been, an onslaught, especially the BBC. Since mid afternoon on Thursday right through to 8pm tonight, BBC 1 has covered nothing else (with the exception of snippets of 'other' news). 5 Live has been embarrassing and I really don't want to hear another 4 year old child saying how much The Queen has done for the country.

Now is clearly not the time to shout anti monarchy paroles whilst a family and close friends will be in genuine grief. However, the competitive media fuelled grieving of the masses is strange to me. If we never had a monarch and someone suggested we should install a family and grant them the wealth and privilege in perpetuity at the tax payer's expense, the masses would revolt as it is clearly the antithesis of democracy. The American obsession with the Royals is also, quite frankly, bizarre.

bluescouser

Republican arrested in Oxford on 18:29 - Sep 11 with 3522 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What so a bit like opposing the war in Putin's Russia ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 18:35 - Sep 11 with 3496 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not my King.

Indeed....time to get off our knees.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 19:33 - Sep 11 with 3343 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Not my King.

Why don't you write to your MP?

Republican arrested in Oxford on 20:29 - Sep 11 with 3200 viewsChurchman

Republican arrested in Oxford on 18:29 - Sep 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

What so a bit like opposing the war in Putin's Russia ?

I asked a question. I don’t have the answers.

However, if for example a few people wish to shout and protest while wreaths are being laid on Remembrance Sunday against the wishes of 10,000 veterans and another 5,000 people on parade and millions on tv, is that ok? I’d apply that question to anybody about anything that’s important to them that a minority might object to.

If it is, that means the agenda is controlled by the minority. Is there not a time for debate, a time for protest and a time to leave the majority to it if you disagree?

Personally I’ve no time for the grovellers and toadies that’ll be on tv until next Monday. I’ve watched some of the constitutional stuff and some of the ceremonial as it’s history in the making - but the off switch does the rest. Or I disappear and the misses carries on watching, which is the usual outcome. If there is a vote on retaining the monarchy in England after the U.K. breaks up, I’ll vote one way or the other then.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2022 20:30]
Republican arrested in Oxford on 20:40 - Sep 11 with 3145 viewsZx1988

The arrests today have been depressingly predictable.

No doubt those in elevated positions are currently, to use the technical term, bricking it as to the public acceptance of Charles as king.

Given that equally-controversial minority views such as those of the EDL and other such groups tend to be tolerated and allowed to protest, I can't see the legitimacy in being arrested for questioning the relevancy of the monarchy.

I think that the current social circumstances are such that a small rump of anti-monarchy sentiment could snowball into something much bigger, if allowed to. Which may explain why dissent seems to be being stamped down upon.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Republican arrested in Oxford on 20:41 - Sep 11 with 3136 viewsMullet

Republican arrested in Oxford on 20:29 - Sep 11 by Churchman

However, if for example a few people wish to shout and protest while wreaths are being laid on Remembrance Sunday against the wishes of 10,000 veterans and another 5,000 people on parade and millions on tv, is that ok? I’d apply that question to anybody about anything that’s important to them that a minority might object to.

If it is, that means the agenda is controlled by the minority. Is there not a time for debate, a time for protest and a time to leave the majority to it if you disagree?

Personally I’ve no time for the grovellers and toadies that’ll be on tv until next Monday. I’ve watched some of the constitutional stuff and some of the ceremonial as it’s history in the making - but the off switch does the rest. Or I disappear and the misses carries on watching, which is the usual outcome. If there is a vote on retaining the monarchy in England after the U.K. breaks up, I’ll vote one way or the other then.

Baddiel's take is thus

Not sure it does apply to Remembrance Sunday, but then again would calls for pacifism on that day not be impactful? Hard to equate it with this agenda setting.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 20:45 - Sep 11 with 3110 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Republican arrested in Oxford on 20:29 - Sep 11 by Churchman

I would say that the agenda is always controlled by the establishment regardless of the majority/minority view. In a functioning democracy voices of dissent should be permissable at any time.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:16 - Sep 11 with 3014 viewsSwansea_Blue

I wonder if she’s fallen foul of the new laws around protest? It’s shameful that we live in a society where you can’t hold a sign up, even if it has got ‘fcuk’ written on it. The guy in the OP doesn’t exactly seem like an anarchist either. Poor show. Very North Korean-esque.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:19 - Sep 11 with 2975 viewsjeera

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:16 - Sep 11 by Swansea_Blue

I wonder if she’s fallen foul of the new laws around protest? It’s shameful that we live in a society where you can’t hold a sign up, even if it has got ‘fcuk’ written on it. The guy in the OP doesn’t exactly seem like an anarchist either. Poor show. Very North Korean-esque.

Not sure about the Imperialism.

Is there still Imperialism? By definition that would suggest the country is looking to expand its borders by force wouldn't it, and I'm pretty sure the day's of colonialism are over.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:35 - Sep 11 with 2928 viewsSwansea_Blue

Republican arrested in Oxford on 20:45 - Sep 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

I would say that the agenda is always controlled by the establishment regardless of the majority/minority view. In a functioning democracy voices of dissent should be permissable at any time.

100%. If you start putting conditions on when and where people can peacefully voice dissent, you’re not in a functioning democracy. Same with the peaceful climate crisis protest - ‘not now, not like this, not there’ arguments are against everything a healthy democracy should stand for.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:39 - Sep 11 with 2916 viewsSwansea_Blue

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:19 - Sep 11 by jeera

Not sure about the Imperialism.

Is there still Imperialism? By definition that would suggest the country is looking to expand its borders by force wouldn't it, and I'm pretty sure the day's of colonialism are over.

It could be a nod to our imperialist past that we’ve never really come to terms with? There’s been plenty of focus on that lately and I imagine many against the concept of a monarchy would also hold those views. Only guessing though.

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:47 - Sep 11 with 2869 viewsjeera

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:39 - Sep 11 by Swansea_Blue

It could be a nod to our imperialist past that we’ve never really come to terms with? There’s been plenty of focus on that lately and I imagine many against the concept of a monarchy would also hold those views. Only guessing though.

I pretty much share those views, as do you and many others.

But there must be more contemporary things to protest about where people could actually make a difference.

It was a Scottish king who brought the two countries together as a royal house to be fair.

And then a Queen daughter of a Scottish born king who formalised the union a century later.

There have been numerous Scots in UK parliament including PMs. I don't entirely grasp the concept that Scotland has altogether been under-represented and oppressed by England.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2022 21:51]

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:51 - Sep 11 with 2854 viewsStNeotsBlue

Republican arrested in Oxford on 21:35 - Sep 11 by Swansea_Blue

100%. If you start putting conditions on when and where people can peacefully voice dissent, you’re not in a functioning democracy. Same with the peaceful climate crisis protest - ‘not now, not like this, not there’ arguments are against everything a healthy democracy should stand for.

I agree to a point but to go to the procession where there are 1000's of people paying their repescts with an agreesively worded sign, seems at best disrespectful of others and at worst deliberately and unnecessarily provocative.

Hopefully she just got nicked and removed from the area and then dearrested on the proviso she b@ggered off.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024