Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour Manifesto 11:56 - Nov 21 with 23209 viewsZedRodgers

Published: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-20

No, not at the moment

Labour Manifesto on 16:32 - Nov 21 with 4583 viewsmonytowbray

Labour Manifesto on 16:29 - Nov 21 by sparks

Indeed. A person ought to be entitled to deal how they choose with their own property.

The classic is a Landlord who has hit hard times, has a divorce, unexpected expenses etc and needs to sell or move back into the old flat thats being rented.

These proposals will end up with people getting repossessed when they cant end a tenancy and sell.

Four pages of people arguing all day on a weekday afternoon about productiveness.

ONLY ON TWTD

:S

EDIT: Meant to reply, not quote.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 16:33]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour Manifesto on 16:48 - Nov 21 with 4547 viewsflimflam

Labour Manifesto on 15:46 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

That was written yesterday before the manifesto was even released.

SB

Arrr yes you are correct.

I had multiple tabs open and copied pasted the wrong tab and was actually reading the same article GB posted soz

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Labour Manifesto on 17:11 - Nov 21 with 4518 viewsNewcyBlue

Labour Manifesto on 12:37 - Nov 21 by monytowbray

I worked 50/60 once but I could hammer them into 3-4 days and have more time off, and also have time off in the day on weekdays to get stuff done. the 9-5 M-F setup is dated, doesn't work around life and tests show shorter weeks don't impact productivity negatively.

How much work do most people get done after 1pm on a Friday? I imagine a lot of people don't get much done at other times too considering their posting habits on here (yes I include myself in that, certainly had a few days where I've been on here too much).

No one lied on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time in the office.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 12:38]

What about shift workers? NHS staff? Fire Fighters? Police?

There’s more than just 9-5 Monday to Friday.

Office workers might not get much done on a Friday afternoon but there are many more people that do.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Labour Manifesto on 17:14 - Nov 21 with 4511 viewssparks

Labour Manifesto on 17:11 - Nov 21 by NewcyBlue

Office workers might not get much done on a Friday afternoon but there are many more people that do.

Quite. So lets assume they are exempt. Do they get paid propotionately more? If so, lots of other people will want to do the same...

Employers will prefer to employ the driven folk rather than the clock watchers.

etc
etc

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Labour Manifesto on 17:32 - Nov 21 with 4485 viewsNewcyBlue

Labour Manifesto on 17:14 - Nov 21 by sparks

Quite. So lets assume they are exempt. Do they get paid propotionately more? If so, lots of other people will want to do the same...

Employers will prefer to employ the driven folk rather than the clock watchers.

etc
etc

Frankly I think those who contribute more to society should be the ones with the most benefits.

Riding a desk Monday to Friday won’t be as hard as grafting in a hospital.

Let’s be honest, there are many of us whose jobs don’t contribute to the overall well-being of society.

There’s a broader picture here isn’t there, what are the advantages of a well rested workforce as opposed to a tired and stressed workforce? Greater productivity, less sick leave, greater engagement, I am sure there will have been a study conducted somewhere.

Is the cost in hiring additional employees to cover the whole of the business hours worth it compared to the benefits?

I suppose it would depend on how narrow a scope it would be viewed with.

It’s a thoroughly interesting idea though.

Labour Manifesto on 17:47 - Nov 21 with 4469 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 16:05 - Nov 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

And I quote.....

...."children are already stressed enough with the length of days currently as it is"....

That is exactly what I questioned.

Apology accepted.

So you are questioning whether they are stressed enough?

Or you are questioning whether extending the day and increasing workload for them and their teachers is going to increase it?

Please EXPLAIN what you think you are arguing!

To clarify "children are already stressed enough with the length of days currently as it is" does not mean the cause of that stress is the length of the day which is what you argued I had said. I didn't.

Glad you are considering an apology but until you make it, I can't really accept it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Labour Manifesto on 17:52 - Nov 21 with 4463 viewsRyorry

Labour Manifesto on 16:32 - Nov 21 by monytowbray

Four pages of people arguing all day on a weekday afternoon about productiveness.

ONLY ON TWTD

:S

EDIT: Meant to reply, not quote.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 16:33]

But Sparks wasn't arguing!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Labour Manifesto on 17:57 - Nov 21 with 4451 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 17:52 - Nov 21 by Ryorry

But Sparks wasn't arguing!

Easy mistake to make.

However, if he had been we would not still be on page 5!

Login to get fewer ads

Labour Manifesto on 18:20 - Nov 21 with 4424 viewshampstead_blue

Labour Manifesto on 17:11 - Nov 21 by NewcyBlue

may I add the Armed Forces into that please........

Thank-you.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Labour Manifesto on 18:25 - Nov 21 with 4421 viewsNewcyBlue

Labour Manifesto on 18:20 - Nov 21 by hampstead_blue

may I add the Armed Forces into that please........

Thank-you.

I didn’t add the Forces, or the Merchant Navy for that matter.

It’s not really a job is it? It’s a way of life.

I couldn’t be limited to 32 hours a week. Over these next few days I will have doubled that!

Labour Manifesto on 18:31 - Nov 21 with 4410 viewshampstead_blue

Labour Manifesto on 18:25 - Nov 21 by NewcyBlue

I couldn’t be limited to 32 hours a week. Over these next few days I will have doubled that!

as a veteran I'm for more for the forces and their families.

I don't think it's a way of life for some. They are changing working patterns to suit different family set-ups.

Their pay and conditions should be hugely improved. Those working the most unsociable hours, deployed and UK, should get a lot more.

I hope the Tories do this but am not holding my breath.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Labour Manifesto on 19:07 - Nov 21 with 4374 viewsBent_double

Labour Manifesto on 15:48 - Nov 21 by lowhouseblue

"Paul Johnson, IFS director, says it would be the biggest set of spending increases, tax increases and borrowing increases that the UK has seen "in peacetime history". "

Well if that's correct, it's because it's necessary after 10 years of incredibly damaging cuts to services across the board.

It might work, it might go horribly wrong, but something needs to change drastically in this country, something that just won't happen if the Tories are re-elected.

I accept it's scary and probably full of holes and pitfalls, but give it a go, I say!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Labour Manifesto on 19:25 - Nov 21 with 4349 viewslowhouseblue

Labour Manifesto on 19:07 - Nov 21 by Bent_double

Well if that's correct, it's because it's necessary after 10 years of incredibly damaging cuts to services across the board.

It might work, it might go horribly wrong, but something needs to change drastically in this country, something that just won't happen if the Tories are re-elected.

I accept it's scary and probably full of holes and pitfalls, but give it a go, I say!

and when it goes horribly wrong we'll be back to austerity.

just imagine if there was an alternative to the tories which was something more than the fiscal equivalent of russian roulette.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour Manifesto on 19:38 - Nov 21 with 4299 viewslongtimefan

Labour Manifesto on 19:07 - Nov 21 by Bent_double

“Well if that's correct, it's because it's necessary after 10 years of incredibly damaging cuts to services across the board”

What’s nationalizing Electricity, Water and BT and giving away free broadband at enormous cost to the tax payer got to do with 10 years of austerity?
Labour Manifesto on 19:40 - Nov 21 with 4271 viewsBent_double

Labour Manifesto on 19:38 - Nov 21 by longtimefan

“Well if that's correct, it's because it's necessary after 10 years of incredibly damaging cuts to services across the board”

What’s nationalizing Electricity, Water and BT and giving away free broadband at enormous cost to the tax payer got to do with 10 years of austerity?

Nothing?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Labour Manifesto on 19:42 - Nov 21 with 4254 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Labour Manifesto on 17:47 - Nov 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

So you are questioning whether they are stressed enough?

Or you are questioning whether extending the day and increasing workload for them and their teachers is going to increase it?

Please EXPLAIN what you think you are arguing!

To clarify "children are already stressed enough with the length of days currently as it is" does not mean the cause of that stress is the length of the day which is what you argued I had said. I didn't.

Glad you are considering an apology but until you make it, I can't really accept it.

Beep beep beep beep... keep reversing.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Labour Manifesto on 19:45 - Nov 21 with 4249 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 18:25 - Nov 21 by NewcyBlue

Serious question, what are the working conditions when you are off shore? Presumably British employment law would only apply if you are British registered which I assume most aren't.

However, there also must be a sense that if you are on board a vessel you may as well be working more hours. However, you must get breaks and need rest, meals and recreation time.

What we have established is that working principles cannot apply equally to every situation. Hence why employment law must be very complex.

Labour Manifesto on 19:47 - Nov 21 with 4242 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 19:42 - Nov 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Beep beep beep beep... keep reversing.

I have quoted exactly what I said (that you claimed to be referring to) and explained it as you appear unable to understand it without explanation. I don't see where there is any reversing in that. So I will now assume you are just trolling whatever that actually means.

Labour Manifesto on 19:57 - Nov 21 with 4236 viewsjimmyvet

Labour Manifesto on 19:25 - Nov 21 by lowhouseblue

and when it goes horribly wrong we'll be back to austerity.

just imagine if there was an alternative to the tories which was something more than the fiscal equivalent of russian roulette.

Stop trying to add some common sense to this debate. Zed is back spinning momentum central offices message and the masses are flocking to the board to hang on every word of momentums(sorry) Zeds wisdom.

I think the Labour manifesto is great if carried through for me a reasonably well off bloke in my 50s for anybody any younger than me and those most likely to vote for this economic disaster watch out as they will spend the next few decades paying for it. It is sad because I would love a reasoned sensible alternative to BJ but there isn’t one and they will get another 5 years in Government because of this rank manifesto.
Labour Manifesto on 20:01 - Nov 21 with 4227 viewsNewcyBlue

Labour Manifesto on 19:45 - Nov 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Serious question, what are the working conditions when you are off shore? Presumably British employment law would only apply if you are British registered which I assume most aren't.

However, there also must be a sense that if you are on board a vessel you may as well be working more hours. However, you must get breaks and need rest, meals and recreation time.

What we have established is that working principles cannot apply equally to every situation. Hence why employment law must be very complex.

The legal requirements are that you are provided with a minimum of 10 hours rest per day, which can be split into two periods, one of which must be a minimum of 6 hours.

You must have 77 hours rest per week.

What actually happens is that you work as much as is required. Any deviations will be explained or the rest hours will just be flogged.

As an officer you’re expected to be more flexible.... with logging and actual work.

Labour Manifesto on 20:05 - Nov 21 with 4218 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 20:01 - Nov 21 by NewcyBlue

The legal requirements are that you are provided with a minimum of 10 hours rest per day, which can be split into two periods, one of which must be a minimum of 6 hours.

You must have 77 hours rest per week.

What actually happens is that you work as much as is required. Any deviations will be explained or the rest hours will just be flogged.

As an officer you’re expected to be more flexible.... with logging and actual work.

Is that international law or something? Or is where the boat is registered or where the company owning it is?

Most people realise there has to be some flexibility in different situations. When the EU first brought in the working time directive, some jobs such as farmers were able to annualise hours so they could work ridiculous hours at harvest time. I would assume that is still the same.

Labour Manifesto on 20:12 - Nov 21 with 4186 viewsNewcyBlue

Labour Manifesto on 20:05 - Nov 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is that international law or something? Or is where the boat is registered or where the company owning it is?

Most people realise there has to be some flexibility in different situations. When the EU first brought in the working time directive, some jobs such as farmers were able to annualise hours so they could work ridiculous hours at harvest time. I would assume that is still the same.

Yeah it’s international law. It’s actually the same as the U.K. flag law.

During my 6 or 4 hours off I have to eat, sleep, shower, talk to home, gym.

It soon becomes less and less sleep!

Our 77 hours rest in any 7 day period is literally that, they can pick any 7 day period to check. Monday to Monday. Wednesday to Wednesday.

They also check logs, like when we have done drills, do our rest hour records match.

I usually end up just doing whatever is required and logging my rest hours as the same every day.

So yesterday I worked midnight until 1600, today I am doing the same. It looks like it’s going to required for the next few days as we prepare for dry docking.

My issue is that I take pride in my work so am happy to sacrifice rest to do extra.

Labour Manifesto on 20:38 - Nov 21 with 4152 viewsjas0999

Voted for Labour for years. Stopped at Milliband. Didn’t think it could get any worse. It has. Won’t vote Tory, but alas can’t vote for a Corbyn led Labour sadly.
Labour Manifesto on 20:43 - Nov 21 with 4144 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 20:12 - Nov 21 by NewcyBlue

Yeah it’s international law. It’s actually the same as the U.K. flag law.

During my 6 or 4 hours off I have to eat, sleep, shower, talk to home, gym.

It soon becomes less and less sleep!

Our 77 hours rest in any 7 day period is literally that, they can pick any 7 day period to check. Monday to Monday. Wednesday to Wednesday.

They also check logs, like when we have done drills, do our rest hour records match.

I usually end up just doing whatever is required and logging my rest hours as the same every day.

So yesterday I worked midnight until 1600, today I am doing the same. It looks like it’s going to required for the next few days as we prepare for dry docking.

My issue is that I take pride in my work so am happy to sacrifice rest to do extra.

As long as you look after yourself and therefore ensure you are fit to do the job. That is, after all, the main purpose of the law.

It makes sense for British law to match international law as otherwise it simply encourages flags of convenience.

Labour Manifesto on 07:14 - Nov 22 with 4058 viewsbaxterbasics

It’s an astonishing, and at times scary work of fantasy fiction.

They run out of money by the end of page 2.

There is no way that even half of this can be paid for with the proposed taxes on ‘the rich’ and business, as the IFS have already pointed out. As that money leaves or gets hidden out of sight the burden will fall on many more shoulders. I dread to think what will happen to the value of my pension which is all I have to rely on in the future (I don’t own property).

Silly Allen likes it though (see Twitter).
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 7:18]

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024