Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know this probably isn't a surprise 13:55 - Feb 19 with 25170 viewsclive_baker

and I'm not one for 'def info', but I was having a beer over the weekend with someone who's very much in the know when it comes to ITFC, at a senior level.

He told me that MM is 100% leaving in the summer. Said there's no appetite from ME and co to extend his stay here and even if Mick was open to it. Search is already underway for his successor and the club is hoping to announce something before the end of the season.

Interestingly also mentioned the disconnect between MM and Town fans is a big concern to ME, and this was 24 hours prior to him telling us to fk off.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 08:25 - Mar 19 with 4129 viewsevansblue

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 08:15 - Mar 19 by Radlett_blue

Appointing anyone with close to zero coaching experience is a huge gamble & hopefully one Evans won't take. As far as Campbell is concerned, it seems he is incredibly arrogant so if he did get the job, at the first sing of trouble he would probably be on his way. That's one of the problems with former top PL players - most of them are so wealthy that I'm not sure they would be really committed.
I'd far rather we appointed a promising manger who had some success in League 1 or 2.

Agree 100% - if Sol was desperate for a Managerial job then there are plenty of semi pro clubs he could join to learn the ropes. Would far prefer someone like Pail Hurst at Shrewsbury.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 08:30 - Mar 19 with 4110 viewstractorboy1978

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 06:00 - Mar 19 by ColchesterBlue1985

I wouldn’t be totally dissapointed with lampard either, his links with Chelsea could get us one or two exciting youngsters on loan for starters. Also let’s face it we’re not going to appoint anybody that we are all 100% agreeable on so someone with a completely unblotched copybook could be the sort of appointment to bring the supporters together. We would all like to think he would want to play exciting football but we don’t really have anything to go on in that regards yet.

Whoever is appointed one thing is for certain the fans need to all behind him and his players (as was the case with McCarthy for much of his tenure)

A manager with no experience of the day to day running of a football club would struggle with the current set up - would require the whole structure to change and an experienced middle man to be appointed. I also don't like the idea of being "Frank Lampard's Ipswich" in the same way as Roy Keane or the thought of being Chelsea's reserve side at the expense of our own youngsters.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 08:39 - Mar 19 with 4086 viewshype313

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 06:00 - Mar 19 by ColchesterBlue1985

I wouldn’t be totally dissapointed with lampard either, his links with Chelsea could get us one or two exciting youngsters on loan for starters. Also let’s face it we’re not going to appoint anybody that we are all 100% agreeable on so someone with a completely unblotched copybook could be the sort of appointment to bring the supporters together. We would all like to think he would want to play exciting football but we don’t really have anything to go on in that regards yet.

Whoever is appointed one thing is for certain the fans need to all behind him and his players (as was the case with McCarthy for much of his tenure)

I wouldn't be disappointed with Lamps, he commands respect within the game, seems very knowledgeable and it would be nice to not have the usual suspects lined up, trouble is, it would be a huge gamble for Evans, and I'm not sure he would want to take the risk.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 08:48 - Mar 19 with 4055 viewsitfcjoe

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 07:42 - Mar 19 by evansblue

About 6 weeks ago someone told me we were interested In Sol Campbell. I looked him up to see what he was up to these days and he had just been turned down for the Oxford job so gave it no more thought. If you google him there are lots of interviews from him stating his desire to get in to Mgmt and bemoaning his lack of opportunities. Who knows but it links to your story and why not give him a chance.

Sol Campbell would be a disaster. For someone with so much top level experience he seems so clueless.

Has he even done coaching badges, he certainly hasn't done any coaching. He was trying to be a Tory london mayor recently, and is just so aloof.

I don't know if anyone watches the debate on Sky Sports, but he comes across so badly on that.

Out of the ex players trying to get into a managerial ole, Craig Bellamy seems to be the most clued up - but don't think he'd work here!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:00 - Mar 19 with 4017 viewssoupytwist

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 08:48 - Mar 19 by itfcjoe

Sol Campbell would be a disaster. For someone with so much top level experience he seems so clueless.

Has he even done coaching badges, he certainly hasn't done any coaching. He was trying to be a Tory london mayor recently, and is just so aloof.

I don't know if anyone watches the debate on Sky Sports, but he comes across so badly on that.

Out of the ex players trying to get into a managerial ole, Craig Bellamy seems to be the most clued up - but don't think he'd work here!

Interesting article on this subject here, which includes both Campbell and Bellamy content -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/26/sol-campbell-oxford-united-crai

If we decide to go for a slightly bonkers recently retired player with little managerial experience I wouldn't be adverse to Bellamy funnily enough.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:01 - Mar 19 with 4007 viewssoupytwist

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 22:11 - Mar 18 by clive_baker

So...

- Mick definitely off. Contract won’t be extended.
- ME very conscious of impact on attendances and relationship with fans.
- ME hasn’t had the conversation with Mick formally yet, wanted to wait as long as possible before doing so as not to rock the Apple cart this season.
- The ‘chat’ is imminent though, a date is in the diary.
- Suggested that Mick might not have stayed even if Evans wanted him to.
- Highly likely that MM will see out the season though, new appointment would be in the summer.
- Mowbray has been spoken to about the job but doesn’t want any distraction from Blackburn at the moment. Still a possibility though.
- Others have also been spoken to including an ‘big name’ in the game, from his playing days. I’ve been scratching my head on the train and wondering if it’s Lampard? Not sure if he would want to get into management?
- No suggestion that ME is looking to sell.

Was there anything to make you think that Steijn might be on the list of possibles?
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:02 - Mar 19 with 4004 viewshype313

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:00 - Mar 19 by soupytwist

Interesting article on this subject here, which includes both Campbell and Bellamy content -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/26/sol-campbell-oxford-united-crai

If we decide to go for a slightly bonkers recently retired player with little managerial experience I wouldn't be adverse to Bellamy funnily enough.

I wouldn't be too bothered about Bellamey given his past, I just think he could have the potential to be a Keane 2.0.

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:03 - Mar 19 with 3999 viewsRadlett_blue

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:02 - Mar 19 by hype313

I wouldn't be too bothered about Bellamey given his past, I just think he could have the potential to be a Keane 2.0.

Quite possible. Lots of people think that feisty, passionate ex-players make good managers, but it often isn't the case.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:05 - Mar 19 with 3992 viewssoupytwist

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:02 - Mar 19 by hype313

It could go spectacularly wrong in all sorts of ways, but it wouldn't be boring. Unfortunately at the first sign of trouble his Norwich past would mean he'd be cut no slack at all.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:09 - Mar 19 with 3983 viewsclive_baker

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:01 - Mar 19 by soupytwist

Was there anything to make you think that Steijn might be on the list of possibles?

He didn’t say it was someone with no managerial experience to be fair. He just said it was a household name from their playing career. I guess Roy Keane would’ve fitted that description, and he had some managerial experience and a promotion under his belt. Shearer came to mind, but I’m guessing completely.

No mention of Steijn. He’s cagey though, I don’t really know him, he’s a friend of a friend and clearly knows he shouldn’t say too much. Similarly I felt uncomfortable pressing, I’m not a journo at the end of the day so I had to make it all feel relaxed and conversational. We spent more time talking about holidays.

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:13 - Mar 19 with 3952 viewssoupytwist

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:09 - Mar 19 by clive_baker

He didn’t say it was someone with no managerial experience to be fair. He just said it was a household name from their playing career. I guess Roy Keane would’ve fitted that description, and he had some managerial experience and a promotion under his belt. Shearer came to mind, but I’m guessing completely.

No mention of Steijn. He’s cagey though, I don’t really know him, he’s a friend of a friend and clearly knows he shouldn’t say too much. Similarly I felt uncomfortable pressing, I’m not a journo at the end of the day so I had to make it all feel relaxed and conversational. We spent more time talking about holidays.

OK, thanks. What's the def info on holiday destinations then?
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:17 - Mar 19 with 3935 viewsJ4ck22

Could be Steven Gerrard, who's currently managing Liverpool's U18s?

Although I'm really not sure I fancy a gamble on a big name player with little or no management experience...
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:21 - Mar 19 with 3926 viewsclive_baker

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:13 - Mar 19 by soupytwist

OK, thanks. What's the def info on holiday destinations then?

He’s off to the French Riveira in the summer so we were chatting about that, although I suspect his budget might be a little larger than mine when I went 10 years ago as a student.

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:40 - Mar 19 with 3857 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

If we were to go down the route of former 'big name' players then the best choice currently would be someone like Mikel Arteta who is being tipped to be one of the best managers in the game in years to come. He's currently assistant to Pep and been offered some decent roles already.

In terms of real pie in the sky stuff then Thierry Henry is interested in getting into management alongside his coaching role with Belgium.

Both of which are never going to happen but would be names that would show at least something of a thought process to bring in a potentially upwardly mobile head coach/manager
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:41 - Mar 19 with 3847 viewshype313

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:40 - Mar 19 by King_of_Portman_Rd

If we were to go down the route of former 'big name' players then the best choice currently would be someone like Mikel Arteta who is being tipped to be one of the best managers in the game in years to come. He's currently assistant to Pep and been offered some decent roles already.

In terms of real pie in the sky stuff then Thierry Henry is interested in getting into management alongside his coaching role with Belgium.

Both of which are never going to happen but would be names that would show at least something of a thought process to bring in a potentially upwardly mobile head coach/manager

Think Arsenal are looking at Arteta as Wenger's replacement.

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:43 - Mar 19 with 3837 viewsCraig94

Definitely not Craig Bellamy - Ex scummer.

Agree with Sol Campbell - definitely wouldn't work well with the ethos of the club. Little bit of stick from the fans and he'd run a mile.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:46 - Mar 19 with 3824 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:41 - Mar 19 by hype313

Think Arsenal are looking at Arteta as Wenger's replacement.

I would expect that a club like Arsenal may want to bring someone in who has cut their teeth a little bit more than sitting alongside Pep for a couple of years..
They may see him as an ideal candidate once he has got some experience of management under his belt therefore he could be looking a little lower (perhaps not as low as us) down the football pyramid.

btw - fairly sure he loves Arsenal & would jump at the chance, just not sure he, or they are ready to rush into something just yet.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:46 - Mar 19 with 3819 viewsHerbivore

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:40 - Mar 19 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Let's be honest, it's more likely to be Paul Ince.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:50 - Mar 19 with 3796 viewsNorthern_Blue81

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:46 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

Let's be honest, it's more likely to be Paul Ince.

That would be the worse one, ever.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:04 - Mar 19 with 3751 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:50 - Mar 19 by Northern_Blue81

That would be the worse one, ever.

Tony Adams?
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:05 - Mar 19 with 3742 viewsSuperfrans

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:09 - Mar 19 by clive_baker

Given Evans' track record, a manager with no experience would be a huge surprise.

Individuals who were household names as footballers before becoming managers might include Paul Ince, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Gus Poyet, Glenn Hoddle, Bryan Robson... All of whom have promotions to their name.

#shudders

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:05 - Mar 19 with 3738 viewschicoazul

Sol Campbell's social media is an absolute work of art.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:06 - Mar 19 with 3734 viewsBurwell_Blue

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:04 - Mar 19 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Tony Adams?

My ex girlfriends mum used to shag TA when they met in rehab, he used to take us out for Sunday lunch every now and again.

Don’t know why I shared that.
I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:14 - Mar 19 with 3698 viewsclive_baker

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 09:46 - Mar 19 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I would expect that a club like Arsenal may want to bring someone in who has cut their teeth a little bit more than sitting alongside Pep for a couple of years..
They may see him as an ideal candidate once he has got some experience of management under his belt therefore he could be looking a little lower (perhaps not as low as us) down the football pyramid.

btw - fairly sure he loves Arsenal & would jump at the chance, just not sure he, or they are ready to rush into something just yet.

Arsenal need to get over themselves and appoint Sean Dyche. His Burnley side represents everything Arsenal lack.

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:22 - Mar 19 with 3664 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I know this probably isn't a surprise on 10:14 - Mar 19 by clive_baker

Arsenal need to get over themselves and appoint Sean Dyche. His Burnley side represents everything Arsenal lack.

Would be the best thing to happen to the English game for a while.

Future England manager in the making and a fair crack at a top 6 side is the least he deserves and could well be the making of him (and the remaking of Arsenal)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024