Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do we start to panic? 19:04 - Jul 18 with 20761 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Because the season starts in 16 days and we currently have 0 first team CBs for the Burton game and 1 striker.

EVANS OUT

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

At what point do we start to panic? on 08:43 - Jul 19 with 3897 viewsGarv

At what point do we start to panic? on 21:57 - Jul 18 by BlueBadger

He wants my respect, he can earn it back. He had a blank sheet start of his tenure and proceeded to fill it with nice PR, Improved Performances and a fight-free relegation. Granted, his hand was shocking, but he still played it terribly.
I'll even buy him and the Town legend of his choice a nice dinner, if you like.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 22:01]

Make your mind up, was it a bad hand or a badly played hand?

Also, tying to encourage people to buy a season ticket and buy into watching entertaining football, isn’t something to take the piss out of.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:05 - Jul 19 with 3876 viewsHerbivore

At what point do we start to panic? on 08:43 - Jul 19 by Garv

Make your mind up, was it a bad hand or a badly played hand?

Also, tying to encourage people to buy a season ticket and buy into watching entertaining football, isn’t something to take the piss out of.

You can still play a bad hand either well or badly. It's not an either/or situation.

I'm not sure the football was entertaining for the most part. A few decent games but a lot of dross too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:05 - Jul 19 with 3868 viewsNazemariner

No need to panic whatsoever!

We have more than enough players to cover all positions. The trouble is that most of them aren't particularly good.
At what point do we start to panic? on 09:13 - Jul 19 with 3853 viewsITFC_Forever

At what point do we start to panic? on 08:13 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Do you honestly not think he could have done better? I'm not anti-Lambert by any stretch but so far on the pitch he's not done a great job. Yes the squad he inherited wasn't great but we ought to have picked up more points than we did by the 1st of January and that might have helped us to attract better players. Instead we spent big money (by our standards) on some pretty mediocre players who didn't massively improve us. That's also on Lambert.

It's fairer to judge once he's had preseason and another transfer window, but it's not hard to understand why some people have reservations about him. Not everyone can readily dismiss the, at best, below par job he did in terms of results last season.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 8:22]

The squad to 1st January was hopeless, not sure how he would have done much more.

The players we did bring in in January were the desperate, crap and forgotten for a reason.

And his insistence on playing one up front when we are not good collectively or individually peed me off as well.

Which is why I am not all aboard the Lambert love train, but will judge him this season. He wasn't the saviour, isn't the messiah and it could go either way.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Cometh the hour cometh the Wolf and Ndaba (n/t) on 09:42 - Jul 19 with 3828 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:43 - Jul 19 with 3825 viewsHerbivore

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:13 - Jul 19 by ITFC_Forever

The squad to 1st January was hopeless, not sure how he would have done much more.

The players we did bring in in January were the desperate, crap and forgotten for a reason.

And his insistence on playing one up front when we are not good collectively or individually peed me off as well.

Which is why I am not all aboard the Lambert love train, but will judge him this season. He wasn't the saviour, isn't the messiah and it could go either way.

I think hopeless is a bit strong to be honest, up until the last couple of games under Hurst we weren't exactly getting played off the park and thrashed. And players that Lambert initially seemed to discard, like Nolan, Edwards and Nsiala, ended up back in his side after January when he'd signed some bang average players. I would have given a manager in the MM mould a decent shot at keeping us up from the position we were in when PL came in. Instead the gap to safety grew bigger.

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:51 - Jul 19 with 3815 viewseireblue

What form of panic would you recommend, for any that are so inclined?
At what point do we start to panic? on 09:52 - Jul 19 with 3813 viewsSwansea_Blue

In answer to the OP, about 8 years ago.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:59 - Jul 19 with 3804 viewsSwansea_Blue

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:51 - Jul 19 by eireblue

What form of panic would you recommend, for any that are so inclined?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

At what point do we start to panic? on 10:04 - Jul 19 with 3795 viewsbraveblue

At what point do we start to panic? on 19:07 - Jul 18 by yorkshire

We have Woolfie and Ndaba as well as Donacian and Skuse who can play there

We have Norwood, Roberts and Jackson who all play up front

We are in the 3rd division - we can not afford to have 2-3 senior players for each position

OP said no first team CBs. Skuse? Laugh.

Roberts striker? Laugh.

OP correct. Complete shambles.

At least Marcus is consistent.
At what point do we start to panic? on 10:05 - Jul 19 with 3789 viewsbraveblue

At what point do we start to panic? on 19:21 - Jul 18 by Tendring_Blue

Honestly reading this site today is hilarious. Has everyone forgotten we were relegated?

We are I league 1 now this is the new normal. And I hope if we do one day go up appreciate that the championship is a very elite level to be competing at.

I suggest we all look at our competitors squads. Bit of perspective!

Look at our competitors. Please advise which of them have no first team centre backs for the start if the season.
At what point do we start to panic? on 10:27 - Jul 19 with 3763 viewsBrixtonBlue

At what point do we start to panic? on 08:13 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Do you honestly not think he could have done better? I'm not anti-Lambert by any stretch but so far on the pitch he's not done a great job. Yes the squad he inherited wasn't great but we ought to have picked up more points than we did by the 1st of January and that might have helped us to attract better players. Instead we spent big money (by our standards) on some pretty mediocre players who didn't massively improve us. That's also on Lambert.

It's fairer to judge once he's had preseason and another transfer window, but it's not hard to understand why some people have reservations about him. Not everyone can readily dismiss the, at best, below par job he did in terms of results last season.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 8:22]

Of course he COULD have done better. I COULD have pulled Miranda Richardson when I met her.

I don't think he's done a bad job OR a great job. I think it's too early to judge.

"Yes the squad he inherited wasn't great but we ought to have picked up more points than we did."

Why? You've answered your point with the first part of your sentence there. A crap team is a crap team. You can employ all the tactics in the world - if they're crap they're crap. That's not Lambert's fault.

"We spent big money"?!?! Really? Where did this happen? Even adding "by our standards" is nonsense, unless my memory's failing me.

If Bradley Wiggins did the Tour De France on the bike I cycle to work on, he wouldn't win the Tour De France. And you couldn't blame HIM for that.

I'm not sure how ANYONE can judge Lambert yet. He's had nowhere near enough time and has been hamstrung by lack of windows, lack of options he can attract in those windows, a lack of funds and a lack of quality already here (with a sprinkling of shattered confidence on top).

Expecting any better than he did is expecting miracles IMO.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

At what point do we start to panic? on 10:36 - Jul 19 with 3742 viewsHerbivore

At what point do we start to panic? on 10:27 - Jul 19 by BrixtonBlue

Of course he COULD have done better. I COULD have pulled Miranda Richardson when I met her.

I don't think he's done a bad job OR a great job. I think it's too early to judge.

"Yes the squad he inherited wasn't great but we ought to have picked up more points than we did."

Why? You've answered your point with the first part of your sentence there. A crap team is a crap team. You can employ all the tactics in the world - if they're crap they're crap. That's not Lambert's fault.

"We spent big money"?!?! Really? Where did this happen? Even adding "by our standards" is nonsense, unless my memory's failing me.

If Bradley Wiggins did the Tour De France on the bike I cycle to work on, he wouldn't win the Tour De France. And you couldn't blame HIM for that.

I'm not sure how ANYONE can judge Lambert yet. He's had nowhere near enough time and has been hamstrung by lack of windows, lack of options he can attract in those windows, a lack of funds and a lack of quality already here (with a sprinkling of shattered confidence on top).

Expecting any better than he did is expecting miracles IMO.

Expecting miracles? Blimey. Mick inherited a similarly shambolic situation and kept us up with games to spare. Expecting us to at least have made a bit of a fight of it is hardly turning water into wine stuff.

Our squad wasn't great but was it really significantly worse than the likes of Rotherham, Millwall, Bolton, Wigan etc.? Nope, not for me. I think it's an easy out for Lambert to make out that we were so much more hopeless than everyone else when, on paper at least, our squad wasn't significantly better or worse than the 5 or 6 teams immediately above us. That's why I feel that football wise PL has it all to prove. He did a below par job imo.

And yes, we did spend big money by our standards. Bree, Quaner and Keane were on £20k a week plus, I imagine Judge wasn't on much less and we paid a fee for him too. For all that spending we saw, at best, marginal improvement.

As I said, he deserves preseason and this window to then show what he can do. That doesn't mean people can't be underwhelmed by the job he's done thus far. I'm hopeful he'll come good though, but we'll have to wait and see.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 10:38]

At what point do we start to panic? on 10:42 - Jul 19 with 3724 viewseireblue

At what point do we start to panic? on 09:59 - Jul 19 by Swansea_Blue

Hmmmm, that seems to take quite a lot of energy.

I may try the non-panic thing, with a Gallic shrug throw in towards the end of the season, depending on results.
At what point do we start to panic? on 13:51 - Jul 19 with 3684 viewsActionMan

At what point do we start to panic? on 20:06 - Jul 18 by J2BLUE

The end of the window IMO.

Get Keane and a CB in and suddenly it looks a lot better. I don't understand the people saying we were relegated, what do you expect? Well I expect the basics of a proper squad. I don't think another experienced CB and a striker is asking too much.

What is very clear is that we have a real chance of staying down and becoming an established league one side. Plan A is promotion on a budget. Plan B will be more cuts, more sales and accepting league one as our new normal.

I think we've been in Plan B mode since the Leeds game!
At what point do we start to panic? on 14:02 - Jul 19 with 3673 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

At what point do we start to panic? on 07:22 - Jul 19 by StokieBlue

Fair enough.

I think there is a chance Jackson will come good if he's given the right service, certainly in this league where the defenders just won't be as good.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Lambert. His hands are tied but he didn't really play Roberts once he managed to get a few strikers in on loan.

SB

I actually quite like Jackson and will be disappointed to see him leave if it happens. Similar to Harrison for me.

Exactly - that’s what I mean. As soon as he had an opportunity to play new strikers, he did. So I’d hope that says enough about the idea of Roberts as a striker for us going forward. We need better than a makeshift striker.

Keane would be perfect if we could afford him as the thought of him and Norwood up front is just delicious.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

At what point do we start to panic? on 14:25 - Jul 19 with 3651 viewsBrixtonBlue

At what point do we start to panic? on 10:36 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Expecting miracles? Blimey. Mick inherited a similarly shambolic situation and kept us up with games to spare. Expecting us to at least have made a bit of a fight of it is hardly turning water into wine stuff.

Our squad wasn't great but was it really significantly worse than the likes of Rotherham, Millwall, Bolton, Wigan etc.? Nope, not for me. I think it's an easy out for Lambert to make out that we were so much more hopeless than everyone else when, on paper at least, our squad wasn't significantly better or worse than the 5 or 6 teams immediately above us. That's why I feel that football wise PL has it all to prove. He did a below par job imo.

And yes, we did spend big money by our standards. Bree, Quaner and Keane were on £20k a week plus, I imagine Judge wasn't on much less and we paid a fee for him too. For all that spending we saw, at best, marginal improvement.

As I said, he deserves preseason and this window to then show what he can do. That doesn't mean people can't be underwhelmed by the job he's done thus far. I'm hopeful he'll come good though, but we'll have to wait and see.

Mick DID perform a miracle IMO. I also think our team now is a lot worse than he inherited, but that's just a matter of opinion.

From where we were when Lambert took over we clearly were/are worse than the teams you mention.

I also don't know how you know what the loan players were on, but Lambert hardly splashed the cash. There is no cash to be splashed!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

At what point do we start to panic? on 15:25 - Jul 19 with 3630 viewsJ2BLUE

At what point do we start to panic? on 08:18 - Jul 19 by BlueBadger

For better or for worse, it's my opinion. I'm not going to change it because people don't like it. I might if he gives me some evidence for changing it.

It's not that you have an opinion, it's that you say you'll give him a chance while openly admitting you'll continue your silly snippy little digs and think you can justify it by saying you'll admit you were wrong if he comes good.

Obviously you can take whatever stance you want but i'll continue to call it what it is.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

At what point do we start to panic? on 16:01 - Jul 19 with 3581 viewsHerbivore

At what point do we start to panic? on 14:25 - Jul 19 by BrixtonBlue

Mick DID perform a miracle IMO. I also think our team now is a lot worse than he inherited, but that's just a matter of opinion.

From where we were when Lambert took over we clearly were/are worse than the teams you mention.

I also don't know how you know what the loan players were on, but Lambert hardly splashed the cash. There is no cash to be splashed!

Mick did what he always does: a good, solid job. There was no miracle involved.

I disagree with your assessment about our squad relative to those above us. And in any case, the gap to those sides - Bolton aside - carried on growing after Lambert came in, which isn't suggestive of him doing a great job.

The wages of the loanees have been discussed on here widely. We did spend a fair bit in January, most of it wasted in the end.

Agree to disagree, basically.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 16:02]

At what point do we start to panic? on 16:14 - Jul 19 with 3551 viewsMullet

At what point do we start to panic? on 08:35 - Jul 19 by artsbossbeard

To clarify, PL got things organised on defending corners, where before it looked like a free for all.

Set piece wise too, we no longer had 48 players around the ball wanting to take the free kick but set free kick takers dependent on the free kick position to also include the centre back pairing looking interested at the back stick.

Quite, but I've deposited things in toilets with more tactical nous than Paul Hurst. There's very little way to avoid the fact that Lambert's job once he had had a window was still poor. We didn't ever get close to overtaking Bolton.

Last season was utterly shameful all round unfortunately.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

At what point do we start to panic? on 16:15 - Jul 19 with 3549 viewsballycastle

It seems that most posters have witnessed a div 3 side in the 3rd round of the FA cup and assume that this is how they play every week.
At what point do we start to panic? on 16:16 - Jul 19 with 3545 viewsMullet

At what point do we start to panic? on 16:01 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Mick did what he always does: a good, solid job. There was no miracle involved.

I disagree with your assessment about our squad relative to those above us. And in any case, the gap to those sides - Bolton aside - carried on growing after Lambert came in, which isn't suggestive of him doing a great job.

The wages of the loanees have been discussed on here widely. We did spend a fair bit in January, most of it wasted in the end.

Agree to disagree, basically.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 16:02]

You need to let Mick go mate. Facts and stuff have no place here.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

At what point do we start to panic? on 19:40 - Jul 19 with 3442 viewsBlueorder

To be honest i'm expecting to be in a bit of panic most of next season.
At what point do we start to panic? on 08:58 - Jul 21 with 3193 viewstractorboy1978

At what point do we start to panic? on 10:36 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Mick inherited a shambolic situation but the quality of the squad was greater than Lambert inherited. I don't think that can really be disputed.

Henderson, Chambers, Edwards, Higgingbottom, Cresswell, N'Daw, Reo-Coker, Wellens, Murphy, DJ Campbell, Chopra, Scotland. There is a lot of quality and Championshio experience amongst that lot.

I am not taking away from the cracking job MM did - he turned the ship around quickly and did a great job. But Lambert inherited a squad that fundamentally wasn't good enough, not one that was under performing.
At what point do we start to panic? on 09:17 - Jul 21 with 3222 viewsxrayspecs

No need to panic.

We have enough players who can cover in the centre until Chambers and Toto are back, including Woolfenden and potentially Nbada. The lad on trial has pedigree at this level and could come into the equation.

We have Norwood and Jackson up front (looks like we are going to play one through the middle) with El Miz, Judge, Dozzell capable of playing in the Number 10 role behind a central forward. Jackson can play through the centre

Agree that another forward plus another experienced defender would give us some additional strength in depth, but no need to panic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024