Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour Manifesto 11:56 - Nov 21 with 23204 viewsZedRodgers

Published: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-20

No, not at the moment

Labour Manifesto on 13:41 - Nov 21 with 4929 viewsDanTheMan

Labour Manifesto on 12:43 - Nov 21 by Pinewoodblue

Productivity is going to increase by 20% Jeremy says so. Not sure how the NHS can secure such an increase in performance. Going to be difficult to find all the extra staff they will need.

Last time I heard this discussed, they ruled out the NHS working under the same conditions for obvious reasons.

However, there are a number of studies that show that productivity doesn't correlate linearly with hours done.

e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/04/microsoft-japan-four-day-work

Not going to say it works for every job and sector but it can work.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Labour Manifesto on 13:47 - Nov 21 with 4911 viewsBigManBlue

Labour Manifesto on 13:41 - Nov 21 by DanTheMan

Last time I heard this discussed, they ruled out the NHS working under the same conditions for obvious reasons.

However, there are a number of studies that show that productivity doesn't correlate linearly with hours done.

e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/04/microsoft-japan-four-day-work

Not going to say it works for every job and sector but it can work.

Very true - I went through a phase of working 100+ hours a week in the first year of starting my business. What I accomplished in the first 50 I probably wiped out with the second lot...

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Labour Manifesto on 13:47 - Nov 21 with 4910 viewsfactual_blue

Labour Manifesto on 13:30 - Nov 21 by brazil1982

I disagree - I don't want any government interference / influence on our game.

Best then to exempt football clubs from health and safety legislation, employment legislation, the requirement to submit accounts etc etc.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Labour Manifesto on 13:48 - Nov 21 with 4914 viewsRyorry

Thanks. Did you happen to see if McDonnell's proposal to allow sitting tenants in privately rented accom to buy that accom off their landlords at a lower than market price was included in the manifesto? Am to busy to read it through atm.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Labour Manifesto on 14:02 - Nov 21 with 4875 viewsGaryCooper

Labour Manifesto on 12:19 - Nov 21 by monytowbray

A 32 hour working week is needed. The 40 hour week is a dated concept based on people getting married young and having a stay-at-home wife to do all the life admin/look after the kids. That’s not the norm now and no wonder so many people are tired/stressed/depressed finding time in the week to do work, life admin and find free time to relax/enjoy themselves.

100,000 new houses, brickies, plumbers, sparks, carpenters, groundworkers etc, 32 hours a week?
Labour Manifesto on 14:03 - Nov 21 with 4875 viewsPinewoodblue

Labour Manifesto on 13:48 - Nov 21 by Ryorry

Thanks. Did you happen to see if McDonnell's proposal to allow sitting tenants in privately rented accom to buy that accom off their landlords at a lower than market price was included in the manifesto? Am to busy to read it through atm.

When Corbyn rounded off he gave a list of groups of people who would benefit he included Tennant's so assume it does.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour Manifesto on 14:05 - Nov 21 with 4857 viewsStokieBlue

Labour Manifesto on 14:03 - Nov 21 by Pinewoodblue

When Corbyn rounded off he gave a list of groups of people who would benefit he included Tennant's so assume it does.

I don't think it's in there. There was a lot of new rights for tennants around contracts, maximum rents etc but I don't think there was right-to-buy private property.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour Manifesto on 14:05 - Nov 21 with 4855 viewsGaryCooper

Labour Manifesto on 12:55 - Nov 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed the long hours culture is a peculiarly British thing.

I never did quite understand the stand by the clocking machine for 5 minutes before clocking out until they started docking my pay quarter of an hour every time for clocking out 2 minutes early.

There were plenty of times when a company I worked for were short of work and the work was made to extend to the time people were working (indeed, scandalously by some to create overtime). There were other times where there was a lot of work and people pushed it out at a rate we could not have sustained continuously.

There is always flexibility. I would expect some drop in basic monthly/annual rate for fewer hours in many sectors but that could be made up for with an increased option for overtime at overtime rates.

Can anyone recall how the country coped with going from a 7-day to a 6-day week or from 6- to a 5-? They said the companies wouldn't be able to afford a minimum wage and it would mean those jobs simply wouldn't get done. Not sure that panned out how they said either.

When was it a 7 day working week?
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 14:06]
Login to get fewer ads

Labour Manifesto on 14:07 - Nov 21 with 4843 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour Manifesto on 12:38 - Nov 21 by lowhouseblue

so you're going to get 20% productivity across the board - including labour intensive sectors. that's quite an assumption. and all of that productivity growth is going to go on reducing hours, rather than people taking more money home (and that's after a decade of stagnant earnings)?

i have some magic beans that you might like to buy?

Lowhouse doesn't like the Labour manifesto, shocker. Never saw that coming.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour Manifesto on 14:07 - Nov 21 with 4848 viewsRyorry

No, that's not necessarily so - R5l mentioned only they'd cap rents in PRS.

Labour Manifesto on 14:15 - Nov 21 with 4833 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I was shocked to hear the Green fella say that aircraft fuel is given a tax break.....anything in there about that?

https://www.aef.org.uk/issues/economics/taxation/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Labour Manifesto on 14:16 - Nov 21 with 4830 viewsJ2BLUE

Damn there is some high level bribery in that document. Fair play.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Labour Manifesto on 14:16 - Nov 21 with 4820 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour Manifesto on 12:48 - Nov 21 by lowhouseblue

and a million more people are going to be working in green industries, apparently. given that we have full employment it's not clear who is going to do the jobs those 1 million people currently do. productivity growth again I guess.

We have full employment?! When did this happen?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour Manifesto on 14:17 - Nov 21 with 4824 viewsmonytowbray

Labour Manifesto on 14:02 - Nov 21 by GaryCooper

100,000 new houses, brickies, plumbers, sparks, carpenters, groundworkers etc, 32 hours a week?

If that's your logic then every 4 labours will equal another job for someone else. Great for productivity and the economy.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour Manifesto on 14:18 - Nov 21 with 4815 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour Manifesto on 12:50 - Nov 21 by Jon_456

Dont get me wrong i'm not saying it wouldn't work at all, and i'm sure for some people it would be beneficial. However for a lot of businesses and people it wouldn't work, but I guess it depends what industry you're in.

As someone has suggested already, would they be willing to take a 20% pay cut for working less hours? Judging by how so many people struggle to make ends meet in this country, surely they cant afford to take a pay cut? And if the overtime is on offer then what would be the point of going down to 32 hours only to work 40 hours anyway..

I can see the benefits in some cases but i think it needs to be an optional thing rather than a set way (assuming thats what Labour are offering?).

The benefit is that it's a choice.

Labour Manifesto on 14:19 - Nov 21 with 4821 viewsRyorry

Labour Manifesto on 13:48 - Nov 21 by Ryorry

Just had a quick search - is on p77 if anyone else is looking!

Thankfully, not in there - this is what is -

"Private Renters

More than 11 million people rent from a
private landlord and many of them are
at the sharp end of the housing crisis.
We will take urgent action to protect
private renters through rent controls,
open-ended tenancies, and new,
binding minimum standards.
Labour will stop runaway rents by
capping them with inflation, and give
cities powers to cap rents further.
We will give renters the security they
need to make their rented housing a
home, with new open-ended tenancies
to stop unfair, ‘no fault’ evictions. We
will make sure every property is up to
scratch with new minimum standards,
enforced through nationwide licensing
and tougher sanctions for landlords who
flout the rules. We will fund new renters’
unions in every part of the country — to
allow renters to organise and defend
their rights.
80 IT’S TIME FOR REAL CHANGE
We will get rid of the discriminatory
rules that require landlords to check
people’s immigration status or that
allow them to exclude people on
housing benefit. We will give councils
new powers to regulate short-term lets
through companies such as Airbnb.

Homelessness

No one should sleep without a roof
over their head in one of the richest
countries in the world. But under the
Tories, the number of people sleeping
rough has more than doubled.
Over 125,000 children are now living in
temporary accommodation, without a
home to call their own — or the space
they need to thrive. Labour will tackle
the root causes of rising homelessness
with more affordable homes and
stronger rights for renters.
Labour will end rough sleeping within
five years, with a national plan driven by
a prime minister-led taskforce. We will
expand and upgrade hostels, turning
them into places where people can
turn their lives around. We will make
available 8,000 additional homes for
people with a history of rough sleeping.
We will tackle the wider causes of
homelessness, raising the Local
Housing Allowance in line with the 30th
percentile of local rents, and earmarking
an additional £1 billion a year for
councils’ homelessness services.
We will bring in a new national levy on
second homes used as holiday homes
to help deal with the homelessness
crisis, so that those who have done well
from the housing market pay a bit more
to help those with no home."

No problem with any of that, indeed I really like most of it - except the bit about "open-ended tenancies" - many private landlords have legitimate reasons for wanting/needing a fixed term, including requiring the accom for their own use at a future date. Legislation is already in place for "no-fault evictions" and is already proving a massive headache for landlords faced with the problem of some tenants behaving extremely badly.

*edited for layout clarity
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 14:22]

Labour Manifesto on 14:19 - Nov 21 with 4814 viewsPinewoodblue

Labour Manifesto on 14:15 - Nov 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

I was shocked to hear the Green fella say that aircraft fuel is given a tax break.....anything in there about that?

https://www.aef.org.uk/issues/economics/taxation/

Don't think there is any tax on aviation fuel.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour Manifesto on 14:21 - Nov 21 with 4809 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour Manifesto on 12:19 - Nov 21 by monytowbray

A 32 hour working week is needed. The 40 hour week is a dated concept based on people getting married young and having a stay-at-home wife to do all the life admin/look after the kids. That’s not the norm now and no wonder so many people are tired/stressed/depressed finding time in the week to do work, life admin and find free time to relax/enjoy themselves.

Balls to that. I’m quite happy with 12 working hours and 28 hours on TWTD.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour Manifesto on 14:22 - Nov 21 with 4794 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour Manifesto on 13:01 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

No objection in principle to either a 4 day week or 32 hour week across 5 days, I do think however that your post is pretty biased towards your own circumstances which are office-centric:

"How much work do most people get done after 1pm on a Friday"

Depends entirely on the job. What if you are needed on a Saturday? What if you're a GP or nurse? What if you drive a train? Hard to get more efficient driving a train, bus or lorry. What if you are a teacher? Will kids go to school for 4 days a week? What if you need to be at work when an international market is open?

"No one lied on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time in the office."

This is definitely true and I know you are using office as a colloquialism but if we take it as specific not everyone works in a 9 to 5 office situation, this is the point. You've framed it entirely within your own experience.

As I said, I've got absolutely no problem with the concept but it's much more complicated than is being represented here and requires good planning and thought.

SB

You think Labour haven't thought about these things?

Labour Manifesto on 14:24 - Nov 21 with 4790 viewsJ2BLUE

Labour Manifesto on 14:21 - Nov 21 by Swansea_Blue

Balls to that. I’m quite happy with 12 working hours and 28 hours on TWTD.

We beg you to swap them around

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Labour Manifesto on 14:26 - Nov 21 with 4782 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour Manifesto on 14:24 - Nov 21 by J2BLUE

We beg you to swap them around

Charming!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour Manifesto on 14:49 - Nov 21 with 4754 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Labour Manifesto on 13:25 - Nov 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Read much about child mental health lately?

It is the amount of work and pressure they are put under. Increasing the length of the day and trying to get more out of them won't help.

Care to explain why you find that so incredulous?

I didn't advocate increasing the length of day.

I questioned whether kids find the current length of day to be an issue.

I doubt it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Labour Manifesto on 14:58 - Nov 21 with 4740 viewsNewcyBlue

Labour Manifesto on 13:01 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

No objection in principle to either a 4 day week or 32 hour week across 5 days, I do think however that your post is pretty biased towards your own circumstances which are office-centric:

"How much work do most people get done after 1pm on a Friday"

Depends entirely on the job. What if you are needed on a Saturday? What if you're a GP or nurse? What if you drive a train? Hard to get more efficient driving a train, bus or lorry. What if you are a teacher? Will kids go to school for 4 days a week? What if you need to be at work when an international market is open?

"No one lied on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time in the office."

This is definitely true and I know you are using office as a colloquialism but if we take it as specific not everyone works in a 9 to 5 office situation, this is the point. You've framed it entirely within your own experience.

As I said, I've got absolutely no problem with the concept but it's much more complicated than is being represented here and requires good planning and thought.

SB

We are preparing for dry dock. Currently sat at anchor.

I worked midnight until 1600 today getting stuff ready.

This will be my normal working day for the next few days.

It’s almost 2300 here. I have managed 3 hours sleep. Then back at work at midnight.

I forgot to eat breakfast, managed a 15 minute lunch and slept my 3 hours through dinner. Luckily the cook and I get on well, and he plated up some food for me. Which was handy as I woke up starving.

The physical toll of these preparations has probably meant that after a 3 hour sleep, I woke up hungry but feeling refreshed.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Labour Manifesto on 15:13 - Nov 21 with 4717 viewsJon_456

Labour Manifesto on 14:18 - Nov 21 by BrixtonBlue

The benefit is that it's a choice.

A choice for who though? The employer or the employee?
Labour Manifesto on 15:14 - Nov 21 with 4716 viewsfactual_blue

David Tennant, or the aristocratic Tennants (the Lords Glenconner), or Neil Tennant?

Or all of them?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024