Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So the season starts in a month 09:33 - Jul 4 with 5259 viewschicoazul

and we have no established full backs, only 2 centre backs 1 of whom is very creaky now, only 2 centre forwards, no real cover out wide, and our keeper is carrying an injury that prevented him from signing for someone else.
Going well so far isnt it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So the season starts in a month on 10:10 - Jul 4 with 1069 viewsblueislander

So the season starts in a month on 10:02 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

I just dont understand why haven't signed a few defenders already when we clearly need some. Everyone keeps saying we are a big fish in this league, will have no problem attracting players etc.
We all know where a spirit of optimism got us this time last year. Horrible feeling about the Eternal Return theory here boyos.

If this eternal pessimism keeps you happy then carry on posting negatives. Some of us may prefer to think that we have lots of players more than capable of shining at this level, and are quietly optimistic about the coming season.
So the season starts in a month on 10:11 - Jul 4 with 1067 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 09:51 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

Every League One club has basically 14 first team players, half of whom are centre midfielders, 2 forwards 2 full backs and 2 centre halves? I think we should aim to do ever so slightly better than MK Dons' usual aspirations.

14?

Would you care to name the 14 'first team players' we have.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

So the season starts in a month on 10:13 - Jul 4 with 1063 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 09:52 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

I saw Donacien play for Acc Stan on the telly last season. If he is our cover defender we got problems.

And some of us saw him play out of his skin keeping both £40m rated Grealish and Adomah quiet at the same time when they doubled up on him.

So there's as much chance he's the best full back in the Championship as the worst one in League One on that evidence. Perhaps he can be given some time for us to properly access.

I remember Taricco being awful and being written off, just as much as I remember people hailing Chopra as the man to take us up after his debut.

So the season starts in a month on 10:16 - Jul 4 with 1062 viewsDyland

suq

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So the season starts in a month on 10:25 - Jul 4 with 1032 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 10:10 - Jul 4 by blueislander

If this eternal pessimism keeps you happy then carry on posting negatives. Some of us may prefer to think that we have lots of players more than capable of shining at this level, and are quietly optimistic about the coming season.

Like this time last season, right?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So the season starts in a month on 10:28 - Jul 4 with 1020 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 10:16 - Jul 4 by Dyland

suq

Hmph.

So the season starts in a month on 10:33 - Jul 4 with 1006 viewsblueislander

So the season starts in a month on 10:25 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

Like this time last season, right?

The reasons for the optimism before last season were that we had a new manager about whom we knew very little, except that he had been successful the previous season. There was barely a dissenting voice on here about his appointment. This season we have a manager that has been in situ for several months and knows his players and their capabilities. He has a proven track record at this level. The team showed that they could play very attractive football , and got some decent results towards the end of the season at a higher level. Grounds for optimism in my view , but you are stuck with your negativity, and it is pointless to argue differently with you.
So the season starts in a month on 10:34 - Jul 4 with 998 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 10:33 - Jul 4 by blueislander

The reasons for the optimism before last season were that we had a new manager about whom we knew very little, except that he had been successful the previous season. There was barely a dissenting voice on here about his appointment. This season we have a manager that has been in situ for several months and knows his players and their capabilities. He has a proven track record at this level. The team showed that they could play very attractive football , and got some decent results towards the end of the season at a higher level. Grounds for optimism in my view , but you are stuck with your negativity, and it is pointless to argue differently with you.

I hope you're right, but I see very little grounds for optimism I'm afraid.

Login to get fewer ads

So the season starts in a month on 10:35 - Jul 4 with 999 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 10:11 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

14?

Would you care to name the 14 'first team players' we have.

By my reckoning we have

Holy, Bialkowski (2)

Donacien, Chambers, Nsiala, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Woolfenden (6)

Edwards, Skuse, Nolan, Bishop, Nydam, Rowe, Roberts, Downes, Dozzell, Judge, Huws* (10)

Norwood, Jackson, Sears*, Drinan, Folami*, Morris*, El Mizouni (7)

25 players with first team experience. 21 that are fit. So quite a bit higher than you claimed.

Now go and find a club outside of Sunderland, Pompey and Peterborough that have 25 players under contract in League One who have made a first team appearance.

So the season starts in a month on 10:36 - Jul 4 with 996 viewstextbackup

So the season starts in a month on 09:36 - Jul 4 by Steve_M

The Bart thing isn't significant is it, not selling him might be but an old injury that hasn't affected him isn't that concerning.

The rest of it is something of a mess, Wolfenden can probably play some matches this year but expecting him to be a regular is a lot. All seems just as half-arsed as recent years under McCarthy int hat we sign good players but not enough of them.

may I ask why its a lot to ask of the wolf? matt Clarke did it for pompy, and wolf played many games in l2 last season

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So the season starts in a month on 10:37 - Jul 4 with 995 viewshampstead_blue

normally you have to wait for players to move to oil the wheels.....hopefully then we can get some out, free-up budget, and get some in.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

So the season starts in a month on 10:38 - Jul 4 with 989 viewsblueislander

So the season starts in a month on 10:34 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

I hope you're right, but I see very little grounds for optimism I'm afraid.

You wouldn't . It is unnatural for you it seems.
So the season starts in a month on 10:38 - Jul 4 with 988 viewsKeaneish

So the season starts in a month on 09:48 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You do realise we are in League One now.

The drop off in quality is immense. Kenlock looked good in 25% of his Championship games, okay in 25% and poor in 50%. In League One that makes him a pretty decent player most weeks.

Emmanuel is what you would call a solid League One full back. Donacien would be classed as the same.

They won't be the best full backs in the division and I'm sure we will look to upgrade, but they aren't going to be up against Mason Mount, Albert Adomah or Tom Lawrence. They'll be up against people like Danny Rowe!

I think the main issue as ITFCJoe said in another thread is that the club isn't living up to the rhetoric we bought in to at the end of last season. All business should be done by now, which it clearly isn't. We can't rely on Kenlock at LB to deliver across a potential 50+ games too big an ask, equally so for Norwood.

Any manager in this division would love to have our squad as it is but we all wanted to have a solid squad with all the right pieces in place ready for a good pre-season to give us the right platform to start the season well. Currently, there are a few holes and a litany of false statements that have caused a lot of questions to be raised. And, as ever, we're looking at ME scratching our heads...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So the season starts in a month on 10:39 - Jul 4 with 981 viewsBiGDonnie

So the season starts in a month on 09:36 - Jul 4 by Steve_M

The Bart thing isn't significant is it, not selling him might be but an old injury that hasn't affected him isn't that concerning.

The rest of it is something of a mess, Wolfenden can probably play some matches this year but expecting him to be a regular is a lot. All seems just as half-arsed as recent years under McCarthy int hat we sign good players but not enough of them.

I disagree, I think we're making a conscious effort to not just sign players for the sake of it. I also think we have enough with the current squad to challenge next season.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

So the season starts in a month on 10:41 - Jul 4 with 963 viewsHerbivore

So the season starts in a month on 10:38 - Jul 4 by Keaneish

I think the main issue as ITFCJoe said in another thread is that the club isn't living up to the rhetoric we bought in to at the end of last season. All business should be done by now, which it clearly isn't. We can't rely on Kenlock at LB to deliver across a potential 50+ games too big an ask, equally so for Norwood.

Any manager in this division would love to have our squad as it is but we all wanted to have a solid squad with all the right pieces in place ready for a good pre-season to give us the right platform to start the season well. Currently, there are a few holes and a litany of false statements that have caused a lot of questions to be raised. And, as ever, we're looking at ME scratching our heads...

No club ever gets all of their transfer business done by the start of preseason.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So the season starts in a month on 10:42 - Jul 4 with 974 viewsportmanking

So the season starts in a month on 10:36 - Jul 4 by textbackup

may I ask why its a lot to ask of the wolf? matt Clarke did it for pompy, and wolf played many games in l2 last season

I make you right on this occasion. It might not feel right to ask so much of Woolfenden this season, but the reality is he's in his 20's now and needs to be given the platform to make a name for himself.

Ultimately, we've wanted a team of homegrown players, with a smattering of experienced talent to support them, for several seasons now. We're likely to get what we've asked for this season.
So the season starts in a month on 10:47 - Jul 4 with 950 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 10:36 - Jul 4 by textbackup

Because people like to flounce!

Clarke plays in League Two, then steps up into League One and is now in the Premier League.

Yet it's unimaginable for TWTD's to consider Woolfenden could simply become a decent League One defender after hugely impressing at League Two level.

So the season starts in a month on 10:49 - Jul 4 with 947 viewsitfcjoe

So the season starts in a month on 10:35 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

By my reckoning we have

Holy, Bialkowski (2)

Edwards, Skuse, Nolan, Bishop, Nydam, Rowe, Roberts, Downes, Dozzell, Judge, Huws* (10)

25 players with first team experience. 21 that are fit. So quite a bit higher than you claimed.

Now go and find a club outside of Sunderland, Pompey and Peterborough that have 25 players under contract in League One who have made a first team appearance.

The squad is currently totally unbalanced....

GK - In a good position

RB - Whatever our individual thoughts on the players we have one guy who the manager said is a CB, sent him out on loan to Accrington to play LB and didn't put in any of his teams including an FA Cup game where we made loads of changes, and a player who was given a couple of games at the back end of the season one of which he was dragged off at half time in after being sent back from Shrewsbury. It's clear Lambert rated neither which isn't ideal.

LB - Again whatever individual thoughts, we have a player Lambert likes and trusts in Kenlock but nothing else at all. Not good

CB - Chambers was creaking last season - was that due to too much going on? Nsiala will be a good player, Woolfenden looks promising but Ndaba for all talk in press about him had a dire end of season for the U23s where he was hit and miss all season. We are an injury to Nsiala or Chambers away from being in a bit of trouble here.

CM - Well stacked, too well stacked if anything. Almost an argument to be made with regards to trying to lose one of the young CMs to bring in someone in a different position.

Wide - Edwards, who was bombed out after Accrington, should be good enough here. Lankester too. I like Rowe but again a player that was sent out and replaced with Dawkins in squad last season by the manager after he'd had a look at him.

Forwards - Norwood stepping up has a lot of pressure on his shoulders. anything happens to him and we are left with Jackson who can't play up top on his own and Roberts who simply wasn't a goal threat or good enough once the novelty wore off, he was sent out and didn't play

We need, realistically, to get rid of a RB and bring one in, to sign a LB, to sign a CB, to sign at least one wide player and a striker to compete with Norwood.

it's still a hell of a lot to do

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So the season starts in a month on 10:53 - Jul 4 with 927 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 10:49 - Jul 4 by itfcjoe

GK - In a good position

RB - Whatever our individual thoughts on the players we have one guy who the manager said is a CB, sent him out on loan to Accrington to play LB and didn't put in any of his teams including an FA Cup game where we made loads of changes, and a player who was given a couple of games at the back end of the season one of which he was dragged off at half time in after being sent back from Shrewsbury. It's clear Lambert rated neither which isn't ideal.

LB - Again whatever individual thoughts, we have a player Lambert likes and trusts in Kenlock but nothing else at all. Not good

CB - Chambers was creaking last season - was that due to too much going on? Nsiala will be a good player, Woolfenden looks promising but Ndaba for all talk in press about him had a dire end of season for the U23s where he was hit and miss all season. We are an injury to Nsiala or Chambers away from being in a bit of trouble here.

CM - Well stacked, too well stacked if anything. Almost an argument to be made with regards to trying to lose one of the young CMs to bring in someone in a different position.

Wide - Edwards, who was bombed out after Accrington, should be good enough here. Lankester too. I like Rowe but again a player that was sent out and replaced with Dawkins in squad last season by the manager after he'd had a look at him.

Forwards - Norwood stepping up has a lot of pressure on his shoulders. anything happens to him and we are left with Jackson who can't play up top on his own and Roberts who simply wasn't a goal threat or good enough once the novelty wore off, he was sent out and didn't play

We need, realistically, to get rid of a RB and bring one in, to sign a LB, to sign a CB, to sign at least one wide player and a striker to compete with Norwood.

It is massively unbalanced I agree.

But it's also a huge squad at this level and I can't see how people expect us to bring in 4-5 more players to balance it out without some potentially leaving.

Lambert may well want to give everyone a chance in Germany before he goes and uses vital funds on a position that ultimately he feels someone can step up into.

So the season starts in a month on 11:06 - Jul 4 with 900 viewsKeaneish

So the season starts in a month on 10:53 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It is massively unbalanced I agree.

But it's also a huge squad at this level and I can't see how people expect us to bring in 4-5 more players to balance it out without some potentially leaving.

Lambert may well want to give everyone a chance in Germany before he goes and uses vital funds on a position that ultimately he feels someone can step up into.

Agree with Joe on the squad imbalance and your point about PL making some swift decisions post Germany. It's the right positive note to send to players in Germany ie: "you're on trial, do enough to earn your place". Reality is, some of those decisions must surely already be made...

Doancien. Rowe and Roberts being the likely candidates but...

Rowe is needed until Lankester is fit so he has an opportunity and he can do a job on the left.
Donacien is seen as a CB and RB to that's utility to cover a few bases.
Roberts is a LW and FW so again utility comes into the thinking.

The more i think about it, the more i think other than another LB, this is our lot for the season.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So the season starts in a month on 11:12 - Jul 4 with 890 viewsGarv

So the season starts in a month on 09:52 - Jul 4 by ITFC_Forever

Nolan, Nydam, Bishop and Judge can all play out wide, on top of Rowe, Lankester and Gwion.

And Roberts.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

So the season starts in a month on 11:13 - Jul 4 with 886 viewsKieran_Knows

So the season starts in a month on 10:49 - Jul 4 by itfcjoe

GK - In a good position

Plus a keeper when Bart inevitably leaves.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So the season starts in a month on 11:21 - Jul 4 with 873 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 10:38 - Jul 4 by blueislander

You wouldn't . It is unnatural for you it seems.

Hey I was optimistic this time last season!

So the season starts in a month on 11:26 - Jul 4 with 866 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 10:35 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

By my reckoning we have

Holy, Bialkowski (2)

Well firstly, lol at "Sears*, Drinan, Folami*, Morris*, El Mizouni"
Secondly you make my point nicely for me by including many players who either Lambert clearly didn't rate last season or are notoriously injury prone.
Thirdly just look at the state of that defence.
You're right about one thing though, we do indeed have billions of centre midfielders, but amazingly enough still look one Skuse injury away from being thin there in terms of presence.

EDIT; as I said earlier, I really do think we should be aiming to be a bit better in terms of depth than MK Dons for instance, dont you?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 11:28]

So the season starts in a month on 11:33 - Jul 4 with 851 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 11:12 - Jul 4 by Garv

And Roberts.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024