Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Betting advice please. 14:58 - Aug 15 with 3153 viewsfabian_illness

I'm no betting man, but would welcome some advice on a bet placed by my father in law. He's 70 and not an online gambler, just maybe the grand national and the odd speedway GP if odds are available, made at one of the local bookies shops.
He's a big speedway fan, so phoned Saturday morning to see if there was betting on the Cardiff GP. He was told yes and given odds for the 3 riders he'd picked. So he went down the shop, the lady behind the counter wrote his slip with all 3 riders and their respective odds, £10 on each rider, he took the printout and went home.
Dan Bewley came in winner at 100/1 as quoted by bookmakers.
He went down this morning to collect his winnings and the shop manager has refused it saying there's been a mistake. She fobbed him off with £150 and told him to phone the ombudsman saying they won't do anything so make do with the £150.

What's the score good people of twtd?
Betting advice please. on 15:08 - Aug 15 with 2339 viewsBlueBoots

If they wrote the odds on the betting slip at the time the bet was placed, they ought to honour it. If your father-in-law has accepted the £150 and handed over his portion of the betting slip, not sure there's much that can be done now though...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Betting advice please. on 15:11 - Aug 15 with 2329 viewsITFC_Forever

Go in an insist to see the manager, area manager etc

It sounds like they're trying to rip him off. If he had the odds written on the slip, it sounds like he's completely in the right and is entitled to his winnings.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Betting advice please. on 15:28 - Aug 15 with 2273 viewsjeera

Betting advice please. on 15:08 - Aug 15 by BlueBoots

If they wrote the odds on the betting slip at the time the bet was placed, they ought to honour it. If your father-in-law has accepted the £150 and handed over his portion of the betting slip, not sure there's much that can be done now though...

Hang on. He was owed a grand and they've fobbed him off with 100 plus his bet money?

I know eff all about gambling but figure the accepted bet is a legal contract.

For a start once the word gets around they'll lose a damn sight more than a thousand quid.

If all else fails make a number of photocopies of the slip, he still has evidence right? Right?

And offer to put them up everywhere along the street with an outline of what the thieving ba****ds have been up to.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Betting advice please. on 15:30 - Aug 15 with 2250 viewsOldFart71

Is the bookmaker a large chain e.g. Corals, Ladbroke, Paddy Power etc or a small independent. Not that it should matter a great deal but some independents have pay out limits. If your father accepted the £150 then I doubt he has much he can do. If on the other hand he hasn't accepted the £150, which in my opinion he shouldn't have he can either take it up with the ombudsman or perhaps the small claims court. An example of how a bookmaker should treat you is many years ago after watching the last televised race at Cheltenham I pop to the local Corals and said to the manager I wanted a forecast and tricast on the National Hunt flat race at Cheltenham. The manager insisted there was a tricast available I picked four horse out for the forecast which I would also have put in the tricast. They came in at 50/1, 7/2 and 25/1 and paid £2000 for the tricast. I wouldn't have done it to a pound stake anyway. I was not best pleased as the forecast and tricast were announced and told the manager in no uncertain terms he'd cost me a fair bit of money. Going back to the shop a few day's later he invited me in to his office and had an area manager with him. apologised for his error and paid me out a total of £536 for the forecast and tricast. I put £30 behind the counter for the staff and thanked him.
Betting advice please. on 15:43 - Aug 15 with 2175 viewsfallyblue

A similar thing happened to my son years ago, he was on the coach going to an away game up north, and went into the bookies at a service station. I can’t remember exactly what the bet was but Ipswich were huge odds to beat a crap team, so he lumped on a the bet won. He went into a ladbrookes in town and unfortunately the lad behind the counter worked at one of the bookies that used to be in the ground on a Saturday afternoon. He said it was a mistake and wouldn’t pay. My son took it to the ombudsman but they also rejected it saying the price was a genuine mistake and couldn’t possibly correct. Wan***s
Betting advice please. on 16:15 - Aug 15 with 2068 viewsmattrolow

Sadly they will have a clause within their terms and conditions around 'obvious mistakes' - usually in relation to the prices given.

If it is deemed to be an obvious mistake (and 100/1 for a speedway rider to win seems pretty large but I don't know usual odds) they can hide behind this.

They still have to pay you out but only at the 'correct' price - usually using other bookmakers to compare.

Always worth a go with the Ombudsman but this is what they will come back with, I imagine.
Betting advice please. on 16:30 - Aug 15 with 2024 viewsJ2BLUE

This is the 'palpable error' cop out.

I don't know anything about speedway but 100/1 does big and like a genuine error. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Betting advice please. on 16:41 - Aug 15 with 1983 viewsSitfcB

Can try and contest it but usually takes a lot, they should always honour in my opinion it but it’s in their t&c’s about errors I think.

It does depend on wether the 100/1 was inputted into their system as well though, they scan the slip but still manually enter the odds onto the system.

This happened to me in January 2020, had £10 on Woolfenden anytime but the cashier put it down as first goalscorer odds @ 33/1 instead of the anytime odds of 12/1, and because it was in the system as that it was paid out at that, and they didn’t notice, and to be fair nor did I until I got home and realised, I’d had a few and just thought it was good odds upon collecting ha.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Betting advice please. on 16:43 - Aug 15 with 1953 viewsITFC_Forever

Betting advice please. on 16:15 - Aug 15 by mattrolow

Sadly they will have a clause within their terms and conditions around 'obvious mistakes' - usually in relation to the prices given.

If it is deemed to be an obvious mistake (and 100/1 for a speedway rider to win seems pretty large but I don't know usual odds) they can hide behind this.

They still have to pay you out but only at the 'correct' price - usually using other bookmakers to compare.

Always worth a go with the Ombudsman but this is what they will come back with, I imagine.

It was an individual event, and Dan Bewley who won it is a youngster coming through, and well down the list of likely winners.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Betting advice please. on 17:01 - Aug 15 with 1885 viewsTrequartista

I don’t think you have a case unfortunately, the payout was 14/1 and looking at these pre-meeting odds, it looks to have been a mistake which others have said will be accepted as a mistake by an ombudsman.

Kind regards
Sherlockquartista

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Betting advice please. on 17:06 - Aug 15 with 1836 viewsFunge

Betting advice please. on 17:01 - Aug 15 by Trequartista

I don’t think you have a case unfortunately, the payout was 14/1 and looking at these pre-meeting odds, it looks to have been a mistake which others have said will be accepted as a mistake by an ombudsman.

Kind regards
Sherlockquartista

To reinforce the point made by you and J2 - the always excellent Caan Berry covers 'palpable errors' off here:-

https://caanberry.com/warning-palpable-errors-in-betting/#:~:text=What%20is%20a%

To the OP - the bookies have acknowledged this - the payment of £150 would suggest that the 'correct' price for Dan Bewley was about 14/1. Trekkers' post below had him at 11/1, so the bookies have effectively given you a £30 'sweetener' in recognition of their error.

It's bullsh1t, and does nothing to dispel the (justifiable) image of bookies as greedy scumbags - but I fear you might end up banging your head against a brick wall here....
Betting advice please. on 17:40 - Aug 15 with 1744 viewsfabian_illness

I really appreciate all your replies. Genuinely.
The poor chap has had a rough time with different things over the past few weeks and I feel sorry for him.
Another family member has been on the phone this afternoon and the error clause has been mentioned.
So I guess that's where we'll leave it.
Thanks again.
Betting advice please. on 18:29 - Aug 15 with 1646 viewsthecheek

Bookies have a "culpable error" get out cause however they would have to prove what the correct price on the selection in question was when the bet was placed.

I would nevertheless raise the matter with IBAS who are the Ombudsman of Betting disputes -

https://www.ibas-uk.com/

It will cost you nothing to do so
Betting advice please. on 19:15 - Aug 15 with 1594 viewsjohnewark

Betting advice please. on 18:29 - Aug 15 by thecheek

Bookies have a "culpable error" get out cause however they would have to prove what the correct price on the selection in question was when the bet was placed.

I would nevertheless raise the matter with IBAS who are the Ombudsman of Betting disputes -

https://www.ibas-uk.com/

It will cost you nothing to do so

It will need a deadlock letter/reference from the bookmaker before IBAS will look at it and if the amount has been accepted and the slip retained by the cashier, they'll not give one at this stage unfortunately. I'm in a 3 month dispute with Paddy Power over a similar matter (though I can prove the price they gave me in-shop) and they've still not given me the reference.
Betting advice please. on 19:17 - Aug 15 with 1592 viewsstrikalite

God only knows where they got 100/1 from, it's a bit like if you go in a bookies shop and place a bet and you put the odds down there and then and pay the bet, they don't check that the odds you've put down are correct, but if it comes in obviously they'll check then what the price was at the time you placed it..
Betting advice please. on 19:38 - Aug 15 with 1511 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

When putting the bet through the system, I’d expect ‘speedway’ wouldn’t be a listed sport. So it would be on there in shop as a manual bet. With it being there as 100/1, but the actual price being 14s (hence the £150), I would suspect because it’s in manually, someone has translated it wrong. They’ve probably gone and found him to win the championship outright or something like that.

I think he’s unfortunate in that he’s unsurprisingly believed what is on the slip as being correct but also that it’s quite obviously a palp looking at it without any emotional attachment.

As someone in the betting industry, I’d suggest that you make a claim with IBAS but be 99% expecting to get no extra from it from here. It’s purely human error. With the sport being what it is, it’s just simply not something that would be on the system rightly or wrongly I’m afraid and after the error has occurred, they’ve done everything correct in the way to handle it as is standard.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Betting advice please. on 20:27 - Aug 15 with 1430 viewsWestover

Betting advice please. on 19:38 - Aug 15 by The_Romford_Blue

When putting the bet through the system, I’d expect ‘speedway’ wouldn’t be a listed sport. So it would be on there in shop as a manual bet. With it being there as 100/1, but the actual price being 14s (hence the £150), I would suspect because it’s in manually, someone has translated it wrong. They’ve probably gone and found him to win the championship outright or something like that.

I think he’s unfortunate in that he’s unsurprisingly believed what is on the slip as being correct but also that it’s quite obviously a palp looking at it without any emotional attachment.

As someone in the betting industry, I’d suggest that you make a claim with IBAS but be 99% expecting to get no extra from it from here. It’s purely human error. With the sport being what it is, it’s just simply not something that would be on the system rightly or wrongly I’m afraid and after the error has occurred, they’ve done everything correct in the way to handle it as is standard.

You are spot on Rommy a mistake and they would have it somewhere in the rules to protect themselves.
Betting advice please. on 20:58 - Aug 15 with 1372 viewsTrequartista

Betting advice please. on 19:17 - Aug 15 by strikalite

God only knows where they got 100/1 from, it's a bit like if you go in a bookies shop and place a bet and you put the odds down there and then and pay the bet, they don't check that the odds you've put down are correct, but if it comes in obviously they'll check then what the price was at the time you placed it..

I wonder if 100/1 was the odds before the meeting for Bewley to win the GP series rather than just the British GP.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Betting advice please. on 21:03 - Aug 15 with 1350 viewsDoug_The_Jug

Betting advice please. on 16:15 - Aug 15 by mattrolow

Agree... book makers make mistakes all the time and will only pay out at the correct odds, which appears to be the case here. 100/1 seems high
Betting advice please. on 08:02 - Aug 16 with 1146 viewsVegtablue

Others correct I'm afraid, open+shut case in favour of bookmaker if one of the normal highstreet chains. A gesture of goodwill amounting to much less than 100/1 returns is what you may wish to argue for but they're less common these days and largely reserved for regular customers. Totally get why you feel aggrieved of course.
Betting advice please. on 08:35 - Aug 16 with 1107 viewsBattersea_Blue

As others have said unfortunately the bookmaker is going to win this one, all down to the 100/1 odds, which was unrealistic.

It would be interesting to see the betting slip as perhaps the bookmaker thought it was a treble rather than 3 individual bets. Depends what was written on the betting slip.

There must have been a question mark though as the bookmaker paid out the £150.

Perhaps just a very inexperienced teller at the bookmaker.
Betting advice please. on 09:03 - Aug 16 with 1050 viewsZx1988

There's an interesting comment on the Caanberry article concerning IBAS vs the actual state of the law:

https://caanberry.com/warning-palpable-errors-in-betting/#:~:text=In%20UK%20Gamb

Probably a lot of effort to go down this particular route, but it's an interesting counter-point.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Betting advice please. on 09:10 - Aug 16 with 1042 viewsthecheek

At the very least you should ask them what the correct odds were at the exact time the bet was placed and for visible evidence of this. Don't be fobbed off by them giving this to you verbally. If they can't show you evidence ask for it in writing.

If they are unable to give you this then tell them you want to speak to a District Manager and will be going to IBAS.

You may well be able to squeeze a bit more out of them as a goodwill gesture
Betting advice please. on 09:27 - Aug 16 with 1026 viewsclive_baker

Having read through this thread, what a load of b0llocks this rule is. If it's a c0ck up then own it I say, and honour what was sold to him at the time. What I think is particularly relevant is he was told the odds of 100/1, and those were the conditions upon which he accepted the bet and deemed it value. Had he seen or been told 10/1 and put a tenner on, and then realised the bet slip said 100/1 that's a little different and I would have more sympathy with the bookies. This almost feels a case of false advertising under the misrepresentation act.

Had the bet lost, what would they have said if he asked for his tenner back because the odds were incorrect?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Betting advice please. on 09:40 - Aug 16 with 999 viewsJ2BLUE

Betting advice please. on 09:27 - Aug 16 by clive_baker

Having read through this thread, what a load of b0llocks this rule is. If it's a c0ck up then own it I say, and honour what was sold to him at the time. What I think is particularly relevant is he was told the odds of 100/1, and those were the conditions upon which he accepted the bet and deemed it value. Had he seen or been told 10/1 and put a tenner on, and then realised the bet slip said 100/1 that's a little different and I would have more sympathy with the bookies. This almost feels a case of false advertising under the misrepresentation act.

Had the bet lost, what would they have said if he asked for his tenner back because the odds were incorrect?

To be honest, as odd as it sounds, he was lucky to get paid out anything.

In my experience most bookies will actually void the bet in these circumstances. I had a similar situation years ago during a women's world cup. Some Italian player was something like 16/1 to score any time but she was a striker and had been banging them in for her club. Betfred said the correct odds were much lower (can't remember exactly) and it was an error. Rather than paying out at lower odds they just voided it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024