Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The marmite that is Stewart Lee 17:12 - Mar 26 with 6079 viewsFinidiCentenary

Often seen threads on here by many that consider him to be the funniest man alive. It's a bit odd there were so many empty seats at his recent show then.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/stewart-lee-review-the-regent-ipswich-1-545026

Not for me. Seems to explain not being that funny by suggesting that only the cleverest 10% get his jokes and that anyone who doesn't just can't function on the same level as him.

And the people who claim he is funny always seem to be the same sort of people who would need to convince people they are in that 10% because it is important to them that others think they are clever.

I wonder if most of the people who claim to find him funny actually don't.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2018 17:13]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:15 - Mar 26 with 4297 viewstcblue

Could be.

Or maybe humour is subjective and his character construct is designed exactly to prompt this sort of response.

Probably just everyone but you being thick though.
The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:17 - Mar 26 with 4287 viewsSpruceMoose

I'm glad to be in the 10%. It's a really good feeling.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:17 - Mar 26 with 4286 viewsunbelievablue

I find him hilarious, and only occasionally sanctimonious or self-aggrandizing. I don't consider myself particularly clever nor do I care if you think I am or not.

"Seems to explain not being that funny by suggesting that only the cleverest 10% get his jokes and that anyone who doesn't just can't function on the same level as him."

The above is demonstrably part of the act.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:21 - Mar 26 with 4269 viewsSuperfrans

You really are a strange one.

You don't find Stewart Lee funny. Other people do.
Why should there be anything more to it than that?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:22 - Mar 26 with 4257 viewsSpruceMoose

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:21 - Mar 26 by Superfrans

I suspect that he has hurt feelings as he has realised he's not in the 10%.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:27 - Mar 26 with 4244 viewsFinidiCentenary

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:21 - Mar 26 by Superfrans

I think because there's something quite incredible about a comedian almost, through self awareness, being deliberately not funny, so that people find him funny and then claim that him not being funny is part of the act.

He's either rubbish or an absolute genius functioning on levels above most human brains that he has, through design, created a never ending paradox, where he's become funny by not being funny.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:30 - Mar 26 with 4230 viewsSpruceMoose

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:27 - Mar 26 by FinidiCentenary

I think because there's something quite incredible about a comedian almost, through self awareness, being deliberately not funny, so that people find him funny and then claim that him not being funny is part of the act.

He's either rubbish or an absolute genius functioning on levels above most human brains that he has, through design, created a never ending paradox, where he's become funny by not being funny.

When you set out to create this thread, were you aiming to demonstrate the whole point and effectiveness of SL's act?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:31 - Mar 26 with 4229 viewscatch74

Just to work out where you’re pitching from, who do you find funny?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Login to get fewer ads

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:33 - Mar 26 with 4227 viewsSpruceMoose

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:31 - Mar 26 by catch74

Just to work out where you’re pitching from, who do you find funny?

May he's a Jim Davidson man? Maybe a Michael McIntyre? Maybe a Bobby Davro?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:38 - Mar 26 with 4207 viewsunbelievablue

His act/persona isn't about 'being deliberately not funny so that people find him funny and then claim that him not being funny is part of the act'. He alludes to that concept and riffs on it once in a blue moon.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:57 - Mar 26 with 4148 viewsfooters

I'm not a massive fanboy of his, but one of his best traits is that he's a real student of comedy. In some of his articles and interviews you can see just how much he knows about his art/profession and how much time he dedicates to it. That has to be respected about anyone in any walk of life.

Much better than most of these unoriginal observational no-marks.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:12 - Mar 26 with 4115 viewslowhouseblue

you should send him that - i reckon he could work it up into a good routine.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:12 - Mar 26 with 4121 viewsBackToRussia

It depends what you want from standup. If you just want an hour of jokes, with no actual link (other than the nonsensical ones comedians are obliged to add as bridges from one joke to the next) or theme, then you will most likely not like Stewart Lee. If you want something that was devised, has structure and themes and "bits" within the show then you will probably like Lee.

The average person just wants jokes of course.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:15 - Mar 26 with 4098 viewsJakeITFC

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:12 - Mar 26 by BackToRussia

It depends what you want from standup. If you just want an hour of jokes, with no actual link (other than the nonsensical ones comedians are obliged to add as bridges from one joke to the next) or theme, then you will most likely not like Stewart Lee. If you want something that was devised, has structure and themes and "bits" within the show then you will probably like Lee.

You’re exactly right, but it’s hard to say that without sounding like a dickhead.
The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:17 - Mar 26 with 4088 viewsfactual_blue

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:17 - Mar 26 by SpruceMoose

I'm glad to be in the 10%. It's a really good feeling.

Being in the one per cent who know they don't need to self-validate by being Stewart Lee aficionados is an even better feeling.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2018 18:18]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:17 - Mar 26 with 4086 viewsfooters

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:15 - Mar 26 by JakeITFC

You’re exactly right, but it’s hard to say that without sounding like a dickhead.

Yep, but BTR nailed it!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:18 - Mar 26 with 4083 viewsSwansea_Blue

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:12 - Mar 26 by BackToRussia

Yeah these dullards wanting jokes in their comedy

I haven't seen that much of him, but I did enjoy his Paul Nuttals put-down.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:24 - Mar 26 with 4070 viewsBackToRussia

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:15 - Mar 26 by JakeITFC

lol. Well my favourite comedians are "jokey" ones, really. That covers most comedians really. I don't think you can really top Billy Connolly for instance. Tho he does a lot of extended story telling too.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:27 - Mar 26 with 4062 viewsJakeITFC

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:24 - Mar 26 by BackToRussia

lol. Well my favourite comedians are "jokey" ones, really. That covers most comedians really. I don't think you can really top Billy Connolly for instance. Tho he does a lot of extended story telling too.

My two favourites are Stewart Lee and Tim Vine, cos my taste in everything makes no sense.
The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:28 - Mar 26 with 4062 viewsSpruceMoose

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:17 - Mar 26 by factual_blue

Being in the one per cent who know they don't need to self-validate by being Stewart Lee aficionados is an even better feeling.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2018 18:18]

Pipe down, comedy has changed since you were first seeing the works of Aristophanes being debuted.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:30 - Mar 26 with 4054 viewsfactual_blue

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:28 - Mar 26 by SpruceMoose

Pipe down, comedy has changed since you were first seeing the works of Aristophanes being debuted.

Buzz off, and stop being waspish.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:31 - Mar 26 with 4050 viewsSwansea_Blue

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:28 - Mar 26 by SpruceMoose

I've worked out who you are! The false antlers moose act fools nobody Marcus. Your ageism is a dead giveaway.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:33 - Mar 26 with 4040 viewsSpruceMoose

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:31 - Mar 26 by Swansea_Blue

I've worked out who you are! The false antlers moose act fools nobody Marcus. Your ageism is a dead giveaway.

Right that's it. I'm implementing a 50% season ticket price increase. Well done Swansea_Blue.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:34 - Mar 26 with 4036 viewsfactual_blue

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:33 - Mar 26 by SpruceMoose

Right that's it. I'm implementing a 50% season ticket price increase. Well done Swansea_Blue.

Do you have any World Cup tickets?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:35 - Mar 26 with 4035 viewsSpruceMoose

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:30 - Mar 26 by factual_blue

Buzz off, and stop being waspish.

I'm more used to being called a Gadfly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024