Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? 16:42 - Jul 1 with 9800 viewsMaySixth

been noticing it a lot the last few years

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Because they are loosers. (n/t) on 19:03 - Jul 1 with 2036 viewsWeWereZombies

Because they are loosers. (n/t) on 16:48 - Jul 1 by Bloots

Good point, well made Blots

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:11 - Jul 1 with 2027 viewsGuthrum

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 18:00 - Jul 1 by Kropotkin123

The English language is an absolute basket case. People getting annoyed by the use of the language, rather than the language itself make me laugh.

- 5 vowels for about 20 vowels sounds. Stupid.
- Pointless letters like C, that just steal sounds off other letters. Confusing new learners. Stupid.
- No way of telling where the syllables land, unless taught. Stupid.
- Capital letters. Pointless. They don't exist in other languages, like Korean.
- Spelling the same sound multiple different ways and then acting surprised when people use them in the wrong place. E.g. they're, their, there. Stupid.
- Its or it's... it doesn't matter. It is the same sound. Context makes it abundantly clear which one is correct.

I can go on. The language needs a complete overhaul. Users really aren't to blame.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 18:01]

Look, we ditched genders, and most declension or conjugation. What more do you want?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:11 - Jul 1 with 2026 viewsNthQldITFC

The most worst spelling I of scene is on the walls of pubic lose.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:19 - Jul 1 with 2018 viewsmrshallisfit

Because they are dumbf#cks?
Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:19 - Jul 1 with 2020 viewsbluelagos

Because we are taught to spell phonetically. Look, loom, loot all use the same sound 'oo' sound.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:38 - Jul 1 with 1999 viewsnorth_stand77

Favorite instead of favourite and color instead of colour,
We don't need to speak 'American' do we? So wrong!
Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:46 - Jul 1 with 1990 viewsjaykay

what a load of squit

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:47 - Jul 1 with 1991 viewsfactual_blue

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:19 - Jul 1 by bluelagos

Because we are taught to spell phonetically. Look, loom, loot all use the same sound 'oo' sound.

No we weren't.

Many of us were taught to spell words correctly. We were also taught to use them properly, something people are uninterested in these days. Or, as they might put it, 'disinterested'.

And as for 'literally'.....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:50 - Jul 1 with 1985 viewsfooters

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:46 - Jul 1 by jaykay

what a load of squit

*lowd

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:52 - Jul 1 with 1978 viewsjaykay

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:50 - Jul 1 by footers

*lowd

*alde

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 20:25 - Jul 1 with 1962 viewsOldsmoker

Bad spelling is caused by not masturbating enough.
After you with the Kleenex.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 20:28 - Jul 1 with 1960 viewsbluelagos

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:47 - Jul 1 by factual_blue

No we weren't.

Many of us were taught to spell words correctly. We were also taught to use them properly, something people are uninterested in these days. Or, as they might put it, 'disinterested'.

And as for 'literally'.....

We? My generation absolutely was taught to spell phonetically and it was reintroduced (after a gap) a few years back to primary schools and is still in use today.

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:12 - Jul 1 with 1940 viewsFreddies_Ears

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 18:15 - Jul 1 by Kropotkin123

Seeing them all written out next to each other hurts my eyes

It is almost worth celebrating that English is a rare language, in that you can see a word written down and still have no idea how to pronounce it. For example, the (made-up) word 'stough'.

I'm sure other languages have similar challenges, but none that I have come across.

(anyone???).
Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:23 - Jul 1 with 1936 viewsCoastalblue

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 19:38 - Jul 1 by north_stand77

Favorite instead of favourite and color instead of colour,
We don't need to speak 'American' do we? So wrong!

Those things can get a bit engrained though if you do much coding, I did a lot of html for websites several years ago and must confess that even now I have to double check colour.

Mose and Moose is bad too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:29 - Jul 1 with 1935 viewsbluelagos

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:12 - Jul 1 by Freddies_Ears

It is almost worth celebrating that English is a rare language, in that you can see a word written down and still have no idea how to pronounce it. For example, the (made-up) word 'stough'.

I'm sure other languages have similar challenges, but none that I have come across.

(anyone???).

My favourite is the Norfolk villlage of Happisburgh. Not a cat in hells chance of a stranger getting that right first time.

Agree with celebrating the oddities.

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:35 - Jul 1 with 1932 viewsCoastalblue

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:29 - Jul 1 by bluelagos

My favourite is the Norfolk villlage of Happisburgh. Not a cat in hells chance of a stranger getting that right first time.

Towcester and Porthmadog are good too, not forgetting Cholmondeley and my favourite with the American tourists, Marylebone.

Oh and Magdelen College.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:38 - Jul 1 with 1931 viewsfooters

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:12 - Jul 1 by Freddies_Ears

(anyone???).

Agree 100%.

Every language has its own idiosyncrasies, that's the beauty of it. Without the homophonic examples, amongst many others, listed earlier as errors to be ironed out, we could never have had such a great cultural tradition of wordplay and comedy.

English can be noted as one of the greatest languages for creating ambiguity, having a real punchline at the *end* of a sentence. The fluidity and ambiguous nature of English is what makes it so great, and the current lingua franca.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:55 - Jul 1 with 1915 viewsBlueBadger

Likewise Bures. Five letters, doing the work of at least Seven.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 22:23 - Jul 1 with 1897 viewsnorth_stand77

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 21:23 - Jul 1 by Coastalblue

Those things can get a bit engrained though if you do much coding, I did a lot of html for websites several years ago and must confess that even now I have to double check colour.

Mose and Moose is bad too.

Shame on you!
Go and stand in the corner of the room and face the wall.
Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 22:31 - Jul 1 with 1895 viewsfactual_blue

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 20:28 - Jul 1 by bluelagos

We? My generation absolutely was taught to spell phonetically and it was reintroduced (after a gap) a few years back to primary schools and is still in use today.

By 'we' I meant the older, better-educated generation.

Because they are loosers. (n/t) on 22:54 - Jul 1 with 1884 viewsronnyd

Because they are loosers. (n/t) on 16:51 - Jul 1 by GeoffSentence

A plasterer has just driven past my house with that same missing apostrophe on his van

"not just a job, its art"

Also it,s too, not to.
Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 23:10 - Jul 1 with 1874 viewsSE1blue

I love this.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 23:23 - Jul 1 with 1859 viewsWeWereZombies

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 23:10 - Jul 1 by SE1blue

I love this.

See also Shamus / Seomas/ James

Tioraidh (pronounced choray as in cheerio)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 00:01 - Jul 2 with 1849 viewspatrickswell

A verbal change I've noticed in recent years is that people seem to be saying "arks" instead of "ask".
Why do so many people spell 'lose' as 'loose' ? on 00:19 - Jul 2 with 1848 viewsfactual_blue

Woolfardisworthy - a name shared by two villages in Devon, and each is pronounced differently.

This one is pronounced 'Woolsery'. That one is pronounced 'Woolfarsworthy'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024