Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The marmite that is Stewart Lee 17:12 - Mar 26 with 6098 viewsFinidiCentenary

Often seen threads on here by many that consider him to be the funniest man alive. It's a bit odd there were so many empty seats at his recent show then.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/stewart-lee-review-the-regent-ipswich-1-545026

Not for me. Seems to explain not being that funny by suggesting that only the cleverest 10% get his jokes and that anyone who doesn't just can't function on the same level as him.

And the people who claim he is funny always seem to be the same sort of people who would need to convince people they are in that 10% because it is important to them that others think they are clever.

I wonder if most of the people who claim to find him funny actually don't.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2018 17:13]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:36 - Mar 26 with 1751 viewsSpruceMoose

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:34 - Mar 26 by factual_blue

Do you have any World Cup tickets?

In Russia, World Cup tickets have you.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:44 - Mar 26 with 1737 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's all subjective of course. I may have mentioned it before, but I prefer Izzard over Lee. Largely because I (think) I know more about him as a person after seeing his excellent coverage of his South African running exploits.

And this makes me chuckle

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:49 - Mar 26 with 1733 viewsBackToRussia

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:44 - Mar 26 by Swansea_Blue

It's all subjective of course. I may have mentioned it before, but I prefer Izzard over Lee. Largely because I (think) I know more about him as a person after seeing his excellent coverage of his South African running exploits.

And this makes me chuckle

Brody. Eddie Izzard hasn't been funny for 18 years. Trust me.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:52 - Mar 26 with 1727 viewsSwansea_Blue

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:49 - Mar 26 by BackToRussia

Brody. Eddie Izzard hasn't been funny for 18 years. Trust me.

Bro who?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:54 - Mar 26 with 1723 viewsBackToRussia

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:52 - Mar 26 by Swansea_Blue

Bro who?

dy

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 18:57 - Mar 26 with 1709 viewsFinidiCentenary

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 17:31 - Mar 26 by catch74

Just to work out where you’re pitching from, who do you find funny?

Depends what mood I’m in.

I can enjoy puns like Tim Vine, slapstick like Lee Evans, smut from Mike Reid, middle of the road stuff from Lee Mack or Sean Lock, silliness of Micky Flanagan. My favourite is probably Bill Bailey.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:12 - Mar 26 with 1683 viewsBrixtonBlue

You don't have to be massively intelligent to like Stewart Lee but you do need to pay attention. He'll say something and do a call back to it an hour later. He requires more 'intellectual dexterity' than say Michael McInytre's work. It's like the difference between watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians and Inception.

He manhandles the audience, metaphorically, but it's all part of the act.

BTW it's not important to me if you think I'm clever or not and I do find him very funny. If Stewart Lee was on one TV channel and Live At The Apollo was on the other, I'd definitely get more enjoyment out of Stew. I'm not trying to enjoy it I just do.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:15 - Mar 26 with 1673 viewsJakeITFC

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:12 - Mar 26 by BrixtonBlue

You don't have to be massively intelligent to like Stewart Lee but you do need to pay attention. He'll say something and do a call back to it an hour later. He requires more 'intellectual dexterity' than say Michael McInytre's work. It's like the difference between watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians and Inception.

He manhandles the audience, metaphorically, but it's all part of the act.

BTW it's not important to me if you think I'm clever or not and I do find him very funny. If Stewart Lee was on one TV channel and Live At The Apollo was on the other, I'd definitely get more enjoyment out of Stew. I'm not trying to enjoy it I just do.

@BackToRussia - see?
Login to get fewer ads

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:17 - Mar 26 with 1669 viewseireblue

I did read/hear once that Victor Lewis Smith used to do unfunny things, to test the audience, not that he is a standup.

Of course he could have been joking,...

Not sure a comedian would have any form of career if they genuinely were un-funny to all people.

How would you start a career, "any pseudo intellectuals in the room,.....wow I have hit the jackpot tonight...
.....and remember to tell all your other pseudo intellectual friends I am here all week"
The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:19 - Mar 26 with 1660 viewsBackToRussia

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:15 - Mar 26 by JakeITFC

@BackToRussia - see?

Gimme a break I'm not at Dolly levels surely.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:20 - Mar 26 with 1658 viewsJakeITFC

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:19 - Mar 26 by BackToRussia

Gimme a break I'm not at Dolly levels surely.

Haha no, yours was good.
The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:38 - Mar 26 with 1630 viewssparks

The marmite that is Stewart Lee on 19:20 - Mar 26 by JakeITFC

Haha no, yours was good.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024