Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Haringey and us 19:46 - Oct 20 with 22238 viewsChateauWines

I have just spoken to Club Secretary.

Driving back from Accrington this afternoon I have considered hard what to do about what I heard on terraces today not for the first time. I've been going to football for over 40 years and dont consider myself a snowflake. I also consider the overwhelming majority of our away supporters amongst the best in the land and am proud to consider myself a Tractor Boy.

However....

After the events in Sofia last week and then disturbingly at Haringey involving Yeovil supporters, a certain song mentioned on another thread on here about one of our own players was sung by a small group of 10 or so several times today. It made myself squirm a little as it did others around me. I considered saying something but chickened out, then considered drawing it to attention of a steward or policeman. Thinking that would bring terrible publicity for club I stood and ignored it. It never got going as a song and am sure players didn't hear. Driving home I listened to Haringey manager talking on radio saying supporters should shop others doing and saying these things. I wish now I had stepped up.

What should I do guys?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 15:38]

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Haringey and us on 08:52 - Oct 21 with 3279 viewsChateauWines

Haringey and us on 08:50 - Oct 21 by PrideOfTheEast

I expect the people that sing whatever song you heard read this message board.

As such, why don’t they take this thread as their last warning and if they do it again they are bound to be reported one way or another.

I'm speaking to the club at 9am. I dont want my club and all of us tarnished by these morons.

Haringey and us on 08:53 - Oct 21 with 3274 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Haringey and us on 08:52 - Oct 21 by ChateauWines

I'm speaking to the club at 9am. I dont want my club and all of us tarnished by these morons.

Fair enough.
Haringey and us on 08:55 - Oct 21 with 3271 viewsReuser_is_God

Haringey and us on 08:52 - Oct 21 by ChateauWines

Well done.

Get the fanzone virgins banned who have already been warned by the club about this.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Haringey and us on 10:08 - Oct 21 with 3232 viewsChateauWines

Haringey and us on 08:55 - Oct 21 by Reuser_is_God

Well done.

Get the fanzone virgins banned who have already been warned by the club about this.

I`ve contacted club, spoken to them and sent lengthy e-mail so will see what happens next

Haringey and us on 12:26 - Oct 21 with 3174 viewsglasso

We're a club that's finally getting its reputation back again after being branded a fanbase with ideas above our station thanks to MM-gate.

Things like our big away following, Blue Action's work and also little touches like the Kee banner at the weekend are getting us noticed for the right reasons again. I don't understand why some people would risk throwing that all away for a daft song that isn't even very funny/clever/good.

If a ref were to stop our game because someone on the pitch complained about that song, we'd be branded the racist club, which is ridiculous. It's not too much of an ask to say, 'look, even if you like that song, it's probably just not worth it...'
Haringey and us on 12:33 - Oct 21 with 3158 viewsmaccyd9

Haringey and us on 10:08 - Oct 21 by ChateauWines

I`ve contacted club, spoken to them and sent lengthy e-mail so will see what happens next

Do you genuinely believe that a song about the manhood of a player is racism? A song that the said player says he liked and that the club captain has a sticker on his phone of?

You are going to rather long lengths to make a stand on an issue that frankly isn't there. It can in no way be compared to incidents in Sofia, Hartlepool and Yeovil and I find your reaction now and lack of at the time a bit odd.

I'd suggest it's over excited kids singing a song that is based on stereotype and not racism and as is the norm for Ipswich fans these days, you've overreacted to a problem that isn't there.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 12:36]
Haringey and us on 12:40 - Oct 21 with 3124 viewsStokieBlue

Haringey and us on 12:33 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

Do you genuinely believe that a song about the manhood of a player is racism? A song that the said player says he liked and that the club captain has a sticker on his phone of?

You are going to rather long lengths to make a stand on an issue that frankly isn't there. It can in no way be compared to incidents in Sofia, Hartlepool and Yeovil and I find your reaction now and lack of at the time a bit odd.

I'd suggest it's over excited kids singing a song that is based on stereotype and not racism and as is the norm for Ipswich fans these days, you've overreacted to a problem that isn't there.

What's the difference between a stereotype and racism when the said stereotype applies to a race?

Interested to hear your explanation of the difference because to me your post isn't internally consistent and you've disproved your own point.

SB
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 12:41]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Haringey and us on 12:46 - Oct 21 with 3113 viewsRyorry

I wasn't there, haven't heard the song, so can't really comment on it from personal experience. But the evident fact that some of our own supporters do find it racist and offensive (albeit others, fewer in number apparently find it OK) should tell you that it's liable to be seen by yet more, including officials with the power to punish the club heavily, as racist & therefore totally unacceptable (not to mention the potential for very bad publicity, and our recent feelgood factor being dealt a heavy blow).

Surely better & easy enough for those responsible (and/or others) to come up with a better song to replace it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Haringey and us on 12:46 - Oct 21 with 3109 viewsmaccyd9

Haringey and us on 12:40 - Oct 21 by StokieBlue

What's the difference between a stereotype and racism when the said stereotype applies to a race?

Interested to hear your explanation of the difference because to me your post isn't internally consistent and you've disproved your own point.

SB
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 12:41]

Because I don't feel there is any intentional link between the two in this instance. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not the OP believes that the kids signing the song were being racist.

Stupid & immature maybe, but in no way racist....and the OP has tried to liken the incident to those recently which is an outrageous over exaggeration.

What worries me, is that the guy has had thinking time since the game and still believes the right course of action is to make a determined attempt to seek retribution for the culprits who probably have no idea of what they have done wrong.

I was on the train home from Peterborough when this was being sung by a large volume of Town fans. I didn't find it funny but I certainly didn't find it racist or offensive to Toto....and neither does he.

I can think of far worse songs that are sung regularly by the North lower on a weekly basis.
Haringey and us on 12:47 - Oct 21 with 3096 viewsfooters

It's a racist stereotype, which makes it racist.

If you'd like me to draw a picture instead, let me know.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Haringey and us on 12:50 - Oct 21 with 3088 viewsChateauWines

Let me ask you a question maccyd9. I disagree with you totally and if I heard the same again I would confront individuals in question by the way. If this song is okay, will you happily sing it in front of Toto and a steward/policeman on wednesday evening at the game?

Haringey and us on 12:50 - Oct 21 with 3088 viewsmaccyd9

Haringey and us on 12:46 - Oct 21 by Ryorry

I wasn't there, haven't heard the song, so can't really comment on it from personal experience. But the evident fact that some of our own supporters do find it racist and offensive (albeit others, fewer in number apparently find it OK) should tell you that it's liable to be seen by yet more, including officials with the power to punish the club heavily, as racist & therefore totally unacceptable (not to mention the potential for very bad publicity, and our recent feelgood factor being dealt a heavy blow).

Surely better & easy enough for those responsible (and/or others) to come up with a better song to replace it.

It's a song about a guy having a big c@ck. Yes some might find the wording offensive and I get that, but it is not racist.

The villa song was far worse and rightly condemned.

This is just a crap song being sung by a few kids and will likely die off. I'm not sure why there is any need to try and stop these kids doing something they clearly love for something so trivial and something that really could have been dealt with at the time with a friendly word.

It's all a bit pathetic.
Haringey and us on 12:50 - Oct 21 with 3075 viewsStokieBlue

Haringey and us on 12:46 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

Because I don't feel there is any intentional link between the two in this instance. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not the OP believes that the kids signing the song were being racist.

Stupid & immature maybe, but in no way racist....and the OP has tried to liken the incident to those recently which is an outrageous over exaggeration.

What worries me, is that the guy has had thinking time since the game and still believes the right course of action is to make a determined attempt to seek retribution for the culprits who probably have no idea of what they have done wrong.

I was on the train home from Peterborough when this was being sung by a large volume of Town fans. I didn't find it funny but I certainly didn't find it racist or offensive to Toto....and neither does he.

I can think of far worse songs that are sung regularly by the North lower on a weekly basis.

I don't think that really answers my question.

You said it was enforcing a stereotype which itself is based on race. You've not explained how that is different to racism.

Intention is irrelevant isn't it?

SB

Haringey and us on 12:53 - Oct 21 with 3071 viewsmaccyd9

Haringey and us on 12:50 - Oct 21 by ChateauWines

Let me ask you a question maccyd9. I disagree with you totally and if I heard the same again I would confront individuals in question by the way. If this song is okay, will you happily sing it in front of Toto and a steward/policeman on wednesday evening at the game?

No because I don't like the song.

I never said the song was ok, I just said it wasn't racist.

Don't post about it asking for opinions if you don't like someones elses view.
Haringey and us on 12:54 - Oct 21 with 3059 viewsRyorry

Haringey and us on 12:50 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

It's a song about a guy having a big c@ck. Yes some might find the wording offensive and I get that, but it is not racist.

The villa song was far worse and rightly condemned.

This is just a crap song being sung by a few kids and will likely die off. I'm not sure why there is any need to try and stop these kids doing something they clearly love for something so trivial and something that really could have been dealt with at the time with a friendly word.

It's all a bit pathetic.

I'm getting the picture.

Footers was right, it's a racist stereotype, therefore racist.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Haringey and us on 12:56 - Oct 21 with 3049 viewsmaccyd9

Haringey and us on 12:54 - Oct 21 by Ryorry

I'm getting the picture.

Footers was right, it's a racist stereotype, therefore racist.

Will he report Chambo to the club then for endorsing it?

Because surely Chambo is no better?
Haringey and us on 12:58 - Oct 21 with 3040 viewsfooters

Haringey and us on 12:56 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

Will he report Chambo to the club then for endorsing it?

Because surely Chambo is no better?

If you don't mind me saying, this is a bit of an odd hill to die on if you think it's a stupid song.

Whether Chambers or Nsiala think it's racist is irrelevant because it is.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Haringey and us on 12:59 - Oct 21 with 3031 viewsLankHenners

Haringey and us on 12:53 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

There’s no ‘other opinion’ on racism. The song’s racist, and to be frank, if you can’t see that then it’s a problem with your understanding.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Haringey and us on 13:00 - Oct 21 with 3025 viewsChateauWines

Haringey and us on 12:46 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

i certainly do think they were being racist. Being racist by virtue of a silly song and being youngsters is not okay. Is it only serious if chucking bananas on pitch and making monkey noises. The fact that it is aimed at one of our own players is incredible. I really find it unbelievable that you would suggest otherwise. Are they stupid and immature? Yes. That does not make it okay

Haringey and us on 13:02 - Oct 21 with 3010 viewsChateauWines

Haringey and us on 12:53 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

maccyd9 i`ve no problem with different views. As you state thats why i asked in first place. Let me re phrase question. If you sang song in front of steward or policeman would you not expect any action?

Haringey and us on 13:03 - Oct 21 with 3006 viewsmaccyd9

Haringey and us on 13:00 - Oct 21 by ChateauWines

i certainly do think they were being racist. Being racist by virtue of a silly song and being youngsters is not okay. Is it only serious if chucking bananas on pitch and making monkey noises. The fact that it is aimed at one of our own players is incredible. I really find it unbelievable that you would suggest otherwise. Are they stupid and immature? Yes. That does not make it okay

Well let's see if the club agrees with you. Presumably lengthy bans and police action will follow if they do.
Haringey and us on 13:05 - Oct 21 with 2996 viewsglasso

Thing is, even if you don't, what's the problem with just not singing it? If some people do - even if ONE person does - and it gets flagged up, then we all look sh!t.

Like I said, it's a rubbish song anyway. Nobody's going home afterwards going, 'oh, did you hear that song Ipswich were singing? It's BRILLIANT,' so just find something else to sing. It's no biggie.
Haringey and us on 13:05 - Oct 21 with 2996 viewsSE1blue

Haringey and us on 13:03 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

Well let's see if the club agrees with you. Presumably lengthy bans and police action will follow if they do.

This article describes where stereotyping becomes racism quite well.

Have a read.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/sep/19/man

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Haringey and us on 13:08 - Oct 21 with 2974 viewsStokieBlue

Haringey and us on 13:03 - Oct 21 by maccyd9

The problem here is that you don't think it's racist when it clearly is and you've even defined it yourself as racist in your first post.

You should probably worry about that more than what the club thinks about it.

SB

Haringey and us on 13:33 - Oct 21 with 2937 viewshaynes_toe1

Well this thread is somewhat depressing.

Credit for Chateau for going to the effort of raising it with the club; although what they'll do about it is anyones guess if Chambers himself really is endorsing it (idiotic thing to do, if so).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024