Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£3,000,000 for Woolfenden 08:39 - Jan 14 with 6874 viewsSitfcB

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10731814/sheff-utd-double-transfer-cobba

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:24 - Jan 14 with 866 viewsrickw

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:13 - Jan 14 by SomethingBlue

Ominous that this is going around and I fear the worst, to be honest.

Great if we can hold our nerve, get up and then sell him for four times that (because it would be four times that) a year from now. Hope that is exactly what happens. But not necessarily that simple, especially with the promotion situation currently looking precarious.

Didn't Webster just go from a 3.5m player to a 25m player after one good season in the Championship?

Selling now for £3m seems incredibly short sighted....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:24 - Jan 14 with 863 viewschicoazul

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:11 - Jan 14 by xrayspecs

Woolfenden's current contract runs for another two and a half years (summer 2022) with the club having a further 12 months option on top so no real pressure for us to cash in at this stage.

There is no way any League 1 club can fend of a PL club coming in for one of their players.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:25 - Jan 14 with 858 viewsWD19

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 08:39 - Jan 14 by RRB

No chance we'd sell for 3 million.

I suspect anywhere near that would be plenty high enough in reality. Contract or not, saying to a player that you can't go to the Prem and quadruple your money, you have to stay in the 3rd Division instead, rarely ends well. Major add-ons and loan back options need to be high on the agenda as it is the best way of making the situation least worst.
£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:25 - Jan 14 with 861 viewsNthQldITFC

There's no realistic scenario where it makes sense to sell Woolfenden now:
He is a crucial player, right at the core of a promotion chasing team.
His market value now is a fraction of what it will be if we are promoted.
His market value now is in all probability less than it will be at the end of the season if we are not promoted.
Any direct replacement is highly unlikely to be anywhere near as effective immediately.
Any new players will perhaps bring further disruption to a team which is perhaps just settling down well.
I might well throw my toys out of my pram.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:27 - Jan 14 with 849 viewschicoazul

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:25 - Jan 14 by NthQldITFC

His market value now is in all probability less than it will be at the end of the season if we are not promoted.
Any direct replacement is highly unlikely to be anywhere near as effective immediately.
Any new players will perhaps bring further disruption to a team which is perhaps just settling down well.

All this is true but it's also true that if he wants to go he will go.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:28 - Jan 14 with 835 viewsBigManBlue

Sadly, a big fee for a L1 club. Hopefully we won't be at the end of the year though, and then it would be a pittance compared to what we would be looking at.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:30 - Jan 14 with 836 viewshampstead_blue

The sad part is that because of the huge disparity in income Prem clubs do this often at that price just to 'have a look' and sell on at a huge profit in 12/18 months time.

Annoying. Really annoying.

Grrrrrrr

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:35 - Jan 14 with 795 viewsNthQldITFC

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:27 - Jan 14 by chicoazul

All this is true but it's also true that if he wants to go he will go.

If he's smart, he'll bide his time here, playing and developing pretty much every week. Same next season in the Championship (with or without us), and then same in the Premier League year after.

Login to get fewer ads

They'll have a very good idea what price.... on 09:42 - Jan 14 with 768 viewsBloots

....we'll take for him and £3m seems to be in the right ball park, chuck in some addons and a hefty sell on percentage and it will essentially come down to the player.

He'll jump at the chance, and you can't really blame him.

He fits the profile for Sheff Utd perfectly, if they really want him they'll sign him.

This is life for a 3rd Division club sadly.

BCWYWF.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:42 - Jan 14 with 760 viewschicoazul

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:35 - Jan 14 by NthQldITFC

If he's smart, he'll bide his time here, playing and developing pretty much every week. Same next season in the Championship (with or without us), and then same in the Premier League year after.

Not sure I agree. The smart thing arguably would be to go with the bird in the hand if that's what it is and accept a jump 2 leagues to a much bigger club where he will earn at least X3 his current pay.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:43 - Jan 14 with 758 viewsGuthrum

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:25 - Jan 14 by NthQldITFC

Problem is, you're only looking at it from one perspective - that of an Ipswich Town fan.

For the player, it's a chance to leap two divisions, massively increase his pay-packet, possibly play in Europe next season. How do you keep a player motivated if you point-blank deny him that?

For Ipswich Town the club, it's a chance to get some funds in. The differential in market value between now and June may not be all that much, given January price inflation. Also, the real big money transfer is not going to be this one, but the one which comes after, of which we will still get a slice of the profit via a sell-on clause. The manager may have given assurances that disruption to the team would be minimal, or that a replacement is lined up, or that we can still finish top two even without Woolfenden.

For SheffU, they now have the financial clout to just keep upping the offer until they get what they want.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:45 - Jan 14 with 751 viewsGuthrum

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:30 - Jan 14 by hampstead_blue

The sad part is that because of the huge disparity in income Prem clubs do this often at that price just to 'have a look' and sell on at a huge profit in 12/18 months time.

Annoying. Really annoying.

Grrrrrrr

It's their version of "having a punt" on a lower-division prospect, but paying millions rather than £10k.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:45 - Jan 14 with 740 viewsBluefish

If he is smart he will go to Sheffield United. There probably aren't many better opportunities than that. His pay will jump enormously, his stock in the game will jump enormously and his chances of playing at the biggest level will jump enormously. The only down side is regular football but he would have the chance to train with better players every day ( Mcgoldrick ) if he them needs to play he can easily go on loan.

Sadly this is the problem with being a 3rd division side and it is a shame that some people virtually celebrated it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:47 - Jan 14 with 729 viewsheavyweight

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:25 - Jan 14 by WD19

I suspect anywhere near that would be plenty high enough in reality. Contract or not, saying to a player that you can't go to the Prem and quadruple your money, you have to stay in the 3rd Division instead, rarely ends well. Major add-ons and loan back options need to be high on the agenda as it is the best way of making the situation least worst.

While I agree with this , from the players point of view...

If he went now with a loan back till the end of the season - would he realistically expect to get many minutes in the Prem next season ? - In all likelyhood it would be a loan to a Championship club for the 2020-21 season.

I suspect he will be gone in June whether we are promoted or not , possibly with a loan back to us if we are in the Championship - but would that be something in our interest ?

Ipswich don't really have a reputation for standing in a players way if they want out - & its not as if this will be he one & only chance to progress.
Ha! If he's smart he'd..... on 09:48 - Jan 14 with 724 viewsBloots

.....call a cab to take himself there today!

A chance to play for a club in the "best" league in world football, that places huge emphasis on playing through their centre backs along with a guarantee that you'll earn 4, 5 or 6 times what you are currently earning.

Frankly he'd be a total div if he turned it down.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:49 - Jan 14 with 708 viewsGarv

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:21 - Jan 14 by Bluefish

We held our nerve on McGoldrick and Murphy, neither worked out that well really

They were a combination of getting on and injury prone. Woolfenden is just starting out.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Ha! If he's smart he'd..... on 09:50 - Jan 14 with 703 viewsitfcjoe

Ha! If he's smart he'd..... on 09:48 - Jan 14 by Bloots

A chance to play for a club in the "best" league in world football, that places huge emphasis on playing through their centre backs along with a guarantee that you'll earn 4, 5 or 6 times what you are currently earning.

Plus if they get into Europe next year, will be loads of games to play

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:50 - Jan 14 with 702 viewsGuthrum

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 08:48 - Jan 14 by RRB

Would be stupid because if we get promoted and he does a decent job in the championship he'll be worth 10 million in a years time.

There are two "ifs" in that scenario, whereas this (if accurate) is a concrete offer on the table now.

Also, what if he sustained a Dozzell/Bishop-type injury putting him on the sidelines for a season? The rosy future blown away instantly.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:51 - Jan 14 with 694 viewsBluefish

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:49 - Jan 14 by Garv

They were a combination of getting on and injury prone. Woolfenden is just starting out.

They were both in their prime when we could have sold.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Ha! If he's smart he'd..... on 09:52 - Jan 14 with 684 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ha! If he's smart he'd..... on 09:48 - Jan 14 by Bloots

Agreed, sadly

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:52 - Jan 14 with 682 viewsNthQldITFC

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:43 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

Problem is, you're only looking at it from one perspective - that of an Ipswich Town fan.

For the player, it's a chance to leap two divisions, massively increase his pay-packet, possibly play in Europe next season. How do you keep a player motivated if you point-blank deny him that?

For Ipswich Town the club, it's a chance to get some funds in. The differential in market value between now and June may not be all that much, given January price inflation. Also, the real big money transfer is not going to be this one, but the one which comes after, of which we will still get a slice of the profit via a sell-on clause. The manager may have given assurances that disruption to the team would be minimal, or that a replacement is lined up, or that we can still finish top two even without Woolfenden.

For SheffU, they now have the financial clout to just keep upping the offer until they get what they want.

I don't disagree with you and chicoazul, I just *hope* money is less of a driving factor to him and the club for the moment, (as opposed to career development and promotion). I do recognise that these views may not be entirely realistic!

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:53 - Jan 14 with 675 viewsPinewoodblue

Guess we have already signed his replacement. Do you think we could get Billy Sharpe on loan until the end of the season, with nil contribution to wages, as part of the deal?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:54 - Jan 14 with 669 viewsKieran_Knows

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:53 - Jan 14 by Pinewoodblue

Guess we have already signed his replacement. Do you think we could get Billy Sharpe on loan until the end of the season, with nil contribution to wages, as part of the deal?

Sharp has already rejected the chance to go to Championship clubs on loan, so he's hardly going to come here.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:54 - Jan 14 with 670 viewsPrideOfTheEast

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:24 - Jan 14 by rickw

Didn't Webster just go from a 3.5m player to a 25m player after one good season in the Championship?

Selling now for £3m seems incredibly short sighted....

We got significantly more than that for Webster all in though didn't we. But I agree we should have got even more.

There will be chaos on here if Woolfie goes, largely from the same people who said going down would be a good thing. No L1 club would be able to stop a player going to a premier league team if a decent offer is on the table.
He can only play football.... on 09:55 - Jan 14 with 658 viewsBloots

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:53 - Jan 14 by Pinewoodblue

....in Yorkshire.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024