Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most disappointing ITFC signings? 20:05 - Aug 24 with 7645 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It has been suggested to me that judging Harper as once such example is heavy but I maintain what we got vs what we thought we were getting makes it an entirely justified statement

I would include on my list

Lee Martin
Paul Taylor
Nigel Reo Coker
Sam Parkin
Adrian Paz

Any other contenders for Towns most disappointing (not worst) signing?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 20:06]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 05:47 - Aug 25 with 1098 viewshoppy

I’ll add David Healy to the list.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 06:12 - Aug 25 with 1089 viewsElephantintheRoom

George Burley could surely fill a book with these. I give you the million dollar man Amir Karic and the man with a tag Gary Croft - but there are dozens more to choose from.

For me the most disappointing was possibly Steve Stacey

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 07:17 - Aug 25 with 1041 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 06:12 - Aug 25 by ElephantintheRoom

George Burley could surely fill a book with these. I give you the million dollar man Amir Karic and the man with a tag Gary Croft - but there are dozens more to choose from.

For me the most disappointing was possibly Steve Stacey

I think you’ll find that even John Bond, Daniel Farke and Alex Neil signed a few poor players in their time so why you’re picking on Burley I’ve no idea..

GB signed a few wrong uns, particularly at the end of his time. All managers do. He also made some excellent signings including Magilton, Venus, Marshall, Mathie, Stewart, Johnson, Reuser, Mowbray, Wilnis, Holland, Hreidarsson, Wright to name a few.

Gary Croft was by no means the worst to play for ITFC,
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:15 - Aug 25 with 1011 viewsLord_Lucan

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 20:33 - Aug 24 by monty_radio

Jaime Peters - given the way the signing was both so trumpeted and so dragged out.

Sereni - in view of the return on such a large investment and how good he could have been.

Finidi - in that he wasn't the man to turn the ship around.

And several one-season strikers whose one season wasn't with us.

I will never understand why Sereni and Finidi come up in any bad player conversations.

Bonkers

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:39 - Aug 25 with 977 viewsBlueBadger

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 22:31 - Aug 24 by Churchman

For me, much the same as others.

1. Lee Martin - awful
2. Sam Parkin - banged them in for Swindon. 20 mins into his home debut it was clear his limit was L1
3. Stuart Slater - promised so much at WHU, was hopeless by the time he came to us.
4. Paul Taylor - Peterborough gales of laughter must still be echoing around their board room after mugging us off with that. They robbed us blind.
5. Jonathan Douglas - billed as the goalscoring midfielder we needed. What we got was somebody ambling about the pitch looking like he was keeping his knees together because he hadn’t been for a couple of days. One of the worst players it’s been my misfortune to witness in a Town shirt and in the past 21 years there’s been some pretty stiff opposition.

I was not disappointed by Chopra. Everyone knew what he was before he came. That we were dumb enough to entertain more of the same was our problem. It was never going to end well.

Old ones - Harbey was utterly hopeless, but nobody knew anything about him anyway so no disappointment there.

Robson’s only turkey was Kevin O’Callaghan. Bought from Millwall, he came with a good billing for I think £200k, but for the top flight he never made the grade, sadly. Did well 8n Escape to Victory though!

Not a go at you as such, but I'm puzzled why anyone ever thought Martin was going to do well, given that prior to us somehow contriving to spend actual money on him, his record had been deeply unimpressive.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:04 - Aug 25 with 955 viewsBlueBlood90

Pim Balkestein

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:05 - Aug 25 with 954 viewsSteve_M

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 20:28 - Aug 24 by Dubtractor

I always bundle Le Pen in the same category as Amir Karic - a player that Palace had on loan from us, but sent back after just one or two games. I think I remember that right anyway!

Otherwise:

Slater
Harper
Hladky
Paz
Parkin
Norris (considering the chase and cost)
Martin

Slater and Norris are top of this list. Lee Martin not far behind.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:10 - Aug 25 with 939 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:39 - Aug 25 by BlueBadger

Not a go at you as such, but I'm puzzled why anyone ever thought Martin was going to do well, given that prior to us somehow contriving to spend actual money on him, his record had been deeply unimpressive.

The reason is that I never bothered to look at his record. Doh!! I assumed as a United player, the fee were paying with Keane’s knowledge as an ex MU player he would be a cut above.

Wrong on all counts. He was a waste of space.
Login to get fewer ads

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:11 - Aug 25 with 935 viewsWakh

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 20:12 - Aug 24 by gtsb1966

Marco Holster

He had not achieved a lot before he came, so never saw him as disappointing, just cra.....not very good.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:20 - Aug 25 with 927 viewsLord_Lucan

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:11 - Aug 25 by Wakh

He had not achieved a lot before he came, so never saw him as disappointing, just cra.....not very good.

Yeah but he was Dutch so in my unbalanced mind I expected a Muhren or Thijssen - I would even have been happy with a Romeo Zondervan

I took a young RKD to his debut at Southend away in a pre season friendly.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:32 - Aug 25 with 920 viewsBlueBadger

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:10 - Aug 25 by Churchman

The reason is that I never bothered to look at his record. Doh!! I assumed as a United player, the fee were paying with Keane’s knowledge as an ex MU player he would be a cut above.

Re: 'as United player..' I have but two words:

Michael. Clegg.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:41 - Aug 25 with 905 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:32 - Aug 25 by BlueBadger

Re: 'as United player..' I have but two words:

Michael. Clegg.

For rubbish United players, though not for us, I raise you Luke Chadwick.

Ugly, annoying bloke, smug as heck when he scored for the lot up the road. Didn’t look so smug when Bates cleaned him out out and crippled him. Ok, I know you shouldn’t, but oh how I laughed.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:45 - Aug 25 with 891 viewssolemio

David Lowe and I disagree with all the people bad-mouthing Harbey. He was clearly not a great player, but he was far from being anywhere near the worst. He understood Lowe's runs very well and started many good Ipswich attacks.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:07 - Aug 25 with 837 viewsGeoffSentence

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:45 - Aug 25 by solemio

David Lowe and I disagree with all the people bad-mouthing Harbey. He was clearly not a great player, but he was far from being anywhere near the worst. He understood Lowe's runs very well and started many good Ipswich attacks.

On the odd occasion he didn't shank it into the stands.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:10 - Aug 25 with 835 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:07 - Aug 25 by GeoffSentence

On the odd occasion he didn't shank it into the stands.

Or miss it altogether

Or get robbed by an opponent

Or give it to an opponent

Or panic and miscue a hospital pass to a team mate
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:20 - Aug 25 with 797 viewssolemio

Silly boys.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:32 - Aug 25 with 789 viewsclive_baker

Agree with most of the ones said, although some are just obscure cheap punts where the success rate was probably always fairly low.

The expensive flops have to be the most notable. Although Norris was expensive, I thought he was good. His last season here in particular was decent, we were idiots to let him leave on a free.

Harper at £500k has to be up there. I would say Hladky too to be honest, given he was so highly thought of in L2.

Emyr Huws given we paid £1m for him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:39 - Aug 25 with 783 viewsblueasfook

Mark Fish - granted only a loan signing but complete disaster - so bad he decided to retire after one appearance for us. Prompting the classic TWTD headline "Fish has had his chips"

Fish Has Had His Chips 16th Aug 2005 20:38
On-loan defender Mark Fish has decided to retire from football in the wake of his disastrous 45-minute Town debut at QPR a week ago. The former South African international, 31, says a knee injury is preventing him from playing at his best. 0

[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 10:40]

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:48 - Aug 25 with 755 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:39 - Aug 25 by blueasfook

Mark Fish - granted only a loan signing but complete disaster - so bad he decided to retire after one appearance for us. Prompting the classic TWTD headline "Fish has had his chips"

On-loan defender Mark Fish has decided to retire from football in the wake of his disastrous 45-minute Town debut at QPR a week ago. The former South African international, 31, says a knee injury is preventing him from playing at his best. 0

Did he turn out enough to qualify though?

Lee Chapman made 22 appearances. That for me would qualify. Mind you, whether it was him, a manakin or a dead body dressed as the inert Chapman, we’ll never know.

What I do know is he was absolute cr&p. Too old, just stealing a living while he still could. Did he ever make it out of the centre circle?
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:50 - Aug 25 with 750 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 04:20 - Aug 25 by BondiBlue

Finidi's cross for armstrong's winner at spurs. Scenes, limbs etc etc.

Nice one.

Finidi's goals against Derby, at Moscow, his ovehead kick at White Hart Lane, goal at Villa Park from long range, outstanding performance and goal against Sunderland during 5-0 win.

He was of the best players of that sorry team yet some people make him a scapegoat. Most of the team was just a bunch of primadonnas.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 10:51]
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:50 - Aug 25 with 751 viewsFunge

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:39 - Aug 25 by blueasfook

Morning Blueas.

See, I put Fish in the same category as Bajner and Toure - just crap, and didn't play enough games to be considered disappointing.

Lee Martin, for example, is one of the most disappointing human beings to ever be born.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:16 - Aug 25 with 720 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:50 - Aug 25 by Funge

Morning Blueas.

See, I put Fish in the same category as Bajner and Toure - just crap, and didn't play enough games to be considered disappointing.

Lee Martin, for example, is one of the most disappointing human beings to ever be born.

You can add Giles Coke to the sorry list of Bajner and Toure.

Described as ‘a proper bloke is Cokey’

He was proper awful too. Passing, shooting, heading, tackling, running, positional sense - all way beyond him. But like those you mention, never played enough to make the list.

Now back to Lee Martin……..
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:32 - Aug 25 with 699 viewsFunge

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:16 - Aug 25 by Churchman

You can add Giles Coke to the sorry list of Bajner and Toure.

Described as ‘a proper bloke is Cokey’

He was proper awful too. Passing, shooting, heading, tackling, running, positional sense - all way beyond him. But like those you mention, never played enough to make the list.

Now back to Lee Martin……..

Agreed - Coke, for me, was always a stop-gap; a cheap signing (like so many of the late Evans era), one that MM thought might work, and, as you state above, clearly didn't. Falls into the 'simply crap' pile, as opposed to disappointing.

Scott Fraser was really disappointing - came here as Player of the Year from the Dongs; I was more excited about him than any of Cook's other signings, apart from Morsy.

Not tearing up any trees at Charlton either, it appears...
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:36 - Aug 25 with 680 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:32 - Aug 25 by Funge

Agreed - Coke, for me, was always a stop-gap; a cheap signing (like so many of the late Evans era), one that MM thought might work, and, as you state above, clearly didn't. Falls into the 'simply crap' pile, as opposed to disappointing.

Scott Fraser was really disappointing - came here as Player of the Year from the Dongs; I was more excited about him than any of Cook's other signings, apart from Morsy.

Not tearing up any trees at Charlton either, it appears...

I saw Fraser at Charlton when Derby played there. He had a few good touches, decent control and a decent 5 minute spell, but he looked slow, anonymous and quite frankly, a bit cr@p.

We did well to unload him from what I saw.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:40 - Aug 25 with 662 viewshoppy

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 09:10 - Aug 25 by Churchman

So was Martin…

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024