Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes, what a moron 15:10 - Jul 27 with 10784 viewsSamWhiteUK

He might not be banned but I certainly wouldn't play him vs Burton, or for a few games after. Has to learn a lesson - he needs to grow up. So do people chanting "he's one of our own". Made me feel physically sick to see a Town player blow up like that, a real sour taste in the mouth.

As for people saying "he's only a kid", if he's old enough to be playing professionally he's old enough to know better. WHAT an idiot. It's a bloody friendly
Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:44 - Jul 27 with 2260 viewstextbackup

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:42 - Jul 27 by pointofblue

If he doesn't spend most of it suspended. Challenges which are mistimed I have a degree of sympathy for but not for something completely within his control.

I mean, he's done it once, if this was his 7th red id understand

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:50 - Jul 27 with 2256 viewsPhilTWTD

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:37 - Jul 27 by tpsontour

Friendly or not, if the ref reports it - and that's more than likely for a clear headbutt - he's looking at the usual violent conduct ban, minimum three matches

I'm reliably informed that unless the FA investigate there won't be a ban.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:51 - Jul 27 with 2237 viewsSamWhiteUK

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:34 - Jul 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

You didn't feel physically sick.

Oh yes of course, because you'd know better than I do
Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:53 - Jul 27 with 2216 viewsMullet

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:50 - Jul 27 by PhilTWTD

What are your thoughts on the incident Phil? I saw the aftermath and a still photo. Doesn’t look like he managed to land it very well given the intent was obviously there.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:56 - Jul 27 with 2208 viewsSamWhiteUK

I knew eventually poeple would come on trying to defend him. There's battle, and then there's violence. You get kids growing up to believe that this is part of the game?! He needs to learn, and learn quickly. It is a more physical league this year, but straight up violence is not condoned at any level.

He didn't even jump up and 'butt him straight away - as has been said, he pushed, then they squared up, there was a moments pause where he could have made the decision, but then apparently he'd rather try and prove he's a big man and he decided on the headbutt. GOT to learn to control it and if he keeps getting himself into these situations then we can't play him, hell be a liability. Just like Hyam was.
Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:58 - Jul 27 with 2200 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:51 - Jul 27 by SamWhiteUK

Oh yes of course, because you'd know better than I do

So we're you heaving in the stand?

I get why you said it, just seems very unlikely.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:59 - Jul 27 with 2191 viewsSwansea_Blue

Balls, so he could have got a away with a sneaky knee to the happy sack as well...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:00 - Jul 27 with 2189 viewsSamWhiteUK

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:58 - Jul 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

So we're you heaving in the stand?

I get why you said it, just seems very unlikely.

Perhaps I used the wrong term. It turned my stomach out of shock maybe? Surprise? Not sick as in vomiting, that would've been weird. I've not been to many games, if any, that I can remember where a Town player has been the aggressor, it was just a feeling of disappointment
Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:00 - Jul 27 with 2183 viewsunstableblue

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:36 - Jul 27 by Coco

Made you feel physically sick?? Jesus Christ!

We’ve lacked real fight for ages. He just needs to channel it. Played really well today and is learning all the time wuth a fantastic attitude.

His performances have been a highlight of pre-season and that has had a lot to do with his increased aggression.

Ipswich have had a powder puff midfield for so long.

Magilton was not just a brilliant playmaker - he had an edge.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:02 - Jul 27 with 2172 viewsunstableblue

That is a relief Phil. Him, Judge and Norwood probably key to promotion.

Was the Cambridge tackle nasty? That may stop them reporting it, or provide some mitigation.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:04 - Jul 27 with 2159 viewspointofblue

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:00 - Jul 27 by unstableblue

His performances have been a highlight of pre-season and that has had a lot to do with his increased aggression.

Was he ever censored for a headbutt? Thinking about it, he probably was at one stage or another and that's ignoring whatever happened with Buszaky at Queens Park Rangers.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:05 - Jul 27 with 2153 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:00 - Jul 27 by SamWhiteUK

Perhaps I used the wrong term. It turned my stomach out of shock maybe? Surprise? Not sick as in vomiting, that would've been weird. I've not been to many games, if any, that I can remember where a Town player has been the aggressor, it was just a feeling of disappointment

A headbutt in football is rarely particularly violent, but it's still not acceptable.

If I were to ever get into a fight, I'd want it to be on a professional football pitch, as I would know that I wouldn't get hurt!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:07 - Jul 27 with 2149 viewsPhilTWTD

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 15:53 - Jul 27 by Mullet

What are your thoughts on the incident Phil? I saw the aftermath and a still photo. Doesn’t look like he managed to land it very well given the intent was obviously there.

I wasn't there so I can't really comment. There does seem to be something of a consensus that it was deserved.
Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:08 - Jul 27 with 2137 viewspointofblue

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:07 - Jul 27 by PhilTWTD

I wasn't there so I can't really comment. There does seem to be something of a consensus that it was deserved.

The headbutt, the red card or both?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:08 - Jul 27 with 2131 viewsMullet

A day off? Blimey.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:11 - Jul 27 with 2129 viewsitfcjoe

It was ridiculous from Downes, the tackle didn’t look that bad (admittedly from the other side of the stand). He’ll need to learn quickly that you can’t react like that - happened at a Accrington and he will be targeted.

Hopefully he isn’t banned as been a standout in pre season, but if he is only has his self to blame

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:16 - Jul 27 with 2098 viewsSouperJim

Good grief get a grip

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:21 - Jul 27 with 2084 viewsSouperJim

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:11 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

It was ridiculous from Downes, the tackle didn’t look that bad (admittedly from the other side of the stand). He’ll need to learn quickly that you can’t react like that - happened at a Accrington and he will be targeted.

Hopefully he isn’t banned as been a standout in pre season, but if he is only has his self to blame

He was rightly unhappy with the challenge, which the man was booked for, given it was a friendly that speaks volumes. The Cambridge player then put his head into Downes first. Downes responded in kind, albeit a little too forcefully.

The rest was handbags.

I don't have much problem with what he did. Yes he could be a bit cleverer in the heat of the moment, but loving his edge and aggressive play. Wouldn't want him to lose that.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:23 - Jul 27 with 2074 viewsPhilTWTD

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:08 - Jul 27 by pointofblue

The headbutt, the red card or both?

Both, I think!
Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:24 - Jul 27 with 2067 viewsfactual_blue

Are you a poor man's Arsene Wenger?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:24 - Jul 27 with 2065 viewsPhilTWTD

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:08 - Jul 27 by Mullet

A day off? Blimey.

I try not to do too many pre-season games, found myself somewhat jaded before the season proper started a few years back when I'd already done about eight friendlies at various levels.
Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:26 - Jul 27 with 2060 viewsPhilTWTD

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:24 - Jul 27 by factual_blue

Are you a poor man's Arsene Wenger?

I am indeed a Euroshop Wenger.

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:27 - Jul 27 with 2047 viewsEwan_Oozami

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:00 - Jul 27 by unstableblue

Didn't Magilton get sent off for laying the boot into Gavin Peacock in one game? i think he was trying to get at the ball which just happened be under Peacock who'd fallen onto it. Peacock had been winding Jim up all game so not surprised he ended up getting a good kicking.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:28 - Jul 27 with 2041 viewsKeaneish

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:11 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

It was a bad one. Studs up as he was turning out which caught him high on his planted foot If he hadn’t had have been so nimble it could have been a lot worse. Nonsense reaction I think we’re all agreed especially given it’s a pre-season friendly.

If Downes receives any FA retribution there needs to be an enquiry. One of the Cambridge lads steamed in with a right cross on his jaw which went unpunished.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Flynn Downes, what a moron on 16:33 - Jul 27 with 2028 viewsHorseboy

This behaviour committed in the street is assault, and is on a football pitch in a professional game.

Lambert should ban him internally and fine him for his behaviour if the FA do not take action.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024