Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most disappointing ITFC signings? 20:05 - Aug 24 with 7657 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It has been suggested to me that judging Harper as once such example is heavy but I maintain what we got vs what we thought we were getting makes it an entirely justified statement

I would include on my list

Lee Martin
Paul Taylor
Nigel Reo Coker
Sam Parkin
Adrian Paz

Any other contenders for Towns most disappointing (not worst) signing?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 20:06]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:41 - Aug 25 with 1149 viewsjayessess

By no means the worst signing but possibly the most disappointing relative to what we needed... James Norwood.

Not that Norwood was bad especially, just that after that dreadful relegation season, we basically had room for one big investment and it was Norwood's wages. We needed him to be the ever-present talisman, scoring 25 goals and what we got was intermittent goalscoring form, injury problems and off-field grief. It was the worst possible moment to dump what remained of the budget in the wrong place.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 12:01 - Aug 25 with 1111 viewsBluebell

Paul Hurst.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 12:33 - Aug 25 with 1078 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 22:31 - Aug 24 by Churchman

For me, much the same as others.

1. Lee Martin - awful
2. Sam Parkin - banged them in for Swindon. 20 mins into his home debut it was clear his limit was L1
3. Stuart Slater - promised so much at WHU, was hopeless by the time he came to us.
4. Paul Taylor - Peterborough gales of laughter must still be echoing around their board room after mugging us off with that. They robbed us blind.
5. Jonathan Douglas - billed as the goalscoring midfielder we needed. What we got was somebody ambling about the pitch looking like he was keeping his knees together because he hadn’t been for a couple of days. One of the worst players it’s been my misfortune to witness in a Town shirt and in the past 21 years there’s been some pretty stiff opposition.

I was not disappointed by Chopra. Everyone knew what he was before he came. That we were dumb enough to entertain more of the same was our problem. It was never going to end well.

Old ones - Harbey was utterly hopeless, but nobody knew anything about him anyway so no disappointment there.

Robson’s only turkey was Kevin O’Callaghan. Bought from Millwall, he came with a good billing for I think £200k, but for the top flight he never made the grade, sadly. Did well 8n Escape to Victory though!

'Jonathan Douglas - billed as the goalscoring midfielder we needed'

Yes because prior to joining us he was a goalscoring midfielder at Brentford.

Do you know that it was an Ipswich manager who created a new role for him at Ipswich? We could have had goals from him but for the manager's ideas.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 12:39 - Aug 25 with 1067 viewsphillymark

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 21:07 - Aug 24 by Vic

Harper is the stand out of recent recruits. But a bit further back I can’t see past Lee Martin. Even further back I’d go for Stuart Slater, or perhaps Kevin O'Callaghan. I know he played in some big games, but for me he never kicked on like we hoped he would.

O’Callaghan never really recovered from the broken arm he got in Germany
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 12:42 - Aug 25 with 1062 viewsitfcjoe

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 12:33 - Aug 25 by Mach_foreignBlue

Do you know that it was an Ipswich manager who created a new role for him at Ipswich? We could have had goals from him but for the manager's ideas.

He had one half decent goalscoring season at Brentford with 8 goals in 44 games - in his career he scored 36 goals in 501 games and scored 5 in a season twice - 2005/06 and 2014/15.

So no, he wasn't a goalscoring midfielder - even at Brentford it was 17 goals in 169 games in total

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 12:53 - Aug 25 with 1030 viewsblueasfook

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 21:21 - Aug 24 by cressi

John scales and Mateo Serini

Scales was a bargain basement signing in the twilight of his career and plagued by injuries by that point. If he'd been fit I think he would have featured more.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 13:26 - Aug 25 with 1008 viewsEnigma_Blue

Jason Scotland. He wasn't terrible by any means but I really though we had signed a 20 plus goal a season striker when we signed him. Especially when he came out and stated he could guarantee that many goals.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 15:34 - Aug 25 with 965 viewsnorfsufblue

Given that we'd just dispatched Jordan Rhodes , Tamas Priskin was the definitive disappointment, but Stuart Slater was the one I really wanted to flourish here but sadly didn't happen
Login to get fewer ads

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 15:50 - Aug 25 with 933 viewsyorkshire

My first thought was Stuart Slater as he was the first player I remember getting excited about. Priskin, Paul Taylor, Bullard (perm), Parkin and Karic never lived up to expectations for sure

I would also add in the likes of Steven Taylor, Nathan Ellington, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Aaron Mclean - we got all of these guys well after the had past their prime but you always hoped that they could discover that magic
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 15:57 - Aug 25 with 903 viewsRadioOrwell

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 21:31 - Aug 24 by ITFC_Forever

Those mentioning Sereni and Finidi are forgetting they were two of our better players in 2001-02.

We finished 5th.
We signed Finidi and Sereni for 'big' money and got relegated.
If that's not disappointing I don't know what is.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 16:00 - Aug 25 with 901 viewsRadioOrwell

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:15 - Aug 25 by Lord_Lucan

I will never understand why Sereni and Finidi come up in any bad player conversations.

Bonkers

The thread is about disappointment.
I'd say relegation is massively disappointing.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 16:58 - Aug 25 with 854 viewsPowrigan

Veliče Šumulikoski

Wasn’t quite the Gerrard mk2 he was hyped up to be.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 17:36 - Aug 25 with 812 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 15:57 - Aug 25 by RadioOrwell

We finished 5th.
We signed Finidi and Sereni for 'big' money and got relegated.
If that's not disappointing I don't know what is.

That is disappointing. It sums up that season.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kXTFeFRPlbc

Are you going to blame Sereni and Finidi for this?
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 17:58 - Aug 25 with 796 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 12:33 - Aug 25 by Mach_foreignBlue

We shall agree to differ. He would never have done anything wherever you put him because he was cr@p. Just look up the Newcastle clip. It wasn’t a bad day at the office. He did it week in week out.

I watched him just miss a tackle, just miss the ball, wander into positions where he could never get the ball, watch the ball sail over his head boots glued to the ground. He got two years out of town. As pension top ups go, he did well.

When looking up how Andre Dozzell was doing, I saw a thread a bit like this. A favourite was Mark Hateley who was introduced to the crowd on crutches and basically never got off them. Bet even on those he was quicker than JD.

Apparently, they also signed a player who was allergic to grass. Now that did make me laugh.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:25 - Aug 25 with 780 viewsRadioOrwell

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 17:36 - Aug 25 by Mach_foreignBlue

That is disappointing. It sums up that season.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kXTFeFRPlbc

Are you going to blame Sereni and Finidi for this?

As a minimum, they should have improved us.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:44 - Aug 25 with 770 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 21:31 - Aug 24 by ITFC_Forever

Those mentioning Sereni and Finidi are forgetting they were two of our better players in 2001-02.

Anyone who was at the Derby home game 01/02, can’t seriously put Finidi down. He was so good that night, it almost made up for the subsequent disappointment. I think it’s clear in hindsight that whilst the wages Finidi and Sereni got caused some dressing room fiction, there was only one bad apple amongst the really…. Talent wise Sereni was good enough, but disappointing in terms of attitude and ultimately perhaps being the disruptive influence

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:44 - Aug 25 with 770 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:25 - Aug 25 by RadioOrwell

As a minimum, they should have improved us.

As it's been said beforehand they were fine. Their task wasn't to carry the rest of the team, that underperforming team who was scared to make tackles.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:53 - Aug 25 with 749 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:44 - Aug 25 by BlueyandCrazy

Anyone who was at the Derby home game 01/02, can’t seriously put Finidi down. He was so good that night, it almost made up for the subsequent disappointment. I think it’s clear in hindsight that whilst the wages Finidi and Sereni got caused some dressing room fiction, there was only one bad apple amongst the really…. Talent wise Sereni was good enough, but disappointing in terms of attitude and ultimately perhaps being the disruptive influence

I saw all the home games that season including Derby and Sunderland. Finidi was an excellent player. The problem was he was too old. I’ve no idea how old he was in reality, but late 30s maybe? Either way, week in week out wasn’t on and rarely was 90 minutes. He just wasn’t what we needed, despite his extraordinary talent.

Sereni? He was a decent keeper but all wrong for us. I seem to remember Poom was a possibility and he’d have been a good option. Either way, on these transfers GB got it wrong. Such a shame Wright couldn’t have been patient for another season. We’d have survived and I suspect he’d have done better with his playing career than shining his rear end for the rest of it.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 19:09 - Aug 25 with 724 viewsoldburian

I remember as a 10 year old in 1954 being very excited that we signed an England 'B' international called Wilf Grant from Cardiff. He was my favourite player for a while replacing Billy Reed. Did not last long.

Actually he only got one 'B' cap, he was in the team that lost 7 - 0 to France 'B' who were an insignificant international side at the time. No wonder he was never picked again.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 19:35 - Aug 25 with 688 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:44 - Aug 25 by BlueyandCrazy

Finidi was a v fine player but we only saw flashes of that.

I think given our outlay, given they hype, given he was of the men that was supposed to help us kick on and the relegation that came he has to be mentioned in a conversation like this .

If it was worst player then probably not but most disappointing, I think he's a candidate. Thoug for me Lee Martin or Paul Taylor just pup Rakeem.... so far

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 03:59 - Aug 26 with 554 viewsWickwar_Blue

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 20:38 - Aug 24 by Scuzzer

You're obviously younger than me for thou hast not included the notorious Graham Harbey.

I didn’t mean to down vote this and now can’t work out how to reverse it. I’m not some niche Graham Harbey fan…. I remember him, he was bloody awful!
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 04:00 - Aug 26 with 553 viewsWickwar_Blue

Roy Keane
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:19 - Aug 26 with 513 viewsMJallday

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 22:23 - Aug 24 by LeoMuff

Sereni was a bang average keeper, decent shot stopper but awaful at crosses and a bad attitude, terrible waste of £4.5m, Poom waould have been so much better.

Didn’t he turn out to be a bit of a rapist*

*allegedly and according to Wikipedia

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:29 - Aug 26 with 499 viewsElephantintheRoom

Has anyone mentioned Mick McNeil?

A full England international no less - at a time when that really meant something. But always injured and not as good as Chopper Jefferson.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:47 - Aug 26 with 490 viewsCityBlue

I think people are confusing poor with disappointing. Surely this crown belongs to Paz. Came with a glowing reference and filled our hearts with South American hopes. His first game he was like a tornado and I am not sure people really knew what to make of what they had just witnessed. A new Uruguayan Maradonna? Turned out to be a total flop. Thankfully Tarricco numbed us to the disappointment.
He ended up only ever scoring 25 odd goals in his entire competitive career.

I T I D

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024