Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£3,000,000 for Woolfenden 08:39 - Jan 14 with 6875 viewsSitfcB

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10731814/sheff-utd-double-transfer-cobba

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:04 - Jan 14 with 1153 viewsxrayspecs

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:24 - Jan 14 by chicoazul

There is no way any League 1 club can fend of a PL club coming in for one of their players.

Er, there is. We say no.
£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:06 - Jan 14 with 1146 viewsPrideOfTheEast

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 10:32 - Jan 14 by Parsley

Playing devils advocate a bit here but people saying quite rightly that we could get more for him if we get promoted back to the Championship and he does well there. Surely Sheffield Utd will also know that and that will be all the more reason for them to buy now than potentially in the summer? The numbers are all speculative but say his value is £3m and they pay over the odds now to something like £4-5m we'd probably take it (and hopefully reinvest) whereas if Sheffield don't 'overpay' now then they might be looking at something more like £10m in the summer. They could loan him to a championship team and have a more developed player ready to go for next season.

I could see a loan back to us scenario with Sheff Utd just getting in early to buy him.
£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:08 - Jan 14 with 1136 viewscrossyitfc

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:04 - Jan 14 by xrayspecs

Er, there is. We say no.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:08 - Jan 14 with 1134 viewsFixed_It

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 10:55 - Jan 14 by Bluefish

I think you need to step away from football and read it back. What you and I think about the club means nothing, what ME thinks means everything so it is very important to the club. He doesn't have to put anything in and we could just run at cost neutral like normal businesses and many lower league clubs do. 3 million could half his losses that is significant

People forget that we have quite a few sell-ons which we cashed in on fairly recently and these will offset losses to a dgree. They were not included in last year's accounts so will soften the blow this year - provding we get promoted that is.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:11 - Jan 14 with 1125 viewsSuperfrans

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:24 - Jan 14 by chicoazul

There is no way any League 1 club can fend of a PL club coming in for one of their players.

The club *can* turn an offer like this down (assuming there is, in fact, an offer from SheffU - which is a big assumption).

The calculation for the club (and the player) will be whether he will be a more valuable asset in the summer, when he has another 20 games under his belt, may be the lynchpin of a promotion squad and is another six months older. This will allow the club to potentially demand a bigger fee and for him to get a bigger salary - or stay with us in the Championship and further build his reputation... and stay in his hometown, of course.

Much of the above depends on the club convincing the player (and his agent) that waiting is the best strategy, of course.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:13 - Jan 14 with 1116 viewsBluefish

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:08 - Jan 14 by Fixed_It

People forget that we have quite a few sell-ons which we cashed in on fairly recently and these will offset losses to a dgree. They were not included in last year's accounts so will soften the blow this year - provding we get promoted that is.

We spent them on having Collin Quaner for a few months

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:19 - Jan 14 with 1099 viewschicoazul

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:11 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

The club *can* turn an offer like this down (assuming there is, in fact, an offer from SheffU - which is a big assumption).

The calculation for the club (and the player) will be whether he will be a more valuable asset in the summer, when he has another 20 games under his belt, may be the lynchpin of a promotion squad and is another six months older. This will allow the club to potentially demand a bigger fee and for him to get a bigger salary - or stay with us in the Championship and further build his reputation... and stay in his hometown, of course.

Much of the above depends on the club convincing the player (and his agent) that waiting is the best strategy, of course.

Doing so would do two things IMVHO. One would be to massively irritate Woolf himself and see his form suffer. The other would be to make any young player who is any good think long and hard about ever signing a contract with us. Whether you like it or not and I certainly don't, contracts are often signed either on an implicit understanding or a contractual fact that if a bid at a certain £ level from a certain playing level for eg the Prem comes in then it will be accepted. Making Woolf stay if he wants to go would do way more harm than good. Agents would tell youngsters to avoid Ipswich.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:25 - Jan 14 with 1088 viewsSuperfrans

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:19 - Jan 14 by chicoazul

Doing so would do two things IMVHO. One would be to massively irritate Woolf himself and see his form suffer. The other would be to make any young player who is any good think long and hard about ever signing a contract with us. Whether you like it or not and I certainly don't, contracts are often signed either on an implicit understanding or a contractual fact that if a bid at a certain £ level from a certain playing level for eg the Prem comes in then it will be accepted. Making Woolf stay if he wants to go would do way more harm than good. Agents would tell youngsters to avoid Ipswich.

Of course. There is the huge caveat that Woolfenden / his agent would have to be supportive. And Evans would be of this mindset too - he learned this from preventing McGoldrick from going to Leicester, as he showed in letting Waghorn, Garner and Webster go when the opportunities arose.

I think the difference between us is that you don't seem to think that would be possible, I think it most certainly *would* be possible.

Woolfenden is from Ipswich, surrounding by long-standing team-mates, has only just turned 21 and this opportunity will arise again in the summer - whether we go up or not. And, with those few months more under his belt, possibly a promotion winning defender, he would be able to command bigger salary etc. Other, bigger clubs might even be in for him.

It is all about maximising this opportunity to move. And a smart person never accepts the first offer.

Login to get fewer ads

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:26 - Jan 14 with 1083 viewsBluefish

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:25 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

Of course. There is the huge caveat that Woolfenden / his agent would have to be supportive. And Evans would be of this mindset too - he learned this from preventing McGoldrick from going to Leicester, as he showed in letting Waghorn, Garner and Webster go when the opportunities arose.

I think the difference between us is that you don't seem to think that would be possible, I think it most certainly *would* be possible.

Woolfenden is from Ipswich, surrounding by long-standing team-mates, has only just turned 21 and this opportunity will arise again in the summer - whether we go up or not. And, with those few months more under his belt, possibly a promotion winning defender, he would be able to command bigger salary etc. Other, bigger clubs might even be in for him.

It is all about maximising this opportunity to move. And a smart person never accepts the first offer.

If he doesn't want to leave Suffolk I expect norwich would be very happy and capable of giving us a few million for him

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:30 - Jan 14 with 1075 viewsSuperfrans

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:26 - Jan 14 by Bluefish

If he doesn't want to leave Suffolk I expect norwich would be very happy and capable of giving us a few million for him

I'd like to think that a player from Ipswich who has been with us since the age of 11 would think twice about going there...

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:32 - Jan 14 with 1069 viewsBluefish

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:30 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

I'd like to think that a player from Ipswich who has been with us since the age of 11 would think twice about going there...

It is a job for them

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:35 - Jan 14 with 1060 viewsSuperfrans

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:32 - Jan 14 by Bluefish

It is a job for them

Less so players who have come through the ranks than those who have transferred in. It will be different for the likes of Woolfenden, Dozzell, Downes than (for instance) Norwood, Keane, Huws etc...

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:38 - Jan 14 with 1060 viewsDyland

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 10:51 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

This is entirely speculative, it seems to me. Any of us could have written this piece.

The question to ask is not what Sheff Utd might be willing to offer, more what we might be willing to accept.

The only other consideration beyond that is whether this is likely to turn Woolfie's head. And everyone says he's so laid back as to almost be lying down, so it seems unlikely it would distract him.

We'll have to accept a significantly lower fee as a third division club than we would as a Championship club. Same goes for all our decent crop of kids.

Relegation has been a breath of fresh air! Gmpf.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:40 - Jan 14 with 1047 viewsHerbivore

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:35 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

Less so players who have come through the ranks than those who have transferred in. It will be different for the likes of Woolfenden, Dozzell, Downes than (for instance) Norwood, Keane, Huws etc...

I think that's pretty naive. They are professional footballers and have been groomed into that way of living from a young age. They aren't fans. If Norwich came in for Woolfy or Dozzer and offered to quadruple their wages they'd go at the drop of a hat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:49 - Jan 14 with 1036 viewschicoazul

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:25 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

Anything is *possible* but you have to balance probabilities. I have to say I think your points about him being from Ipswich playing with his mates being young etc make you seem naive to what what football is now. You're asking him to gamble with his future without seeing that the gamble for him would be *staying* not going. And it's not hard to see that any smart person as you put it, would grab with both hands at the first opportunity the chance to massively increase ones wages profile playing level and opportunities for European and maybe just maybe International football.
We would have much more chance of retaining Woolf if we were in the Championship.
Of course, needless to say I hope this is all paper talk and nothing comes of it btw.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:58 - Jan 14 with 1013 viewsSuperfrans

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:49 - Jan 14 by chicoazul

Anything is *possible* but you have to balance probabilities. I have to say I think your points about him being from Ipswich playing with his mates being young etc make you seem naive to what what football is now. You're asking him to gamble with his future without seeing that the gamble for him would be *staying* not going. And it's not hard to see that any smart person as you put it, would grab with both hands at the first opportunity the chance to massively increase ones wages profile playing level and opportunities for European and maybe just maybe International football.
We would have much more chance of retaining Woolf if we were in the Championship.
Of course, needless to say I hope this is all paper talk and nothing comes of it btw.

I'm not asking him anything. I'm simply suggesting that his local connections *may* be factor - and obviously are not going to be a factor for a player with no connection to the area.

I think we broadly agree, so not sure why you seem to be trying to have a disagreement.

#shrugs

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:59 - Jan 14 with 1011 viewsSuperfrans

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:40 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

I think that's pretty naive. They are professional footballers and have been groomed into that way of living from a young age. They aren't fans. If Norwich came in for Woolfy or Dozzer and offered to quadruple their wages they'd go at the drop of a hat.

"Less so" are the key words in my post.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 12:04 - Jan 14 with 1000 viewschicoazul

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:58 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

I'm not asking him anything. I'm simply suggesting that his local connections *may* be factor - and obviously are not going to be a factor for a player with no connection to the area.

I think we broadly agree, so not sure why you seem to be trying to have a disagreement.

#shrugs

And i'm simply suggesting these "local connections" are irrelevant.

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 12:06 - Jan 14 with 987 viewsHerbivore

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 11:59 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

"Less so" are the key words in my post.

I saw those words and still disagree. It makes no difference to them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 12:08 - Jan 14 with 981 viewsChrisd

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 09:10 - Jan 14 by Bluefish

Which young players do you mean that we havent got great fees for?

Historically and I should've taken the 'young' term out too and said our players generally.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 12:26 - Jan 14 with 952 viewsMaySixth

Gutted but good luck to the lad - going to be a top top player

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 12:51 - Jan 14 with 920 viewsGeoffSentence

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 08:39 - Jan 14 by RRB

No chance we'd sell for 3 million.

Has everyone missed that the other player they are interested in is a Belgian International and his own club values him at £7.5M.

If they can get a Belgian International for 7.5M they won't be paying anywhere near that for a league one youngster.

We may or may not sell him, but if we do it won't be for much more than this £3M quoted in the article.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 13:04 - Jan 14 with 905 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't believe a word in the Sun but hypothetically, can you just stop paying your ST direct debits? I understand our position and that we're a selling club but if we sold him now for £3m it's a massive slap in the face to the fans. His value is only going one way and it costs us millions each season we spend down here. It's a no brainer to turn that offer down if that really is the case. We are three points away from the top of the league. Every part of the gamble seems to be on our side.

If he goes we should hold out for £5m+, a loan back for the rest of the season and an automatic season long loan if we go up.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 13:08 - Jan 14 with 889 viewsBramidan

£3,000,000 for Woolfenden on 10:51 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

This is entirely speculative, it seems to me. Any of us could have written this piece.

The question to ask is not what Sheff Utd might be willing to offer, more what we might be willing to accept.

The only other consideration beyond that is whether this is likely to turn Woolfie's head. And everyone says he's so laid back as to almost be lying down, so it seems unlikely it would distract him.

Surely if you were the player you would want to grab the chance immediately?
Vastly increased salary and chance to play in the PL.
Against what, stay with a league 1 team and play more games, get more experience etc etc.
Could get clogged, career over.
Go for it I'd say.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024