Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is Brexit still happening? 11:08 - Jul 13 with 83308 viewstcblue

Almost everyone involved has said it will be a catastrophe, and the only person still thinking it's a good idea is failed politician radio host Nigel Farage. Even Boris and POB got the jobs they were perhaps angling for out of it so won't be pro anymore.

I just don't get it. Yes, there was an election with a result - but was that really done properly with an informed electorate?

I don't really give a toss if this is dismissed as snowflaking. It is obvious that Brexit will make this country significantly worse off, and for some reason we still have our foot on the gas despite being ten feet away from the cliff edge.

If there were true principles and strong leaders in our politics (whichever colour) nowadays, we would be having conversations about not respecting the will of the 52% right now.

Everyone in politics wants to pull the parachute. I'm sure of it.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:10 - Jun 23 with 5576 viewsBenters2

Why is Brexit still happening? on 11:52 - Jun 23 by Seablu

Looking forward to your enlightened & forward thinking views on this subject.
You only made it to the polling station because taxiboy peeled your tongue off the window & drove you there.

Hello Archer how are you? Isn’t it a beautiful summers day in dear old Blighty
Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:10 - Jun 23 with 5587 viewsLord_Lucan

Not sure why this has got to 6 pages because the answer is simple.

We lost.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:14 - Jun 23 with 5576 viewspickles110564

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:10 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

We lost.

Good Afternoon Lord,

Did not know you were a remainer.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:16 - Jun 23 with 5572 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:10 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

We lost.

You lost a referendum two years ago. I think it's perfectly acceptable to campaign for a referendum on the final deal. Especially someone who is negatively affected by the weak pound.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:23 - Jun 23 with 5554 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:09 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

You must surely see the damage and divisions that would come with just reversing it?

Why not another referendum on the final deal?

Yep. Leave with the deal on offer, leave with no deal, or remain.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:25 - Jun 23 with 5546 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:23 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

Yep. Leave with the deal on offer, leave with no deal, or remain.

Not sure how it would work with three on the ballot. Unless the lowest vote percentage was eliminated and we voted again.

Truly impaired.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:28 - Jun 23 with 5537 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:09 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

You must surely see the damage and divisions that would come with just reversing it?

Why not another referendum on the final deal?

Because I don't trust our current politicians, media and frankly too many of the electorate to make any reasonable analysis of the final deal. Unfortunately that's where we are nowadays with our political system and debate. This is the source of the damage and divisions in our country not the solution.

It's time to put this lowest-common-denominator approach to running a country and representing people to bed.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:28 - Jun 23 with 5535 viewsSarge

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:16 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

You lost a referendum two years ago. I think it's perfectly acceptable to campaign for a referendum on the final deal. Especially someone who is negatively affected by the weak pound.

They wouldn’t like that. Don’t forget that leaving is the will of the people*
The fact that the people* are unable to provide decent arguments for it, and that all evidence points towards it having a net negative effect on everyone who lives in this country is irrelevant. We should shut up and stop complaining, if we don’t like it we can leave**

* minority of people
** except after next year it becomes much more difficult to leave
Login to get fewer ads

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:29 - Jun 23 with 5528 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:25 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

Not sure how it would work with three on the ballot. Unless the lowest vote percentage was eliminated and we voted again.

I think it's important that people's views are properly represented, if the deal on offer includes freedom of movement and access to the single market then some leavers would be happy with that but some wouldn't.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:32 - Jun 23 with 5510 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:29 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

I think it's important that people's views are properly represented, if the deal on offer includes freedom of movement and access to the single market then some leavers would be happy with that but some wouldn't.

I'd much rather we stay in than leave with free movement and the single market. Seems pointless.

Agree with you but if one gets 40% and the other two get 30% are we supposed to go with the 40%?

Truly impaired.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:32 - Jun 23 with 5509 viewsnoggin

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:29 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

I really don't see how any leavers would be happy with continuing to pay into the EU and having to accept the majority of their laws.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:33 - Jun 23 with 5508 viewsLord_Lucan

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:14 - Jun 23 by pickles110564

Good Afternoon Lord,

Did not know you were a remainer.

Yes, I am a big remainer - although the whole thing was a farce, as is The EU. The EU needs massive reform but leaving it is a big mistake.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:34 - Jun 23 with 5497 viewsSarge

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:32 - Jun 23 by noggin

I really don't see how any leavers would be happy with continuing to pay into the EU and having to accept the majority of their laws.

Draw it on the side of bus and they’ll come round to it.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2018 14:35]
Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:36 - Jun 23 with 5488 viewsLord_Lucan

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:16 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

The referendum was simple, in or out.

The problem is it was fought and debated by simpletons.

As much as I hate the idea of Brexit we have to go by the result, otherwise we cannot hold our heads up as a democracy.

It still beggars belief that we actually let the great unwashed vote on such a crucial matter.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:39 - Jun 23 with 5467 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:36 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

As much as I hate the idea of Brexit we have to go by the result, otherwise we cannot hold our heads up as a democracy.

It still beggars belief that we actually let the great unwashed vote on such a crucial matter.

What's undemocratic about another vote once the deal is known?

Truly impaired.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:39 - Jun 23 with 5464 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm gob-smacked that we could "hold our heads up as a democracy" before this. We've got the least-representative political system in the industrialised world. Add in how centralised it is too and it's an embarassment in this day and age.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:41 - Jun 23 with 5446 viewsHerbivore

The terms of the referendum were stupid all round to be honest. There never should have been one on such a complex issue but when they decided that they were going to have one they shouldn't have made it a simple in/out winner takes all vote. They had a professor of politics on after the referendum saying that it was basically idiocy to have a referendum on those terms when the stakes are so high, he said any change that significant should require a 60% vote share and over 75% voter turnout to be implemented. As it is we're taking a ridiculous course of action based on the vote of 16m people at a snapshot in time.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:44 - Jun 23 with 5436 viewsHerbivore

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:39 - Jun 23 by Darth_Koont

I'm gob-smacked that we could "hold our heads up as a democracy" before this. We've got the least-representative political system in the industrialised world. Add in how centralised it is too and it's an embarassment in this day and age.

Well quite. We live in a democracy where the majority of votes in our elections don't count for anything.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:02 - Jun 23 with 5400 viewsmanchego

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:44 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

Well quite. We live in a democracy where the majority of votes in our elections don't count for anything.

We routinely give overall majorities to parties with 42 - 43 % of the vote.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:05 - Jun 23 with 5400 viewsLord_Lucan

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:41 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

The terms of the referendum were stupid all round to be honest. There never should have been one on such a complex issue but when they decided that they were going to have one they shouldn't have made it a simple in/out winner takes all vote. They had a professor of politics on after the referendum saying that it was basically idiocy to have a referendum on those terms when the stakes are so high, he said any change that significant should require a 60% vote share and over 75% voter turnout to be implemented. As it is we're taking a ridiculous course of action based on the vote of 16m people at a snapshot in time.

That's all well and good but it is history now, we have to wipe our mouths and move on.

Of course the real problem is never addressed, The EU is a gravy train for unelected bureaucrats.

The EU needed massive transformation but no one spoke about it so we got Brexit.

Brexit and Trump are a direct result of people being afraid to debate complex issues.

Please don't take offence but to be honest Herby you are part of the problem, as soon as someone says something that you don't like on here you suggest they are a racist, it's pretty boring to be honest. The word racist is batted around too often for no reason, it is a tool to hit people with and to stop them from expressing their opinions.

Personally I am very much pro immigration, I genuinely get a lift when I'm out shopping and hear different languages, I love being able to buy quality fresh meat at a reasonable price from foreign mini marts.,I love the fact that I can buy fresh herbs, I love visiting Portuguese cafes for some quality coffee and I love the fact that these people wanted to come and live with us.

Trouble is, If anyone suggests for example that knife crime has surged nationwide largely due to unrestricted and unvetted mass immigration (which is as plain as day) they get called a racist. The result of this is that people think that UKIP and Tommy Robinson are the only ones listening.

Also, take Farage. He gets a pounding on here but he is an excellent orator and a very skilled man. He is very interesting to listen to and comes up with some great points. I also love listening to George Galloway, I think he is fantastic to listen to as well. By saying that either of these are skilled individuals doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything they say and I shouldn't be pigeon holed if I think they have a point about something.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:10 - Jun 23 with 5381 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:28 - Jun 23 by Darth_Koont

Because I don't trust our current politicians, media and frankly too many of the electorate to make any reasonable analysis of the final deal. Unfortunately that's where we are nowadays with our political system and debate. This is the source of the damage and divisions in our country not the solution.

It's time to put this lowest-common-denominator approach to running a country and representing people to bed.

"Because I don't trust our current politicians, media and frankly too many of the electorate"

Isn't that what people used to call fascism? You are basicaly advovating a dictatorship, disolving parliament, censorship of the press and an end to sufferage. All in one sentence. Wow. Seriously wow.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:12 - Jun 23 with 5371 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:10 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

"Because I don't trust our current politicians, media and frankly too many of the electorate"

Isn't that what people used to call fascism? You are basicaly advovating a dictatorship, disolving parliament, censorship of the press and an end to sufferage. All in one sentence. Wow. Seriously wow.

It's incredible arrogance and not worth even replying to IMO.

Truly impaired.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:18 - Jun 23 with 5352 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:05 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

That's all well and good but it is history now, we have to wipe our mouths and move on.

Of course the real problem is never addressed, The EU is a gravy train for unelected bureaucrats.

The EU needed massive transformation but no one spoke about it so we got Brexit.

Brexit and Trump are a direct result of people being afraid to debate complex issues.

Please don't take offence but to be honest Herby you are part of the problem, as soon as someone says something that you don't like on here you suggest they are a racist, it's pretty boring to be honest. The word racist is batted around too often for no reason, it is a tool to hit people with and to stop them from expressing their opinions.

Personally I am very much pro immigration, I genuinely get a lift when I'm out shopping and hear different languages, I love being able to buy quality fresh meat at a reasonable price from foreign mini marts.,I love the fact that I can buy fresh herbs, I love visiting Portuguese cafes for some quality coffee and I love the fact that these people wanted to come and live with us.

Trouble is, If anyone suggests for example that knife crime has surged nationwide largely due to unrestricted and unvetted mass immigration (which is as plain as day) they get called a racist. The result of this is that people think that UKIP and Tommy Robinson are the only ones listening.

Also, take Farage. He gets a pounding on here but he is an excellent orator and a very skilled man. He is very interesting to listen to and comes up with some great points. I also love listening to George Galloway, I think he is fantastic to listen to as well. By saying that either of these are skilled individuals doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything they say and I shouldn't be pigeon holed if I think they have a point about something.

Spot on. If you keep calling everyone a racist then you make the meaning of the word worthless. People become anaesthetized to the word. Because they have heard their mate Jim who voted UKip called a racist. But you know he isn't. And your mate Fred who is concerned about the levels of immigration is also called a racist. And you knew he isn't a racist.

That is how the far right take hold in communities. Becuase when genueine racists apear people simply shrug their shoulders as they ahve heard it all before.

Herbie is a perfect example of this. I have lost count how many times he has called out people who voted for Brexit as racists.

Iron Lion Zion

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:22 - Jun 23 with 5342 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:12 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

It's incredible arrogance and not worth even replying to IMO.

If I ever have a moment of doubt regarding my vote I shall simply re read that post.

Iron Lion Zion

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:25 - Jun 23 with 5330 viewslinhdi

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:44 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

I have voted in every parliamentary election since1979. I have never had a vote count, due to our archaic and unrepresentative FPTP system.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024