Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like another school shooting in the US... 21:58 - May 24 with 6190 viewsDanTheMan

14 kids and a teacher dead at an elementary school.

Absolutely sickening.

How long can it go on for over there before they actually do something?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-61573831
[Post edited 24 May 2022 21:59]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:01 - May 25 with 1108 viewsLord_Lucan

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:42 - May 24 by Illinoisblue

I do not have one and nor will I. Simply no interest in guns. I do have a baseball bat in the garage. Maybe that will be enough to save me! I live in a rather bland leafy suburb so the chances of an attack are rather slim. But then again, schools aren’t safe so where is ?

I have a baseball bat by my bed but I've always had that and thankfully never had to use it..

Not sure how old you are Illy ( I don't know why but I think you are Nacton / Gainsborough boy???), an old friend of mine from Nacton Estate moved to New York back in the 90's

He had an American wife and two kids. I think the last time I saw him was around 1996, I could be a few years out but I don't think it was after 96 - Edit again, I've been thinking and I reckon it was late 80's / early 90's

Anyhoo - he popped back to see his family in Ipswich and while he was back we had a few beers in The Duke and The Racecourse and all that. He seemed fine and he went back to NYC and I just assumed I would see him again in a year or so.

Next thing I heard was that he shot both his kids and his Mrs and then blew his own brains out.

Crazy days!

They had his wake at the Gainsborough Labour Club I think, I couldn't go and I don't think many, if any, did. I felt very sorry for his parents.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 0:24]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:31 - May 25 with 1083 viewsIllinoisblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:01 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

I have a baseball bat by my bed but I've always had that and thankfully never had to use it..

Not sure how old you are Illy ( I don't know why but I think you are Nacton / Gainsborough boy???), an old friend of mine from Nacton Estate moved to New York back in the 90's

He had an American wife and two kids. I think the last time I saw him was around 1996, I could be a few years out but I don't think it was after 96 - Edit again, I've been thinking and I reckon it was late 80's / early 90's

Anyhoo - he popped back to see his family in Ipswich and while he was back we had a few beers in The Duke and The Racecourse and all that. He seemed fine and he went back to NYC and I just assumed I would see him again in a year or so.

Next thing I heard was that he shot both his kids and his Mrs and then blew his own brains out.

Crazy days!

They had his wake at the Gainsborough Labour Club I think, I couldn't go and I don't think many, if any, did. I felt very sorry for his parents.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 0:24]

Blimey that is crazy. What sparked such an horrendous act? Did he have mental health issues?

I am rapidly approaching the big 5-0. Moved here in 2004 from IP2 Stoke Park.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:33 - May 25 with 1088 viewsHARRY10

I don't think it is a case of legislation, as all that would be allowed would be the tightening up on some of the ease of acquisition, and the type of person who is allowed a gun.

The UK and Australia (I think) clamped down hard on gun ownership, and despite a few grumbles it was accepted and now is seen as the right decision.

Unfortunately there is something in the US psyche that sees it's own government and police as some kind of oppressive occupying force, who are to be resisted as much as possible.

The lunacy over retaining their 'pet plan' style health insurance is another. Somehow having a cheaper and much more efficient healthcare system is taking away their freedom...... to die in the street. Odd how no one in the US armed forces see their 'free at the point of use' healthcare system as communism in practice.

What is rarely spoken off though is how stupid this nutjob theory of having capital punishment as a deterrent. People are killing each other on an alarming daily rate, with it would seem not paying ant heed to the supposed deterrent at all
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:37 - May 25 with 1081 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:22 - May 24 by pointofblue

Ignoring the stupidity of gun laws in the US, I recall my primary school had security keypads added to every external door after Dunblane, so no one could access without knowing it. Not sure how good they would be if someone took a gun to them, admittedly, but it was an effort to provide more security.

Those poor children, and their families, as well as the teacher.

That happened at every school across England.

But, weirdly, not every school in Scotland.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:51 - May 25 with 1066 viewsLord_Lucan

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:31 - May 25 by Illinoisblue

Blimey that is crazy. What sparked such an horrendous act? Did he have mental health issues?

I am rapidly approaching the big 5-0. Moved here in 2004 from IP2 Stoke Park.

Not that I knew of, I don't think you would know him then as even his youngest brother is older than you.

I reckon I spent maybe a dozen nights with him over the three or four weeks he was back, I really can't remember.

Apart from the odd hoo ha that there was back then he was pretty much the boy next door.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 0:56]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 06:47 - May 25 with 980 viewsbrogansnose

The killer used an assault type rifle. Irrespective of 'right to bear arms' self protection and any other reason you can pin on having a fire arm , nobody, but nobody needs a fkn assault rifle.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 07:53 - May 25 with 921 viewsJDB23

Looks like the good guys with guns were already there, they just missed and waited for a tactical team to arrive. An armed dinner lady would have deffo dropped him though.

Can’t wait for this to lead to increased police budgets rather than actual reform.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 08:02 - May 25 with 906 viewsStokieBlue

There has been 900 gun discharge incidents in schools since Sandy Hook 10 years ago.

There is a sense of entitlement that is prevalent amongst many Americans and it goes further than just guns, look at the people willing to believe the Great Replacement nonsense whilst conveniently forgetting that their nation and way of life is built upon mass immigration from many ethnic groups in the 1800s.

Until the sense of entitlement is addressed then nothing is going to happen. The cries of "it's my right" will just ring out even though they wilfully ignore context: an automatic weapon is nothing like a musket, they know this but it doesn't suit their sense of entitlement to acknowledge it.

It doesn't help to when large elements of the political establishment and media deliberately feed that sense of entitlement for their own ends.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 08:30 - May 25 with 852 viewswaveneyblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:25 - May 24 by BlueBadger

What is it about schoolchildren being murdered that appeals to you?
[Post edited 24 May 2022 23:26]

Tvvat
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 08:52 - May 25 with 824 viewsGuthrum

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 00:33 - May 25 by HARRY10

I don't think it is a case of legislation, as all that would be allowed would be the tightening up on some of the ease of acquisition, and the type of person who is allowed a gun.

The UK and Australia (I think) clamped down hard on gun ownership, and despite a few grumbles it was accepted and now is seen as the right decision.

Unfortunately there is something in the US psyche that sees it's own government and police as some kind of oppressive occupying force, who are to be resisted as much as possible.

The lunacy over retaining their 'pet plan' style health insurance is another. Somehow having a cheaper and much more efficient healthcare system is taking away their freedom...... to die in the street. Odd how no one in the US armed forces see their 'free at the point of use' healthcare system as communism in practice.

What is rarely spoken off though is how stupid this nutjob theory of having capital punishment as a deterrent. People are killing each other on an alarming daily rate, with it would seem not paying ant heed to the supposed deterrent at all

Your points on healthcare, particularly, and on the death penalty are spot on. With the former, the US approach of pouring strong mental health drugs into children from a very early age is tremendously damaging, both in terms of development and the effects of deciding to stop taking medication.

I think your first paragraph is what's needed, at least as a start. Particularly in the area of the types of weapons owned and the quantities of ammunition. Getting too draconian would not only be culturally unacceptable (and therefore unlikely to pass) but is probably not necessary, given the culture of hunting, etc., in the US.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 08:54 - May 25 with 821 viewshype313

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 08:02 - May 25 by StokieBlue

There has been 900 gun discharge incidents in schools since Sandy Hook 10 years ago.

There is a sense of entitlement that is prevalent amongst many Americans and it goes further than just guns, look at the people willing to believe the Great Replacement nonsense whilst conveniently forgetting that their nation and way of life is built upon mass immigration from many ethnic groups in the 1800s.

Until the sense of entitlement is addressed then nothing is going to happen. The cries of "it's my right" will just ring out even though they wilfully ignore context: an automatic weapon is nothing like a musket, they know this but it doesn't suit their sense of entitlement to acknowledge it.

It doesn't help to when large elements of the political establishment and media deliberately feed that sense of entitlement for their own ends.

SB

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:05 - May 25 with 806 viewsGuthrum

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:33 - May 24 by Illinoisblue

Many Americans have this fear and insecurity like no other nationality on this earth. They’re convinced Mexicans/Muslims/others that don’t like American enough are going to steal their jobs, burn their churches, take away their freedoms, or invade their homes and kill them.

The actual number of armed home invasions is so small it doesn’t even register. But here we are.

Reinforced by the fact that distances in a lot of the 'States are so vast, the nearest policeman isn't going to turn up in time to stop whatever is happening, let alone be passing at the right moment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:09 - May 25 with 801 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 08:54 - May 25 by hype313

Powerful stuff and important that public figures come out and make these points.

Unfortunately I fear it's going to take a lot more than that to change the sense of entitlement I mentioned previously in a great many people. Some are simply too far down the rabbit hole where everything is a conspiracy and anyone who voices a different opinion is part of the conspiracy.

SB

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:33 - May 25 with 763 viewsSwansea_Blue

Horrendous. What sort of f^cked up legislature won't act after so many of these tragedies?

RIP

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:49 - May 25 with 743 viewsfloridaboy

That lovely senator Marjorie Taylor Greene tweeted minutes after it happened that the US doesnt need more gun control it needs to spend more time talking to God!!!!!!!

The scumbag who did it is dead thankfully. On his 18th birthday he went out and bought two assault rifles because he could . He couldnt buy a case of beer because he was under 21!
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:49 - May 25 with 739 viewsgiant_stow

Seems to me that the pro-gun lobby over there are basically saying that these regular shootings are a price worth paying for gun freedom.

If they haven't already, I'd like them to explicitly say that and be open about their horrible twisted 'morality'.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 9:50]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:55 - May 25 with 725 viewsBlueBadger

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 08:30 - May 25 by waveneyblue

Tvvat

Ooooh, get a load of 'no fat shaming' here throwing around the Howwid Words.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:58 - May 25 with 714 viewswaveneyblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:55 - May 25 by BlueBadger

Ooooh, get a load of 'no fat shaming' here throwing around the Howwid Words.

Not sure what the issue is here - I am calling you a Tvvat because quite frankly you are one.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:59 - May 25 with 719 viewsclive_baker

Inevitably it'll highlight the debate on gun ownership laws which is an age old one in US, and rightly so. That said I can't help but feel there's something in the adage that 'guns don't kill people, people do'. Americans are a different breed, there's some fecked up people out there who will kill if they want to kill. I don't doubt for a second that the harder it is to own a gun the better for society gnerally, absolutely, but tightening gun laws isn't the silver bullet (if you'll pardon the pun) that some seem to think it is.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:00 - May 25 with 718 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:33 - May 24 by Illinoisblue

Many Americans have this fear and insecurity like no other nationality on this earth. They’re convinced Mexicans/Muslims/others that don’t like American enough are going to steal their jobs, burn their churches, take away their freedoms, or invade their homes and kill them.

The actual number of armed home invasions is so small it doesn’t even register. But here we are.

It's the type of guns as much as anything, if people were allowed to have a hand gun that can fire one bullet every couple of seconds etc then you wouldn't get mass shootings.

Very different to the assault rifles that people seem to be able to get hold off, people are better trained to protect their home than the Russian army was to be sent to war by Putin.

I'm very anti-gun, it's totally alien to see it as an Englishman, but there must be a compromise that allows people to feel safe without putting so many in danger - you can't go somewhere and kill a dozen people with a handgun

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:06 - May 25 with 709 viewsMookamoo

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:33 - May 25 by Swansea_Blue

Horrendous. What sort of f^cked up legislature won't act after so many of these tragedies?

RIP

The one that is paid a lot of money by the gun lobbies not to. Plus the uncomfortable truth is a significant percentage of the family members who have just been affected will still be against extended gun restrictions.

I have seen a post this morning from one of the parents of a child they have just lost in the shooting asking 'why'. He is wearing a 'F*** Your Gun Free Zone' T-Shirt. I have no idea how legit the image is and even if he did post it, he probably didn't think about what he was wearing at the time.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:14 - May 25 with 693 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:59 - May 25 by clive_baker

Inevitably it'll highlight the debate on gun ownership laws which is an age old one in US, and rightly so. That said I can't help but feel there's something in the adage that 'guns don't kill people, people do'. Americans are a different breed, there's some fecked up people out there who will kill if they want to kill. I don't doubt for a second that the harder it is to own a gun the better for society gnerally, absolutely, but tightening gun laws isn't the silver bullet (if you'll pardon the pun) that some seem to think it is.

You say that tightening the gun laws isn't a silver bullet but it's certainly a huge step in the right direction. How many school shootings have their been in the UK since handguns were banned after Dunblane.

I believe the answer is zero?

You are of course correct that if someone wants to kill then they will find a way but taking away as many options as possible is clearly the right thing to do.

SB

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:17 - May 25 with 692 viewshype313

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:59 - May 25 by clive_baker

Australia marked the 25th anniversary of the country's worst mass shooting on Wednesday in which a lone gunman killed 35 people and forced authorities to implement some of the world's toughest gun laws.

Australia has had no mass shootings since 1996.

I think it could be a silver Bullet.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:22 - May 25 with 668 viewsSTYG

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:06 - May 25 by Mookamoo

The one that is paid a lot of money by the gun lobbies not to. Plus the uncomfortable truth is a significant percentage of the family members who have just been affected will still be against extended gun restrictions.

I have seen a post this morning from one of the parents of a child they have just lost in the shooting asking 'why'. He is wearing a 'F*** Your Gun Free Zone' T-Shirt. I have no idea how legit the image is and even if he did post it, he probably didn't think about what he was wearing at the time.

America is beyond change. It's too far gone. It's like a 90 year old that smoked 40 a day who is riddled with lung cancer deciding to wear a nicorette patch.

It's simply awful. Nothing that they say to justify owning guns makes any sense. They haven't even had their big guns taken away. They haven't even been able to not walk into our equivalent of Tesco and buy a rifle and bullets and a sniper scope. It's absolutely mad.

I've worked a lot in the US and at least half of them are scared that some different looking type is going to murder them all and their families and so they have to carry guns as a deterrent. Do they really think that people that walk into schools and shoot children, knowing security guards, police, passing people with carry permits have guns and might shoot them are worried about being shot themselves. These people are either prepared to die or kill themselves after they've committed whatever evil act they want to carry out anyway.

I've seen suggestions that teachers should be armed FFS! Even if we ignore the teachers that may then lose it and shoot themselves or kids or kids that may steal a gun from a teacher and pretend this works well then what? The nutters move away from schools to hospitals or care homes. What then? Give all the doctors and nurses guns too? Instead of taking guns away from the people who might do harm with them, let's give everyone else guns too is the solution?

Others were saying that if you took away guns then nutters would still exist and they'd carry a knife instead. Failing to realise it's a lot easy to disarm someone with a knife than a gun, or that the casualties in such a situation would be massively reduced. Apparently doing something where 2 people die instead of 20 isn't worth the effort.

Even if you can't stop them altogether, how about not giving them to some 18 year old kid, who lives with his parents and doesn't need an assault rifle in case a man breaks into his house. How about doing what every country in the world seems to do or even working towards it?

A huge amount of the 300 million people there are absolutely brainwashed, religious fanatics or have no sense of the reality the rest of the world looks at them with. Nice to see one of Trumps ex-staff using the murder of children to spout her anti-abortion agenda, because America cares about your child right up to the point when it's born, when it can starve, be medically neglected or be shot.

It's so depressing that in reality nothing can be done. Any politician that genuinely wants to tackle such an issue has no hope of getting anywhere because too many people will oppose, before you take into account the relationship with the NRA.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 10:24]
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:23 - May 25 with 665 viewsclive_baker

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:14 - May 25 by StokieBlue

You say that tightening the gun laws isn't a silver bullet but it's certainly a huge step in the right direction. How many school shootings have their been in the UK since handguns were banned after Dunblane.

I believe the answer is zero?

You are of course correct that if someone wants to kill then they will find a way but taking away as many options as possible is clearly the right thing to do.

SB

I agree, it's 100% the right thing to do. I don't think it's as straight forward as comparing with other nations though, people point to the UK as an example but how many mass shootings did we see prior to Dunblane? Hungerford is one that comes to mind but it was only last year we had a mass shooting in Plymouth that left 6 dead thanks to a licensed gun holder. The difference with America is it's home to Americans.

Definitely a step in the right direction, no doubt. It shouldn't really be a debate IMO, ban the things.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024