Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bartosz... 08:40 - Sep 19 with 7494 viewsportmanking

I'm told the senior players had words with Hurst re. dropping Bialkowski and a difference of opinion has brought about the beginning of the end in terms of breakdown in communication between PH and the senior pros.

Bart cut an exceedingly forlorn figure at half time last night. Sat on the bench alone for much of the 15-minute interval, before signing a few autographs.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 8:44]
Bartosz... on 09:10 - Sep 19 with 1962 viewsbobbyramsey

Bartosz... on 08:59 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

If players are trying to dictate to the Manager whom he should pick for the team, there is a serious discipline issue. Can you imagine SBR having put up with something like that?

Would've got a smack in the gob....
Bartosz... on 09:13 - Sep 19 with 1953 viewsGarv

Bartosz... on 08:49 - Sep 19 by portmanking

I'm afraid I disagree entirely.

Bart had so many credits in the bank that the odd gaff at the start of this season should not have meant he was thrown out in the cold. Hurst could see how valuable he was to the club in terms of his performances last season and his new bumper contract, but he's almost pig-headedly tried to stamp his own mark on the training ground in completely the wrong way.

It's hardly out in the cold, is it? He's on the bench.

There's only one keeper position available on the pitch. The keeper who is in form has the spot right now.

He knew what he signed up for by being a keeper.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bartosz... on 09:13 - Sep 19 with 1953 viewsLimitlessBlue

If players are trying to dictate to the Manager whom he should pick for the team, there is a serious discipline issue. Can you imagine SBR having put up with something like that?

different Era, could you imagine SBR putting up with half a head of orange dreads, half a head of black dreads and orange boots?!

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

Bartosz... on 09:23 - Sep 19 with 1912 viewsGuthrum

Bartosz... on 09:10 - Sep 19 by JakeITFC

Interestingly, Mick Mills was on the radio last night after the game saying (with regards to us starting with a back three last night) that the senior players should have been telling him not to play that system.

He said that listening in those situations was one of Bobby's great qualities, that he wasn't so stubborn as to disagree with everyone if he'd made a mistake.

Re: Bart - I didn't like the decision to drop him, but it was it is now, and Gerken deserves his place. My worry is that eventually Gerken makes an error and we have two goalkeepers with no confidence.

That's rather different to questioning the Manager dropping a player who is struggling with form (maybe also wrestling with disappointment at not having made it onto the pitch in Russia and/or being on the back foot having missed a chunk of preseason). It's not like picking Gerken has been the wrong choice.

Putting mistakes behind them and carrying on with confidence is part of the skillset of a goalkeeper (indeed of any top sports player, gymnast or athlete).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bartosz... on 09:23 - Sep 19 with 1911 viewsWickets

I would not be surprised if Hurst did have hard words with both our World cup stars as neither of them where performing to the best of their abilities at the start of the season. Jonas seems to have picked his game up. As for Bart we will see what happens when he gets back in the team, for me if a player is under performing then its the managers job to tell him so and if their is no improvement what can a manager do but leave him on the bench. Hopefully our best goalkeeper will work on his concentration and come back stronger.
Bartosz... on 09:29 - Sep 19 with 1888 viewsGuthrum

Bartosz... on 09:13 - Sep 19 by LimitlessBlue

different Era, could you imagine SBR putting up with half a head of orange dreads, half a head of black dreads and orange boots?!

He put up with the then fashionable hairiness of the 1970s.

Bartosz... on 09:29 - Sep 19 with 1885 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If true then the senior players should have a word with..............themselves!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Bartosz... on 09:34 - Sep 19 with 1881 viewsSamWhiteUK

Did Mick Mills play under Robson? Frogive me, I'm far too young. Mills said after the game that the players in his day and age, their opinions WERE heard wrt team selection
Login to get fewer ads

Bartosz... on 09:38 - Sep 19 with 1865 viewsJakeITFC

Bartosz... on 09:23 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

That's rather different to questioning the Manager dropping a player who is struggling with form (maybe also wrestling with disappointment at not having made it onto the pitch in Russia and/or being on the back foot having missed a chunk of preseason). It's not like picking Gerken has been the wrong choice.

Putting mistakes behind them and carrying on with confidence is part of the skillset of a goalkeeper (indeed of any top sports player, gymnast or athlete).

Is it?

The senior players know Bart better than Hurst after all.
Bartosz... on 10:05 - Sep 19 with 1811 viewsGuthrum

Bartosz... on 09:38 - Sep 19 by JakeITFC

Is it?

The senior players know Bart better than Hurst after all.

Did Gerken do a bad job last night? Has it been his mistakes which cost us since Bialkowski was dropped? Was the latter suffering from a drop in form the first few games?

It's not like Dean is some new erk, he's been here longer than Bart.

Bartosz... on 10:11 - Sep 19 with 1794 viewsJ2BLUE

This doesn't add up. Seems you've taken a load of rumours and made a story out of it.

Are we to believe that they have so little respect for Gerken that they'd stage a full scale revolt over this? Senior players being Chambers, who wildly celebrated the equaliser, Knudsen, who wants a new deal and Skuse, who Hurst seems to really like?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bartosz... on 10:13 - Sep 19 with 1791 viewsJakeITFC

Bartosz... on 10:05 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

Did Gerken do a bad job last night? Has it been his mistakes which cost us since Bialkowski was dropped? Was the latter suffering from a drop in form the first few games?

It's not like Dean is some new erk, he's been here longer than Bart.

No, Gerken was one of our best performers last night (and made some good saves on Saturday by the looks of the highlights).

But that’s not really my point; Hurst’s (supposed) me against them strategy isn’t exactly wonders and I don’t think it would have been a sign of weakness on his part to listen to the senior players on this issue (should this discussion have taken place).

In isolation, dropping a big name is a brave and bold call - given the rest of the scattergun selection policy though, it just seems like another gamble of a desperate man.
Bartosz... on 10:23 - Sep 19 with 1758 viewsLanky

I don't quite fully understand the logic that dropping Bart would/would have caused disharmony amongst the senior players because Gerken, his replacement, must be what - second longest serving player? He is one of the senior players in that regard, and in all likelihood is just as close to Skuse, Chambers etc. on a personal level. It's not like he has been dropped for a new signing or youth player.
Bartosz... on 10:48 - Sep 19 with 1712 viewsReuser_is_God

Bartosz... on 10:13 - Sep 19 by JakeITFC

No, Gerken was one of our best performers last night (and made some good saves on Saturday by the looks of the highlights).

But that’s not really my point; Hurst’s (supposed) me against them strategy isn’t exactly wonders and I don’t think it would have been a sign of weakness on his part to listen to the senior players on this issue (should this discussion have taken place).

In isolation, dropping a big name is a brave and bold call - given the rest of the scattergun selection policy though, it just seems like another gamble of a desperate man.

It’s one of the mad decisions he’s actually got right IMO, although that is due to Gerken performances but it’s been justified.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Bartosz... on 10:48 - Sep 19 with 1710 viewsRyorry

Bartosz... on 09:13 - Sep 19 by LimitlessBlue

"Hey, can't remember your name but you with the orange boots ... oh ... "

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bartosz... on 10:53 - Sep 19 with 1697 viewsGuthrum

Bartosz... on 10:13 - Sep 19 by JakeITFC

The claimed cause for disagreement in the OP was about Bialkowski being dropped. Which is an issue of a player not in top form being left out for another senior member of the squad who is. Nothing to do with the outfield selection over the last three games.

Bartosz... on 10:56 - Sep 19 with 1692 viewsGarv

Bartosz... on 10:23 - Sep 19 by Lanky

I don't quite fully understand the logic that dropping Bart would/would have caused disharmony amongst the senior players because Gerken, his replacement, must be what - second longest serving player? He is one of the senior players in that regard, and in all likelihood is just as close to Skuse, Chambers etc. on a personal level. It's not like he has been dropped for a new signing or youth player.

Good point. As a goalkeeper Gerken probably gets overlooked as a senior player. Also whenever I watch him he seems to have a big old mouth on him, which I really like.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bartosz... on 10:57 - Sep 19 with 1686 viewslazyblue

That’s absolutely rubbish! No more needs to be said.
Bartosz... on 10:57 - Sep 19 with 1686 viewsagentp

Bartosz... on 09:34 - Sep 19 by SamWhiteUK

Did Mick Mills play under Robson? Frogive me, I'm far too young. Mills said after the game that the players in his day and age, their opinions WERE heard wrt team selection

For about 15 years.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Bartosz... on 11:00 - Sep 19 with 1676 viewsJakeITFC

Bartosz... on 10:53 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

The claimed cause for disagreement in the OP was about Bialkowski being dropped. Which is an issue of a player not in top form being left out for another senior member of the squad who is. Nothing to do with the outfield selection over the last three games.

The two are linked.
Bartosz... on 11:14 - Sep 19 with 1638 viewsGuthrum

Bartosz... on 11:00 - Sep 19 by JakeITFC

The two are linked.

Then why is that not what the senior players are said to be rebelling about?

Bartosz... on 11:19 - Sep 19 with 1630 viewsportmanking

Bartosz... on 11:14 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

Then why is that not what the senior players are said to be rebelling about?

The Bart issue was apparently a bridge too far for some.
Bartosz... on 11:36 - Sep 19 with 1593 viewsuefacup81

Bartosz... on 10:48 - Sep 19 by Ryorry

"Hey, can't remember your name but you with the orange boots ... oh ... "

What? Carl Cort?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Bartosz... on 11:39 - Sep 19 with 1587 viewsuefacup81

Bartosz... on 11:19 - Sep 19 by portmanking

The Bart issue was apparently a bridge too far for some.

So Hurst apparently makes some controversial decisions, then the perfectly-justifiable decision of dropping a player who has lost form and may, given the circumstances, have become complacent having been given a new lucrative contract is the straw that broke the camel's back?

Nah. Not buying it.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Bartosz... on 11:44 - Sep 19 with 1573 viewsportmanking

Bartosz... on 11:39 - Sep 19 by uefacup81

So Hurst apparently makes some controversial decisions, then the perfectly-justifiable decision of dropping a player who has lost form and may, given the circumstances, have become complacent having been given a new lucrative contract is the straw that broke the camel's back?

Nah. Not buying it.

That's fine, I'm not asking you to buy it. But the individual I spoke with last night would have no reason to make things up.

I do find it strange that people can't grasp why senior pros that appreciate the sterling work Bart has done in the last three seasons - getting us out of a hole on many occasions - would be irked by his treatment thus far. I was also led to believe that ME is equally unimpressed with Bart being sidelined given that he's now a top earner.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024