Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? 08:34 - Mar 3 with 27178 viewschristiand

After reading the tragic story about the young Romford girl’s fatal stabbing followed by another teenager’s death in Manchester, just makes my blood boil. What are the feasible solutions? Something radical needs to be done in my opinion. What I don’t know?! It just appears you sadly read about this type of event most days now in this country. Just so little thought or value for someone else’s life.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2019 8:38]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:08 - Mar 3 with 5193 viewsm14_blue

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 14:02 - Mar 3 by Reuser_is_God

There is.

Death penalty.

Indeed.

No gang culture in America, no sirreee
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:15 - Mar 3 with 5172 viewsHerbivore

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:08 - Mar 3 by m14_blue

Indeed.

No gang culture in America, no sirreee

Really low murder rates too. Practically free of violent crime.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:17 - Mar 3 with 5177 viewstcblue

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 14:28 - Mar 3 by chicoazul

It's almost as if extremely relatively well off people funding an 11bn illegal drug industry is a bad thing.

Even if you tackle the illegal drugs trade, it doesn't solve the root of the problem.

If not drugs, whatever else is an illegal 'want' and therefore high profit, high risk. People trafficking, or who knows what. Kids slinging drugs aren't doing this because they love drugs, they're doing the only thing they feel they have to make money to escape the grim prospects they have.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:24 - Mar 3 with 5162 viewsfooters

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:17 - Mar 3 by tcblue

Even if you tackle the illegal drugs trade, it doesn't solve the root of the problem.

If not drugs, whatever else is an illegal 'want' and therefore high profit, high risk. People trafficking, or who knows what. Kids slinging drugs aren't doing this because they love drugs, they're doing the only thing they feel they have to make money to escape the grim prospects they have.

Absolutely. Many of those people I know have no skills or education and see selling scores of dope as a career prospect. It's just their way of making money. Very little money, I should imagine, given how much profit there is to be had on a twenty bag of weed.

But they've grown up with it- it's perfectly normal and usually a reliable source of income. Sad, but there it is. The cycle needs to be broken, from on high with the government and by parents and the wider community. Takes a village to raise a child, innit.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:43 - Mar 3 with 5140 viewsBloomBlue

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 10:49 - Mar 3 by Guthrum

But are unwilling to pay them the funds to do so.

for a parent to teach a child what is right versus what is wrong doesn't cost anything.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:48 - Mar 3 with 5135 viewsfooters

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:43 - Mar 3 by BloomBlue

for a parent to teach a child what is right versus what is wrong doesn't cost anything.

There was some sort of survey recently where it revealed around 20,000 people in the UK still watch television in black and white. Are you one of these people?

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 16:14 - Mar 3 with 5104 viewsRadlett_blue

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:48 - Mar 3 by footers

There was some sort of survey recently where it revealed around 20,000 people in the UK still watch television in black and white. Are you one of these people?

A black & white licence costs only £50.50 so you are saving £100 a year. The technology doesn't exist to check if you are cheating.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 16:31 - Mar 3 with 5091 viewsfooters

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 16:14 - Mar 3 by Radlett_blue

A black & white licence costs only £50.50 so you are saving £100 a year. The technology doesn't exist to check if you are cheating.

Blimey, that's my one thing I've learnt today! Thank you, mister.

Are these people just gaming the system because they're fecking tight or actually watch TV in black and white?!

Login to get fewer ads

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 17:28 - Mar 3 with 5058 viewsLord_Lucan

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 16:31 - Mar 3 by footers

Blimey, that's my one thing I've learnt today! Thank you, mister.

Are these people just gaming the system because they're fecking tight or actually watch TV in black and white?!

I had a black and white license for years, never had a black and white TV though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 17:38 - Mar 3 with 5039 viewsballycastle

Really strange that this statement should receive 2 down votes, why is that?

There is no argument that a lack of parental control and discipline are a large factor in the gang culture that pervades Britain.

Discipline at home is the key, the fear of embarrassing your parents and family used to be enough, with the significant lack of two parent families this has declined.

Liberalism has failed and is failing the country hard and fast at the moment, punishment has to be feared, the authorities need to retaliate and smash this scourge.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:03 - Mar 3 with 5017 viewsGriller

I have the immediate solutions which in my younger day were the norm. I fully appreciate that my views will not be acceptable by most but the question was asked. Discipline in relative terms does not exist. In the longer term the reintroduction of conscription would do much to alleviate the problem. In the short-term the reinstatement of the death penalty for premeditated murder would have an overnight effect. Well you did ask!
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:12 - Mar 3 with 4999 viewsPecker

There is no respect anymore. Parents largely to blame and lack of communities. We use to know all our neighbours when we were kids and my parents were soon told if I stepped out of line. We were scared of the local copper whereas these days the louts have very respect for their parents and police.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:12 - Mar 3 with 4998 viewsLord_Lucan

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:03 - Mar 3 by Griller

I have the immediate solutions which in my younger day were the norm. I fully appreciate that my views will not be acceptable by most but the question was asked. Discipline in relative terms does not exist. In the longer term the reintroduction of conscription would do much to alleviate the problem. In the short-term the reinstatement of the death penalty for premeditated murder would have an overnight effect. Well you did ask!

Typical scummer reply............................a complete load of rubbish.

Go and enjoy your success and leave us alone.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:12 - Mar 3 with 4999 viewsMullet

A quick google suggests National Service was ended in 1960 and the last conscripts finished in 1963.

The mods and rockers moral panic stemming from Margate was 1964 - but the Wild One was banned in 1953 to 1967. I'd say from an academic perspective the fears around gang culture and violence were not stemmed by conscription of any sort.

Certainly the Victorian era with its Scuttlers and the like, is a comparable situation to know. High population density, alcohol rather than other drugs a massive social problem, relative poverty and a lack of social reform or educational opportunities for the young.

I think working with a lot of those kids at risk, the ones that respond to military style discipline seek it out. I know loads of lads from Wythenshawe where essentially last night's stabbing incident started, some go straight into the forces at 16, some go straight into the CJS, some get out many don't, at least not fully.

Last night's victim was from Burnage an equally rough area. He went to Manchester Grammar school. It sounds like it's going to be a complex case when the truth outs. Either way it breaks my heart reading the stuff doing the rounds about it on social media.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/yousef-makk

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:26 - Mar 3 with 4967 viewsPecker

This. The down votes are crazy.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:36 - Mar 3 with 4949 viewstractorboy1978

A lot of these kids don't care if they die anyway - they'd rather that than back down to those they consider their enemies.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:40 - Mar 3 with 4945 viewstractorboy1978

That is idealistic.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:49 - Mar 3 with 4923 viewsPecker

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:40 - Mar 3 by tractorboy1978

That is idealistic.

No it isn't. We had it when we were kids and I never saw 1 kid with a knife and nobody in our community was ever stabbed. Respect costs nothing but gives so much.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:59 - Mar 3 with 4901 viewseireblue

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 17:38 - Mar 3 by ballycastle

Really strange that this statement should receive 2 down votes, why is that?

There is no argument that a lack of parental control and discipline are a large factor in the gang culture that pervades Britain.

Discipline at home is the key, the fear of embarrassing your parents and family used to be enough, with the significant lack of two parent families this has declined.

Liberalism has failed and is failing the country hard and fast at the moment, punishment has to be feared, the authorities need to retaliate and smash this scourge.

Fear of punishment is not a deterrent. The perception of the likelihood of getting caught is.

A solution needs to do two things, reduce the circumstances whereby a person thinks joining a gang and being a criminal is their best option.

Have more police that are more effective at preventing crime.

Simples.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 19:02 - Mar 3 with 4898 viewsfergalsharkey

Stab everyone caught carrying I knife.

It would solve it. Within weeks.

Poll: Cook out?

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 19:07 - Mar 3 with 4887 viewsPecker

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 19:02 - Mar 3 by fergalsharkey

Stab everyone caught carrying I knife.

It would solve it. Within weeks.

Is that what you have picked up on your travels? An eye for an eye isn't the best policy.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 19:14 - Mar 3 with 4878 viewsLord_Lucan

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 13:36 - Mar 3 by tcblue

It is 100% a socio-economic problem and solving it solely with blunt instruments like stop and search profiling is a proven way to make the problem worse.

Not my opinion, but fact from every single successful and unsuccessful crime reduction programme.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that solely using stop and search will stop it - but that also doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. Jails are crowded but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put people in jail either. The biggest problem with jails is that they are run by gangs so this is the first thing that needs addressing.

People arguing that the gang thing is happening because of lack of playing fields and youth clubs? Really? I don't believe this, maybe it plays a minimal part, if there were still loads of youth clubs these very same kids would probably be stabbing people inside them. Who would go to a youth club now, they are all too busy playing on their pooters. Anyway, when were these youth clubs supposed to have stopped? I'm 53 and I never went to one. I do vaguely remember one when I was about 7 but that was attended by squares while the rest of us played football. Lack of fields? There might be a lack of school fields but normal parks and fields there are loads, even in cities. That young girl yesterday was killed in one.

The glamorisation of gangs has a massive effect and we have a generation of kids being raised by families whose dad is either not there or was in a gang himself - or both. Also I can imagine a whole heap of grooming and peer pressure playing a part. Yes I know it's boring to blame lack of discipline at home and at school but you aren't telling me this isn't an issue? Add that to single mums who have to work while their kid can't be supervised properly, the whole family breakdown thing is key. To blame everything on poverty and a perceived lack of opportunity is insulting to the kids that don't go around stabbing people. You think there is more poverty now than in the 50's and 60's? Do you think it is harder for black kids now than it was in the 70's?

Drugs and quick money are key no 2, although I don't think legalising is definitely the answer. Gangs would probably still be in the market with better or cheaper supply, and if it wasn't drugs it would be something else.

There isn't quick answer but a lot of it boils down to education and upbringing**

**Not all of it as a friends son has been killed in a gang situation and the family were a decent unit, in fact I have been agonising whether to post this in case it comes across hypercritical. Some kids will get dragged in against their will, some want to get out but can't.

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 19:16 - Mar 3 with 4868 viewsGriller

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 18:36 - Mar 3 by tractorboy1978

A lot of these kids don't care if they die anyway - they'd rather that than back down to those they consider their enemies.

I'm not saying you are wrong but I would be appalled if you are right. What a sad indictment of the youth of today. Something certainly needs to happen.
What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 19:17 - Mar 3 with 4865 viewschicoazul

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 14:02 - Mar 3 by Reuser_is_God

There is.

Death penalty.

Well clearly in America which is admittedly a much bigger country than ours it doesnt seem to help much as they have huge problems like we do, thanks in part to the casual drug buyer like we do. But would you like to know an interesting fact about this subject? In the US there are 2800 people on death row. Would you like t know how many people were executed in the US last year? 25.
In other words the US currently executes fewer then 1% of the people on death row.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 19:20 - Mar 3 with 4858 viewschicoazul

What are the ‘genuine’ solutions to knife crime? on 15:17 - Mar 3 by tcblue

That may be true, although I do think arguments like this - "theyd just do something else anyway" - are a little bit racist and/or classist. I simply answered OPs question; I believe if people stopped buying illegal drugs there woudl be many fewer knife crimes.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024