Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like another school shooting in the US... 21:58 - May 24 with 6192 viewsDanTheMan

14 kids and a teacher dead at an elementary school.

Absolutely sickening.

How long can it go on for over there before they actually do something?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-61573831
[Post edited 24 May 2022 21:59]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:24 - May 25 with 1151 viewsMookamoo

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:17 - May 25 by hype313

Australia marked the 25th anniversary of the country's worst mass shooting on Wednesday in which a lone gunman killed 35 people and forced authorities to implement some of the world's toughest gun laws.

Australia has had no mass shootings since 1996.

I think it could be a silver Bullet.

Old, but unfortunately still relevant

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:28 - May 25 with 1133 viewsSTYG

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:23 - May 25 by clive_baker

I agree, it's 100% the right thing to do. I don't think it's as straight forward as comparing with other nations though, people point to the UK as an example but how many mass shootings did we see prior to Dunblane? Hungerford is one that comes to mind but it was only last year we had a mass shooting in Plymouth that left 6 dead thanks to a licensed gun holder. The difference with America is it's home to Americans.

Definitely a step in the right direction, no doubt. It shouldn't really be a debate IMO, ban the things.

These are people that literally argue that you cannot change something called the SECOND AMENDMENT.

What hope do you have.

A right to arms in case you have to overthrown a dictator in government when guns were useful. Nowadays said governments have drones and missiles! Kind of renders the whole carrying guns bit pointless!
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:28 - May 25 with 1131 viewsclive_baker

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:17 - May 25 by hype313

Australia marked the 25th anniversary of the country's worst mass shooting on Wednesday in which a lone gunman killed 35 people and forced authorities to implement some of the world's toughest gun laws.

I think it could be a silver Bullet.

How do we define a mass shooting? What about Osmington?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:30 - May 25 with 1120 viewsSTYG

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:28 - May 25 by clive_baker

Even if we say Australia has had one mass shooting in 25 years, that still acts as a pretty good example of more can be done to stop the fact that America has more deadly shootings than days in a year.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:33 - May 25 with 1107 viewsclive_baker

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:28 - May 25 by STYG

These are people that literally argue that you cannot change something called the SECOND AMENDMENT.

What hope do you have.

A right to arms in case you have to overthrown a dictator in government when guns were useful. Nowadays said governments have drones and missiles! Kind of renders the whole carrying guns bit pointless!

Quite, that's kind of my point. It's so culturally embedded into society, a society that truly is so fecked up, that I'm not too optimistic it would change a great deal now anyway. They're almost too far gone, which is why I think comparisons to the UK and Aus aren't really meaningful. It's still the right thing to do despite that, and perhaps in time (a lot of time) with a heck of a lot of education it might move the needle, but really America could ban guns and people that want them will still have them, still see it as their consitutional right to do so, and people that want to cause harm with them will find a way, sadly.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:35 - May 25 with 1104 viewsclive_baker

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:30 - May 25 by STYG

Even if we say Australia has had one mass shooting in 25 years, that still acts as a pretty good example of more can be done to stop the fact that America has more deadly shootings than days in a year.

Osmington is just 1 example. There are many more.

America also has many more mass shootings than either the UK or Aus did before introducing such strict rules, that's kind of my point. It's like rationing a bloke who drinks 7 pints per day to only having 6.5 and it largely working, then expecting the same results of a bloke currently necking 20, 3 bottles of wine and half a bottle of spirits.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:42 - May 25 with 1084 viewsSTYG

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:33 - May 25 by clive_baker

Quite, that's kind of my point. It's so culturally embedded into society, a society that truly is so fecked up, that I'm not too optimistic it would change a great deal now anyway. They're almost too far gone, which is why I think comparisons to the UK and Aus aren't really meaningful. It's still the right thing to do despite that, and perhaps in time (a lot of time) with a heck of a lot of education it might move the needle, but really America could ban guns and people that want them will still have them, still see it as their consitutional right to do so, and people that want to cause harm with them will find a way, sadly.

You're sadly correct, I fear.

They seem oblivious to the fact that they were given a right in the 1700's was it? When the country was literally formed and it's laughable against the world of today.

Can you imagine what UK laws were around 200-300 years ago and try and apply them now. America has barely moved on and unless you change their constitutional rights, which they'd riot over anyway, you can't do anything for future generations either.

What could you even do? They'd need to literally just say no more guns, have an amnesty and then issue heavy fines for anybody carrying them, followed by jail sentences and literally force people to hand over weapons. There would then be a massive backlash because in those early years and months, criminals would continue to use them to commit crimes and they'd be an uproar over how people could have protected themselves if they'd had a gun or there'd be a deterrent and they'd all just pick up guns again no doubt on the basis they couldn't all be arrested.

I genuinely can't see anyway they can stop it now. You'd have to be prepared for crime to rise and lots more people to die at the hands of criminals for as long as it took to sort and you'd have to be unwavering in that time against horrendous criticism and deaths that you'd feel were on you. Cannot happen.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:44 - May 25 with 1081 viewshype313

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:28 - May 25 by clive_baker

Right, lets forget the whole thing then, even though in the previous 18 years to 1996 there was on average 1 a year.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:51 - May 25 with 1058 viewsclive_baker

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:44 - May 25 by hype313

Right, lets forget the whole thing then, even though in the previous 18 years to 1996 there was on average 1 a year.

Who suggested that? Clearly didn't read my posts.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 11:42 - May 25 with 1003 viewsBlueBadger

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 09:58 - May 25 by waveneyblue

Not sure what the issue is here - I am calling you a Tvvat because quite frankly you are one.

So, if someone was to say, call Boris Johnson 'fat'.....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 11:45 - May 25 with 998 viewsHARRY10

It is the normalising of guns and their sale that shocks those from outside the US. Supermarkets with all manner of deadly weapons on open sale. The kind of display you might see with powered tools in B&Q.

The UK has gone along way with reducing smoking. From 1940's films where everyone smoked. Even the dog had 3 on the go laying on the pub floor. The healthy and successful image associated with fags has gone. No sports sponsorship.

You cannot even openly sell cigarettes. It is easier to buy a sex toy (so I have been told ) than fags. Cigarettes can no longer be bought from machines and they are no longer sold in 10s 0 and the there is ever tightening ip as to where you can smoke.

This gradual process has been hugely successful. Reducing smoking to around 20% (?). But that has happened against a background of public support. It will take an awful lot of persuasion and a very gradual incremental change with guns in the US.

The paranoia that exists will not disappear in the face of rational argument - hence the absurd arguments put forward. You would only need to have the thinking of a six year old, to realise how ridiculous us what they are putting forward.

Sadly there will again, not be a number of six year olds to put forward their thoughts. They have paid the price of 'gun freedom', as have so many who never had a say.

The world looks on America, in a mixture of horror and despair, wondering how long until the next one.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 11:58 - May 25 with 977 viewswaveneyblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 11:42 - May 25 by BlueBadger

So, if someone was to say, call Boris Johnson 'fat'.....

In isolation - its fine, we all move on

Obsessing over someone's weight to the point that they can't type his name without the accompanying insult - is very different

what is it that you find acceptable about that (oh, sorry that's your hilarious put down - my bad)
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 12:16 - May 25 with 952 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 10:06 - May 25 by Mookamoo

The one that is paid a lot of money by the gun lobbies not to. Plus the uncomfortable truth is a significant percentage of the family members who have just been affected will still be against extended gun restrictions.

I have seen a post this morning from one of the parents of a child they have just lost in the shooting asking 'why'. He is wearing a 'F*** Your Gun Free Zone' T-Shirt. I have no idea how legit the image is and even if he did post it, he probably didn't think about what he was wearing at the time.

Madness. When I was over there most of our friends were lefty liberal types and were very much for gun controls, but that obviously wasn't representative. But October was an 'interesting' month when the hunters descended. Trucks everywhere with racks of guns. They literally wanted to go around shooting on people's land next to houses. You posted signs on tree trunks and posts if you didn't want them to. I was amazed there weren't more accidents; I think there was only 1 accidental shooting that season in Maine, but that's one too many.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 12:21 - May 25 with 945 viewsIllinoisblue

In the US, that metric is defined as 4 or more people being shot.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 12:28 - May 25 with 929 viewsSTYG

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 11:45 - May 25 by HARRY10

It is the normalising of guns and their sale that shocks those from outside the US. Supermarkets with all manner of deadly weapons on open sale. The kind of display you might see with powered tools in B&Q.

The UK has gone along way with reducing smoking. From 1940's films where everyone smoked. Even the dog had 3 on the go laying on the pub floor. The healthy and successful image associated with fags has gone. No sports sponsorship.

You cannot even openly sell cigarettes. It is easier to buy a sex toy (so I have been told ) than fags. Cigarettes can no longer be bought from machines and they are no longer sold in 10s 0 and the there is ever tightening ip as to where you can smoke.

This gradual process has been hugely successful. Reducing smoking to around 20% (?). But that has happened against a background of public support. It will take an awful lot of persuasion and a very gradual incremental change with guns in the US.

The paranoia that exists will not disappear in the face of rational argument - hence the absurd arguments put forward. You would only need to have the thinking of a six year old, to realise how ridiculous us what they are putting forward.

Sadly there will again, not be a number of six year olds to put forward their thoughts. They have paid the price of 'gun freedom', as have so many who never had a say.

The world looks on America, in a mixture of horror and despair, wondering how long until the next one.

So much nail on head here.

We deal with the US a lot, so have frequent Zoom meetings and discuss all sorts and they all seem like completely normal, intelligent, kind people and then when we've met in person and guns have been mentioned they are totally desensitised to it, have the rationale of 6 year olds, like you say, and it's mind-blowing.

I'm pretty sure if I mentioned that smoking example to them they'd say it's an abuse of our freedoms etc, but we could point out that we had a thing, the thing was harming people, so we made the thing a lot less obvious and harder and now a lot less people do said thing. People will always be able to do it if they want, but the point is now just don't do it.

Guns would be the same. But you could never get it that far.
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 13:29 - May 25 with 888 viewsreusersfreekicks

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:44 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

They're stuck with it really, It's a classic rod for your own back situation. If they banned guns right now no one would give them in as they know that the motherfeckers still have them..

It's a bit like nuclear disarmament.

People can (rightly) go on at how mad it is but it's done and dusted now, I cannot see how it can change. People can also spout how nuts The Yanks are and I agree, I have been criticising Americans on here since the beginning of TWTD - but, ask yourself something and be honest. If you lived in USA and you knew that your friendly house breaker was likely to be carrying, and that you, as a law abiding citizen could have one in the house as self defence - would you pack heat in the house baby?

It's a toughie?

No it's not - I wouldn't
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 13:53 - May 25 with 871 viewsBiGDonnie

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 13:29 - May 25 by reusersfreekicks

No it's not - I wouldn't

I definitely would.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:25 - May 25 with 841 viewsJ2BLUE

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 13:53 - May 25 by BiGDonnie

I definitely would.

Me too. Kept securely locked away in my bedroom. I wouldn't carry it around.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:36 - May 25 with 826 viewsBiGDonnie

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:25 - May 25 by J2BLUE

I don't think I'll ever go to America again, and I love a bit of Vegas.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:40 - May 25 with 823 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:25 - May 25 by J2BLUE

This is part of the problem though. If everyone has this attitude it just perpetuates the myth of gun ownership for self-defence. I wonder how often someone really gets a shot off by the time they have unlocked the box, loaded the weapon etc. Is someone more likely to shoot if they see you with or going for a gun?

The solution is to have less guns and thus eliminate the feeling of needing a gun in the first place. That won't happen without a huge change in both public and political attitudes.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:45 - May 25 with 807 viewsJ2BLUE

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:40 - May 25 by StokieBlue

This is part of the problem though. If everyone has this attitude it just perpetuates the myth of gun ownership for self-defence. I wonder how often someone really gets a shot off by the time they have unlocked the box, loaded the weapon etc. Is someone more likely to shoot if they see you with or going for a gun?

The solution is to have less guns and thus eliminate the feeling of needing a gun in the first place. That won't happen without a huge change in both public and political attitudes.

SB

Quite a bit of different between a handgun and an assault rifle.

Truly impaired.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:48 - May 25 with 799 viewsHARRY10

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 13:53 - May 25 by BiGDonnie

I definitely would.

Of course normal folk will point out that burglars etc would not be armed, were they not expecting to meet armed people - much as with drivers

How many drivers are shot in the US compared to 'western' countries.

Sure there are armed police in the UK, but those weapons are not seen unless they are facing someone armed, or have good reason to believe the person is armed.

The overwhelming majority of citizens refrain from committing crimes because the police/people are visibly carrying arms. They refrain because they see it as wrong.

And allowing everyone to arm themselves does NOT prevent crime. It just escalates crime into killing.

I have no doubt that shop lifting will increase as essentials become more expensive. Would equipping shop security with assault rifles reduce that activity, or even address the cause ?

The real danger is not in equipping people with guns, it is giving them stupid answers/replies to justify something that is inherently stupid, as in the bleat, 'it is not guns which kill it is people'.

Quite breathtaking in its stupidity.....'it is not matches that burn things, it is children." Those with an IQ into double figures can work out what the solution is there.

Start by amending the amendment to the 'privilege to bear arms'. Remove the right to carry a gun outside of the house. Stop selling something that can kill multiple people in seconds. Stop selling guns in supermarkets.

And in the meantime take a look at your failing third world healthcare system that dispenses opiates, instead of treatment. The daily death toll (100) far exceeds the daily number killed (murder) by guns, by close on twice the amount.

Maybe when billions are not wasted on insurance salesmen, administrators lawyers etc - and are diverted to medical staff, some of the paranoia might begin to lessen. A gun might make you feel you are able to protect yourself from some imagined fear. But it won't save you from crippling medical bills.

I'm not sure those not living with the daily reality are aware of what it does to many in the US. And the answer is so simple.

Maybe it's because so many in the US are also simple that they actually fight against it - any wonder, by the time you have fine to bed tonight, another 60 plus people in the US will have been murdered by guns.

Truly disturbing
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:49 - May 25 with 797 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:45 - May 25 by J2BLUE

Quite a bit of different between a handgun and an assault rifle.

Not sure that's really a valid justification. You've also not addressed any of my points with regards to whether a locked gun in a room is really of any benefit.

16 kids and 1 adult were killed, 15 kids were injured in Dunblane with handguns.

In the end any gun is a lethal weapon. Saying handguns are different to assault rifles is true on a semantic level but false on an application level - both will kill someone or many people just fine.

SB
[Post edited 25 May 2022 14:50]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:52 - May 25 with 786 viewsJ2BLUE

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:49 - May 25 by StokieBlue

Not sure that's really a valid justification. You've also not addressed any of my points with regards to whether a locked gun in a room is really of any benefit.

16 kids and 1 adult were killed, 15 kids were injured in Dunblane with handguns.

In the end any gun is a lethal weapon. Saying handguns are different to assault rifles is true on a semantic level but false on an application level - both will kill someone or many people just fine.

SB

I would think of it more for night time defence if needed. Even then it would depend on the state laws. I think it could be of use. I'd be all for a UK style approach to guns but it's not going to happen.

Truly impaired.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:56 - May 25 with 772 viewsSTYG

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 14:49 - May 25 by StokieBlue

SB

I am imagining that most people that break into your house to steal your stuff or murder you, if you're that paranoid, will do it when it's dark, probably when you are sleeping.

I can't imagine too many responsible gun owners sleep with a holster over their pyjamas. They certainly don't have the gun in a drawer or under their pillow.

So presumably they are asking the nice intruder to wait a second whilst they go and fetch their securely locked weapon. Presumably if you are a responsible gun owner and get woken to find intruders, there's not too much time to go and get and load your safely stowed guns that you now need to defend yourself.

As you say, how much benefit?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024