Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So the season starts in a month 09:33 - Jul 4 with 5258 viewschicoazul

and we have no established full backs, only 2 centre backs 1 of whom is very creaky now, only 2 centre forwards, no real cover out wide, and our keeper is carrying an injury that prevented him from signing for someone else.
Going well so far isnt it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So the season starts in a month on 11:35 - Jul 4 with 1850 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 11:26 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

Well firstly, lol at "Sears*, Drinan, Folami*, Morris*, El Mizouni"
Secondly you make my point nicely for me by including many players who either Lambert clearly didn't rate last season or are notoriously injury prone.
Thirdly just look at the state of that defence.
You're right about one thing though, we do indeed have billions of centre midfielders, but amazingly enough still look one Skuse injury away from being thin there in terms of presence.

EDIT; as I said earlier, I really do think we should be aiming to be a bit better in terms of depth than MK Dons for instance, dont you?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 11:28]

In fairness you are just destroying your own point.

This is about how many players we have and the size of our squad. We ARE NOT in the Championship anymore.

Lambert didn't rate most of them last year because they were League One players. We are now in League One. He isn't going to replace them all is he. Hurst tried that. We aren't ripping up the squad again.

You are also mistaking depth will quality.

Have a look through that MK Dons team and tell me which of their players you'd put ahead of ours in a best XI. I'd hazard a guess that they wouldn't have more than 3 players in a combined 11 which is about right.

We aren't going to be better than every other team in every position. Only Man City have that luxury. Harry Maguire is at Leicester and he'd improve Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd.

What we do have is better quality than 20 of the teams in the division already and more depth than 20 as well. We are a League One side.

We have an utterly pathetic amount of quality for a Championship side which is why we went down. At League One level, compare our squad to teams like Doncaster who made the playoffs and Coventry and Blackpool who just missed out and we are miles ahead on quality!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

So the season starts in a month on 11:40 - Jul 4 with 1847 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

We're going to score 14 goals every match, so what if the defence is a bit leaky?

These crabby League 1 teams are going to be slaughtered, week in, week out.

We should be playing a 3-3-4 formation, 5 if we can get away with it.

Ipswich are better than everybody!

What? Oh . . .
So the season starts in a month on 11:44 - Jul 4 with 1825 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 11:35 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

In fairness you are just destroying your own point.

This is about how many players we have and the size of our squad. We ARE NOT in the Championship anymore.

Lambert didn't rate most of them last year because they were League One players. We are now in League One. He isn't going to replace them all is he. Hurst tried that. We aren't ripping up the squad again.

You are also mistaking depth will quality.

Have a look through that MK Dons team and tell me which of their players you'd put ahead of ours in a best XI. I'd hazard a guess that they wouldn't have more than 3 players in a combined 11 which is about right.

We aren't going to be better than every other team in every position. Only Man City have that luxury. Harry Maguire is at Leicester and he'd improve Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd.

What we do have is better quality than 20 of the teams in the division already and more depth than 20 as well. We are a League One side.

We have an utterly pathetic amount of quality for a Championship side which is why we went down. At League One level, compare our squad to teams like Doncaster who made the playoffs and Coventry and Blackpool who just missed out and we are miles ahead on quality!

Well, I hope you're right, and we're about to find out. Although I expect you will have changed your username again come Xmas so sadly we won't be able to tell one another we told each other so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So the season starts in a month on 11:50 - Jul 4 with 1802 viewsdavblue

So the season starts in a month on 10:49 - Jul 4 by itfcjoe

The squad is currently totally unbalanced....

GK - In a good position

RB - Whatever our individual thoughts on the players we have one guy who the manager said is a CB, sent him out on loan to Accrington to play LB and didn't put in any of his teams including an FA Cup game where we made loads of changes, and a player who was given a couple of games at the back end of the season one of which he was dragged off at half time in after being sent back from Shrewsbury. It's clear Lambert rated neither which isn't ideal.

LB - Again whatever individual thoughts, we have a player Lambert likes and trusts in Kenlock but nothing else at all. Not good

CB - Chambers was creaking last season - was that due to too much going on? Nsiala will be a good player, Woolfenden looks promising but Ndaba for all talk in press about him had a dire end of season for the U23s where he was hit and miss all season. We are an injury to Nsiala or Chambers away from being in a bit of trouble here.

CM - Well stacked, too well stacked if anything. Almost an argument to be made with regards to trying to lose one of the young CMs to bring in someone in a different position.

Wide - Edwards, who was bombed out after Accrington, should be good enough here. Lankester too. I like Rowe but again a player that was sent out and replaced with Dawkins in squad last season by the manager after he'd had a look at him.

Forwards - Norwood stepping up has a lot of pressure on his shoulders. anything happens to him and we are left with Jackson who can't play up top on his own and Roberts who simply wasn't a goal threat or good enough once the novelty wore off, he was sent out and didn't play

We need, realistically, to get rid of a RB and bring one in, to sign a LB, to sign a CB, to sign at least one wide player and a striker to compete with Norwood.

it's still a hell of a lot to do

So we are still getting 100 points then?.........

Playoff's at best imo.
So the season starts in a month on 12:19 - Jul 4 with 1772 viewsOsborneOneNil

So the season starts in a month on 11:13 - Jul 4 by Kieran_Knows

Plus a keeper when Bart inevitably leaves.

I think Bart not leaving has had a massive effect on things. His wage was expected to be gone, and so would allow a few in.

I think we'd be better off if Bart left, as good as he was before last season.
So the season starts in a month on 12:38 - Jul 4 with 1745 viewsJ4ck22

It's not really a shock that we're not a complete side at the beginning of july. If it were the case at the start of august, THEN I'd be worried.
So the season starts in a month on 12:52 - Jul 4 with 1724 viewsHerbivore

So the season starts in a month on 12:38 - Jul 4 by J4ck22

It's not really a shock that we're not a complete side at the beginning of july. If it were the case at the start of august, THEN I'd be worried.

Quite. When have we, or any other side really, had all of our transfer business done and dusted by the 4th of July?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So the season starts in a month on 13:06 - Jul 4 with 1712 viewsSouperJim

So the season starts in a month on 11:44 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

Well, I hope you're right, and we're about to find out. Although I expect you will have changed your username again come Xmas so sadly we won't be able to tell one another we told each other so.

I think there is probably some middle ground to be had here. For example:-

LB - Kenlock is the only reconised player, not ideal. However, Emmanuel and Donacien have both played there.

While we do look a little unbalanced and light in some areas, you can't look at the squad with Championship eyes. We have a larger squad already than all but a small handful of other sides in the division. The wage bill needs to be sustainable and within the far more restrictive boundaries of FFP at this level considering our drop in income.

Ideally we'd lose one or two in the areas we are stronger to give us better cover in the positions where we are light. However, we can't easily make this happen. We're also stuck with filler players who Lambert didn't bring into the club and doesn't appear to rate.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Login to get fewer ads

So the season starts in a month on 13:08 - Jul 4 with 1709 viewsGarv

So the season starts in a month on 09:48 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

So at the moment our current team is something like;

Bart
Emmanuel
Chambers
Toto
Kenlock

Skuse
Downes
Bishop

Judge oh wait he's injured, Rowe then
Norwood
Edwards

[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 9:48]

Bart
*Donacien
Woolfenden
Toto
Kenlock

Skuse
Nolan

*Lankester
Judge
Edwards

Norwood

Chambers suspended for Burton. Lankester and Judge should be fine to start.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

So the season starts in a month on 13:31 - Jul 4 with 1666 viewsJimmyJazz

So the season starts in a month on 10:35 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

By my reckoning we have

Holy, Bialkowski (2)

Donacien, Chambers, Nsiala, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Woolfenden (6)

Edwards, Skuse, Nolan, Bishop, Nydam, Rowe, Roberts, Downes, Dozzell, Judge, Huws* (10)

Norwood, Jackson, Sears*, Drinan, Folami*, Morris*, El Mizouni (7)

25 players with first team experience. 21 that are fit. So quite a bit higher than you claimed.

Now go and find a club outside of Sunderland, Pompey and Peterborough that have 25 players under contract in League One who have made a first team appearance.

Coventry

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

So the season starts in a month on 14:18 - Jul 4 with 1633 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 13:31 - Jul 4 by JimmyJazz

Coventry

They only have 22 according to their own website so where are you getting that from?

So the season starts in a month on 15:02 - Jul 4 with 1584 viewsJimmyJazz

So the season starts in a month on 14:18 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

They only have 22 according to their own website so where are you getting that from?

Wikipedia excluding players with no league appearances under their belt they have around 32 players

So the season starts in a month on 15:05 - Jul 4 with 1583 viewsActionMan

It's a shame the owner has not changed tact after seeing what's happened over the last few years in the Championship. There are holes in the squad, especially the backline and a lot up front is hinging on Norwood at the moment who himself is unproven at this level and to assume he's going to step up a division and bang them in overnight is similar to the mistakes made when we brought in Harrison and Jackson in last summer.
So the season starts in a month on 15:05 - Jul 4 with 1579 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 15:02 - Jul 4 by JimmyJazz

Wikipedia excluding players with no league appearances under their belt they have around 32 players

'As of 1 June 2019'.

Look at that list against the players they have released and then come back with a revised total. You'll see it's quite a bit lower!

So the season starts in a month on 15:14 - Jul 4 with 1568 viewsActionMan

So the season starts in a month on 09:45 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You do realise that what you have just described is pretty much every League One club at this stage right?

They have predominantly small squads, topped up with youth players. They give out 1 and 2 year contracts because they can't afford to carry anyone. Their best players are frequently linked with moves away, some of whom would have had their contracts expired and their recruitment plans may rest with working out who they can keep hold of and who might move on.

Just look at the squads of every other club at this level and there are probably about 20 teams in the division with less players than us, not to mention far less quality.

I'd say Sunderland, Pompey and Peterborough are probably the only teams who have anything near as settled a squad as we have in terms of those likely to be involved next season. Every other team is still trying to bring players in.

We are also in the position of being one of the top teams and trying to attract the sort of players who may also be waiting to see if lower end Championship teams come in.

and you wouldn't be unfair to say those 3 sides have a good shot of going up this season, especially Sunderland who now have their act together at the top again and Pompey who are in ascension, play good football and have a rounded side at this level anyway. While you are right that most League One clubs are in that state, the reality is if were serious about bouncing back up we wouldn't be doing what they do! We should have invested in players like Judge who are willing to come and play for us, even if that meant increased ages, bonuses ect. because the financial reward of promotion will negate that. It seems to achieve different results we're making the same decisions that cost us our Championship status and I think it could have serious consequences.

As we heard for years that "oh we don't want to spend because we'll end up like Portsmouth/Bolton/Luton" and so on, well 1 of those sides is in the league above us now, and Portsmouth have their act together and at least have as good a chance of going up as we do.

Bournemouth had less resources than us, broke the FFP boogeyman Evans created, and look at them now, and look at where we are. We were a bigger club than Bournemouth, they were hardly raking it in,if we had signed a promotion chasing side in the Championship and got the pricing right we'd have filled the ground and made progress. We didn't and we dropped, we do the same again and it still wont work because you cannot achieve different results by doing the exactly same thing, thats basic logic.
So the season starts in a month on 21:51 - Jul 4 with 1500 viewsJimmyJazz

So the season starts in a month on 15:05 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

'As of 1 June 2019'.

Look at that list against the players they have released and then come back with a revised total. You'll see it's quite a bit lower!

OK, had a chance to finally look for myself. I make Wikipedia more up to date than the Coventry website!! Forget that 'As of 1 June 2019' as that is the most inaccurate thing on there.

According to the Coventry website they signed Jamie Allen from Burton on June 28, he's in the Wikipedia squad but strangely not the Coventry website list of first team players. He's 24 with 200 league appearances.

On the website, manager Mark Robins admits their squad is too big. I still make their first team squad the largest in league one at this time. I do agree with your main argument on our squad, as i'd have us as having the second largest.

So the season starts in a month on 09:37 - Jul 6 with 1430 views3_5_2

nice and positive, that's the spirit

Bart is not injured and at the moment we have 2 decent gk, if he goes I am sure he will be replaced HIs wages staying are a factor in not getting more players in I suspect

Dancien is in my view, ok at RB LB cover is worrying

We have a large number of midfield players, who plays where is going to be interesting

We do need another striker in my view

Still 2/3 short but not the disaster you are claiming as still time to get some in

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

So the season starts in a month on 11:12 - Jul 6 with 1403 viewsROKERITE

So the season starts in a month on 09:37 - Jul 6 by 3_5_2

nice and positive, that's the spirit

Bart is not injured and at the moment we have 2 decent gk, if he goes I am sure he will be replaced HIs wages staying are a factor in not getting more players in I suspect

Dancien is in my view, ok at RB LB cover is worrying

We have a large number of midfield players, who plays where is going to be interesting

We do need another striker in my view

Still 2/3 short but not the disaster you are claiming as still time to get some in

It is equally pessimistic on our main message-board but looking from a couple of hundred miles away I see reason for optimism in Suffolk.
You ended last season with an impressive win, mind so did we in our final Championship match the previous season, but most of the squad who played against Leeds are still at Portman Road are they not?
You have released ten and sold Harrison. Your main keeper was going to Millwall but failed a medical. Who else have you lost from the squad that ended your season?
So the season starts in a month on 11:31 - Jul 6 with 1390 viewstractorboy1978

So the season starts in a month on 11:12 - Jul 6 by ROKERITE

It is equally pessimistic on our main message-board but looking from a couple of hundred miles away I see reason for optimism in Suffolk.
You ended last season with an impressive win, mind so did we in our final Championship match the previous season, but most of the squad who played against Leeds are still at Portman Road are they not?
You have released ten and sold Harrison. Your main keeper was going to Millwall but failed a medical. Who else have you lost from the squad that ended your season?

Quaner, Bree and Chalobah have returned to their parent clubs. Other than that we have lost no one of note other than Harrison (so far) and IMO he is no loss.

Much like Sunderland, we have a starting 11 that should be able to beat the majority of sides in this division. Our midfield is the best in the league - Judge, Bishop and Huws are very decent Championship players but the latter two have been unable to stay fit at all. Nolan was in L1 team of the year in 2017/18. Edwards was one of the best wingers in L1 when at Peterborough. We then have several young talents in Dozzell, Downes and Lankester.

My concern at the moment is at either end of the pitch, where we have a lack of depth. There is a lot of pressure on Norwood to deliver. And defensively we look a couple of injuries away from disaster.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 11:33]
So the season starts in a month on 11:46 - Jul 6 with 1369 viewsROKERITE

So the season starts in a month on 11:31 - Jul 6 by tractorboy1978

Quaner, Bree and Chalobah have returned to their parent clubs. Other than that we have lost no one of note other than Harrison (so far) and IMO he is no loss.

Much like Sunderland, we have a starting 11 that should be able to beat the majority of sides in this division. Our midfield is the best in the league - Judge, Bishop and Huws are very decent Championship players but the latter two have been unable to stay fit at all. Nolan was in L1 team of the year in 2017/18. Edwards was one of the best wingers in L1 when at Peterborough. We then have several young talents in Dozzell, Downes and Lankester.

My concern at the moment is at either end of the pitch, where we have a lack of depth. There is a lot of pressure on Norwood to deliver. And defensively we look a couple of injuries away from disaster.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 11:33]

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't aware that those three were loanees and no longer with you. So that's three of your starting eleven against Leeds.
I take your point about your defence particularly. Let's see what the next four weeks bring for you, Pompey, Posh and us. Though there's normally a dark horse in the promotion race. Coventry have made some good signings but surely playing home matches in Birmingham will prove a burden.
It's going to be interesting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024