Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
R.I.P. 16:19 - Jul 5 with 14997 viewscatch74

John McCririck.

Trying to remember what he called his wife.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2019 16:53]

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

R.I.P. on 20:58 - Jul 5 with 2800 viewsSwansea_Blue

R.I.P. on 20:08 - Jul 5 by The_Romford_Blue

Well said.

Cheers. I have my moments, albeit not often.

I think it hit home with me as I don’t feel I’ve had a purpose for some time (apart from making you lot look good!).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

R.I.P. on 21:34 - Jul 5 with 2765 viewsSpruceMoose

R.I.P. on 20:46 - Jul 5 by The_Romford_Blue

You didn’t like him. We get it.

But I just find it very distasteful to say this stuff on a thread about his death.

Some would say it’s just plain disrespectful.

Those people would be turning a blind eye to reality just because he was a popular figure from their hobby.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

R.I.P. on 22:01 - Jul 5 with 2761 viewsGuthrum

Remember seeing him at Cheltenham racecourse some years ago. There was a bloke standing in front of him, pointing and saying "I know who you are. You're that bloke off the telly. Hur hur hur." over and over again. McCririck (who I think had been trying to talk to the bookies) had a face like thunder.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

R.I.P. on 23:13 - Jul 5 with 2736 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

R.I.P. on 21:34 - Jul 5 by SpruceMoose

Those people would be turning a blind eye to reality just because he was a popular figure from their hobby.

No. That’s not the point I’m making at all.

He could be someone I’ve never heard of who was a leading figure in the knitting community and I’d make the same points.

It’s an RIP thread. Have some respect.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

R.I.P. on 00:07 - Jul 6 with 2717 viewsSpruceMoose

R.I.P. on 23:13 - Jul 5 by The_Romford_Blue

No. That’s not the point I’m making at all.

He could be someone I’ve never heard of who was a leading figure in the knitting community and I’d make the same points.

It’s an RIP thread. Have some respect.

Respect? If you want to discuss respect I can give you a great example of where you unashamedly lacked respect, so I wouldn't sling that accusation at me or base your argument around it if I were you.

You're only seeing things from your own point of view. Dying doesn't mean people can't discuss the true nature of people. People are complex and to trying to deny that is foolish. You're only getting upset because it's something and someone you're interested in. That doesn't mean you get to shut other voices out though.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 6:01]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

R.I.P. on 00:33 - Jul 6 with 2706 viewsRyorry

R.I.P. on 20:46 - Jul 5 by The_Romford_Blue

You didn’t like him. We get it.

But I just find it very distasteful to say this stuff on a thread about his death.

Some would say it’s just plain disrespectful.

He wasn't exactly respectful himself, esp towards some women.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 0:39]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

R.I.P. on 00:45 - Jul 6 with 2690 viewsSpruceMoose

R.I.P. on 00:33 - Jul 6 by Ryorry

He wasn't exactly respectful himself, esp towards some women.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 0:39]

Apparently when you die that doesn't matter.

R.I.P. on 04:24 - Jul 6 with 2674 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

R.I.P. on 00:07 - Jul 6 by SpruceMoose

Respect? If you want to discuss respect I can give you a great example of where you unashamedly lacked respect, so I wouldn't sling that accusation at me or base your argument around it if I were you.

You're only seeing things from your own point of view. Dying doesn't mean people can't discuss the true nature of people. People are complex and to trying to deny that is foolish. You're only getting upset because it's something and someone you're interested in. That doesn't mean you get to shut other voices out though.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 6:01]

Go on then sprucey - let’s hear it? Since you appear to want to make this personal as you always do. What’s your brilliant example? Unless you’re talking about the time I said you were being a prick? Which you was. And I stand by. And it was a year ago now so isn’t really relevant to this is it? But now you’ve made the threat, I’d like to see your ‘great example of where you unashamedly lacked respect’.

It’s got nothing to do with being about someone in racing. You can believe that or not. It’s the principle that you (not just you) have clicked on a thread about someone’s death to make a point. Say someone in politics died, for arguments sake Corbyn, and a poster on here made a point about him being antisemitic in their view on the RIP thread, I’d be equally disgusted. It’s nothing to do with it being John McCririck but just that I clicked this thread and so noticed the clear lack of respect.

It’s a real shame you’ve managed to make a thread about someone’s death into an argument.

Login to get fewer ads

R.I.P. on 04:49 - Jul 6 with 2664 viewsSpruceMoose

R.I.P. on 04:24 - Jul 6 by The_Romford_Blue

Go on then sprucey - let’s hear it? Since you appear to want to make this personal as you always do. What’s your brilliant example? Unless you’re talking about the time I said you were being a prick? Which you was. And I stand by. And it was a year ago now so isn’t really relevant to this is it? But now you’ve made the threat, I’d like to see your ‘great example of where you unashamedly lacked respect’.

It’s got nothing to do with being about someone in racing. You can believe that or not. It’s the principle that you (not just you) have clicked on a thread about someone’s death to make a point. Say someone in politics died, for arguments sake Corbyn, and a poster on here made a point about him being antisemitic in their view on the RIP thread, I’d be equally disgusted. It’s nothing to do with it being John McCririck but just that I clicked this thread and so noticed the clear lack of respect.

It’s a real shame you’ve managed to make a thread about someone’s death into an argument.

I've not made this an argument. You came out swinging because a couple of people dared to point out that he was a complicated personality. You seem to constantly have an inability to see anything from any other than your own sheltered viewpoint. One word that contradicts what you think to be true results in a meltdown. We see it time and time again.

Remember when you compared trans people to chimps? That's what disrespect looks like. Being honest that some people are complex, that people are both good and bad, that when someone passes away that's actually the best time to reflect on their life is not disrespectful. On the contrary, shouting down people who want to discuss the reality of a person's life because you're being too one dimensional in your thinking is not respectful in the slightest.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 6:05]

(No subject) (n/t) on 04:58 - Jul 6 with 2660 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

R.I.P. on 04:49 - Jul 6 by SpruceMoose

I've not made this an argument. You came out swinging because a couple of people dared to point out that he was a complicated personality. You seem to constantly have an inability to see anything from any other than your own sheltered viewpoint. One word that contradicts what you think to be true results in a meltdown. We see it time and time again.

Remember when you compared trans people to chimps? That's what disrespect looks like. Being honest that some people are complex, that people are both good and bad, that when someone passes away that's actually the best time to reflect on their life is not disrespectful. On the contrary, shouting down people who want to discuss the reality of a person's life because you're being too one dimensional in your thinking is not respectful in the slightest.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 6:05]

As I told you at the time, it was a quote from the Ricky Gervais sketch in Hunanity. I’ll even find the quote for you holdup..

https://www.indy100.com/article/ricky-gervais-transphobic-joke-netflix-special-t

You’re out of order for suggesting it was anything but that.

Edit - And here’s the thread for those wondering what Spruce is referring to. Pages 3 and 4 the relevant bits.
‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ by The_Romford_Blue 18 Mar 2019 15:51
It’s baffling this stuff makes the national news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47612616

[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 5:07]

R.I.P. on 05:03 - Jul 6 with 2654 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 04:58 - Jul 6 by The_Romford_Blue

As I told you at the time, it was a quote from the Ricky Gervais sketch in Hunanity. I’ll even find the quote for you holdup..

https://www.indy100.com/article/ricky-gervais-transphobic-joke-netflix-special-t

You’re out of order for suggesting it was anything but that.

Edit - And here’s the thread for those wondering what Spruce is referring to. Pages 3 and 4 the relevant bits.
‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ by The_Romford_Blue 18 Mar 2019 15:51
It’s baffling this stuff makes the national news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47612616

[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 5:07]

You were out of line saying it at the time and it's disappointing that you're doubling down on it it now. You've got no business preaching at me about respect while you're standing by stuff like that.

Linking to that really does you no favours.

"It’s all a load of utter sh*te. There are two genders. That is all."

"Non binary’ and ‘gender fluid’ are just utter nonsense."

"What about someone deciding to indentify as neither man or female? Or as a female on weekdays but as a man on a weekend? Or someone who identifies as a chimp? Where are we at on that?"

I'm blown away by the level of respect in your posts.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 5:15]

R.I.P. on 05:14 - Jul 6 with 2639 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

R.I.P. on 05:03 - Jul 6 by SpruceMoose

You were out of line saying it at the time and it's disappointing that you're doubling down on it it now. You've got no business preaching at me about respect while you're standing by stuff like that.

Linking to that really does you no favours.

"It’s all a load of utter sh*te. There are two genders. That is all."

"Non binary’ and ‘gender fluid’ are just utter nonsense."

"What about someone deciding to indentify as neither man or female? Or as a female on weekdays but as a man on a weekend? Or someone who identifies as a chimp? Where are we at on that?"

I'm blown away by the level of respect in your posts.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 5:15]

Doubling down on it? There’s nothing to double down on. It’s literally a quote I threw in quite obviously as a joke. As soon as someone (you) hadn’t clicked it was a quote, I clarified.

And now you’re bringing it back up without any context claiming I’m comparing transgender people with Chimps. That’s clearly not the case.

This post has been edited by an administrator

R.I.P. on 05:22 - Jul 6 with 2629 viewsSpruceMoose

R.I.P. on 05:14 - Jul 6 by The_Romford_Blue

Doubling down on it? There’s nothing to double down on. It’s literally a quote I threw in quite obviously as a joke. As soon as someone (you) hadn’t clicked it was a quote, I clarified.

And now you’re bringing it back up without any context claiming I’m comparing transgender people with Chimps. That’s clearly not the case.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Remember those afternoons you skipped school? You would have been better off staying in class.

Seeing as you want to get personal, I won't name names either but there's plenty of people on here who have a less than favorable opinion of you. On this showing its hard to disagree. We all have conversations with other forum members. You're not special.

All this because you cant cope with people pointing out that JM was a complicated person? Jesus wept, you've a lot of growing up to do yourself.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 5:54]

R.I.P. on 05:39 - Jul 6 with 2621 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

R.I.P. on 05:22 - Jul 6 by SpruceMoose

Remember those afternoons you skipped school? You would have been better off staying in class.

Seeing as you want to get personal, I won't name names either but there's plenty of people on here who have a less than favorable opinion of you. On this showing its hard to disagree. We all have conversations with other forum members. You're not special.

All this because you cant cope with people pointing out that JM was a complicated person? Jesus wept, you've a lot of growing up to do yourself.

That’s fine. Plenty of people know me from here in real life. I’m the exact same person. Everyone who’s met me (15 people at least) will agree with that.

Because unlike you, I’m not trying desperately to be liked on here for attention. You’re all mouth. You wouldn’t say any of the stuff you do to people if it wasn’t behind a screen under the persona of a moose. Prod at people.

It’s about time someone called you out on it for the nasty w**ker that you are. I’m quite happy for Phil to ban me now and let this be my last post. At least I’m going out knowing I’ve said what so many think. You’re far far worse than the people like Benters you desperately wanted rid of.

The thing you don’t understand here is that your prodding and niggling and all round nastiness is fine to you behind a screen. People have their own problems and you effectively are trolling them. I’m off to the racing in four hours so I’m going to sleep.

Mods - Please ban me if you’re going to delete this thread. I’d rather people saw Spruce for the nasty piece of work he is.

R.I.P. on 05:40 - Jul 6 with 2619 viewsRyorry

R.I.P. on 05:22 - Jul 6 by SpruceMoose

Cripes, it's waaaay too early for a row - you two need to go back to bed - whether separately or together is of course up to you both!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

R.I.P. on 05:53 - Jul 6 with 2609 viewsSpruceMoose

R.I.P. on 05:39 - Jul 6 by The_Romford_Blue

That’s fine. Plenty of people know me from here in real life. I’m the exact same person. Everyone who’s met me (15 people at least) will agree with that.

Because unlike you, I’m not trying desperately to be liked on here for attention. You’re all mouth. You wouldn’t say any of the stuff you do to people if it wasn’t behind a screen under the persona of a moose. Prod at people.

It’s about time someone called you out on it for the nasty w**ker that you are. I’m quite happy for Phil to ban me now and let this be my last post. At least I’m going out knowing I’ve said what so many think. You’re far far worse than the people like Benters you desperately wanted rid of.

The thing you don’t understand here is that your prodding and niggling and all round nastiness is fine to you behind a screen. People have their own problems and you effectively are trolling them. I’m off to the racing in four hours so I’m going to sleep.

Mods - Please ban me if you’re going to delete this thread. I’d rather people saw Spruce for the nasty piece of work he is.

I don't think Phil needs to ban anyone. I don't care that you've called me a prïck. I'd have to attribute some value to the things you say for that, and I really don't.

I repeat - This whole tantrum is because you don't like that some posters want to discuss that JM was a complex person. Instead of allowing that you want to accuse them of disrespect and shut them down. Well I'm sorry, you don't gatekeep that. I know horse racing is your 'thing', but you don't own all discussions around it. I'd happily point out in person that it's perfectly ok to discuss the reality of a public figures persona, but if you reacted in person like you have here then I'd feel pretty embarrassed for you.

R.I.P. on 08:04 - Jul 6 with 2564 viewswkj

R.I.P. on 05:39 - Jul 6 by The_Romford_Blue

This is an incredibly assuming and dramatic post. As someone who knows spruce behind the screen he is like this in person too. The key thing here is nuance and online anonymity, a lot of the things you throw at Spruce here would be a non issue in person.

I am not necessarily saying that its right or wrong, I am no arbiter of humanity- though I am saying you've gone WAY overboard here by instructing Phil/Gav what to do because your opinion has been challenged.

Although I can understand why I'll be accused of bias, I have stepped back and been more objective over the few months and been way more neutral on the board, but the fact this has escalated to this point and the vitriolic accusations tossed around is quite frankly embarrassing, not only for you but for spruce, me, mods and pretty much everyone else that has to read this.

My personal opinion that this thread should be nuked to save you both a bit of face to be honest.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

R.I.P. on 09:27 - Jul 6 with 2529 viewsTrequartista

R.I.P. on 16:45 - Jul 5 by The_Romford_Blue

John McCririck, RIP (n/t) by SitfcB 5 Jul 2019 10:49

RIP. One of the good ones.

Isn't it nasty how the far left cancel old people for not obeying their laws.

R.I.P.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

R.I.P. on 09:32 - Jul 6 with 2524 viewsgtsb

R.I.P. on 08:04 - Jul 6 by wkj

This is an incredibly assuming and dramatic post. As someone who knows spruce behind the screen he is like this in person too. The key thing here is nuance and online anonymity, a lot of the things you throw at Spruce here would be a non issue in person.

I am not necessarily saying that its right or wrong, I am no arbiter of humanity- though I am saying you've gone WAY overboard here by instructing Phil/Gav what to do because your opinion has been challenged.

Although I can understand why I'll be accused of bias, I have stepped back and been more objective over the few months and been way more neutral on the board, but the fact this has escalated to this point and the vitriolic accusations tossed around is quite frankly embarrassing, not only for you but for spruce, me, mods and pretty much everyone else that has to read this.

My personal opinion that this thread should be nuked to save you both a bit of face to be honest.

I cant read what spruce writes as i divi listed him. For me he ruins this forum and i think a few posters who used to frequent this forum have decided to take a step back for the same reason.
R.I.P. on 09:32 - Jul 6 with 2525 viewswkj

R.I.P. on 09:27 - Jul 6 by Trequartista

Isn't it nasty how the far left cancel old people for not obeying their laws.

R.I.P.

Too right, thank goodness that didn't happen here

R.I.P. on 09:33 - Jul 6 with 2520 viewsgtsb

R.I.P. on 16:45 - Jul 5 by The_Romford_Blue

John McCririck, RIP (n/t) by SitfcB 5 Jul 2019 10:49

RIP. One of the good ones.

Funeral service will be from the house at 10/1
Followed by burial at his local graveyard at 5/2
Refreshments at the local working men’s club at 5/4
R.I.P. on 09:41 - Jul 6 with 2512 viewswkj

R.I.P. on 09:32 - Jul 6 by gtsb

I cant read what spruce writes as i divi listed him. For me he ruins this forum and i think a few posters who used to frequent this forum have decided to take a step back for the same reason.

For every person who has someone DM them because they're leaving due to Y, another person gets a DM because someone else is leaving due to X.

My post isn't to blindly defend anyone, but to snap at the public display of battle lines being drawn, to the point people are giving permission/instructions for moderators to act. It nearly always stems from the same scenario, someone gets really p*ssed off because someone else counters their belief, the art of discussion and debate is lost on here because far too many people take it way too personal.

R.I.P. on 09:57 - Jul 6 with 2489 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

R.I.P. on 09:41 - Jul 6 by wkj

For every person who has someone DM them because they're leaving due to Y, another person gets a DM because someone else is leaving due to X.

My post isn't to blindly defend anyone, but to snap at the public display of battle lines being drawn, to the point people are giving permission/instructions for moderators to act. It nearly always stems from the same scenario, someone gets really p*ssed off because someone else counters their belief, the art of discussion and debate is lost on here because far too many people take it way too personal.

I was just about to remove my posts but I’m going to leave them up with the added being that I see he’s gone back and edited his posts. All the personal comments aimed at me telling me why people don’t like me on here and listed half a dozen things he’s apparently been told about me from other posters has been edited. In fact most of his posts have been edited back - removing all the things that made me react.

It’s clever. I just thought i should clarify that as he’ll pretend he simply did nothing as always.

GTSB - I agree 100% with you. I posted a lot less at uni and watched him on the infrequent times I returned choosing posters like Benters and J2 to prod at. Very unsavoury. Bullying even.

I’m off to the racing now. I just wanted to clarify things as his editing very much changes the complexion of this thread.

For what it’s worth, I too choose not to post anymore with Spruce ruining the board for me. See many of you at Portman Road in August for some scenes.

R.I.P. on 10:14 - Jul 6 with 2468 viewswkj

R.I.P. on 09:57 - Jul 6 by The_Romford_Blue

I was just about to remove my posts but I’m going to leave them up with the added being that I see he’s gone back and edited his posts. All the personal comments aimed at me telling me why people don’t like me on here and listed half a dozen things he’s apparently been told about me from other posters has been edited. In fact most of his posts have been edited back - removing all the things that made me react.

It’s clever. I just thought i should clarify that as he’ll pretend he simply did nothing as always.

GTSB - I agree 100% with you. I posted a lot less at uni and watched him on the infrequent times I returned choosing posters like Benters and J2 to prod at. Very unsavoury. Bullying even.

I’m off to the racing now. I just wanted to clarify things as his editing very much changes the complexion of this thread.

For what it’s worth, I too choose not to post anymore with Spruce ruining the board for me. See many of you at Portman Road in August for some scenes.

You came across pretty balanced there and ruined it with the last line issuing a moral ultimatum of sorts, a passive aggressive him or me battle line. That is the sort of thing where my comment about way to dramatic stems from.

R.I.P. on 10:19 - Jul 6 with 2463 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

R.I.P. on 10:14 - Jul 6 by wkj

You came across pretty balanced there and ruined it with the last line issuing a moral ultimatum of sorts, a passive aggressive him or me battle line. That is the sort of thing where my comment about way to dramatic stems from.

Not at all. He’s smart enough not to get himself banned so I choose me. So it isn’t him or me. If Phil doesn’t ban me, I just choose not to post for a while now anyway.

For what it’s worth, this was the sort of baiting (three days ago) that I was referring to:
Please make it stop by SpruceMoose 3 Jul 2019 19:49
He should be spending his summer like a normal kid - looking for porn in a skip, cutting lawns, placing large accumulator bets, petting greyhounds and eating nothing but takeaway.

There’s no drama on my part. I gave my opinions - albeit angrily last night. I stick by them. He wanted a bite and I rose. That’s my stupidity. I don’t like that he has then gone back and edited his posts and removed the things he used to bait me with though. That’s very cowardly in my view.

But what is done is done. Eventually he’ll slip up and get himself banned. Just a waiting game.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024