Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is Lambert trying to do? 16:55 - Aug 17 with 4828 viewsitfcjoe

I worry that we seem no closer to knowing what style of play he favours, what formation he favours and what we are trying to do.

It looks like we are just trying to get promoted by having better players rather than any structure to our game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:46 - Aug 17 with 1468 viewsKeaneish

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:56 - Aug 17 by groovyASH

Lambert is not proving to be a very good manager is he?

Very debatable that we can "out-better-player" our way to promotion

Based on an unbeaten start to the season?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:47 - Aug 17 with 1459 viewsKeaneish

It's a 442 until Judge is fit and we get more quality in the full back areas. Thought Peterborough played the diamond well today but with Donacien and Kenlock, we've got no hope of that.

Poor performance today.

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:50 - Aug 17 with 1448 viewsGarv

Simply needs more players fit before settling.

Or more signings.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:53 - Aug 17 with 1439 viewsDarth_Koont

Positives from today:

- A late point away at a promotion rival that probably deserved the win.
- Skuse, Downes and Woolfenden made excellent choices throughout on and off the ball and were really tidy.
- El Mizouni was energetic, threatening and played with some quality.
- The team worked hard, particularly Norwood and Jackson up front despite little service.
- We mixed it up well and weren't afraid to go direct.

Negatives from today:
- We still look clueless and lacking in quality when we have any possession in the attacking half.
- It was noticeable that we threatened more with quick balls up to the strikers, because whenever we had time the quality of the final ball was pretty rubbish.
- Full backs didn't give us anything in attack bar a late flurry from Kenlock pushing up.

All in all, a positive result and in theory mixing it up gives us a better more dangerous style overall. But we don't seem to have stopped that general aimlessness from last season whenever we should be pressuring sides. I lost count of the missed/overhit passes and crosses that just gave the ball back cheaply.

Hopefully we can get better at linking up as the season progresses but that might require different players like Huws and El Mizouni rather than say Judge and Rowe.

Pronouns: He/Him

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:53 - Aug 17 with 1434 viewsChurchman

Lambert doesn’t impress me, but he is here and needs to be allowed to get on with it. The last thing we need is another managerial change. If we were to do that who would we get? An old has been? A wally like shorty Hurst?

I do think Lambert Is trying to do something about the state of the club as a whole as well as the team and should be allowed this season as a minimum.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 17:54]
What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:54 - Aug 17 with 1431 viewsReuser_is_God

Agreed.

Hopefully though once we have people like Huws, Judge, Edwards etc back to full fitness we’ll see that.

Hopefully.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:54 - Aug 17 with 1429 viewsSwailsey

I have my doubts about him now too sadly.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:55 - Aug 17 with 1425 viewsSteve_M

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:41 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Sunderland switched to match us at half time last week which gave them a foothold in the game - I wanted us to bring on Roberts for Norwood (or Jackson) before their goal, placing him wide left and moving Judge infield so we had an upper hand in terms of numbers. The 4-4-2 worked well whilst Sunderland were trying out a wing back system but I woudn't say we were a 'mess' in the second half then, though certainly not as good as the first half.

Today Peterborough were the home team so expected to exert pressure, particularly after the equaliser. Again could we have strengthened the middle in the face of additional attacks?

I think you're right, we probably needed more in midfield. Difficult to leave Jackson on his own up front though (and it would have been him stay on today). Were Judge able to stay on one place that might have worked but he left Roberts too isolated on Tuesday.

Hopefully two home matches will let us establish a pattern again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:57 - Aug 17 with 1415 viewsPlums

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:59 - Aug 17 by ActionMan

We need a striker to play alongside Norwood, a centre half to play alongside Chambers and another full back. He's having to make do with what he's got, he didn't sign Jackson for example and he doesn't look like he can score in any game he plays in! If we had a better striker we'd actually win games but it's the same problem, weak defence, poor up top and 5 more midfielders than we realistically need! Draws are good results for sides like ours.

Norwood didn't win a header all afternoon and it was in fact Jackson who twice controlled high balls and played them back across the box but there was no one there. If our only option is smashing long balls forward, it won't matter who is up front, we'll be here again next season. Lambert failed to change things today but got out of jail.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:06 - Aug 17 with 1388 viewsKeaneish

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:57 - Aug 17 by Plums

Norwood didn't win a header all afternoon and it was in fact Jackson who twice controlled high balls and played them back across the box but there was no one there. If our only option is smashing long balls forward, it won't matter who is up front, we'll be here again next season. Lambert failed to change things today but got out of jail.

Lambert switch to a 442 diamond when El Miz came on.

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:06 - Aug 17 with 1388 viewspointofblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:55 - Aug 17 by Steve_M

I think you're right, we probably needed more in midfield. Difficult to leave Jackson on his own up front though (and it would have been him stay on today). Were Judge able to stay on one place that might have worked but he left Roberts too isolated on Tuesday.

Hopefully two home matches will let us establish a pattern again.

It could possibly be argued that one issue Lambert has is his key lynchpin is hardly fulfiling his brief at the moment. Yes, Judge played wide today and against Sunderland but even then he didn't provide much to the team as a whole. And when he had more of a central role against Luton he didn't stamp his mark on the game.

Still regaining match fitness? Struggling to find a wavelength with his team mates? Having issues motivating himself after failing to instigate a move to QPR? Whatever the issue getting him firing will be key for us fighting for top two and battling to just make a Play Off place IMO.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:09 - Aug 17 with 1382 viewsBlackboots

I’ve just posted that I’m more optimistic than I was before the season started but that’s got more to do with how poor the standard in league one seems to be rather than due to Lambert.

The Norwich team that he got promoted out of this league had several players who were far too good at this level such as Hoolahan, Martin and Holt. Hate to admit it but we don’t have players of their quality.

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:11 - Aug 17 with 1374 viewsbackwaywhen

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:13 - Aug 17 by NthQldITFC

Culverhous?

He was the key to his success at Norwich ... since they fell out he is no good at team tactics , it really has been proven , as he has been pants ever since.
What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:17 - Aug 17 with 1350 viewsCoastalblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:09 - Aug 17 by Blackboots

I’ve just posted that I’m more optimistic than I was before the season started but that’s got more to do with how poor the standard in league one seems to be rather than due to Lambert.

The Norwich team that he got promoted out of this league had several players who were far too good at this level such as Hoolahan, Martin and Holt. Hate to admit it but we don’t have players of their quality.

It could be argued that once the season has gone on a bit both Judge and Huws should come into that category, and there's a chance that the likes of Downes and or Lankester could also fall into that category.

I will concede that one's a fair one from fitness, one's unlikely to stay fit, and one's just not looking very good currently.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:44 - Aug 17 with 1318 viewsSomethingBlue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:09 - Aug 17 by Blackboots

I just think it's far too early to wring our hands. We have had three decent results and are trying to manage a host of injuries/returns from injury. Not sure it's fair to worry overly about the rest *quite* yet.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What is Lambert trying to do? on 19:07 - Aug 17 with 1264 viewsMoriarty

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I still couldn't tell you what he is looking to do with us as a team

You made a valid point following Luton insofar as your thread wondered why Luton’s second outfit (and others) always look more settled than ours.

If I recall correctly, one of the things Lambert mentioned early doors was style of play that was consistent between academy and first team.

I was always of the view Burley was the only candidate who could achieve that. But I’m Mr Minority there.

fka omuircheartaigh

What is Lambert trying to do? on 19:11 - Aug 17 with 1257 viewsNaylorsboots

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:17 - Aug 17 by Coastalblue

It could be argued that once the season has gone on a bit both Judge and Huws should come into that category, and there's a chance that the likes of Downes and or Lankester could also fall into that category.

I will concede that one's a fair one from fitness, one's unlikely to stay fit, and one's just not looking very good currently.

We certainly need more creativity in the middle because the strikers are feeding off scraps. Jackson needs replacing, plenty of effort but that doesnt get goals. We need a target man. Someone tough and rough who can knock the opposition defence about.
What is Lambert trying to do? on 19:29 - Aug 17 with 1232 viewsFrimleyBlue

Do you not think he would have a much better pan with certain players available.

The players we have at the moment in certain positions aren't as good as those coming back into the squad.

Then is the time to question style or plans. At the moment it's making sure we don't lose but also entertaining the fans. Something Mick managed 50% of.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What is Lambert trying to do? on 19:39 - Aug 17 with 1207 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

What is Lambert trying to do? on 18:11 - Aug 17 by backwaywhen

He was the key to his success at Norwich ... since they fell out he is no good at team tactics , it really has been proven , as he has been pants ever since.

If he’s so talented why has he been at Kings Lynn and Grantham since leaving Lambert

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 19:44 - Aug 17 with 1192 viewsLankHenners

On the limited evidence so far this season it seems like we enjoy playing on the counter but lack the confidence/quality to really make it count and when teams make it harder for us to do so we seem to run out of ideas pretty quickly. 2nd half today was like a worse version of Mick’s most desperate stuff but without the big target man to try and get something to stick.

Jackson’s pace can be handy (winning the penalty) but his decision making just isn’t there unfortunately and his technical ability is lacking somewhat as well. We could do with a Murphy/Leon Clarke type to take the pressure off Norwood trying to do everything so he can actually get a chance to test the ‘keeper. Only sniffs at goal were from a keeping howler and a penalty.

Injuries don’t help him but having Judge in when we’re trying to play 442 doesn’t work and only unbalances us, plus Judgey clearly isn’t in his stride at all individually. Chucking El Mizouni on seemed like a throw of the dice as well (though he looks like he has something to offer). With essentially 4 CMs on the pitch it did look as though we went to a bit of a diamond but hard to tell if that was intentional or just because the midfield players naturally drifted into the centre.

Agree with the general point in the thread that we seem to be banking on having better players than everyone else, I’m yet to be properly convinced we’ll grab the league by the scruff of the neck, although, and this is a separate point, I still feel there’s an issue with self-belief throughout the team which a string of wins would help to deal with.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 20:05 - Aug 17 with 1159 viewsITFC_Forever

We have a decent enough squad, albeit a slightly unbalanced one, but as you say, he doesn’t know what his first choice eleven / formation is.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What is Lambert trying to do? on 20:06 - Aug 17 with 1157 viewspointofblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 20:05 - Aug 17 by ITFC_Forever

We have a decent enough squad, albeit a slightly unbalanced one, but as you say, he doesn’t know what his first choice eleven / formation is.

Except he's stuck to 4-4-2 and only made two changes so far from opening day, one enforced and one bringing the suspended captain into the line up?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024