Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Haringey and us 19:46 - Oct 20 with 22235 viewsChateauWines

I have just spoken to Club Secretary.

Driving back from Accrington this afternoon I have considered hard what to do about what I heard on terraces today not for the first time. I've been going to football for over 40 years and dont consider myself a snowflake. I also consider the overwhelming majority of our away supporters amongst the best in the land and am proud to consider myself a Tractor Boy.

However....

After the events in Sofia last week and then disturbingly at Haringey involving Yeovil supporters, a certain song mentioned on another thread on here about one of our own players was sung by a small group of 10 or so several times today. It made myself squirm a little as it did others around me. I considered saying something but chickened out, then considered drawing it to attention of a steward or policeman. Thinking that would bring terrible publicity for club I stood and ignored it. It never got going as a song and am sure players didn't hear. Driving home I listened to Haringey manager talking on radio saying supporters should shop others doing and saying these things. I wish now I had stepped up.

What should I do guys?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 15:38]

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Haringey and us on 09:11 - Oct 22 with 2999 viewsSitfcB

Haringey and us on 07:21 - Oct 22 by StokieBlue

Because you're helping to perpetuate the myth that it's not racist when it clearly is by definition.

You've even up voting his nonsense.

SB
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 7:24]

I was just saying what Toto has said himself.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Haringey and us on 09:13 - Oct 22 with 2982 viewsSitfcB

Haringey and us on 23:31 - Oct 20 by pelles321

I find your response puzzling. You were the first to respond (almost instantaneously) when I made a similar point about not liking this chant after the Gillingham game. Again you said the subject was boring and had already been discussed, whilst then seemingly continuing to justify its existence.

If you find the subject so boring, why do you continue being the first to comment? Or do you not find the subject boring, and actually have a strong opinion that this chant is acceptable, and therefore dismiss those of us who are putting pressure on fellow supporters to reflect on its connotations?

The whole debate is boring as it’s been done to death on here many times already.

Some people think it’s racist some don’t.

It’s a sh!t song that’s all.

COYB

Haringey and us on 09:23 - Oct 22 with 2962 viewsStokieBlue

Haringey and us on 09:11 - Oct 22 by SitfcB

I was just saying what Toto has said himself.

You've totally missed the point - someone else covered it (can't remember who) but what exactly is he supposed to say? He wants to be in with the fans so it's unlikely he's going to say "actually, it's a racist song and the fans singing it are idiots".

Historically that has been the response for individuals put in the position Toto has been put in - we know this from scores of evidence.

It needs to be called out as racist. The club have asked fans not to sing it. I don't really understand your position here.

SB
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 9:24]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Haringey and us on 09:24 - Oct 22 with 2955 viewscrunchie1978

Haringey and us on 08:58 - Oct 22 by GlasgowBlue

The use of the word gammon is racial stereotyping but it’s not a stereotype that is aimed at people who have been persecuted and discriminated against for hundreds of years.

In the words of one Stephen Patrick....
'What difference does it make'?
Surely racism is racism?
Haringey and us on 09:26 - Oct 22 with 2949 viewsJakeITFC

Haringey and us on 09:13 - Oct 22 by SitfcB

The whole debate is boring as it’s been done to death on here many times already.

It’s quite important that this isn’t the attitude though mate.

It allows things that shouldn’t said/sung/whatever else to be normalised and carry on when they shouldn’t, and whether we like it or not, stuff that gets sung by our fans at grounds is representative of us all.
Haringey and us on 10:12 - Oct 22 with 2910 viewsSwailsey

Haringey and us on 09:13 - Oct 22 by SitfcB

Racism is boring?

Your attitude to this isn’t great dude.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Haringey and us on 10:18 - Oct 22 with 2900 viewsChateauWines

Haringey and us on 09:26 - Oct 22 by JakeITFC

It’s quite important that this isn’t the attitude though mate.

It allows things that shouldn’t said/sung/whatever else to be normalised and carry on when they shouldn’t, and whether we like it or not, stuff that gets sung by our fans at grounds is representative of us all.

All this debate has done is make me more determined to see this matter dealt with. If you see a sensitive snowflake confronting anyone who sings it at Saufen on saturday that will be me. I hope I will be backed up by the decent majority

Haringey and us on 10:20 - Oct 22 with 2890 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Haringey and us on 09:24 - Oct 22 by crunchie1978

In the words of one Stephen Patrick....
'What difference does it make'?
Surely racism is racism?

Morrissey probably isn't the best person to quote on this thread mate.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Haringey and us on 10:27 - Oct 22 with 2880 viewsSitfcB

Haringey and us on 10:12 - Oct 22 by Swailsey

Racism is boring?

Your attitude to this isn’t great dude.

Do you work for The Sun?

Twisting my words.

Not sure where I said that...

COYB

Haringey and us on 10:32 - Oct 22 with 2870 viewsSwailsey

Haringey and us on 10:27 - Oct 22 by SitfcB

Do you work for The Sun?

Twisting my words.

You said a debate about racism is boring, although I admit I’m being a bit facetious.

If you had said: “This debate is boring. It’s clearly racist, move on”, that would be different.

But you’re not, despite numerous people pointing out why it is racist - including posters, Admin and the Kick it Out Campaign. It just seems a strange hill to die on?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Haringey and us on 11:11 - Oct 22 with 2815 viewsSE1blue

Haringey and us on 10:27 - Oct 22 by SitfcB

Do you work for The Sun?

Twisting my words.

I think your choice of words was poor and you might need to think about the bigger picture, rather than your own feelings (that you find talking about it boring) on the matter.

I find the countless political threads on here, 'boring', but it's something people are passionate about and often raises perspectives I've not thought about or thought were irrelevant to me.

Clearly, this song and the potential racism linked to it, is a massive issue for people attending games, or for those hearing about it second hand. Racism is a massive issue for my family and friends and, although I am white, because of what I see what songs like this do to my family and friends, I feel passionately about this one.

Whether you find talking about it boring or not, there is a much bigger situation at hand and the world is currently in a situation where it does need people to say where things are unacceptable and not just put it down as 'boring' as it may not affect them.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Haringey and us on 11:27 - Oct 22 with 2777 viewscrunchie1978

Haringey and us on 10:20 - Oct 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

Morrissey probably isn't the best person to quote on this thread mate.

Haringey and us on 11:47 - Oct 22 with 2758 viewsSikamikanico

Hear is very well in S6 and its an embarrassing song that plays to a racial stereotype. As it plays to a racial stereotype it is racist.

A couple rows ahead of my in S6 there are a group of teenagers who sit with their dads and the kids sing the song loudly and giggling, no doubt because it includes words such as c*** and f******, How long before this song normalises racial stereotyping for the kids?
Haringey and us on 13:16 - Oct 22 with 2679 viewsGaryCooper

Haringey and us on 11:47 - Oct 22 by Sikamikanico

Hear is very well in S6 and its an embarrassing song that plays to a racial stereotype. As it plays to a racial stereotype it is racist.

A couple rows ahead of my in S6 there are a group of teenagers who sit with their dads and the kids sing the song loudly and giggling, no doubt because it includes words such as c*** and f******, How long before this song normalises racial stereotyping for the kids?

Racial stereo typing is clearly racist, I for one am looking forward to the unanimity of the board next time the shadow home secretary uses racial stereotypes.
Haringey and us on 13:40 - Oct 22 with 2645 viewsSpruceMoose

Haringey and us on 13:16 - Oct 22 by GaryCooper

Racial stereo typing is clearly racist, I for one am looking forward to the unanimity of the board next time the shadow home secretary uses racial stereotypes.

Which ones in particular?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Haringey and us on 15:37 - Oct 22 with 2599 viewsChateauWines

I have just spoken to Club Secretary and statement will be made later and announcement over the PA system before tomorrows game regarding racism and the clubs stance. Thanks for all who have supported me over last couple of days. Those who have sung the song and those who felt it was doing no harm will now I hope, accept that that is not the consensus of opinion. COYB

Haringey and us on 15:55 - Oct 22 with 2571 viewsMaySixth

What was sung?

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Haringey and us on 16:54 - Oct 22 with 2524 viewsyesjohn99

Haringey and us on 15:37 - Oct 22 by ChateauWines

I have just spoken to Club Secretary and statement will be made later and announcement over the PA system before tomorrows game regarding racism and the clubs stance. Thanks for all who have supported me over last couple of days. Those who have sung the song and those who felt it was doing no harm will now I hope, accept that that is not the consensus of opinion. COYB

What was said in relation to our club captain Luke Chambers?
Haringey and us on 17:08 - Oct 22 with 2501 viewsGlasgowBlue

Haringey and us on 16:54 - Oct 22 by yesjohn99

Six match ban with Toto in the team in his place. A few more performances like Saturday’s should ensure that his cock will no longer be the subject of any songs they sing about him.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Haringey and us on 17:10 - Oct 22 with 2495 viewsPJH

Haringey and us on 17:08 - Oct 22 by GlasgowBlue

Six match ban with Toto in the team in his place. A few more performances like Saturday’s should ensure that his cock will no longer be the subject of any songs they sing about him.

His cock ups might be though.

It was Sunday on Sunday though.
Haringey and us on 17:26 - Oct 22 with 2459 viewstextbackup

Haringey and us on 17:08 - Oct 22 by GlasgowBlue

an inch to be removed with every mistake......

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Haringey and us on 17:31 - Oct 22 with 2442 viewsChateauWines

Haringey and us on 16:54 - Oct 22 by yesjohn99

He no longer has it on his phone

Haringey and us on 14:06 - Oct 23 with 2277 viewschorltonskylineblue

Haringey and us on 07:15 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

Is this the song that mentions toto’s man parts?

Silly poor song but really doesn’t constitute racist chanting does it?

Yes it does. These songs are only sung about black players and are based on an age old racist trope about black men. Ask yourself why such songs are never sung about white players.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 14:24]
Haringey and us on 14:08 - Oct 23 with 2268 viewschorltonskylineblue

Haringey and us on 07:15 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

Is this the song that mentions toto’s man parts?

Silly poor song but really doesn’t constitute racist chanting does it?

Yes it does. These songs are only ever sung about black players and tie into an old racist trope about black men. Ask yourself why these songs are never sung about white players?
Haringey and us on 15:50 - Oct 23 with 2190 viewsPJH

Haringey and us on 14:08 - Oct 23 by chorltonskylineblue

Yes it does. These songs are only ever sung about black players and tie into an old racist trope about black men. Ask yourself why these songs are never sung about white players?

Similar to what I said on the other thread on the subject-the poll one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024