Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? 19:34 - Aug 10 with 5176 viewsLord_Lucan

I think for me it was around 50p around 1979

I then remember it going up to 60p where it hovered for a while before eventually getting to £1. Once at £1 it seems to have stayed that price for some time.

Early days for me, if I can remember correctly, it was Skol, Harp and Tennants on offer - mind you I can only remember The Falcon for some reason - where they used to do Double Diamond, which I quite liked as it happened.

Moving on a few years it was Hansa and Dab.

Can’t remember the beers, think they were mostly Tolly.

What’s a pint these days? I always pay by card so I don’t really know, £4.50?

I think UK is quite cheap for beer on the whole.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:38 - Aug 10 with 2254 viewsCuffy81

Bottle of carlsberg was 80p

Pint of carlsberg export was £2.30

£4.50 is good these days, anything less than a fiver is a bonus
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:44 - Aug 10 with 2229 viewsBlueBadger

If you didn't mind getting the sh1ts, you could get a pint of 'Little Egypt' brewed by a local fella for a quid in a couple of the boozers i the Glemsford/CavendishClare area circa 1993

Otherwise, about £1.40-50.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 19:51]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:48 - Aug 10 with 2202 viewsLord_Lucan

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:44 - Aug 10 by BlueBadger

If you didn't mind getting the sh1ts, you could get a pint of 'Little Egypt' brewed by a local fella for a quid in a couple of the boozers i the Glemsford/CavendishClare area circa 1993

I constantly have the sh1ts anyway.

Just checked the price of a pint as I’m in the pub. Pint of Ghost Ship £4.20 Trafford Arms, Norwich.

Very reasonable.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:49 - Aug 10 with 2188 viewsPJH

I think it was two shillings and one penny (old money!) for a pint of Bass in The Royal William in Woodbridge when I started drinking
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:51 - Aug 10 with 2167 viewsBergholtblue

I lived in Hertfordshire when I was 16/17, there were 8 pubs in our village most of which kicked us out, except one, The George. The beer on offer there was Double Diamond (works wonders!). Probably other better beers as well but I remember DD being 10p a pint.

Another was 'Long Life' god knows what that made from.

Poll: Adidas or Umbro?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:51 - Aug 10 with 2165 viewsMeadowlark

Pretty sure it was about 13p a pint for bitter, but I developed a taste for Guinness. I had to curtail that habit when it went up to 20p a pint! Couldn't afford that!.
Used to frequent the pubs with no problem before the age of 18 so this would have been 1973/74 I would guess.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:55 - Aug 10 with 2117 viewsKeno

here this will annoy you.

£0.50 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £2.38 today

so how come you are paying £4 plus a pint!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:55 - Aug 10 with 2118 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Watney Manns was the most common beer around in’77. Unfortunately, it was called Norwich bitter and if i remember correctly, a couple of quid would get a round of 4 or 5 pints in a few of the Diss pubs.
Stefan who had the Cock Inn on Fair Green was a bit cheaper, but he hardly had any customers and consequently the beer always had bits in it. Can’t remember what beer he sold, but his Polish vodka could have run a fizzy for a month.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:55 - Aug 10 with 2114 viewsFreddies_Ears

Cheapest I ever had in a pub was GK IPA for 29p a pint. Back then, it was 30p-32p in most around my way. Abbot was 34p in the public bar, 36p in the saloon. Cambridge & around, 1977.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:58 - Aug 10 with 2107 viewsazuremerlangus

I seem to remember Symonds bitter being 54p a pint in the NAAFI bar c.1984. This was the end of the month drink when cash was short. Bloody awful stuff…

At the beginning of the month Stella Artois was affordable at around the 80p mark.

In these days of drinking my starting pub was usually the Swan - can’t remember the exact prices but slightly more expensive than above but drinks involved Light and bitter, Hansa lager or the fast-lane drinking experience of Abbot ale in the Crown and Anchor as a pre-match death wish….

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:00 - Aug 10 with 2094 viewsBlueBadger

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:48 - Aug 10 by Lord_Lucan

I constantly have the sh1ts anyway.

Just checked the price of a pint as I’m in the pub. Pint of Ghost Ship £4.20 Trafford Arms, Norwich.

Very reasonable.

As an aside, Mad Bob, who was head brewer at Nethergate and the man behind 'Little Egypt' is still alive, well and brewing.

I'm pleased to report that his beer doesn't give you the sh1ts anymore.

Maybe it was just how they were keeping it where I was drinking.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:00 - Aug 10 with 2093 viewsLord_Lucan

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:55 - Aug 10 by StochesStotasBlewe

Watney Manns was the most common beer around in’77. Unfortunately, it was called Norwich bitter and if i remember correctly, a couple of quid would get a round of 4 or 5 pints in a few of the Diss pubs.
Stefan who had the Cock Inn on Fair Green was a bit cheaper, but he hardly had any customers and consequently the beer always had bits in it. Can’t remember what beer he sold, but his Polish vodka could have run a fizzy for a month.

I knew Stefan, crazy Polish guy who used to roll about in the snow naked. He did a fine beef burger - and even back in the late 70’s he called his ploughman’s a plough persons. He was ahead of his time.

He gave me a bottle of that polish spirit sh1t when I passed my driving test, and bizarrely I drove home on it.

From memory drink driving was still tolerated in 83

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:02 - Aug 10 with 2086 viewsDubtractor

Whatever it was in about 1993? I'm thinking it was about £2 a pint?

I remember Monday nights at the malt kiln, drinking Theakstone's XB (or Labbats) for a £1 a pint, then heading to Hollywoods for the student/indie night and drinking Fosters, also for £1 a pint, all followed up by trying and failing to pull.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:05 - Aug 10 with 2053 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hemling. 45p a pint I think.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:06 - Aug 10 with 2050 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:00 - Aug 10 by Lord_Lucan

I knew Stefan, crazy Polish guy who used to roll about in the snow naked. He did a fine beef burger - and even back in the late 70’s he called his ploughman’s a plough persons. He was ahead of his time.

He gave me a bottle of that polish spirit sh1t when I passed my driving test, and bizarrely I drove home on it.

From memory drink driving was still tolerated in 83

That vodka is, to this day, the only alcoholic drink that has anaesthetised lips and mouth. God only knows what it did to your insides though.
Cracking character was Stefan.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:16 - Aug 10 with 2013 viewsXYZ

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:51 - Aug 10 by Bergholtblue

I lived in Hertfordshire when I was 16/17, there were 8 pubs in our village most of which kicked us out, except one, The George. The beer on offer there was Double Diamond (works wonders!). Probably other better beers as well but I remember DD being 10p a pint.

Another was 'Long Life' god knows what that made from.

If it was 10p a pint, I'm guessing it did what it said on the glass!
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:17 - Aug 10 with 2006 viewsXYZ

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:55 - Aug 10 by Keno

here this will annoy you.

£0.50 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £2.38 today

so how come you are paying £4 plus a pint!!

Conservative Party taxes.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:22 - Aug 10 with 1994 viewstazdac

About 82p a pint, mostly Tolly Original or Ruddles County around ‘86
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:23 - Aug 10 with 1984 viewsGlasgowBlue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:44 - Aug 10 by BlueBadger

Facey was paying £10 a pint in 2012.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:24 - Aug 10 with 1979 viewsbluelagos

I've been sampling Czech beers all week. Taste lovely, not paid more than £1.25 a pint. (In the sticks rather than Prague atm)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:28 - Aug 10 with 1966 viewsITFC_Forever

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:02 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

Whatever it was in about 1993? I'm thinking it was about £2 a pint?

I remember Monday nights at the malt kiln, drinking Theakstone's XB (or Labbats) for a £1 a pint, then heading to Hollywoods for the student/indie night and drinking Fosters, also for £1 a pint, all followed up by trying and failing to pull.

My era too.

Couple of quid for a pint, special offers in the clubs.

Failing dismally with the females.

But who cares. 1991-92 was the best season of my life.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:29 - Aug 10 with 1959 viewsblueislander

Pint of Adnams bitter 10d.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:38 - Aug 10 with 1923 viewsOldsmoker

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:49 - Aug 10 by PJH

I think it was two shillings and one penny (old money!) for a pint of Bass in The Royal William in Woodbridge when I started drinking

I paid 2 bob for a pint of Watneys Red Barrel in 1970.
When that pub moved the under-age drinkers on we ended up paying 2 bob and a penny too.
Then decimalization happened and 2 bob and a penny became 11 pence.
I pointed out to the Landlord that it should be 10 and a half pence.
His reply was "How old are you?"
Dontcha just hate it when you lose an argument on a technicality.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:40 - Aug 10 with 1918 viewsPJH

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:29 - Aug 10 by blueislander

Pint of Adnams bitter 10d.

I am never certain in my memory olf a pint of Bass as to whether it was one shilling and two pence or two shillings and one penny but I am pretty sure that it was one or the other.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:44 - Aug 10 with 1907 viewsDaninthecampo

Kronenbourg back in 92 i'm sure I could buy 4 piints for a fiver.
Pay about €2.50 for a pint now
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024